weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Live view is s great idea... One that cropped up last year that I'd forgotten about. Normal usage is to have the scene a bit more visible outside of the camera screen but you have the colours echoing the image so yours works well too.

Is this a good time to confuse you by saying that focal length has no effect on DOF for the same framing anyway. Field of view and perspective change dramatically but not dof. :geek:

there's a writeup somewhere I've seen I'll try and find it tomorrow and edit the link in here if I find it

Hi Phil, it's a nice idea could maybe use a little more light to lift the back of the camera and maybe a little bit more space around the top of the camera its a little tight :thinking: but not a problem really

excellent DoF though you have certainly achieved what you wanted there and I like the upside down image in the viewfinder

I too suffer from not spotting the little things which often results in having to reshoot again or me just sobbing :arghh:

Cheers Allan, yes, agree about it being tight in frame, something else I noticed too late :arghh: :D

Live view is s great idea... One that cropped up last year that I'd forgotten about. Normal usage is to have the scene a bit more visible outside of the camera screen but you have the colours echoing the image so yours works well too.

Is this a good time to confuse you by saying that focal length has no effect on DOF for the same framing anyway. Field of view and perspective change dramatically but not dof. :geek:

there's a writeup somewhere I've seen I'll try and find it tomorrow and edit the link in here if I find it

Cheers Graham.....the link would be good, dof is something I'd like to get mi head round. I do use this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

as a guide.........and I am confused, it does show a difference in dof at different focal lengths :confused: :thinking:

Last edited:
the link would be good, dof is something I'd like to get mi head round. I do use this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

as a guide.........and I am confused, it does show a difference in dof at different focal lengths :confused: :thinking:

Here's the one I was thinking of. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dof2.shtml

"For the same subject framing / size" is the key part though.

I use that dof calc too. Even have it as an app on my phone. Should have maybe used it this week.

Last edited:
Morning Graham @overbez ,thanks for the link (y)....... bare with me on this please, sometimes I do struggle to write stuff down and it make sense :D

So if I have it right, I could have shot the same image at say 55mm, from the same distance away from subject ( the D3100 at about 5ft), that would have given me a wider field of view(obviously), but when cropped in closer to replicate the same shot at 200mm, the dof in the bg hills would look exactly the same as long as the aperture is the same at the two different focal lengths? :confused:

Not 100% sure on the cropping to replicate zoom aspect of it Phil.. But if at 55mm you physically moved closer to the live view screen to get the same subject size as you would have at 200mm from further back it apparently would give the same DOF.

(Maybe not possible here without a lens change as at 55mm on (I presume), the 55-200, you would need to be closer than the 1,4m (?) minimum focus distance).

It does appear to be a mind scrambler doesn't it?!? But if anything, it actually removes a variable from your considerations when setting up the shot. You can pick focal length more based on field / angle of view and perspective, and simply consider aperture in relation to DOF.

Is just something that lurks at the back of my mind having read that article some time back. :)

Last edited:
Live, I noticed the door straight away ;)

Good take on the theme, well composed and I like the focal length. Looks slightly underexposed :thinking:

Cheers.

Not 100% sure on the cropping to replicate zoom aspect of it Phil.. But if at 55mm you physically moved closer to the live view screen to get the same subject size as you would have at 200mm from further back it apparently would give the same DOF.

(Maybe not possible here without a lens change as at 55mm on (I presume), the 55-200, you would need to be closer than the 1,4m (?) minimum focus distance).

It does appear to be a mind scrambler doesn't it?!? But if anything, it actually removes a variable from your considerations when setting up the shot. You can pick focal length more based on field / angle of view and perspective, and simply consider aperture in relation to DOF.

Is just something that lurks at the back of my mind having read that article some time back. :)

Eureka! :D ....yes I get what your saying now Graham, although I had to think about it.................I suppose I took 55mm to be exactly that, but on the two different lenses the minimum length of the focus distance is different,giving two different fields of view at the same focal length, on the 18-55 @55mm, a lot closer than on the 55-200mm @55mm :banana:

It just goes to show, well for me anyway, I would swap lenses without realising that :rolleyes: cheers Graham :)

I've had another look at this and having read the views that it's a bit underexposed I have to agree :p

Something else I'm trying to get use to doing is reading the histogram and the first image I've used is certainly bias to the left

Here's another shot I took at 1/20, again its had a bit of an adjustment in ACR but the histogram on this image is certainly better.....I still couldn't do owt about that damn door though :banghead::D

Thanks for the input, I probably wouldn't have had another look without it :)

TP 52 Week 44 Live 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Phil, what a great take for Live - I really like that. My only slight negative crit would be a very slight haze on the LCD itself on the bottom right part (with the trees)? But other than that it's massively positive all the way:

Lighting is fab. I love natural light shots and the angle of sunlight is just perfect. It also really brings out the texture of the buttons and thumb grip top right of camera back. However, it might be the cause of the slight haze on the LCD? Don't really care though!
I love the OOF background, especially right of camera. The colours are fab and really complement the rest of the image - funnily enough, this might be one of those rare images which would work well with a border?

The overall thought process and execution is excellent... really really like this one :clap:

Hi Phil

brilliant idea for the theme , the 2nd of the 1st 2 images posted would be my prefered one , I think :thinking: The correct view , the upside down view & the cracking DOF work really well :clap: I didn't notice the door until I read your words & love that it's not only me that suffers from this sort thing !

I've also read the " conversation" between you & Graham & can quite cheerfully ask.......what in hell's name are you talking about :wideyed: I've read it several times & still don't understand....me thinks you need to come on a meet & educate me :)

meant to add...having just looked at the images again there does seem to be a very slight blue cast ? Possibly needs a nudge to increase the blacks on the camera body as well ?

Last edited:
Nice idea for the theme Phil ... wish I'd thought of it.

Yes cool images can be made by having the scene more visible.

this kinda thing ... https://thecustomizewindows.com/2012/06/live-preview-in-digital-camera/

Thanks David

Hi Phil, what a great take for Live - I really like that. My only slight negative crit would be a very slight haze on the LCD itself on the bottom right part (with the trees)? But other than that it's massively positive all the way:

Lighting is fab. I love natural light shots and the angle of sunlight is just perfect. It also really brings out the texture of the buttons and thumb grip top right of camera back. However, it might be the cause of the slight haze on the LCD? Don't really care though!
I love the OOF background, especially right of camera. The colours are fab and really complement the rest of the image - funnily enough, this might be one of those rare images which would work well with a border?

The overall thought process and execution is excellent... really really like this one :clap:

Thanks Paul

Hi Phil

brilliant idea for the theme , the 2nd of the 1st 2 images posted would be my prefered one , I think :thinking: The correct view , the upside down view & the cracking DOF work really well :clap: I didn't notice the door until I read your words & love that it's not only me that suffers from this sort thing !

I've also read the " conversation" between you & Graham & can quite cheerfully ask.......what in hell's name are you talking about :wideyed: I've read it several times & still don't understand....me thinks you need to come on a meet & educate me :)

meant to add...having just looked at the images again there does seem to be a very slight blue cast ? Possibly needs a nudge to increase the blacks on the camera body as well ?

:wave: Lynne, Thanks for the feedback :), yes, now you mention it, I can see the blue cast miself :thinking:....as you say, maybe an increase in blacks might help :)

As for the 'tech talk' :D I fully understand what Graham was on about now with reference to the focal length and dof and the fact that 55mm on different lenses has a different minimum distance for focus....:thinking:......but believe me, it would be a lot easier to show you than it would be for me to write it down :rolleyes: :D

A great idea for the theme and I would never have noticed the open door if you hadn't pointed it out! Good composition and I like the way the sunlight on the camera gives its shape more definition. My only crit would be that I would have preferred a tad more brightness from the screen and a tad less in the bg, but that's a very minor crit.

Edit to add: Sorry, just noticed the second version and that's exactly what I meant :D

Last edited:
A great idea for the theme and I would never have noticed the open door if you hadn't pointed it out! Good composition and I like the way the sunlight on the camera gives its shape more definition. My only crit would be that I would have preferred a tad more brightness from the screen and a tad less in the bg, but that's a very minor crit.

Thanks Elaine, I can certainly see what your saying :)

A couple from me this week for first

I've been messing around with a dome tool I've made to try to create 3D domes. It took a bit of messing round with, the lights have been on and off 3 times :banghead:

Anyway I think I've now sorted the tool :)

1st ones had hardly any PP, just a bit of cloning and a crop.I was going to clone out miself but changed mi mind. I closed the hole up on top by adjusting the axis that it spins on ( just for Andy @posiview :p)

2nd's had a similar crop but had the blacks upped and the highlights brought down to get rid of more of the bg. This one is spun on a longer axis to make the hole on top bigger.

Thought I'd leave the coffee table in on both :thinking:
images

They definitely need doing somewhere with some interest, but these were just a practise and the 'first' I've been happy wit. It was more about technique and getting the tool right, than taking the actual images this week :)

Not to everyone's taste, but honest comments and crit welcome

My first 3D light domes :)

Tp 52 Week 45 first 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

TP 52 Week 45 First
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ha ha, I wish people would stop posting new photos whilst I'm trying to catch up on my feedback :( Very impressed with your first First shot. I hear what you're saying about background, but I think the extra contrast and highlights make for a better overall image. Not keen on the bit of coffee table being left in. Not being in the least bit technically minded, I thought at first that it was part of the tool thing you used to create the dome and only recognised the table leg on closer inspection:oops: :$

Great link to the theme there Phil... ;) not that I can really talk. :)

Prefer the first of these, think the closed hole at the top does work better. Great colour and I like the take leg being left in. I think that having some ( not too much) of the surroundings in shot really helps.

I though this was taken outside but on closer looks it seems to be in a carpeted front room. Prefer the brighter BG of the first to, although I think it could come a bit darker. Not much though.

Hi Phil , both are good but overall I prefer the first one but I do like the shape of the second one, at first I thought the coffee table was a no no but I have grown to like it,
I think the reason the second one is not as appealing is its position in the frame bit too close to the bottom :thinking:

well done for making them though (y)

Hi Phil, I like the first - I think the light spill onto the floor really adds something. I think if you could move it further away from the wall so there's no spill onto that it'd be ideal.

Unsure about the table... I can see both sides of the argument. I'm thinking that it doesn't really link to the main subject - but you do need something to balance the image. Maybe something other than a coffee table, but not sure what :thinking:

Great job though - haven't seen these light domes before, very cool! (y)

Ha ha, I wish people would stop posting new photos whilst I'm trying to catch up on my feedback :( Very impressed with your first First shot. I hear what you're saying about background, but I think the extra contrast and highlights make for a better overall image. Not keen on the bit of coffee table being left in. Not being in the least bit technically minded, I thought at first that it was part of the tool thing you used to create the dome and only recognised the table leg on closer inspection:oops: :$

Thanks Elaine :) ....yes, the table leg :thinking:

Great link to the theme there Phil... ;) not that I can really talk. :)

Prefer the first of these, think the closed hole at the top does work better. Great colour and I like the take leg being left in. I think that having some ( not too much) of the surroundings in shot really helps.

I though this was taken outside but on closer looks it seems to be in a carpeted front room. Prefer the brighter BG of the first to, although I think it could come a bit darker. Not much though.

Thanks Graham,.......:thinking:..... you saying it needs a the crowbar! :p

Yep, took inside, as I mentioned, these were just a practise to see if the finished light dome looked ok. TBH I think I prefer the pattern on the 2nd, i've had a good look on Google and can't find many like that with the hole enlarged :)

Hi Phil , both are good but overall I prefer the first one but I do like the shape of the second one, at first I thought the coffee table was a no no but I have grown to like it,
I think the reason the second one is not as appealing is its position in the frame bit too close to the bottom :thinking:

well done for making them though (y)

Thanks Alan, user error was the cause for the 2nd being so close to the bottom edge, when I lengthened the axis the turning circle became bigger, obviously,but it didn't dawn on mi at the time :rolleyes:

Hi Phil, I like the first - I think the light spill onto the floor really adds something. I think if you could move it further away from the wall so there's no spill onto that it'd be ideal.

Unsure about the table... I can see both sides of the argument. I'm thinking that it doesn't really link to the main subject - but you do need something to balance the image. Maybe something other than a coffee table, but not sure what :thinking:

Great job though - haven't seen these light domes before, very cool! (y)

Thanks Paul, next images with it should be outside, hopefully somewhere with a lot more interest :)

Phil I really love these ...I'm not sure how it's actually done but the images are so unusual and very eye catching ....the colour is wonderful. I think I like the first best...it looks like something landing and I really like the way the light catches the coffee table. I can imagine you had a great time doing those.... just up my street :clap:

Hey Phil :)

Live - Ahhhh you bugger, that's what I was thinking, after my socket/screwdriver thought, had to change again :D

Like the edited version, and like your own crit... although I too would like to see a lot more of the background, its now nicely lit, level and a top idea (y)

First - Ooooo nighttime shenanigans... Love the colour of that and the effect on the background, I even like the table as a lead in - Great effort :clap:

Well Phil,

First: I have no idea how you did that but it's pretty cool and so really it's all I can say! Though, I do prefer the first one with the smaller top hole.
Grow: Great shot. Love it.

Hi Phil

neat ......love the color , love the fact it's not on plain black ( not really convinced over the table leg though?) , like the 1st one for the tighter knit weave( if you see what I mean) & the 2nd one for the unusual larger hole at the top (y)

Hi, Phil, dome are fascinating.

Of the two, I prefer #1. Crit, only the overexposed lines, not sure what causes this :thinking:, and it looks like you did more than one rotation??

Cheers.

Phil I really love these ...I'm not sure how it's actually done but the images are so unusual and very eye catching ....the colour is wonderful. I think I like the first best...it looks like something landing and I really like the way the light catches the coffee table. I can imagine you had a great time doing those.... just up my street :clap:

Thanks Susie :)

Hey Phil :)

Live - Ahhhh you bugger, that's what I was thinking, after my socket/screwdriver thought, had to change again :D

Like the edited version, and like your own crit... although I too would like to see a lot more of the background, its now nicely lit, level and a top idea (y)

First - Ooooo nighttime shenanigans... Love the colour of that and the effect on the background, I even like the table as a lead in - Great effort :clap:

Cheers DK

Well Phil,

First: I have no idea how you did that but it's pretty cool and so really it's all I can say! Though, I do prefer the first one with the smaller top hole.
Grow: Great shot. Love it.

Cheers Si

WOW don't know what it is but I like it. :)

Cheers David

Hi Phil

neat ......love the color , love the fact it's not on plain black ( not really convinced over the table leg though?) , like the 1st one for the tighter knit weave( if you see what I mean) & the 2nd one for the unusual larger hole at the top (y)

Thanks Lynne, I'm not convinced on the table leg either :D

Hi, Phil, dome are fascinating......:tumbleweed:

Of the two, I prefer #1. Crit, only the overexposed lines, not sure what causes this :thinking:, and it looks like you did more than one rotation??

Cheers.

Cheers Andy....I've added the tumble weed you'd missed :p I've realised that because I was wanting a 3D look, as the lights pass the centre bar it creates the gaps I was getting on my first few attempts, because of that it needs spinning around 4 or 5 times to get the 'complete' look

Hi Phil

Live - the edit overcomes concerns re the first being a bit dark. Good colour and one can now see the details in the camera body better.

First - well a link of a sort :) - well handled altho not a subject in which i see much interest. :( Not sure which I like best, prob #2 because of the better clarity in the lines.

Smilies not working at moment so homemade ones!!

EDIT - Oooh smilies came out as pictures!

Hi Phil

Live - the edit overcomes concerns re the first being a bit dark. Good colour and one can now see the details in the camera body better.

First - well a link of a sort :) - well handled altho not a subject in which i see much interest. :( Not sure which I like best, prob #2 because of the better clarity in the lines.

Smilies not working at moment so homemade ones!!

EDIT - Oooh smilies came out as pictures!

Thanks Alan :)

Smooth, another theme where I get an idea into mi head, think its going to be easy and it turns into a nightmare
shakehead.gif

Two 'shots' from me this week, the first was nearer the idea I had, but I quite like the effect of the 2nd.

I didn't get exactly what I was after, it turns out that to get the dof I wanted was impossible without being that far away from the subject, that when cropped, it didn't work anyway, so had to settle for these

First is @ f36, second @ f5.6 so both shot at the extremes

Two for smooth from me........any ideas what it is? ;)

TP 52 Week 46 Smooth
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

TP52 week 46 smooth 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm intrigued Phil. :thinking: reminds me of my swirly cake shot back in week 11...

Can see some sky and a hedge in the centre reflection telling me is a vertical object spinning about a horizontal axis.... Looks like it's being spun, and by hand as there is more blur in the shorter shutter (second) version.....

I can't pick a fave out of the two as they both are interesting. More clues in the first but smoother circle in the second.

Don't need to put me out my misery straight away, I'd like to hear others take on the what is it first. (y)

I'm intrigued Phil. :thinking: reminds me of my swirly cake shot back in week 11...

Can see some sky and a hedge in the centre reflection telling me is a vertical object spinning about a horizontal axis.... Looks like it's being spun, and by hand as there is more blur in the shorter shutter (second) version.....

I can't pick a fave out of the two as they both are interesting. More clues in the first but smoother circle in the second.

Don't need to put me out my misery straight away, I'd like to hear others take on the what is it first. (y)

Cheers Graham, the object was perfectly still, no spinning involved at all :p the blur in both is nothing more than dof ;)

The focus point is the circle right in the centre, according to the dof calculator, at 700mm to focus point, @ f32 (no option for f36:confused:) only 84mm is in front, so slightly more at f36. @ f5.6 only 16mm in front........... behind the focus point is immaterial because it's open space ;)

I'm starting to enjoy this 'tech talk' :geek: :D

Last edited:
Hi Phil, very interesting, out of the two i prefer the second maybe :thinking: nice abstract images (y)
as to what it is to me it looks like either a speaker cone or a wheel, but I have a feeling I am totally wrong
I will leave the tech talk to others :geek: :exit:

I'll comment proper later...I'm supposed to be on the Asda website telling Jackie what we want for Christmas dinner :)

I saw something similar on Flipboard recently - a guy put trainers on a spinning wheel and did long exposures of them spinning, produced some cracking abstracts.

Cheers.

Thanks Phil.... That just makes it worse for me... :thinking:

Hi Phil, very interesting, out of the two i prefer the second maybe :thinking: nice abstract images (y)
as to what it is to me it looks like either a speaker cone or a wheel, but I have a feeling I am totally wrong
I will leave the tech talk to others :geek: :exit:

Thanks Allan......you are of coarse correct............

you are totally wrong :p

I'll comment proper later...I'm supposed to be on the Asda website telling Jackie what we want for Christmas dinner :)

I saw something similar on Flipboard recently - a guy put trainers on a spinning wheel and did long exposures of them spinning, produced some cracking abstracts.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy .......but no spinning involved ;)

Thanks Phil.... That just makes it worse for me... :thinking:

Your welcome Graham :p......here's a bit more detail, lens was an 18-55, focus point was 700mm away, (the centre circle) but the lens was no more than 25mm away from the subject.

The smooth part of the image is nearly it all, its just the very shallow dof that makes it oof ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm, difficult choice. I prefer the detailed reflection in the centre of the first one, but I like the smoothed out blur of the second one and that definitely fits the theme better. Maybe a composite of the two?

Well Phil, I really like both! I haven't a scooby what they are but I think they're fantastic abstract shots. Definitely hanging material for me :) :clap: especially the first.

Is it some sort of a lid - like a saucepan lid or something? Or an urn from above?

Back