weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Hi Mandy, the remote as you say not the most exciting image the rose has potential but as has been mentioned the BG lets it down, well done for catching up

Reshoot is an interesting take. Don't see many mono roses so a bold take. Good detail and nice low angle. However, it's really let down by the BG. I use a cheap large piece of white card I bought from Hobby Craft, works a great to isolate subjects.

Strong, nice produce shot. You've done well to control the lighting. Lower let has been mentioned.

Cheers.

Reshoot is an interesting take. Don't see many mono roses so a bold take. Good detail and nice low angle. However, it's really let down by the BG. I use a cheap large piece of white card I bought from Hobby Craft, works a great to isolate subjects.

Strong, nice produce shot. You've done well to control the lighting. Lower let has been mentioned.

Cheers.

Hi Mandy

Numbers - on theme and ticks the box

Re-shoot - its a better image nice detail processing is good

Strong - great detail, lighting looks good shadow has been done :)

Craig

Numbers: Nice and bright but the wooden background looks a little green

Number - good popping colour on the remote and the diag helps a lot. Very clear where it needs to be. B/g lets it down tho.
Swirl - good moody shot as said by Lynne. lovely swirl - B/g lets it down a lot I feel
Strong - decent product shot. Just lighting issues as said.

Thanks all for the comments and for taking the time to look.

well onto week 22 and the theme Texture i am going for a very liberal use of the crowbar for my image. The image was taken on Sunday when i was on my way back from having spent a couple of days down in westward Ho, with my fella went to meet his mum and step dad for the first time and really enjoyed my self. Even tho i was bricking it originally, i am very nervous when it comes to that sort of thing. Any way enough babbling on from me the idea behind this image for " texture" is the roughness off the rocks contrasting against the smoothness off the seagulls feathers. I took the shot with my 600D and my new Sigma lens when we had a quick pit stop in Lynmouth, pp wise i have cropped and straightened the image and upped the whites and exposure in lightroom and then i added a frame in photoshop which left me pulling my hair out as i couldn't get the frame effect i was after.

Texture

Texture by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Pleasant photrgraph, well composed with good detail where neded and nice DOF.

Feels a little cold; I'd like a bit of warmth in there,

Cheers and I love the seaside :)

Hi Mandy, nice sharp pic of the seagull saw another of yours, a seagull in flight maybe on your 365 which was also very good
nothing to crit with this one well ok a bit of a crowbar, nothing wrong with that though

Pleasant photrgraph, well composed with good detail where neded and nice DOF.

Feels a little cold; I'd like a bit of warmth in there,

Cheers and I love the seaside :)

Hi Mandy, nice sharp pic of the seagull saw another of yours, a seagull in flight maybe on your 365 which was also very good
nothing to crit with this one well ok a bit of a crowbar, nothing wrong with that though

Hi Mandy - great seagull picture the composition works well, eye is piercing just cant see the link to Texture? :thinking:

Thanks all for taking the time to comment on my work, i really do appreciate it. I did say that i needed a liberal helping of the crowbar to make the image work for the theme.

Cracking shot Mandy and no problem fitting in with the theme for me - I can feel the roughness of that rock it's standing on! Only crit would be the proportions. Not sure why you've cropped it so wide - I think you could easily lose some of the empty space on either side without any detrimental effect on the composition.

Cracking shot Mandy and no problem fitting in with the theme for me - I can feel the roughness of that rock it's standing on! Only crit would be the proportions. Not sure why you've cropped it so wide - I think you could easily lose some of the empty space on either side without any detrimental effect on the composition.

Thanks for the comments

Hi Mandy, plenty of texture, detail looks good, the eye really pops (y)...............agree with Andy, could do with a little warmth......not a big fan of the border either, it just doesn't suit the image to me :)

Hi Mandy,
I like your rose, and the spanner will certainly do strong work (y)
texture..Plenty of texture in the rock and beach, the colour is ok for me looks like a typical summers day in this country, the seagull is a lovely bonus bright sharp eye well caught (y)(y)

Hi Mandy, plenty of texture, detail looks good, the eye really pops (y)...............agree with Andy, could do with a little warmth......not a big fan of the border either, it just doesn't suit the image to me :)

Hi Mandy,
I like your rose, and the spanner will certainly do strong work (y)
texture..Plenty of texture in the rock and beach, the colour is ok for me looks like a typical summers day in this country, the seagull is a lovely bonus bright sharp eye well caught (y)(y)

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Nice shot, Mandy and great detail on the head & stem. Great focusing/dof choice (looks very very slightly OOF on the right of the daisy head, but that might well be my eyes...)

If I were being hypercritical I might suggest cloning out the daisy intruding from the right side of the frame... not cropping though because the placement of the subject is perfect for me. I'd be very happy with this shot!

Also - is it me or is it quite noisy (I did a bit of a pixelpeep on Flickr) for 400 ISO? I'm guessing you added no NR in post? Obviously doesn't matter one iota at this resolution though...

Nice shot, Mandy and great detail on the head & stem. Great focusing/dof choice (looks very very slightly OOF on the right of the daisy head, but that might well be my eyes...)

If I were being hypercritical I might suggest cloning out the daisy intruding from the right side of the frame... not cropping though because the placement of the subject is perfect for me. I'd be very happy with this shot!

Also - is it me or is it quite noisy (I did a bit of a pixelpeep on Flickr) for 400 ISO? I'm guessing you added no NR in post? Obviously doesn't matter one iota at this resolution though...

Thanks for your detailed comments, yes I did add some noise reduction in pp work. May look a little soft as it was windy and they were blowing about in the breeze a bit.

Lovely shot.

I agree with Paul about the daisy on the far right though, flowers eh, never grown where or how you want them :D

Hi, cant add to whats been said, bit more isolation to the subject matter would help

HI Mandy
Texture......lovely n sharp , good focus on the eye & well placed in the frame (y) A little more warmth I agree with but plenty of detail on the rock so fits the theme

Wild....all has been said , well placed ,good DOF and well exposed (y) Shame you couldn't do a bit of gardening to lse the stray daisy's in the bg

HI Mandy
Texture......lovely n sharp , good focus on the eye & well placed in the frame (y) A little more warmth I agree with but plenty of detail on the rock so fits the theme

Wild....all has been said , well placed ,good DOF and well exposed (y) Shame you couldn't do a bit of gardening to lse the stray daisy's in the bg

Thanks for the comments, and for taking the time to look I agree with the distracting daisy could do with cloning it out.

Hi Mandy

Numbers - Good DoF getting all the numbers generally in focus, not so keen on the knotty background, although natural the knots are a tad overpowering, maybe a B&W would work ?? - The angle sure helps :)

Swirl - A cracking flower, really like the processing, but feel the wonky background lets the shot down, a nice plain backdrop (even a piece of plain paper) would boost this hugely, the lighting and shadows on the petals are very nice, again I like the angle you have chosen too :)

Strong/Strength - Nice shiny spanner, but feel it needs context, the spanner on a bolt or in a greasy hand would improve it, again it's well lit and nice to see an angle :)

Texture - I see what you were going for with this one, the bird stands out beautifully, liking the crop too - Nice One :)

Wild - A cracking Daisy, as said by others I concur with the thoughts on the background, with 5 mins of cloning would make this good image into a great image, positioning is good in frame, the background (the green bits) is lovely and again well lit (y)

I hope you don't mind the crit, you are very capable but feel for some shots you are just wanting to get the shot done and dusted, we are all here to learn and improve after all :)

Hi Mandy

Numbers - Good DoF getting all the numbers generally in focus, not so keen on the knotty background, although natural the knots are a tad overpowering, maybe a B&W would work ?? - The angle sure helps :)

Swirl - A cracking flower, really like the processing, but feel the wonky background lets the shot down, a nice plain backdrop (even a piece of plain paper) would boost this hugely, the lighting and shadows on the petals are very nice, again I like the angle you have chosen too :)

Strong/Strength - Nice shiny spanner, but feel it needs context, the spanner on a bolt or in a greasy hand would improve it, again it's well lit and nice to see an angle :)

Texture - I see what you were going for with this one, the bird stands out beautifully, liking the crop too - Nice One :)

Wild - A cracking Daisy, as said by others I concur with the thoughts on the background, with 5 mins of cloning would make this good image into a great image, positioning is good in frame, the background (the green bits) is lovely and again well lit (y)

I hope you don't mind the crit, you are very capable but feel for some shots you are just wanting to get the shot done and dusted, we are all here to learn and improve after all :)

Thank you ever so much for your detailed crit and comments much appreciated, and very much welcome and needed. I do agree i tend to post in haste of late as my time is limited due to spending time with my fella who doesn't love or understand photography as much as i do, and there have been other things going on with my life i admit i am struggling to keep everyone and everything happy and find a nice balance. so as a result i have not been putting much thought or effort into what i am doing, i need to make much more off an effort into to and it's what i plan to start doing from now on.

You're welcome Mandy, glad to hear that on all counts (bar the lack of time...) tell that there fella of yours who wears the trousers :D

Yes indeed, once i get my ex partner and a close friends funeral out the way this Friday i will be putting much more effort into my images and i aim to learn a bit more on the pp side of things.

Well where do the weeks go ? Now onto week 24 and onto the theme Dream/Dreamy and as promised i have spent a bit more time on my pp work for this image, my idea for this theme is a image of a little boy statue i seen as to me the look on his face suggests he is dreaming about something. while i was at symonds yat on Tuesday with my fella we had a beautiful walk in the woods. And i even got to see a peregrine falcon fledgling through a Digi scope which for me was the highlight of the afternoon. The first image is the socc shot, the image was taken on my 400D and my sigma 70-300 mm lens.

SOCC image

Dream by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Dream

Dream by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dream: I like it Mandy but I wonder if it would have looked even stronger with less DOF still? Maybe f/1.8 at 50mm or even a telephoto at f/2.8? Not sure how far back the background bush is but I think blurrier would make the statue pop and suit the theme even more.

I do like it though! Great take on the theme...

Back