weekly pjm1's 52 in 2014 week 52 (Support) added... FINISHED!

Hi Paul, thats just scary, Donnie Darko is a great film, you have nailed the lighting on this, very menacing, going to have to agree with DK above can't really add much in the way of crit,
but what I do know is I like it :clap:

Cool, thank you Allan... yes, I was clearly in a funny frame of mind when I came up with that one :) Thanks for the positive comments!

Its a great image Paul, composition,well lit, focus on the lettering looks spot on and great dof (y)

Not being a film watcher at all, I don't get the connection to ...errrrr Donnie Darko?? .....:thinking:.....and I think I've only ever seen Alice in Wonderland once, a very long, long time ago :D

Hi Phil - DD is a very "noir" film - and features a demented human-sized rabbit (which is clearly just a human-sized human wearing a freaky rabbit costume). Glad you like it... although confession time, I did add the lettering in post so it should be in focus! (Although I added a slight blur to it I think, just to blend better).

Nonsense .... yea .... this is the sort of nonsense we need!

I really like the composition/pov ... and of course the lighting is good. :clap:

Well done on getting a melon to look like the moon, and the writing on it like that.

Glad you approve David! (y) I did take a few test shots with slightly different positions, but this one seemed to work best (including not staring back at camera).

The melon will shortly be eaten... I'll let everyone know if it tastes of cheese ;)

Nonsense - wonderful idea good composition and some good use of pp skills I like this a lot.

Thanks Mandy... sometimes the best ideas are the craziest :) My PP is far from perfect (quite a bit I'd like to tighten up next time), but this weekend was a bit hectic so just wanted to get something shot!

Good bit of editing on this one Paul. I even like the fact you've gone the extra mile by editing yourself in the background. Should it be a full moon? Maybe maybe not. I'm not so bothered. If I was to be nit picky I feel the moon needs some more shadows caused by fingers. Some have it some don't so I'm sure not much more editing needed. Even so this is a great take on the theme

Great work Paul - fantastically well lit image, and well planned out and executed. Holding the melon in the hands was a great idea, I love the texture of the melon where you;lve left it round your fingers, I think more of this might have benefitted, adding a bit more oddness to it all. And at the same time getting round Peter's point of needing to see more shadow round the fingers.

Good bit of editing on this one Paul. I even like the fact you've gone the extra mile by editing yourself in the background. Should it be a full moon? Maybe maybe not. I'm not so bothered. If I was to be nit picky I feel the moon needs some more shadows caused by fingers. Some have it some don't so I'm sure not much more editing needed. Even so this is a great take on the theme

Hi Peter, thank you very much for the kind feedback - glad it worked for you... you're right about the shadows which I did umm and ahh about a bit when I was doing my PS trickery... in the end I decided to leave it as was, which perhaps wasn't the right choice in the end?

Great work Paul - fantastically well lit image, and well planned out and executed. Holding the melon in the hands was a great idea, I love the texture of the melon where you;lve left it round your fingers, I think more of this might have benefitted, adding a bit more oddness to it all. And at the same time getting round Peter's point of needing to see more shadow round the fingers.

Cool, thank you Graham... and you're being very kind about the lighting! (And I should stop biting my fingernails - eek!) I also like your idea about knocking the opacity of the moon down a touch - I think that would really help.

Cheers all :)

And in other news... my new strobe arrived - hurrah! It's a cheap Chinese thing, a Godox DS300, and only has a 3 stop range so not fancy. But, at full power it's blasting out 300Ws of light so it's a MASSIVE upgrade from the flash. Quite heavy though, so not sure fitting it on a boom arm would be a good idea unless I significantly upgrade my light stands. Sadly can't play with my giant softbox as they only sent two poles so I can't put it up until they dispatch the other two! Grrrr....

(and my first film taken with "the beast" has arrived at the processing lab and is being developed and scanned... all very exciting!!) Oooh... it's like it's Christmas or something :)

Wow Paul that certainly is a weird one ...no wonder your little girl was scared, but it certainly fits the theme, you've created a very interesting image so very well done to you.

Hiya Susie... thank you (I think!) and yes, it's a bit of a surreal one. I do like that sometimes :) It'd good fun this photography lark!

Thanks for commenting, as always.

Ok, here is the photo that of the 52 so far, I'm happiest with!

But... it's by far from my best photo. I'm happy because it's the first photo from my new (old) camera - my Mamiya RZ67ii, shot on Ilford HP5+ 400 at f/8 (medium format so that's closer to f/4 in "35mm" in terms of DOF).

I'm delighted! I've taken it into LR, played with the curves a smidge and cropped it but no other PP. BECAUSE IT'S FILM! (can you tell I'm excited?)

It's not on theme. Except for the very tangential link of my new toy being a complete extravagence for me... but I really don't care :)

I can't remember photography making me this excited - it's wonderful!!

Week 51: Extravagent
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

I'm not going to pretend the photo is in any way earth-shattering, but I still love it :) Lighting was all from my similarly unnecessary purchase of a new strobe, which was bounced off wall (behind) and ceiling - hence the catchlights.

LOVING film. It's a complete extravagence!

Edited to add: if anyone is wondering why the eye contact is slightly "above" the camera... well that'll be the waist-level viewfinder which means she is probably looking right at me wondering what on earth I'm doing staring down into this big box :)

Last edited:
You Paul, are just like a big kid at Christmas. :LOL:

Sooo glad you finally got something you can take pics with, and this is a beauty for a first one out. I can see the film traits such as the grain, and a few scratches and other marks, which do add to the image.

The straight on positioning and the eye-contact (close enough) works soo well with the tree and fireplace either side to balance.

I will agree aptness to the theme is complete, you have one perfectly good camera, any more than that is utterly extravagant. ;) And we presume mrs pjm will be getting something equally so under that tree tomotrrow morning.

Merry Christmas mate. :)

Hi Paul, its a nice portrait of the little one, nicely composed etc, after reading the other thread glad you finally got what you wanted.
only on theme with the explanation but I will let you off with that.

can't believe you have already used your Christmas present :wideyed:

I like the snowy christmassy whiteness of this shot. And good composition.

Enjoy your camera Paul .... I know you will.

Hi Paul

Nonsense......a little lost on me I'm afraid , not seen Donnie Darko.....I am wondering why you have red eye's & something bizarre going off on your head :exit:

& as for....Extravagant ......you're beginning to sound a lot like a certain Mr Posiview :D I love that rocking horse.......never ever sell it......your daughter will never forgive you.......I speak from experience :rolleyes:

Have a fab Christmas & enjoy your new toy (y)

unnecessary purchase of a new strobe

Oi, don't be letting my wife here you say thinks like that :)

It's on theme for me. Wonderful lighting, great eye contact and the tones are really soft and balanced.

Very pretty girl as well and I like how she is holding onto teddy :)

Cheers.

Hi Paul
Extravagant - back story really gives the context, altho my first reading of the shot was the potential extravagance of a lovely rocking horse, so well on theme. Nice subtle tones in there and an excellent capture of a wonderful expression. I am always unsure of b&w when we live in a coloured world but this shot give the lie to that. Wonderful :clap:

A beautiful shot of a beautiful little girl. Enjoy your extravagance Paul :clap:

You Paul, are just like a big kid at Christmas. :LOL:

Sooo glad you finally got something you can take pics with, and this is a beauty for a first one out. I can see the film traits such as the grain, and a few scratches and other marks, which do add to the image.

The straight on positioning and the eye-contact (close enough) works soo well with the tree and fireplace either side to balance.

I will agree aptness to the theme is complete, you have one perfectly good camera, any more than that is utterly extravagant. ;) And we presume mrs pjm will be getting something equally so under that tree tomotrrow morning.

Merry Christmas mate. :)

You are bang on, Graham :) Kid in a candy shop!

Glad it hits the mark for you: I loved it (once I'd adjusted the curves slightly) but I put that more down to it being a picture of my daughter rather than because it was necessarily a good picture... however, I must confess to being particularly pleased with the lighting. For some reason it just looks a lot smoother on film than I'm able to achieve with digital - but perhaps that's just because I'm looking for it to be so?

Thanks for looking and hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Hi Paul, its a nice portrait of the little one, nicely composed etc, after reading the other thread glad you finally got what you wanted.
only on theme with the explanation but I will let you off with that.

can't believe you have already used your Christmas present :wideyed:

Thanks Allan - yes, pleased finally to receive what I was after! I have a couple more lenses arriving in January ready for my "course" as well as another couple of films coming back from the developers... all very exciting! (And the great/surprising thing is the lenses seem to be about £100 a pop second hand?!)

Yes, I'm an impatient b*gger but was obviously trying it out on the (justifiable?) basis of making sure it works properly and the only real way to tell was to take a whole roll and have it developed :)

Hope you had a great Christmas...

Well you sound happy :) that's certainly a shot to be proud of ...your little girl looks beautiful ...definitely one to treasure.

Thanks Susie... this shot, somewhat surprisingly, has definitely won some fans - especially with the family & friends - so very pleased! Thank you for the kind compliments and hope you and yours had a lovely Christmas.

I like the snowy christmassy whiteness of this shot. And good composition.

Enjoy your camera Paul .... I know you will.

Thanks David - yes, it does feel a bit festive :) Glad you liked it.

I'm certainly enjoying my Christmas present!! Hope you had a great time - and continue to do so...

Agree that is a lovely picture, and you do really sound buizzing, what a great feeling, I'd be happy with that too, a lovely bright sharp image, liking the squarer crop out of the two on flickr (y)

Thanks Dean... glad you (and it seems, everyone else) approves! Yeah, I was very stoked when I finally got that first film back - especially given it was a bit of an ordeal actually to get the right fully functioning camera!

I prefer the slight crop - in hindsight I should have shot in portrait orientation and perhaps stepped in a touch, but I reckon I'll be doing a hires scan of this (80MP!) in the New Year so I'll be able to muck around with it a bit more and maybe get a nice print done for the wall.

Cheers for looking and hope you had a great Christmas.

Hi Paul

Nonsense......a little lost on me I'm afraid , not seen Donnie Darko.....I am wondering why you have red eye's & something bizarre going off on your head :exit:

& as for....Extravagant ......you're beginning to sound a lot like a certain Mr Posiview :D I love that rocking horse.......never ever sell it......your daughter will never forgive you.......I speak from experience :rolleyes:

Have a fab Christmas & enjoy your new toy (y)

Hiya Lynne, thanks for the comments and don't worry about not "getting" my Nonsense image... I guess that means it's on theme ;)

Izzy loves her rocking horse and I don't think we will sell it (screaming child or adult for that matter is not something I'd willingly face!)

Not sure what you mean with me sounding a bit like Andy... I'd like to think he and I have very sensible views on gear acquisition syndrome: it's a way of life :)

Thanks for looking and hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Oi, don't be letting my wife here you say thinks like that :)

It's on theme for me. Wonderful lighting, great eye contact and the tones are really soft and balanced.

Very pretty girl as well and I like how she is holding onto teddy :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy! Glad you approve of it and also the technicals... the first few rolls of film have all been a bit "guesstimate" compared with the instant feedback of digital. Not helped by me "losing" my lightmeter (it was actually my digital camera that I was intending use as an exposure meter, but I forgot the battery on my Christmas trip down to my folks... so had no "light meter"). Which meant I had to take two rolls of film and simply guess the EV... also bearing in mind most of the shots I was taking were of things I was intending to use my digital camera for!! Let's just say it's been a very useful learning experience: a few rules of thumb (sunny 16 adjusted for "overcastness") and simple guesswork (I reckon my flash mounted off camera at full pelt requires f/8 and 1/125 but that's just a lucky guess!) We'll see what the developed rolls come back like, but I'm planning to rely on film's latitude for under/over exposure :)

Thanks for the kind compliments and hope you all had a wonderful Christmas at Posiview manor!

Hi Paul
Extravagant - back story really gives the context, altho my first reading of the shot was the potential extravagance of a lovely rocking horse, so well on theme. Nice subtle tones in there and an excellent capture of a wonderful expression. I am always unsure of b&w when we live in a coloured world but this shot give the lie to that. Wonderful :clap:

Hi Alan, thank you so much for the very kind comments - I'm glad my shot has helped convert you to the wonders of B&W (I do think film helps and I'll concede some of us can overuse the look a bit!) Glad you like it and hope you and yours had a great Christmas.

Beautiful image can't really add to what's already been said.

Hi Mandy - thank you for echoing so many kind comments and hope you had a lovely Christmas and you weren't working too hard!

A beautiful shot of a beautiful little girl. Enjoy your extravagance Paul :clap:

Hi Elaine, thank you for the very kind compliments - I never tire of hearing nice words about my kids! I was very pleased with the outcome of that first film - a couple of nice shots and this one topped it off for me. Not bad given half the roll (i.e. 5 frames) were ruined by me loading it into a duff camera first time around and trying to get it to work!

Hope you had a great Christmas and you're looking forward to more photography in the New Year :)

I'm now back to the grindstone for a couple of days - hence the early start this morning (currently sitting in an airport lounge waiting to be called for my flight)... I won't have a chance to take any photos until Hogmanay but have an idea or two for Support... have fun till then.

Hi everyone...

I'm very late this week and I really wanted to do a special one for this last theme. Unfortunately, I've been knocked flat with a horrid bug (all bugs are horrid for us guys) and spent most of the day today in bed. Still not feeling any better but I decided I just had to get on with it. Apparently there's some partying to do in about 7 hours :eek:

The image below is very much the overall shot I wanted, but I wanted to take it naturally. Unfortunately (again - lots of bad fortune in this one!) the weather here has been dreadful for the last week or so and there has been no opportunity for a sunset or sunrise. Which meant I had to cobble together something as a composite. Both shots are taken by me but the sunset is from a few months ago. The silhouette was shot this afternoon though!

Anyway, I'm so far from 100% I'm not bothered that it's far from perfect. Loads of things I'd like to improve, in particular the blending but hey ho, I have some being ill to do :)

Well done everyone who's made it to week 52 and see you all again for the 2015 52 :)

Week 52: Support
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

And for anyone who's interested, here's a link to the SOOC "silhouette"... quite a bit of PP required! http://i.imgur.com/FYMqvxH.jpg

Excellent Paul, the pp'ing is superb (y), way beyond my ability :)

You've done extremely well with this years '52 , we all had a head start on you, not only have you submitted great images, you've been a big contributor with comments and crit, well done:clap:

Happy New Year, abt for 2015

Excellent Paul, the pp'ing is superb (y), way beyond my ability :)

You've done extremely well with this years '52 , we all had a head start on you, not only have you submitted great images, you've been a big contributor with comments and crit, well done:clap:

Happy New Year, abt for 2015

Thanks mate - that means a lot and will miss your contribution next year. Don't be a stranger!

Edit: HNY to all btw!!

Last edited:
Hi Paul, nice picture to finish on, has been a pleasure doing the 52 with you, you put a lot of thought into what you do and how you comment on others pics an example to most of us who take part.

Have a great new year and I will pop in now and again to see your 52 for 2015 (y)

Hi Paul, nice picture to finish on, has been a pleasure doing the 52 with you, you put a lot of thought into what you do and how you comment on others pics an example to most of us who take part.

Have a great new year and I will pop in now and again to see your 52 for 2015 (y)

Thanks Allan. Without getting too gushy (might be the drugs!) It's all of you that have made this such fun. You've all been responsible for bringing my photography on leaps and bounds - still a way to go mind! So thank you all and enjoy tonight!!

Well done Paul.. Lovely image to finish on, not sure if many would have guessed s as to it being a composite, which is after all the acid test of a good or bad one.

Is an impressive feat that your managed a whole 52 in 6 months (?), not only with your postings... But also a years worth of critique in half that time too.

It's been a pleasure following your thread and I'm glad you have stopped referring to yourself as a beginner. :) all the best for next year, both in life and the 52, although some would say there is no distinction between the two. :)

Well done Paul.. Lovely image to finish on, not sure if many would have guessed s as to it being a composite, which is after all the acid test of a good or bad one.

Is an impressive feat that your managed a whole 52 in 6 months (?), not only with your postings... But also a years worth of critique in half that time too.

It's been a pleasure following your thread and I'm glad you have stopped referring to yourself as a beginner. :) all the best for next year, both in life and the 52, although some would say there is no distinction between the two. :)

Thanks Graham... Your collective support has been fantastic and kept me going sometimes! Have a great New Year...

Great way to end your 2014 challenge wonderful looking image, sorry to hear that you have man lergy :hungover: I hope that you feel better soon. And have a lovely wonderfull Happy New Year.

Thanks Mandy... Man lurgy has been abated somewhat by a fairly generous dosage of red wine :)

Have a great NYE and here's to 2015 for us all!

Hi Paul

Happy New Year to you n yours....hope the man flu has abated & you're back on form now:hug:

If you hadn't said I wouldn't have guessed the shot was a composite....not going to crit as given the circumstances I think you've done really well......& it's bang on theme !

It's been a pleasure following you this year , you've put most of us to shame with your indepth comments , you've accepted good & not so good feedback with a great attitude & constantly produced fabulous images......looking forward to more of the same this year :clap:

Hi Paul

Happy New Year to you n yours....hope the man flu has abated & you're back on form now:hug:

If you hadn't said I wouldn't have guessed the shot was a composite....not going to crit as given the circumstances I think you've done really well......& it's bang on theme !

It's been a pleasure following you this year , you've put most of us to shame with your indepth comments , you've accepted good & not so good feedback with a great attitude & constantly produced fabulous images......looking forward to more of the same this year :clap:

Thanks Lynne... the background image was the only "empty" shot of a sunset I could find and didn't particularly like it because of the lens flare and general weirdness on the right of the frame (that'll be shooting into the sun with a zoom lens for you!)

Man flu developing into stage 2: yucky cold, so that's progress in my book :) Stiff neck and back is responding to ibuprofen so all's well now.

I get as much pleasure from commenting as I do from posting pics, so there's no danger of me stopping this year! I might be taking it a bit easier in the first few weeks though as there are so many photos to look at...

HNY and I hope 2015 is a fab year for you (y)

Extravagant - It's really good to hear you have been so excited about this image. The RZ67 is a great camera. I've still got a Bronica SQA but haven't used it for yes so well done you. Did you also process the film? I used to enjoy all that playing with chemicals stuff. nice image as well. Looks like your daughter (?) likes her horse as well. The inclusion of the tree and fireplace add to a sense of extravagance.

Support - Super family shot. There's definitely a connection between child and father in this. Good pp'ing as well to blend the two together.

Well done for finishing the year Paul:clap:

Extravagant - It's really good to hear you have been so excited about this image. The RZ67 is a great camera. I've still got a Bronica SQA but haven't used it for yes so well done you. Did you also process the film? I used to enjoy all that playing with chemicals stuff. nice image as well. Looks like your daughter (?) likes her horse as well. The inclusion of the tree and fireplace add to a sense of extravagance.

Support - Super family shot. There's definitely a connection between child and father in this. Good pp'ing as well to blend the two together.

Well done for finishing the year Paul:clap:

Hi Peter - thank you and well done to you too!

I am loving the RZ - haven't started developing my own film yet but I have a course booked at the studio I've joined at the end of the month which covers both processing and darkroom (i.e. wet printing)... should be fun!

Izzy does like her horse but she prefers stealing her big brother's toys mostly to annoy him, I think! Didn't have much choice about including the rest of the scene - at the time I only had a 50mm (i.e. very wide angle) lens - gear acquisition syndrome has now fixed that though ;)

Thanks for the comments on Support. It was kind of the shot I was after in the end but a lot more effort to get it than I would have liked! Not exactly perfect, but I'm still pleased I managed to pull it together from the raw materials.

Happy New Year and will you be joining us for TP'15?

Hi Paul ...I love it ...a really super shot and so much natural feeling captured there between you and your little girl...it's certainly one to treasure, it would be on my wall for sure.

You've done amazingly well to catch up, and your comments are always so uplifting, I'm really looking forward to your 2015 thread.

Hi Paul ...I love it ...a really super shot and so much natural feeling captured there between you and your little girl...it's certainly one to treasure, it would be on my wall for sure.

You've done amazingly well to catch up, and your comments are always so uplifting, I'm really looking forward to your 2015 thread.

Thanks Susie - it has been fun, which I why I'm doing this year's as well :) Look forward to commenting on yours too. First shot is up but it's not particularly exciting, I'm afraid!

Happy New Year!

Damn Paul... If that is a poor job, god knows when you will hit your peak :jawdrop:

That's excellent, PS is something I really must start to use occasionally, your image looks very effective to me Paul (y)

A very fitting end shot for your 2014 52 Paul :clap:

And hope you are feeling better soon mate...

Maybe not what you originally envisaged, but a fab image to end the year on Paul! Well done on a great job with the pp and I look forward to seeing more of your shots in 2015.

Back