weekly Nick65's 52 in 2015 - week 4- Companions added

Hi Nick :)

Sorry for the delay ion getting around to your thread... I finally have a break from new entrants being added so am now working my way through...

Pattern - Another vote for the colour shot here, fantastic detail, really well lit and great colour too, a perfect winter pattern :)

Bliss - Oooo warm toasty feet, I don't have a real fire currently bit that sure looks like and reminds me of blissfull evenings in previous homes, again well presented and composed shot.

A great start to your 52 (y)

Pattern - Super shot. I do prefer the colour version for this as the brown gives the image an added sense of nature and with the strong frost on the leaves

great idea would like to have seen a more roaring fire more flames

Thanks all.

Apologies for the delay in responding, I don't know where this week has gone. I really should have replied sooner but I do appreciate all of your comments.

It looks like the colour version of the ferns was the preferred image. I do have another version that I've converted to a bluish duo tone, but I'll not bore you with it :D

And Simon, it would have been better with more of a roaring fire. It wasn't until after I put my camera away, that I thought I'd put some more wood on the fire!!. ;)

This wasn't my original idea for this week's theme, but it was one of my 'banker' shots, so I'll put it in for the moment and maybe revisit my other idea, if and when I get a chance.

Fragile honesty:

Honesty - Lunaria annua by NickGray65, on Flickr

Hi Nick

Bliss....oooooh yes please...heaven indeed ......as others have said it works really well (y)

Fragile......not seen those for ages, they really are very fragile looking , I like the light on them & the DOF :) Would really have loved a much closer shot though to show just how fragile they are....................

Thanks all for the comments. This is pretty much SOOC, so I could do a crop but I'm not totally happy with the shot anyway. Ideally, I would have liked the seeds to have still been in their pods on the right hand side, so I would see them in silhouette, but I guess that the seeds drop as their cover dries.

I feel that its a little jumbled TBH Nick, but nice light hitting the back trees (y)

Hi Nick, with regards to Bliss, the lighting etc, just exudes the feeling of warmth, it is also exentuated by the thick woolly socks, giving that wintry feel. The only thing I could add, would be to agree with Simon as to having the roaring flames, but hey, I'm just being picky.

As to Scenic, I'm afraid it doesn't quite work for me, as Chris has said the lighting on the trees is now however, overall I find my eyes wandering around the image trying to find something to focus on. I think this is mainly down to the lack of a clear focal point.

But back to Bliss I like it, I like it a lot :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. And looking back at bliss now, you are absolutely right Chris, it should have more of a fire.

I see what you both mean about there's nothing in the image to let the eye settle on. I liked the sun highlighting the birches in the background whilst the foreground was still covered in frost and the overall changes in colour and contrasts.

I know we are only 3 weeks in, but I seem to be struggling each week, both finding the time and trying to think of something appropriate. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Darran and Mandy for your comments on my 'scenic' image. It's really interesting to hear how others see one's photos, it gives me some direction in which to improve.

Ok, so here's my take on companions. It does make me wonder why we have salt and pepper as condiments and why not something else, like marmalade and nutmeg for example. :D

Salt-and-pepper-Week4-Companions by NickGray65, on Flickr

Great idea for companions Nick, well lit and nicely positioned. For improvement IMHO I would either straighten the P on the pepper grinder or move the salt to another angle.

Great idea for companions Nick, well lit and nicely positioned. For improvement IMHO I would either straighten the P on the pepper grinder or move the salt to another angle.
Thanks for the comment Colin, I see what you mean about the wonky 'P' now, and I should have perhaps straightened it when I was removing the camera and tripod reflections from chrome tops - I've also noticed, since looking at this again that the 'S' seems to be upside down as well. :(

I thought the s was perhaps upside down but was unsure. Neither of these are problems though, no reason they should be straight to camera. It was purely that my initial thought was it looked like you had straightened the s for the shot and therefore the p looked a bit off. (y)

I thought the s was perhaps upside down but was unsure. Neither of these are problems though, no reason they should be straight to camera. It was purely that my initial thought was it looked like you had straightened the s for the shot and therefore the p looked a bit off. (y)
It took me about 20 minutes to set up the angle-poise lamp, tripod, shaving mirror, diffuser, reflector, block off the light coming through the window in the door, frame the shot, move the salt and pepper pots so they were on the third's etc, then another half hour or so at the PC to clone out the reflections. And it's only when its posted online that I notice that the 'S' is upside down. No wonder I lost my mojo!! :D

... the 'S' is upside down! and so it should be, this is art not science. ;)

Hi, your link in the photographs thread doesn't seem to be working (y)

Like it. Nice simple idea, I do like my symmetry and it's a little off. I suspect it's the shadow but it doesn't look like you are right above the salt and pepper pots.

Cheers.

Companions - nice to see a different take on the theme, I like the composition of the image the only thing I would be tempted to do would be to straighten the P out. A nice clear background works well for this image, and is lit nicely.

Hi, your link in the photographs thread doesn't seem to be working (y)

Like it. Nice simple idea, I do like my symmetry and it's a little off. I suspect it's the shadow but it doesn't look like you are right above the salt and pepper pots.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I'm not sure if the symmetry is off, as I tried to get the tops of both the salt and pepper on the third junctions of the grid on live view, but I agree that the P is in focus, and the S is out of focus, I think the angle of the lens wasn't parallel to the tops of the salt and pepper pots so when I zoomed in and focused on the P, I should have also checked that the S was in focus as well.

Companions - nice to see a different take on the theme, I like the composition of the image the only thing I would be tempted to do would be to straighten the P out. A nice clear background works well for this image, and is lit nicely.
Thanks for the comment Mandy, as mentioned earlier, the P is wonky, but because of the way the light/shade is hitting it, I don't think I'd be able to rotate the P without quite a bit more work in PS, so I'm going to leave it, to try and remind me to try to get it right 'in camera'.

In my defence, the salt and pepper pots were on the kitchen table, with the tripod on the floor, fully extended, so it meant to frame the shot, the back of the camera was nearly touching the ceiling, and I had to stand on a chair, so looking at live view was interesting :)

Cheers

Nick

Still life always looks easy until you try it :runaway:

Good idea for companions and just a bit more time thinking about the actual placement before you shoot would save PP time later - perhaps you could have shot it on the floor instead of the table. I keep coloured card, cheap black or white sheets or pillowcases and a few odd cheap tiles to make it a bit more flexible where I can shoot.

Companions: Great shot. Nice match between the grinders and the BG colour. Only crit is similar to others. I can't decide if the grain in the grinders should be aligned with the S & P or the manufacturers name. Lovely shot nevertheless (y)

Back