weekly Phil Bennett's 52 for 2015 - Week 24 Spiral added

Philip - this is nice. I'm assuming you can play otherwise the Bliss might not be shared amongst neighbours ;)

Technically there's a lot going for this shot: I like the lighting on the guitar and the fact the neck disappears into darkness. My monitor shows blacks reasonably well so there's still plenty of detail for me in the wooden table. The bottles, mainly the near one, could perhaps do with a touch more light for me, but I certainly don't mind the lighting the way it is. DOF fading away at the back of the scene also works well with the darkness encroaching... a good choice of aperture.

Processing does seem quite heavy, but I don't mind that on the guitar TBH and don't really notice it elsewhere.

All in all, a really good shot which I'm enjoying looking at!

Philip - this is nice. I'm assuming you can play otherwise the Bliss might not be shared amongst neighbours ;)

Technically there's a lot going for this shot: I like the lighting on the guitar and the fact the neck disappears into darkness. My monitor shows blacks reasonably well so there's still plenty of detail for me in the wooden table. The bottles, mainly the near one, could perhaps do with a touch more light for me, but I certainly don't mind the lighting the way it is. DOF fading away at the back of the scene also works well with the darkness encroaching... a good choice of aperture.

Processing does seem quite heavy, but I don't mind that on the guitar TBH and don't really notice it elsewhere.

All in all, a really good shot which I'm enjoying looking at!

Cheers Paul

Phil

Excellent shot for bliss love the lighting. Only thing I would change is to remove the bottle laying down or bring it out from behind the guitar but a cracking shot

Wow that's a super image. Your control of the lighting screams class. This has to be my favourite (sorry everyone else) of the week so far. The inclusion of the bottles is inspired (three is a magic number). Going back to the lighting I like the way the neck goes off in the dark and the ability shown to stop any glare from some quite shiny surfaces. Great one Philip.

Hi, great guitar shot very nice composition and you have handled the light really well,
what kind of les paul is it seems to have some kind of effects built in

excellent start (y)

Hi, great guitar shot very nice composition and you have handled the light really well,
what kind of les paul is it seems to have some kind of effects built in

excellent start (y)

Hi Allan

Its a JTV59 from Line 6.

Phil

Heres my attempt for this week.

Bees Nest = Fragile

Obviously set up, but last year, I noticed we had a lot of bees flying around our wheelbarrow, which has compost and flowers in. On closer inspection, there was a hole which the bees were flying in and out of, now me, being a little afraid of bees and wasps (never been stung, they cannot catch me), rang up the local bee experts, to ask their advice, which was, leave them alone until the cold weather when they had gone, they normally don't come back to the same place twice. Which is exactly what I did. This morning I dug the compost out to have a look, there was a large chamber with the honeycomb in, which just disintegrated when I touched it, but I managed to save some to photograph.

fragile by Hamerrockopuss, on Flickr

Regards

Phil

Love this image. Delicate texture of the fragile honeycomb is a real lovely idea. Nice work.

ETA ... Also loved the guitar shot from last week. Certainly one to watch over the coming weeks.

Excellent shot of the beauty and fragility of nature, without wanting to be jumping on the critical bandwagon I'd like to see it a bit closer or a little more seperation from the background.

Great subject for the fragile theme, as others have commented would have loved a closer view, maybe even a macro - the lighting is lovely :)

Hi Phil...made it here finally :wave:

Bliss......to me that is an awesome shot , love everything about it , really good lighting ,sharp, well placed bottles & little details like the lemon in the bottom of a bottle finish it off nicely.....:clap:

Fragile....interesting back story which adds to the shot, has an almost Fractilius look to the lighting which I kinda like, gives it a dreamy quality (y) I suspect it would ake a cracking macro subject :)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment guys.

The fragile image was lit from above with a speed light into a beauty dish, for those who are interested. Macro is something I haven't done before, might have to buy a new lens :naughty:

Phil

Hiya Phil, that's a very nice image. I'd personally prefer it a touch brighter, but I'd not want to change the lighting at all otherwise - it's perfect. Maybe it's just a lift of the shadows rather than brightening of the strobe?

Re: macro, you could always just get a Raynox to fit over an existing lens. As long as you have one with a reasonably small filter size (c. 50ish mm is ideal) to avoid vignetting, they're a fun way to get into macro without buying a new lens!

I like it technically. Agree about cloning out the top of the mast. I find it a very atmospheric image - whether, given the location and the history, it should be regarded as scenic is a different matter. But, as I said, lovely image. well captured.

Huuummm there was I thinking it was a Gibson Les Paul Honeyburst, so it's a James Tyler Solid.. Nice!

Oh yea photography that's what we're on here:).

Ok so playing catch up...
Patterns.... Love it very clever idea! Fits the bill really nicely, I love the reflection, that's really great. Really nicely exposed too, also using using the magic '3'. Nice shot well done.

Bliss.... Right on the button for me! Bliss indeed. Personally I love the way this is lit, I really love this shot Phil, and a blue pick just for a shot of contrasting colour....;).

Fragile.... Quite soft on the lighting as mentioned gives it a bit of a dreamy feel as someone has said. Quite an interesting subject, I think it needs something to bring it out, perhaps separate it from the background more. Don't ask me what though:rolleyes:.

Scenic.... Wow makes my spine tingle! Even the mention of those names..... An interesting visit I guess... The points lamp in dead sharp focus the immediate foreground is slightly oof with a fairly tight depth of field, which was intentional I guess. Heavy clouds hanging over those abandoned rail wagons gives it a real chilling look.
A very powerful shot.

Btw nice avatar, Jimi

Nice take on scenic! The selective focus works so well against the tracks trailing off - a lot of atmosphere going through the image[emoji5]️

This really stands out, Phil, I was impressed by the atmosphere before I read where it was shot. Just added poignancy after that. Great shot.

Karl

Hi Phil :)

Sorry it looks like I have not got around to here since the start :( a quick catch up from me...

Patterns - Nice idea with the cubes, not sure on the background but really liking the reflections and colours :)

Bliss - A great combination, music and beer, I like how you set this one up with the guitar fading into the distance, beautiful colours in the body and again nice reflections :)

Fragile - Viewed large that looks very nice, not the sharpest of detail on the actual honeycomb but I really like the colours, very fragile indeed - really like this one (y)

Scenic - Now I just love this one, great PP, leading lines from the track, super low PoV and a perfect DoF on the signal ?? thingy - no crit from me at all :clap:

Lovely tones and composition - possibly needs a mild rotate? Good depth of field too.

Weeks 4 Companions.

Just a month ago, I retired my pool cue, which has been my companion for 35 years, so I took a selfie :D

look carefully, there is another companion in the image :)

Companions by Hamerrockopuss, on Flickr

Phil

A very nice moody / atmospheric image Phil,
It works well (y)

Fragile - like the lighting and colours
Scenic - as before about the mast. Do like the processiing though, lovely image!
Companions - very moody and lighting is spot on for me

Back