weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

I think all the crap jokes have been said, so I won't muddy the thread with more :)

Great take on a difficult theme, I have to agree with DK on moving it up a touch. Certainly don't envy the job those flies do though :eek:

Certainly looks fresh! A lower perspective might have improved the composition, but you were brave to get as close as you did anyway.
Andrew

Definitely an interesting take on the theme. Looks good to me.

Thanks Richard.........:thinking: ........not too good I hope! ;)

Hi Phil,
What a lovely pile of dung!! good thinking (y)(y)

Thanks Judi :D

Well it's certainly an original shot for the theme Phil :)......and it's definitely fresh...not quite as fresh as a daisy though :D

Thanks Susie ...........but just think of how many daisies will be growing there next year :D

Fresh, well that's a pile of crap ;)

On theme but a little gross....I know, says me :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy......shut the door on your way out :coat::p

Fresh - its got me tongue tied I bet your flickr viewers think your a right weirdo without the 52 themes understanding :)

Cheers Craig..........I'll settle for 'just' wierdo ;) :D

Certainly a different take on the theme :D

The flies look to be more the subject though :)

Cheers Mark.........the flies just add interest, there's definitely more sh1t in shot :D

I think all the crap jokes have been said, so I won't muddy the thread with more :)

Great take on a difficult theme, I have to agree with DK on moving it up a touch. Certainly don't envy the job those flies do though :eek:

Cheers Andy.......me niether, but they were certainly having a ball :confused: :D

Certainly looks fresh! A lower perspective might have improved the composition, but you were brave to get as close as you did anyway.
Andrew

Cheers Andrew, getting closer to the cr*p wouldn't have been a problem......................it was being on mi hands and knees, in a field, with a randy bull that was mi main concern!
s_shocked-18.gif
:D

cheers for that Phil - so fresh you can still see the water content in it.

Oh my goodness! Nasty horrible subject, but full marks for actually getting down there and taking the shot :clap:

cheers for that Phil - so fresh you can still see the water content in it.

Cheers Graham.........is that like saying 'good detail' :D

Oh my goodness! Nasty horrible subject, but full marks for actually getting down there and taking the shot :clap:

Thanks Elaine

Fresh - well all i can say is i feel a little :puke: now, not at all what i was expecting to see for the theme. Nice to see a different out look on the theme tho, i must go for a lie down now.

Cheers Mandy

So, better late than never, here's 'shape'. Struggled again this week, tried one or two ideas mid week that just didn't work
shakinghead.gif

Anyway, I've been down the A1 pits carp fishing a couple of days, went for a walk and came across all the dried mud from when the River Trent was last in flood. The recent dry warm weather had dried it out, cracking and splitting it up into some good shapes. Then I spotted the otter prints and thought it might add a little interest. They were under the A1 bridge, where it crosses over the Trent, so lighting wasn't the best.

Dof is a bit shallow, looking at it now I should have gone with a lager 'f' number and got the print that's split more in focus :thinking:

Shape(s) with otter prints

TP52 Shape by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great spot here Phil - and super for the theme,

Well composed with the paw print on the intersection of thirds, I disagree about the DOF, if the top one were more in focus, I feel that could create 2 focal points.

Did you catch anything??

Did you catch any carp ? And where was my invite to come carp fishing lol plenty of shapes in the dried out mud fits the theme but I don't feel it's your best effort.

Thanks Mandy........certainly not my best effort at all :D

Mandy, I'm a barbel angler through and through, fishing for carp during the river close season can be like watching paint dry sometimes. Fished same bait, same tactics, same lake as I did the week before, did 24 hours and had 3.........this week did 48 hours and the only thing I caught was a cracking tan :D

I'm a member of South Cerney and Ashton Keynes AC's, I get down your way fairly often during the summer months, I joined them because I can park us campervan at the back of the pegs, its like having somewhere to stay with out paying camp site fees :whistle: ya never know I might have to call on ya for some local knowledge, they reckon there's some cracking fish in Thamesmead B lake if they haven't all gone swimming down the Thames during the floods :D

Lots of shapes in there Phil, looks a bit like crazy paving (y)

Thanks Judy

Great spot here Phil - and super for the theme,

Well composed with the paw print on the intersection of thirds, I disagree about the DOF, if the top one were more in focus, I feel that could create 2 focal points.

Did you catch anything??

Thanks Graham, as mentioned to Mandy above, only a sun tan this week for me :D

Last edited:
Well I'm going to have to call on Andy @posiview for a loan of his large crowbar for this one :D..........one is a number right? :whistle:

Went to Flamborough yesterday looking for puffins :woot:. Saw a few but they were all too far away to get any descent shots :banghead:

Ended up with a few shots of the razor bills, shags and guillemots which I was happy with though:banana:

Anyway, the kittiwakes were there by the hundreds of thousands, all nesting on the cliffs, constantly flying in and out of the coves.

I was particularly happy with this shot, exposed for the white of the bird in the sunlight as it flew in with the contrasting cliffs behind in shadow. Possibly just missed focus on its head and got its body, but they were coming in at quite a fast rate.

Not much pp done, a slight crop, and a bit of clarity, every thing else is sooc

So here we have 'one' kittiwake out of a 'number' of thousands :whistle: :D

kittiwake
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fabulous shot there Phil.. Great position in the frame, lovely light across the stretched wings, contrasting really well with the black background below. Can we just see the white of breaking waves below?

Having the cliffs in as well and having them blurred (motion rather than focus?) really gives the bird somewhere to fly to.

Love it. :)

I agree phil, brilliant shot. Love the POV and the lighting across the wings. Keeping the cliffs in the frame is spot on too, good work. (y)

Fabulous shot there Phil.. Great position in the frame, lovely light across the stretched wings, contrasting really well with the black background below. Can we just see the white of breaking waves below?

Having the cliffs in as well and having them blurred (motion rather than focus?) really gives the bird somewhere to fly to.

Love it. :)

Thanks Graham, I'm guessing motion blur, I'll be honest and say getting the blur to the cliff in the f/g wasn't on mi mind at the time. Just following the birds as they came in and swooped up under the cliffs was hard enough. No sea in shot, its all cliff in the bg :)

I agree phil, brilliant shot. Love the POV and the lighting across the wings. Keeping the cliffs in the frame is spot on too, good work. (y)

Thanks Adam

Super shot there Phil....you have really captured that beautiful gliding effortlessness (sp) of flight ... he looks almost suspended against the stark black background, very nice indeed :)

Thanks Susie :)

Hi, nice shot of the bird, great point of view and nicely placed in the frame, it really stands out from the BG, not sure about the cliffs myself either way in or out it doesn't distract from a nice pic :clap:

Shape: A very interesting subject there and not something you see everyday. Works well form me, with the paw prints standing out well, against what is quite a busy background. Colours are nicely rendered and liking the earthy tones which compliment the nature theme well.

Number: I cant comment on the use of crowbar as I will be using one this week to no doubt :) The composition work well here with the cliff (and cliff background) giving some perspective and depth. Like how the bird is angling towards the camera moving left to right - adds to a sense of movement. Well done on getting out there, and bagging a worthy pic for this weeks theme. (y)

HI Phil

Fresh.....I really don't know what to say :D

Number....yup , 1 is number so on theme....well caught in mid flight , good work on the exposure of the bird whilst keeping a little of the detail in the background rocks........:clap:

Shape...interesting spot there.....not your best but hey...you got the shot & then came up with the belter that is Number (y)

Shape - like this one, otter prints just add more to it.

Number - when I saw this on the main thread I though what's it go to with numbers lol but after readin your post I like your logic.
Great picture, well caught and lots of detail I really like it !!!

Shape, the DOF works well for me as it isolate the FG foot print. Nice low angle and interesting interpretation.

Numbers....I'll be needing the crowbar at some point.

Cheers.

Hi, nice shot of the bird, great point of view and nicely placed in the frame, it really stands out from the BG, not sure about the cliffs myself either way in or out it doesn't distract from a nice pic :clap:

Cheers Allan

Shape: A very interesting subject there and not something you see everyday. Works well form me, with the paw prints standing out well, against what is quite a busy background. Colours are nicely rendered and liking the earthy tones which compliment the nature theme well.

Number: I cant comment on the use of crowbar as I will be using one this week to no doubt :) The composition work well here with the cliff (and cliff background) giving some perspective and depth. Like how the bird is angling towards the camera moving left to right - adds to a sense of movement. Well done on getting out there, and bagging a worthy pic for this weeks theme. (y)

Thanks Jason

Yes ... as said ... (y)

Cheers David

HI Phil

Fresh.....I really don't know what to say :D

Number....yup , 1 is number so on theme....well caught in mid flight , good work on the exposure of the bird whilst keeping a little of the detail in the background rocks........:clap:

Shape...interesting spot there.....not your best but hey...you got the shot & then came up with the belter that is Number (y)

:wave: Thanks Lynne :)

Shape - like this one, otter prints just add more to it.

Number - when I saw this on the main thread I though what's it go to with numbers lol but after readin your post I like your logic.
Great picture, well caught and lots of detail I really like it !!!

:D Cheers Richard

Shape, the DOF works well for me as it isolate the FG foot print. Nice low angle and interesting interpretation.

Numbers....I'll be needing the crowbar at some point.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy........I'll hang on to it fa now..........but you know where it is ;)

I really like that one Phil we have been several times to Flamborough and haven't got many good shots, so well done, every thing that I could say about it has been said so(y)(y)

Thanks Judi, will certainly be going back within the next month to try get a few close ups of the puffins :)

Shape - puddle fishing...... lol fits the theme well like the added otter foot prints

Number - lovely shot even if it does need a small crowbar great angle and detail in the Phil

Cheers Craig

Well after the definite use of the crowbar for the last theme, I at least though I'd better be 'on' theme this time :angelic:

Natural lighting, bit of a tweak in ACR to get the bg a bit whiter ........and its still nowhere near perfect:banghead:

Was going to make it a selfie, but the missus said mi muscle definition didn't quite make the grade o_O :D

Honest thoughts and crit welcome :)

Extra Strong

TP week 21 Strength-Strong
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil

like your style mister.......perfect placement of model & sweets , a hint of shadow behind the feet & sweet packet to ground him , really good lighting on the model ( did he sign a release :D ) , I like the background as it is ( I think we all get a bit hung up on pure white bg's sometimes ) :clap:

Minor crit......... maybe a little more lighting on the sweet packet torn top bit ? DOF just loses the sweets on the weight bar left side as you look at the shot...not sure id moving up to f8 or f9 would have helped ? Slight loss of definition on the furthest sweets ...just needs a wee teeny weeny ever so slight bit of a pull back on the lightness ?

phil you spying on me??? This is the 2nd week now since i started (week17) that I have had an idea to find you've pipped me to the post lol now i've got to eat a packet of strong mints I bought for this week lol

I like the image though, the torn packet adds to the "strength" theme along with mr muscle......(ohh just had another idea lmao).

Cracking idea. I thought about a selfie but better give you of a rest :)

Well composed cracking detail in the model and good colours. Looks, as you say a little grey, but it really is only a tad off. Nice subtle shadows.

No crit from me on this one.

Cheers.

Hi Phil

Shape - on theme and a good subject. I am not sure about the dof and a bit too busy poss. Maybe a letter box crop above the 'star' shaped mud?

Number - good shot of a bif and the colours and exposure are bang on. Cliffs are not for me as too oof and distracting - makes the viewer think that the shot is oof when clearly the main subject is not. Just a simple crop of the bird would do for me - meeting the theme

Strong - like a lot - original thought and very well handled. really good lighting on the model to capture the detail in the body and the facial expression.(y)

Hi, works for me nice touch with the extra strong mints, BG not a problem with this it is only slightly off, i find it really hard to get a good white BG
figure is nicely lit and just a hint of shadow, really well done

Hi Phil

like your style mister.......perfect placement of model & sweets , a hint of shadow behind the feet & sweet packet to ground him , really good lighting on the model ( did he sign a release :D ) , I like the background as it is ( I think we all get a bit hung up on pure white bg's sometimes ) :clap:

Minor crit......... maybe a little more lighting on the sweet packet torn top bit ? DOF just loses the sweets on the weight bar left side as you look at the shot...not sure id moving up to f8 or f9 would have helped ? Slight loss of definition on the furthest sweets ...just needs a wee teeny weeny ever so slight bit of a pull back on the lightness ?

Thanks Lynne, I quite liked the blending of the bg and the sweets on the right.........at least it made me feel like I'd managed a bit of white bg:D

phil you spying on me??? This is the 2nd week now since i started (week17) that I have had an idea to find you've pipped me to the post lol now i've got to eat a packet of strong mints I bought for this week lol

I like the image though, the torn packet adds to the "strength" theme along with mr muscle......(ohh just had another idea lmao).

:angelic:......... Cheers Richard :D

Cracking idea. I thought about a selfie but better give you of a rest :)

Well composed cracking detail in the model and good colours. Looks, as you say a little grey, but it really is only a tad off. Nice subtle shadows.

No crit from me on this one.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy.........and I'm sure I speak for the masses when I say a big thank you for keeping your clothes on :clap: :D

Hi Phil

Shape - on theme and a good subject. I am not sure about the dof and a bit too busy poss. Maybe a letter box crop above the 'star' shaped mud?

Number - good shot of a bif and the colours and exposure are bang on. Cliffs are not for me as too oof and distracting - makes the viewer think that the shot is oof when clearly the main subject is not. Just a simple crop of the bird would do for me - meeting the theme

Strong - like a lot - original thought and very well handled. really good lighting on the model to capture the detail in the body and the facial expression.(y)

Cheers Alan

Hi, works for me nice touch with the extra strong mints, BG not a problem with this it is only slightly off, i find it really hard to get a good white BG
figure is nicely lit and just a hint of shadow, really well done

Cheers Allan

Hi Phil ....a great original idea....I like the set up with the mints. I just can't get white backgrounds myself, you've done really well. I can see the point about the shadows too...something else I am learning...well done to you.

Thanks Susie :)

Two great shots for the two themes.

Number - yep a crowbar needed indeed! (It'd've been funny if it was a crow in flight). Great shot of a bird in flight, so sharply focused.
Strong - I like what you've done there. Nice use of an action figure and the mints. It works. It's not my favourite of your shots, the bird works more for me but this fits its theme better!

Hey Phil :)

Shape - Well spotted, good random shapes indeed, the prints add some much needed interest, theme done :thumbs

Strong - hahaha that's excellent :D

I love shots like this with a twist, a clever idea, background looks good on my tablet, well set, up and lit well with a tad of shadow to ground the subjects on the white - Like It (y)

Thanks Mandy........certainly not my best effort at all :D

Mandy, I'm a barbel angler through and through, fishing for carp during the river close season can be like watching paint dry sometimes. Fished same bait, same tactics, same lake as I did the week before, did 24 hours and had 3.........this week did 48 hours and the only thing I caught was a cracking tan :D

I'm a member of South Cerney and Ashton Keynes AC's, I get down your way fairly often during the summer months, I joined them because I can park us campervan at the back of the pegs, its like having somewhere to stay with out paying camp site fees :whistle: ya never know I might have to call on ya for some local knowledge, they reckon there's some cracking fish in Thamesmead B lake if they haven't all gone swimming down the Thames during the floods :D

Thanks Judy

Thanks Graham, as mentioned to Mandy above, only a sun tan this week for me :D

I am a member of south cerney angling club, I have never been barbel fishing but it's something I'd love to try at some point.

Back