weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Hey Mandy :)

Think you have covered yourself for yum, as you say it is very hard at times to get insperation, well lit though, and I could do with both items at the moment :)

Loud - Liking the shape of the speaker, a little tidy up with the background RH and cable would easily improve it, as it has a nice shine and good detail, DoF looks nice too :)

AND 2 shots box's ticked (y)

Hey Mandy :)

Think you have covered yourself for yum, as you say it is very hard at times to get insperation, well lit though, and I could do with both items at the moment :)

Loud - Liking the shape of the speaker, a little tidy up with the background RH and cable would easily improve it, as it has a nice shine and good detail, DoF looks nice too :)

AND 2 shots box's ticked (y)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting much appreciated.

well onto another week the time is flying past, before i know it it will soon be Christmas. First up i have my re shoot for loud as i was not very happy with my original image, the image was taken when i went to watch a few off the planes at Fairford and for me it was my first outing trying to catch mighty fast jets with my 600D. My offering for Rich will be posted later on when i can come up with something interesting to do, as always comments and crit most welcome.

Loud Reshoot

Jet by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy

Loud has possibilities...... looks fairly sharp viewed larger on flickr , love the trails off the wing tip n & you've kept some detail in the sky which is all good :) Needs a little more exposure for me on the jet to pull it out of the clouds & to be less central...smidge off the rhs & stick it on the lhs to give the jet room to fly in to

YUM.....a bit late to the party on this one so apologies if repeating comments....lower POV would feel better to me, not much just a smidge , turn the muffin so the sticky up edge of the paper case is out of view & straighten the image ( maybe the shooting angle causing the bg to look wonky ?

Loud.....I'm sure it is..screen filling close up might make it pop more ?

Hi Mandy

Loud has possibilities...... looks fairly sharp viewed larger on flickr , love the trails off the wing tip n & you've kept some detail in the sky which is all good :) Needs a little more exposure for me on the jet to pull it out of the clouds & to be less central...smidge off the rhs & stick it on the lhs to give the jet room to fly in to

YUM.....a bit late to the party on this one so apologies if repeating comments....lower POV would feel better to me, not much just a smidge , turn the muffin so the sticky up edge of the paper case is out of view & straighten the image ( maybe the shooting angle causing the bg to look wonky ?

Loud.....I'm sure it is..screen filling close up might make it pop more ?

Thanks very much for the comments i do agree with you about the jet, i will have another look at it when i have my main pc back up and running as it has developed a bit of a mood swing tonight.

Hi Mandy, that horrible grey sky that kills air show pictures. :( Ask Paul (@pjm1) nicely, and he might even stick it on a blue sky for you :LOL:

Definately looks like it needs a crop, and maybe a shadow lift to try to bring some detail into the underside of the jet.

But I will agree, definately LOUD! :)

Hi Mandy, that horrible grey sky that kills air show pictures. :( Ask Paul (@pjm1) nicely, and he might even stick it on a blue sky for you :LOL:

Definately looks like it needs a crop, and maybe a shadow lift to try to bring some detail into the underside of the jet.

But I will agree, definately LOUD! :)

Thanks Graham for dropping by and commenting, I agree the grey sky sucks.

Here you go Mandy... at the very least this gives me more PP practice!

(I promise am going to get round to catching up with my comments at some point this weekend...):
pjm1's not quite perfect sky replacement for Mandy

Edit: btw Mandy, I like your original pic and grey skies are often what we have... hey ho. The jet itself seemed quite noisy (not "loud" noisy!) - was it at high ISO? (I can't remember the EXIF settings now I'm typing this).

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, its already been mentioned about lifting the shadows for some more detail to the bottom of the jet
the sky is rather grey but then we have to take what we are given really, a bit tighter with the crop might have helped a little

Hi Mandy ....we can't control the weather....worst luck. The plane fits loud perfectly, well frozen in the sky and even if they are a bit feint I like the smoke trails (?)

That's true we cant thanks for dropping by.

Here you go Mandy... at the very least this gives me more PP practice!

(I promise am going to get round to catching up with my comments at some point this weekend...):
pjm1's not quite perfect sky replacement for Mandy

Edit: btw Mandy, I like your original pic and grey skies are often what we have... hey ho. The jet itself seemed quite noisy (not "loud" noisy!) - was it at high ISO? (I can't remember the EXIF settings now I'm typing this).

Thanks for the edit it looks great, I could of changed my sky my self but I ran out off time to do it as other things got in my way. as for my camera settings with out checking my self I think my iso was quite high I was merely guessing at my settings as they shift a bit quicker in the sky than the motorbikes I am used to photographing. And the image is a fairly heavy crop as well which didn't help my cause, hopefully next time it will be better.

Well I have not as yet thought of anything for the " Rich theme " so I hang my head in shame:( and admit that for the first time i am going to make do with my Re shoot image for week 28. So i am now moving onto week 29 and the theme Skill which I will admit to it being a slight bit of a cop out from me as it's an archive image and my first and last. It was taken back earlier this year at Castle combe bike safe day Steve Coley on his stunt motorbike which takes a lot of Skill to do what he can do on his bike. Moving on to a new theme with positive ideas for it in the hope I can catch up with my comments and crit on the forum.

Skill

Skill by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Hi Mandy

Skill well timed and good composition, everything is sharp and in focus so well done. Might be better with a shallower DoF so that the crowd is less obvious?

Hi Mandy - bang on theme, obviously. I guess you're limited by the position you can get yourself in... after all, it's a show full of people and barging others out of the way isn't really done!

Good capture (focus, timing etc.). Composition could be improved IMO, but given the restrictions above, you've done well. Perhaps a touch more space for him to hop into on the right? Shallower DOF would cerrtainly help as well, as Richard suggests.

Hi Mandy, yep, certainly plenty of skill needed to do that, I like the shot (y), every thing else has been said :)

Hi Mandy - bang on theme, obviously. I guess you're limited by the position you can get yourself in... after all, it's a show full of people and barging others out of the way isn't really done!

Good capture (focus, timing etc.). Composition could be improved IMO, but given the restrictions above, you've done well. Perhaps a touch more space for him to hop into on the right? Shallower DOF would cerrtainly help as well, as Richard suggests.

Hi Mandy ...it certainly fits the theme well....a nice frozen action shot.

HI Mandy - Skill - nice shot excellent detail certainly on theme , crowd / DOF been mentioned

hope you find your mojo again for the next theme :)

Hi Mandy, yep, certainly plenty of skill needed to do that, I like the shot (y), every thing else has been said :)

Thanks all for the comments much appreciated.

HI Mandy

I really must get to see Steve Colley at some point...the control he has over the bike is just amazing !
To the shot.... Not gonna comment on the framing/position etc because I know how hard it is shooting at these events with people getting in the way all the time......bloomin frustrating to say the least !

Were you shooting in to the light ? I ask because the light seems really harsh partic on the faces of the crowd , the blacks look a little too black/harsh if that's even possible ! Maybe oversharpened or too much contrast ? The white of his shirt has also gone a bit blue ( or was it blue to start with ) yet his boots seem perfectly white :thinking: I'd also have tried to clone out the little bit of the red box creeping in to the rhs of the frame . Sorry if this sounds harsh , no offence intended :oops: :$

HI Mandy

I really must get to see Steve Colley at some point...the control he has over the bike is just amazing !
To the shot.... Not gonna comment on the framing/position etc because I know how hard it is shooting at these events with people getting in the way all the time......bloomin frustrating to say the least !

Were you shooting in to the light ? I ask because the light seems really harsh partic on the faces of the crowd , the blacks look a little too black/harsh if that's even possible ! Maybe oversharpened or too much contrast ? The white of his shirt has also gone a bit blue ( or was it blue to start with ) yet his boots seem perfectly white :thinking: I'd also have tried to clone out the little bit of the red box creeping in to the rhs of the frame . Sorry if this sounds harsh , no offence intended :oops: :$

Thanks for the comments I agree whole heartily with you.

I have been waiting for the right opportunity for something to pop along for the " rich " theme and it finally happened earlier on in the week. It's a photo i took of a Cessna 172sp skyhawk when i was at Cotswold airport the other day, and my link to the theme is you have to be very Rich to be able to own one and keep up with the maintenance costs fuel etc etc. And if your not lucky enough to own one you still have to be very rich in order to learn to fly in one, so i am hoping there is no crowbar needed to fit the theme. Now i have that theme out the way which has been bugging me i can now move onto to the next 2 themes and get my self up to date with thing.

Rich

cessna 172 by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Nice one Mandy... perfectly on theme.

Exposure: looks good, white plane is white! Nice saturation on the green grass and blue hangars. Could maybe bring out a tiny amount more shadow detail from the trees but that is a super quibble!
Focus/DOF: looks spot on to me.
Straightness: hard to judge but looks to my eye pretty good with maybe a small CW tweak... very happy to be told to go back in my box on that one though as I'm far from convinced myself!
Composition: a fair take... other than getting further back and being able to frame it within the hangar, hard to see how to improve. Could maybe have a touch more space in front (left)?
Overall: very good shot. I like it.

Nice one Mandy... perfectly on theme.

Exposure: looks good, white plane is white! Nice saturation on the green grass and blue hangars. Could maybe bring out a tiny amount more shadow detail from the trees but that is a super quibble!
Focus/DOF: looks spot on to me.
Straightness: hard to judge but looks to my eye pretty good with maybe a small CW tweak... very happy to be told to go back in my box on that one though as I'm far from convinced myself!
Composition: a fair take... other than getting further back and being able to frame it within the hangar, hard to see how to improve. Could maybe have a touch more space in front (left)?
Overall: very good shot. I like it.

Thanks for the comments I have to admit I had my 70 - 300 mm lens on and because I was able to get so close I should of gone for my normal kit lens. But I have to sadly admit I was not functioning all that well that day, but we live and learn.

Hmmm, not exactly a Learjet is it - more small business owner than Arab oil sheikh :D Good shot of the plane though. Only thing I'd change would be to possibly get rid of the blue sign growing out of the wing which I find a little distracting.

Hi Mandy, certainly out of my price range, it could do with filling the frame more to lose some of the BG distractions or as said above maybe a wider shot :thinking:

Hi Mandy - Rich looks great to me some issues with composition as already pointed out but I imagine you were restricted to where you could get the shot from. Everything is week focussed and exposed so good job

Back