weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Cheers guys,

Alan, do you not think that the shadow is needed (not that I considered whether it should or shouldn't be there when I set up or took or processed the shot(s)), to provide the depth to the hands part, in order to differentiate them more from the flat 2D drawing of the cuffs?? :shrug:

Good point which I understand, and it was only a minor comment from me. I think it is because the shadow spills onto the grey background and so looks a bit muddy to me.

Hi Graham
Friendship - good story, nice colours and feel of movement.
sleek - super. Cats are so hard to shoot and that is a peach. Like the contrast between the fur and the leather and the b/g is great.
Colour - spot on
Fantasy - very very well done. Made me smile

4 top shots there for me - imaginative, creative and well handled.

Hi ya

that just plain freaks me out :exit:Excellent pp skills....but it's still freaking me out & will probably give me nightmares for weeks.......

Thanksyou Alan, sorry Lynne. :LOL:

Week 51 - Fit

Time is against us all, as well as the weather.... It gets a tick in the box though. ;)

And Merry Christmas one and all. :)

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

you can't beat a good dovetail joint, certainly on theme and as you say ticks the box

A tad more light to the front of the drawer maybe?

Merry Christmas to you too (y)

Fantasy, sheesh, that really is freaky :). Really well produced and composed.

Fit, on theme. I cropped right in and felt the resulting abstract feet worked.

Cheers.

A tad more light to the front of the drawer maybe?

Possibly.... I was really trying to bring out the detail of the joint, tried a few lighting positions, some with the "front" (is actually the side), brighter, but this lowered the contrast on the joint, and also lit more of the floor behind too.

Fantasy, sheesh, that really is freaky :). Really well produced and composed.

Fit, on theme. I cropped right in and felt the resulting abstract feet worked.

Cheers Andy, :D, hmmm, you;re right about the crop. I like it. A bit of a Yin and Yang feel to it. :ty:

9qou.jpg

Me too for the crop, agree with Allan's earlier comment that at least some light on the draw front would perhaps have been even better. (y)

The fantasy shot is simply stunning, but you didn't need me to tell you that; just fantastic. The colour one is pretty much gyre best version of the theme I've seen. The only thing I might have been tempted to would have been to have the whole picture colour and just the unpainted orange in mono; did you try it that way?

The sleek shot is fabulous - oozing personality.

Much, much better the second shot. :plus1:

I like the dof on the original but felt the bottom plinth detracted from the image

Cheers Alan, thanks for all your comments this year. (y)

Me too for the crop, agree with Allan's earlier comment that at least some light on the draw front would perhaps have been even better. (y)

Cheers Brian, I need moar lights!!!

Hi Graham

the cropped in version works really well...as does the mono (y) Liked the original though baring the slight clip at the bottom

Thanks Lynne.. nothing clipped at the bottom?? If I've learned one thing it's not to post up a pic with bits clipped off!!!

The fantasy shot is simply stunning, but you didn't need me to tell you that; just fantastic. The colour one is pretty much gyre best version of the theme I've seen. The only thing I might have been tempted to would have been to have the whole picture colour and just the unpainted orange in mono; did you try it that way?

The sleek shot is fabulous - oozing personality.

Thanks Tony, means a lot. (y) So everything in colour, but with the colour being painted off of the orange?? Never occurred to me to do it that way. Would be easy if I still had the .psd file, I could just invert the mask.. But I have got a bad habit of deleting the working file straight away - caught me out a few times..

Last edited:
Final week - I kinda knew I'd get here - not saying it's been easy, but I'm here (y)

Week 52 - Water......

Flawed in a number of ways... but I like it. And I'm happy to finish on it.

Thanks to everyone who's commented throughout the year, I hope I've provided some interesting and inspiring images, along with the occasional one that's fallen short of the mark.

All photo's are in my Flickr set

My own personal faves are below
Took a second shoot to get it right, following comments, and I'm glad I did
Mrs overbez loves all shots of her boys, but this one I'm happy with too. has it's flaw's, but if I shot it again, I couldn;t improve on it!
Again, took a second shoot to get there, not used my reverse lens as much as I thought I might.
The timing of the step, and the matching outfits make this for me.
Glad I went bold on this one, gave a few commenters trouble whether they liked it or not, but I did.
Shows the benefit of having the image in mind before shooting.

I've also enjoyed commenting and helping others, just looking at other's work is a great way to improve. I'm passing on 2014, In favour of throwing a few shots into POTY, I shall subscribe to a few threads for 2014 and pop in throughout the year.

As a wise man once said... Cheers all!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83470296@N06/8674108961/

Last edited:
Graham, well done on completing your 52, there's some excellent images, the hands drawing the cuffs is a cracker (y)

Going to have a go at the 52's - 2014 miself, but there's a lot to live up to looking through the threads for 2013 :eek:

Cheers Phil - I wouldn't have taken half as many photo's if I hadnt been doing this. Its been great!

Congratulations Graham, I have enjoyed watching your thread through the year and through our mutual commenting I have come to think of you as one of my friends. Keep up the good work mate.

I like your water shot, very creative. But I bet it will raise a few eyebrows. Good for you! (y)

Well done on completing the 52 Graham.

No doubt about it, you have provided some really inspirational stuff throughout 2013 and really helped others - including me - to get better.
I do like the last one with the rays showing as well as the lighting inside the bridge.

Big congratulations.

Cheers
Alan

Well done for finishing :clap:

I like the last water image, and also the flare. In the other hand it looks a bit odd, maybe that's the HDR processing? I mean it's almost like two separate shots left and right stitched together as over on the left the sky is quite desaturated but from the right is quite blue as is the water in the background. Or was a graduated filter used?

Who cares about the flaws. You finished and it's no mean feat,

The lens flair really works for me.

It's been a pleasure following your progression.

Take care.

Cheers.

Hi Grahan

No crit just congratulations for finishing and I have really enjoyed your 52 some really nice pics in there(y)

Thanks Andy & Allan, and thankyou both for your comments on pretty much every shot I've posted. (y) That's no mean feat in itself!

I do think that comments from persons who you have some sort of relationship with, mean so much more than from a random member of the forum.

And the "nice" comments are so much sweeter, when you know the giver would happily say if they didn't like it.

Thanks Lynne - All the best for 2014..

(I have just ordered a lens hood too!!) I've picked up a few lens flares recently, not that I dislike them completely, but some I've had to spend time cloning out.

Hey Graham :)

Sorry for not getting around for a while again, I'm still trying to catch up :coat:

Sleek - Ooooo love that, the tree looks real nice, and the Cat's eyes are cutting right through me :cautious:

Colour - That's clever mate, nicely done !!!

Fantasy - Now that is very weird... but again VERY well done :clap:

Fit - Nice Joinery, well captured, I'd prefer the RH a little lighter, other than that bang on theme mate :)

<EDIT> Oooo I like the Crop, great detail (y)

Water - A great one to finish with... well done Graham for finishing on time, It's been a pleasure following your work :clap:

And Thankyou Dean... Appreciate your comments throughout the year.

Good luck for the 2014 one, cracking start so far. (y)

Hi Graham
Fit - like the idea and enjoyed the first shot but also thought that a bit more light on the rhs would help,-- but the crop is much better and the darkness and hint of 'streaks' to the right means that no further light is needed.
Water - not sure what to make of this :thinking: but I really like it. I don't mind the flare at all and the HDR works ok on this shot. Good capture of the water and really like the illumination under the arch and the view through - gives it an out- of- worldly feel. I think that I would have cropped out the left and right bits up to the metal fence to prevent the shot spilling out.

Well done on a great year - all the best in the POTY. I have appreciated your comments, particularly as you have stuck with me throughout. That takes commitment.
I do like your choices for your best ones - the shots of the lads are excellent memories too. My only carp is that you changed that terrific lego shot for the weird one :eek: on your avatar. That red lego shot is very, very distinctive. My addition would be the tiger jigsaw which I really liked - hope that you finished it(y)

Many Thanks for that Alan,

On water, I did let my hair down a little bit, the light under the bridge was "enhanced" through selection and then separate adjustment of the colour temp and saturation - I did try the crop off the sides, but lost the lines of the brick coming in from the lower corners... I think it's an old bridge, that has been "bypassed" recently (presumably for conservation purposes), hence the railings. :(

Appreciate your thoughts on my faves, the thing is, of those 6, only one of them I would have taken if it wasn't for the challenge... I know I said I was going to pass on 2014.... but I already have taken a shot for lines... and I'm tempted to jump in again.

Think I will change back the avatar too - you're right, it is distinctive, and will remind me of the benefits of sometimes taking a second try at something to get it 'perfect' (y)

Last edited:
Many Thanks for that Alan,

of those 6, only one of them I would have taken if it wasn't for the challenge... I know I said I was going to pass on 2014.... but I already have taken a shot for lines... and I'm tempted to jump in again.

Think I will change back the avatar too - you're right, it is distinctive, and will remind me of the benefits of sometimes taking a second try at something to get it 'perfect' (y)

Presumably the one that you would have taken is the one of your lads with the ducklings. And it shows that the shot of them from the back, holding hands, is a very telling depiction of the relationship.
I am pleased that you like my suggestion re avatar - I find them very useful when scanning posts and , altho each to his own, having a set shot does help associate with the character and there are some very distinctive ones e. g. Lynne at Blondie606, Allan at Alsjazzera, DK ( with or without the Christmas trimmings:)) and Iain at Blakester

Well even if you do not continue with 2014 52, I hope to catch up with you on other threads.(y)

Back