weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Hi, I think I've taken a very similar photograph and I'm off there next Saturday, I see you've been in the thread (y)

Cut, tenuous link but a cracking photograph, so I'll forgive you ;)

Cheers.

Cheers Andy......tenuous .....another word I've had to Google........what a wasted education I had! :D

Last edited:
Hi Phil :)

Apologies... again it looks as I have not managed to get here for a while, so quick catch up

Fall - Nicely caught glider, shame about the conditions you found yourself with, but hey, still works nicely, good composition and the DoF works well too with the ground oof :)

Communicate - Nothing wrong with this mate, a nice silhouette, and a very nice sky too, the wispy clouds and a bit of a sunset... yes could have been a stunning sunset but hey could have been much much worse, so fine with me (y)

Dark - Well... it is what you say, but not liking the composition, the blacks are good and some nice colours, box ticked :)

Big - Oh My Goodness... look at that, theme wise BANG on, shame about the sky, pov is not too bad, liking the angle and the hedge adds some depth for me... cool find (y)

Cut - Well I guess the rocks have been cut by the wind, glaciers or something at some time to get them marks, lighting isn't too bad for me, would like to see the blacks increased in the sky to help enhance the rocks, but still a real nice image :)

Thanks for the catch up DK .........no apology necessary mate..... ...yes, that bike made out of scaffolding really was 'seeing is believing' it was massive :)

Last edited:
Not an original idea, I've seen something similar on the internet before.

Not 100% happy, it needs something to separate it from the bg. I was hoping for more shadow but using natural light it was the best I could get.

Focus was about a quarter of the way up the pencil from the point, according to the DOF calculator f7.1 should have been plenty at 80mm focal length with a focus point distance of 5ft, for the whole length of the pencil to be in focus but it looks to run off and be a bit soft towards the rubber on the top......any ideas?

Balance....well if nothing......its to the point.......:tumbleweed: .......:)

TP 52 Week 41 Balance
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Forums playing up and I can't edit mi post :banghead:

After seeing mi image above it really does need a bg to give it the effect its actually upright and not just laid on a white sheet............I'm going to have another go at this tomorrow .........hopefully get something I'm happier with

Last edited:
Hi Phil, I think it works really well with the slight shadow on the bottom, but I do see what you mean about it needing something to separate it

Hi Phil

Catch up time

Sparkle - does the job well - perhaps a bit more dof as parts look a bit woolly
Fall - really good focus, pov and dof. Like the oof trees on horizon cf the single in focus tree to left. Just needed a nice sky
Communicate - now that has got a nice sky :). good comp and nice part silhouette of the tower - adequate foreground interesst. Good exposure. Not sure that the tower is vertical :thinking:
Dark - so dark that you could not see it :D. Fits the bill
Big - :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. You have made your own crit to which i cannot add. But :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cut - At first look I thought that it was for Balance! Good comp and very well handled exposure.- like the shot a lot. Like susie @susiejb I think that it looks unreal. :clap:

Hi Phil... haven't been around much so sorry I'm slow and catching up.

Dark - wow! That looks completely 3 dimensional on my monitor. It has a really odd effect going one. As others have said, not sure about the arrangement but the photo is very intriguing so well done. Even more so on flickr full screen :)

Big - fantastic opportunist shot. Could not be more on theme if you tried! Sky is a touch overcooked, highlights-wise but otherwise it's a cracking take. Brilliant! :clap:

Cut - well, not on theme really is it, but who cares as it's a smashing photo. Light painted or single flash? I'm guessing the former and no matter, you've done a very good job.

Balance - well, another smashing photo. I really like your take and apart from a band of slightly lighter white across the middle, it looks spot on to me. I like the shadow as it is - with soft enough lighting that's the kind of shadow you can end up with. (y)

Great photos and some really interesting take on the theme!

Hi Phil

Good idea and very straight. Good colours on the pencil and seems sharp enough to me. There is that white band across the middle which is a bit disconcerting and the way that the pencil is lit at the front (slightly darker at the top) gives the impression that it is falling forward ever so slightly. But overall a clean, simple take which works really well for the theme.

Hi Phil

The shadow could do with being a tad darker to help it as you say... the focus looks fine on my lappy, look forward to seeing your next attempt :)

Thanks DK

Hi Phil, I think it works really well with the slight shadow on the bottom, but I do see what you mean about it needing something to separate it

Thanks Allan

Hi Phil

Catch up time

Sparkle - does the job well - perhaps a bit more dof as parts look a bit woolly
Fall - really good focus, pov and dof. Like the oof trees on horizon cf the single in focus tree to left. Just needed a nice sky
Communicate - now that has got a nice sky :). good comp and nice part silhouette of the tower - adequate foreground interesst. Good exposure. Not sure that the tower is vertical :thinking:
Dark - so dark that you could not see it :D. Fits the bill
Big - :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. You have made your own crit to which i cannot add. But :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cut - At first look I thought that it was for Balance! Good comp and very well handled exposure.- like the shot a lot. Like susie @susiejb I think that it looks unreal. :clap:

Hi Phil

Good idea and very straight. Good colours on the pencil and seems sharp enough to me. There is that white band across the middle which is a bit disconcerting and the way that the pencil is lit at the front (slightly darker at the top) gives the impression that it is falling forward ever so slightly. But overall a clean, simple take which works really well for the theme.

Thanks Alan

Hi Phil... haven't been around much so sorry I'm slow and catching up.

Dark - wow! That looks completely 3 dimensional on my monitor. It has a really odd effect going one. As others have said, not sure about the arrangement but the photo is very intriguing so well done. Even more so on flickr full screen :)

Big - fantastic opportunist shot. Could not be more on theme if you tried! Sky is a touch overcooked, highlights-wise but otherwise it's a cracking take. Brilliant! :clap:

Cut - well, not on theme really is it, but who cares as it's a smashing photo. Light painted or single flash? I'm guessing the former and no matter, you've done a very good job.

Balance - well, another smashing photo. I really like your take and apart from a band of slightly lighter white across the middle, it looks spot on to me. I like the shadow as it is - with soft enough lighting that's the kind of shadow you can end up with. (y)

Great photos and some really interesting take on the theme!

@superpippo & @pjm1, I hadn't noticed the lighter band in the bg, I'd noticed it went a more 'dirty white' towards the top. The lighter bit must be where the card bends up the wall. Something I'll watch out for next time I use the card to get a white(ish :D) bg, cheers :)

As mentioned, I wasn't happy with the pencil against the plain bg, I felt it needed more depth.

Nipped home this afternoon and the sun was just starting to appear through the cloud, a quick set up round the back of mi house got me this shot below.

Too much depth maybe? :p ......I'm a little undecided but I do prefer it to my first shot against a plain bg :)

Balance - attempt no.2 :)

TP 52 Week 41 Balance
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hi Phil I must have missed your post when commenting earlier .... well done with your pencil shots. I's hard to choose between the two.... I like the simplicity of the first, with the tiny shadow at the bottom it certainly looks as if it's standing on it's point and not lying flat. I do really like the second one too though, super DOF and the pencil looks spot on....smashing choice for the theme :)

Hi Phil - fantastic balance.

Second with the fields in the BG is far better IMO, the green sets of the red really well and makes the whole shot more believable. (even without a shadow). Perfectly vertical too. (y) (well close enough that I don't have to bother checking anyway. :))

I stronger shadow in the first may have beneffitted.

What was it? bit of cotton sellotaped to the back and then cloned?

Great work. :clap:

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Phil, IMHO, your Balances are the best so far.

#1, I really like the simplicity, composition and detail in this one.

Cheers.

Hi Phil, your balance #2 is great - love the shadow which looks very natural. Nicely done. The lighting of the pencil does seem very slightly at odds with the background so it does have a slight "stuck on" look, but other than that, you've done exceptionally well.

Two great shots for the theme IMO!

Hi Phil I must have missed your post when commenting earlier .... well done with your pencil shots. I's hard to choose between the two.... I like the simplicity of the first, with the tiny shadow at the bottom it certainly looks as if it's standing on it's point and not lying flat. I do really like the second one too though, super DOF and the pencil looks spot on....smashing choice for the theme :)

Thanks Susie :)

Cheers Alan

Hi Phil - fantastic balance.

Second with the fields in the BG is far better IMO, the green sets of the red really well and makes the whole shot more believable. (even without a shadow). Perfectly vertical too. (y) (well close enough that I don't have to bother checking anyway. :))

I stronger shadow in the first may have beneffitted.

What was it? bit of cotton sellotaped to the back and then cloned?

Great work. :clap:

Cheers Graham

Allan's got the answer.......
:agree: you and your magic pencil

Cheers Allan

:D......cotton!......I go fishing not to sewing class! :p

I tried a little bit of tape stuck to the line then on to the back of the pencil, but it wouldn't stand vertical . I ended up having to get a small fishing hook and cut the bend off, just leaving the shank and eye. I then pushed it into the centre of the rubber on top, tied the line to that, then suspended it with a fishing rod :D

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Phil, IMHO, your Balances are the best so far.

#1, I really like the simplicity, composition and detail in this one.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Phil, your balance #2 is great - love the shadow which looks very natural. Nicely done. The lighting of the pencil does seem very slightly at odds with the background so it does have a slight "stuck on" look, but other than that, you've done exceptionally well.

Two great shots for the theme IMO!

Thanks Paul.....Its all natural, sunlight and shadow.....only pp was the cloning out of the hook eye and line that I used to suspend it:)

Last edited:
Hi Phil

I'm liking both your Balance shots but think #1 has the edge...simple un fussy bg with just a hint of a shadow at the point:clap: Gotta ask....how did you get the pensckl to stay upright :thinking: or am I being particularly dim :D background could stand a little evening out but it's not sufficient to detract too much:)

The green bg definitely makes a big difference and I prefer the front lighting that really makes the red of the pencil really pop out and casts a nice shadow to allay any suspicions of pp composites. :clap:

Hi Phil

I'm much preferring your re-shoot, the post in the background niggles me slightly, other than that really like it, the red stands out beautifully, and the DoF works fine for me (y)

Thanks DK, I agree, I sometimes add a bit of crit for mi own images but forgot this time :rolleyes: my thoughts were the pencil could have done with being more over to the left on top of the post, giving more shadow and avoiding the post in the bg as you mentioned:)

Hi Phil

I'm liking both your Balance shots but think #1 has the edge...simple un fussy bg with just a hint of a shadow at the point:clap: Gotta ask....how did you get the pensckl to stay upright :thinking: or am I being particularly dim :D background could stand a little evening out but it's not sufficient to detract too much:)

Thanks Lynne.......dim :thinking:........:muted: :muted: copy and paste from post #778 above :p:D

I tried a little bit of tape stuck to the line then on to the back of the pencil, but it wouldn't stand vertical . I ended up having to get a small fishing hook and cut the bend off, just leaving the shank and eye. I then pushed it into the centre of the rubber on top, tied the line to that, then suspended it with a fishing rod

I like both those :clap:

Cheers David 'd00d'

The green bg definitely makes a big difference and I prefer the front lighting that really makes the red of the pencil really pop out and casts a nice shadow to allay any suspicions of pp composites. :clap:

Thanks Elaine :)

PABD?........well this one certainly qualifies for that acronym :p

Apologies for having nearly the same view as last week :rolleyes: I took this the other day in a bit of desperation, Fridays here again and I haven't come up with anything better to post for 'change' :banghead:

The weather this week has been very changeable, one minute heavy rain, the next sunshine.

Manual focus on the far wall and shot at f20 to give plenty of dof so as not to completely loose the rain on the window.

My own crit would be no real focal point and not very interesting, would have liked a bit of cloud in the blue but it was one or the other, blue or dark grey :(. I'm unsure about the tree down the left as well, I nearly cloned/cropped it out, but ended up leaving it ............anyway it gets mi by to another week :D

Edit- forgot to add, I thought I'd handled the reflection in the glass quite well.......then noticed the bit in the top right hand side :facepalm:

Please, no comments necessary, this really is a PABD image
shakehead.gif

So here we have my interpretation of changeable weather :)

TP 52 week 42 Change
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Growing old, something we all hope we're going to do :)

Not something I do, candid shots of people, but it helps when its ya mum :D

Taken this afternoon, whilst out with the family, was trying to get that 'contemplating' look.

Had a play in PP and thought it suited the conversion. PP not being my strongest subject :rolleyes::D I'm unsure as to whether I've done the image justice or not :thinking:

One thing I will admit to, I had to bring the exposure down slightly in ACR , something I'm not happy about. I'd set exposure for a cpl of shots I'd taken looking in the other direction, looked round and took this :banghead:

No crop, its as shot

As for my own crit, I'm not 100% I got focus ....:thinking:....looks a little soft round the eyes

Growing old........hopefully :)

TP52 Week 43 Growing
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Absolutely nowt wrong with that Phil, is a lovely shot of your mum. :)

Like that you have both eyes in the shot, and can't see anything wrong with the focus, not sure that super sharp with increased clarity etc would suit this image anyway.

Great detail in the fine hairs which stand out beautifully against the dark background.

:clap:

Hi, as above really a nice portrait of your mum, well exposed and a good conversion, nothing wrong with that at all (y)

Change - very typical of the sort of weather we've had recently, rain one minute and bright sunshine the next! You've done well to get so much clarity in the landscape without losing the shapes and reflections in the raindrops. My only crit would be that there's an awful lot of blue sky compared to the amount of land, but I expect it would have been difficult to find a lower pov without losing the idea of sunshine.

Grow - a really lovely shot of your mum, definitely one for the family album! Focus is spot on for me with the softer feminine facial features and sharper focus on the hair that she obviously takes a great deal of pride in! :clap:

GROW ... lovely portrait ... I agree with what's been said. But, is it just me or would the image benefit from another inch visible below the chin?

Absolutely nowt wrong with that Phil, is a lovely shot of your mum. :)

Like that you have both eyes in the shot, and can't see anything wrong with the focus, not sure that super sharp with increased clarity etc would suit this image anyway.

Great detail in the fine hairs which stand out beautifully against the dark background.

:clap:

Thanks Graham

Hi, as above really a nice portrait of your mum, well exposed and a good conversion, nothing wrong with that at all (y)

Thanks Allan

Change - very typical of the sort of weather we've had recently, rain one minute and bright sunshine the next! You've done well to get so much clarity in the landscape without losing the shapes and reflections in the raindrops. My only crit would be that there's an awful lot of blue sky compared to the amount of land, but I expect it would have been difficult to find a lower pov without losing the idea of sunshine.

Grow - a really lovely shot of your mum, definitely one for the family album! Focus is spot on for me with the softer feminine facial features and sharper focus on the hair that she obviously takes a great deal of pride in! :clap:

Thanks Elaine :)

GROW ... lovely portrait ... I agree with what's been said. But, is it just me or would the image benefit from another inch visible below the chin?

Thanks David, you could be right, also I'd like a little more space to the left at the back of her head. I didn't get a lot of time to compose the shot and there's no crop so I can't open the image out :banghead: :)

Hi Phil
Change - good idea, certainly not one that would have occurred to me. This is the type of shot that I like to take for myself and then others asked me why did I bother so I can understand all your misgivings :)

Grow - like the comp and the capture of the expression. Good focus and lots of detail. Maybe needs a bit more light/contrast for my taste. That thoughtful look into the distance is well caught.(y)

Grow, I'd agree wit Alan, my first thoughts was little more light on your mum's face. That said, it's well composed and a lovely contemplative expression.

Cheers.

Hi Phil

even for a PABD shot for Change you've captured the theme.....raindrops,blue sky , shafts of sunshine (y)

Grow....lovely lovely capture of your mum & a cracking mono conversion , viewed large on Flickr it's even better (think the black bg helps) & the eye's look plenty sharp :clap:

Change - Nowt wrong with this, a nice idea, the glass looks pretty clear, some nice detail in the landscape as well as the water drops... like it :)

Grow - If you look hard, then yes maybe it could be a tad sharper, but blimey nothing to worry about here, a real nice capture, still showing some great detail, really like the PP, the background sets your mum off very well, a shot to cherish mate (y)

Hi Phil

I do like change - I think that's a great shot. The colours coming through from the landscape are super. Drop nicely captured and as an image (and for the theme) it just work really well :clap:

Grow - what a lovely photo. It goes to show sometimes avoiding eye contact makes a connection with a photo even stronger... for me that's the case here. Very subtly processed and lovely composition. 10/10 and I hope you and her are very happy with the photo because you should be! (y)(y)

Hi Phil
Change - good idea, certainly not one that would have occurred to me. This is the type of shot that I like to take for myself and then others asked me why did I bother so I can understand all your misgivings :)

Grow - like the comp and the capture of the expression. Good focus and lots of detail. Maybe needs a bit more light/contrast for my taste. That thoughtful look into the distance is well caught.(y)

Thanks Alan

Grow, I'd agree wit Alan, my first thoughts was little more light on your mum's face. That said, it's well composed and a lovely contemplative expression.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Hi Phil

even for a PABD shot for Change you've captured the theme.....raindrops,blue sky , shafts of sunshine (y)

Grow....lovely lovely capture of your mum & a cracking mono conversion , viewed large on Flickr it's even better (think the black bg helps) & the eye's look plenty sharp :clap:

Thanks Lynne :)

Change - Nowt wrong with this, a nice idea, the glass looks pretty clear, some nice detail in the landscape as well as the water drops... like it :)

Grow - If you look hard, then yes maybe it could be a tad sharper, but blimey nothing to worry about here, a real nice capture, still showing some great detail, really like the PP, the background sets your mum off very well, a shot to cherish mate (y)

Thanks DK

Hi Phil

I do like change - I think that's a great shot. The colours coming through from the landscape are super. Drop nicely captured and as an image (and for the theme) it just work really well :clap:

Grow - what a lovely photo. It goes to show sometimes avoiding eye contact makes a connection with a photo even stronger... for me that's the case here. Very subtly processed and lovely composition. 10/10 and I hope you and her are very happy with the photo because you should be! (y)(y)

Thanks Paul, I just thought I'd highlight that bit because it made me :).......I showed mi mum the picture once I'd put it on flickr, her reply was 'oh dear, do I really look that old' to which I had to remind her that she is 84 :D

Thanks all for the very kind comments for which I don't think I deserve at all :oops: :$..........A short explanation is here

Last edited:
I do solemnly declare I will never get this far behind with comments again :) what an absolute age it takes to catch up!

I really like the idea for Change ...it fits the bill perfectly with the raindrops contrasting against the clear blue sky.

Oooops just got totally distracted now as I followed your link ....very interesting, and I for one would really miss you on here.

Right ...I'm back here now and the pic of your Mum ...I love this one because it doesn't look posed ...a super thoughtful expression on her face and at 84 oh my goodness, she looks wonderful ...you must be a very proud son indeed :)

I do solemnly declare I will never get this far behind with comments again :) what an absolute age it takes to catch up!

I really like the idea for Change ...it fits the bill perfectly with the raindrops contrasting against the clear blue sky.

Oooops just got totally distracted now as I followed your link ....very interesting, and I for one would really miss you on here.

Right ...I'm back here now and the pic of your Mum ...I love this one because it doesn't look posed ...a super thoughtful expression on her face and at 84 oh my goodness, she looks wonderful ...you must be a very proud son indeed :)

Thank you Susie :)

Well for such a simple idea, this was harder to get right than I thought it would be
shakehead.gif

Shot with Lynn's D70 because the D3100 has live view and that doesn't

Probably didn't need such a long focal length (200mm) but I was wanting to have a good play around with dof, was wanting it very shallow but still keep visible colour to be able to match to the actual image in live view

My own crit......I'm a numpty :cool:.........it wasn't till I got on mi lappy that I realised the rubber door on the left was slightly open at the bottom, from having mi shutter release remote plugged in last night :banghead:.....the other thing is the red focus square should have been on the water flowing over the dam wall, left of where it is, on the live view screen :rolleyes:...funny how you notice these things when its too late :clap: :rolleyes:

No crop its as shot, just a bit of adjustment in ACR

Honest crit welcome :)

Live view

TP 52 Week 44 Live
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hi Phil, it's a nice idea could maybe use a little more light to lift the back of the camera and maybe a little bit more space around the top of the camera its a little tight :thinking: but not a problem really

excellent DoF though you have certainly achieved what you wanted there and I like the upside down image in the viewfinder

I too suffer from not spotting the little things which often results in having to reshoot again or me just sobbing :arghh:

Back