My Holy Grail ***Second Image Added***

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after 2 years of light trailing, and hundreds of exposures past I've finally managed to capture what I've always considered to be the holy grail of light trails blues and two's in a single exposures on both carriageways :D

This just had to be my photo of the day for today, I think that is possible one of the best light trails that I've ever captured

328/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

70 seconds / f/22 / ISO100 with a ND8 Soft Grad

As with all my images C&C welcomed and appreciated :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Nice one Matt, great shot.
I haven't captured any blues, closest I've got is a police car pulling up behind me to ask what I was doing.

Very nice matt I will have to have a go at doing one of these.

Stunning shot Matt, patience and perseverance paid off big style. 5*

Thanks Will, indeed it has (y) I'm pleased you like it

Nice one Matt, great shot.
I haven't captured any blues, closest I've got is a police car pulling up behind me to ask what I was doing.

Thank you Graham, welcome to the forum :wave: I've had loads of dealing with the police when out light trailing there is a photo in my 365 to prove :naughty: it took me approx 12 months to get my first blues, but then took a fellow member out to give them a lesson in light trails and they got some on there first session it's a matter of luck :bang:

well done Matt, thats one to get :clap:

Thanks Dave, your all to aware just how much I've tried to get this one :D

Very nice matt I will have to have a go at doing one of these.

Thanks Kev, you should give it a go (y) they are very satisfying (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

Well done :clap: as I have already commented in your 365.

You need a pat on the back for this one .... it is brilliant!

Cheers

Dawn :)

just saw it on flickr - stunning shot, how you get it with no gaps is perfection

Hiya Matt,

Well done :clap: as I have already commented in your 365.

You need a pat on the back for this one .... it is brilliant!

Cheers

Thank you Dawn :D I'm feeling brilliant after these evening trailing exploit's I'm just processing a second images from at different angle but also featuring a bit of a flashing light fun :D that should be posted shortly in the thread

just saw it on flickr - stunning shot, how you get it with no gaps is perfection

Thanks Summer, I've been doing them for so long not it's second nature but it's all about watching the traffic to see what's happening and where to ensure that you get the nice smooth and unbroken trails, also to do with the length of exposure also :D

Well done Matt :clap: it is brilliant.:notworthy:

Thanks you, it's a great example from me, but still I look for the blushes smiley :D

Matt
MWHCVT

As I alluded to earlier I also have this one that I captured this evening that also came out really well and this time had a police car and a truck with amber beacons on it on the other carriageway (y)

Flashy Trails by mwhcvt, on Flickr

That's a great image, Matthew. I am glad your efforts were rewarded...it must have felt sweet!

Thank you, it felt amazing to finally get what I'd been aiming for :D

:plus1: especially for the delicate sunset colours which don't overwhelm the trails.

Thanks it was the perfect conditions for a great trail this evening without the amazing bonus of the blues (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

Just seen the 2nd shot ..... which has amazing colours, especially that sky! WOW!

Only tiny little nit picks for me would be to clone out the few light dots, on the hill in the distance (just off centre), just below the staggered lights just off left and the tiny dot just right of the right hand light trail.

I'd also be tempted to perhaps do a slight crop on the right where there is a bit of OOF light burst from the lights in the distance. I just feel as it is the lights have a starting point, and it would look better if they had a more infinitum appearance .... i.e., a sense of where they are coming from.

Other than that I absolutely love this shot! And for me is the best of the two and one I would love to capture at some point.

Well done! You have defo had a successful evening of light trails (y)

Cheers

Hiya Matt,

Just seen the 2nd shot ..... which has amazing colours, especially that sky! WOW!

Only tiny little nit picks for me would be to clone out the few light dots, on the hill in the distance (just off centre), just below the staggered lights just off left and the tiny dot just right of the right hand light trail.

I'd also be tempted to perhaps do a slight crop on the right where there is a bit of OOF light burst from the lights in the distance. I just feel as it is the lights have a starting point, and it would look better if they had a more infinitum appearance .... i.e., a sense of where they are coming from.

Other than that I absolutely love this shot! And for me is the best of the two and one I would love to capture at some point.

Well done! You have defo had a successful evening of light trails (y)

Cheers

I'll edit them there spot's of light out in a little bit, I'm not sure how I missed them as I'd already taken some out on the left of frame :bang: :bang: I see what you mean about the end of the trails (y)

It was the perfect evening for it, I knew that before I went out but didn't dream I would get my holy grail trail twice over :woot:

Matt

congrats matt :)

so satisfying when the "picture in your head" becomes reality! (y)

x

just what are these blue lights you speak of? Living in rural South Norfolk I also am completely confused as to how there is more than one lane of traffic going in the same direction at the same time???

very nicely done indeed, really like the landscape and sky in the background, living in rural Devon I'd need an exposure of about 3 weeks to get that many cars to go by let alone see a copper :LOL:

:LOL: Thanks, I seems odd that there are so many different degrees of rural, I'm born and bread rural Warwickshire, which is where I still live but I could list 20 brilliant motor bridges on 5 different motorways within 10-15 miles from my home, but then that's what comes from living in the heart of the motorway network

congrats matt :)

so satisfying when the "picture in your head" becomes reality! (y)

x

Indeed it is, thank you :D

just what are these blue lights you speak of? Living in rural South Norfolk I also am completely confused as to how there is more than one lane of traffic going in the same direction at the same time???

:LOL: but they have boat's in Norfolk :LOL: I know I've seen them, and been cautioned for speeding by them 6mph in a 4mph zone :naughty: well I know you have at least one light trail location in Norfolk I think

Matt
MWHCVT

Great work Matt.. :clap:

Blue's n great skies...what a brill evening...gonna try n get out & have another practice...you always have this effect on me :LOL:

Great work Matt.. :clap:

Blue's n great skies...what a brill evening...gonna try n get out & have another practice...you always have this effect on me :LOL:

:LOL: I've and a few effect's on women but never that :eek: I'm pleased that you like it :D and I hope you get some great trails the next time that your out (y)

Matt

:LOL: I've and a few effect's on women but never that :eek: I'm pleased that you like it :D and I hope you get some great trails the next time that your out (y)

Matt

Woohooo Matt, I told you .... you have something special :p

Believe me .... with me and Lynne after you ..... you will be running for your life and maybe then Lynne and I can capture some fab star trails ;)

:LOL:

Dx

Well after 2 years of light trailing, and hundreds of exposures past I've finally managed to capture what I've always considered to be the holy grail of light trails blues and two's in a single exposures on both carriageways :D

This just had to be my photo of the day for today, I think that is possible one of the best light trails that I've ever captured

328/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

70 seconds / f/22 / ISO100 with a ND8 Soft Grad

As with all my images C&C welcomed and appreciated :D

Matt
MWHCVT

You lucky sod!!!, Excellent! and have to agree defo one of the best so far:clap:(y)

2 Really Cool Shots Nice !

Thank you :D

Woohooo Matt, I told you .... you have something special :p

Believe me .... with me and Lynne after you ..... you will be running for your life and maybe then Lynne and I can capture some fab star trails ;)

Dx

:LOL: that's me stuffed then as I don't do running :help: I'm not built for that :eek:

They are superb Matt - really impressed :clap:

Cheers DK, I really was lucky ;)

You lucky sod!!!, Excellent! and have to agree defo one of the best so far:clap:(y)

Cheer's mate and to think that I nearly called you to come but knew you would be getting ready for work and the detour would have made me late to location sorry mate :eek:

Matt
MWHCVT

:LOL: that's me stuffed then as I don't do running :help: I'm not built for that :eek:

Matt
MWHCVT

But you are built for other things :naughty: that you don't have to run away from ;)

D x

But you are built for other things :naughty: that you don't have to run away from ;)

D x

:eek:

You jammy git, Fantastic shot.

I must get out and do some more of these, but everytime i want to go its either been foggy or totally dark when i get there :(

Thanks, It's taken me a lot of cold evenings to get this :D I hope that you get out soon to get some trails (y)

Matt

That's great! Not only the blues, but the lane division on the left carriageway really makes it.

Super!

I will try, hopefully conditions are right over this weekend :)

It's looking got for light trails at the moment. the weather is good and perfect time of the year (y)

That's great! Not only the blues, but the lane division on the left carriageway really makes it.

Super!

Thank you :D it's come out perfectly :D

Wow, thats great, Ive always wanted to attempt doing this myself. this really makes me want to go out and play in traffic! HAHA!

Thank you, I've been doing them for a long time so it's great to know that I can do them well :D you may want to give my guide to light trails a read as this will give you a good start on getting the most from light trails, there is a link to it in my signature (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

[S4]:police: Great Capture! :police:[/S4]
So, now that you've achieved this Holy Grail, you're going to have to do it again, only this time with yellow breakdown strobes on both hard shoulders as well. :D

[S4]:police: Great Capture! :police:[/S4]
So, now that you've achieved this Holy Grail, you're going to have to do it again, only this time with yellow breakdown strobes on both hard shoulders as well. :D

Thank you Vicky, now there's a challenge, I was thinking that possibly the ultimate of ultimate flashing lights to capture would be the green of a doctor on call :thinking: but I've only ever seen one in 26 years on this earth, so don't rate my chances of capturing one of those as part of a trail..

Matt

Thank you Vicky, now there's a challenge, I was thinking that possibly the ultimate of ultimate flashing lights to capture would be the green of a doctor on call :thinking: but I've only ever seen one in 26 years on this earth, so don't rate my chances of capturing one of those as part of a trail..

Matt
I've seen several doctors cars with the green light fitted, but never once seen one lit up.
I guess if you ever see one on a motorway, it would mean something very bad has happened to someone up ahead. :(

Back