weekly Southdowns' 52/2012 - Week 52 - Busy SP Posted. Thank You, and Goodnight :)

Really good image on theme and the border doesn't bother me, it works well (y)

Thats a great photograph Mark
I think the letterbox crop on the black background work well. Good choice.
You've got the dof and focus just right on the winning competitor.
All round great work, which I feel will be the most unique this week with your three subjects. Iain

Thanks Iain! Once I'd taken it I initially decided to wait and see if I could come up with a better idea, but after a few looks at it I realised I really like this shot. Glad you do too :)

Haha very good.

Cheers!

Very good, great idea. Like the PoV and DoF.
My original idea was scaleletrix

Thanks. Scalectrix would work great, except that I never had any as a boy :crying:, and now have a family of girls :help:

That is awesome, shame you couldn't get a rabbit to pose on the side having a kip! Great perspective and execution, well done

Thank you. The rabbit would be a fantastic addition, but I'm not sure how you make them sleep!

Hi, there, missed a few....:thinking:

Handmade, brilliant. Stickr...:D I like the composition and slight vignetting. I'd like to see the lower photographs in focus.

Money, hey, anything with fire in is not easy to photograph and you've done well. I think this would be a great triptych. Note sparking, then both, then just the rolled up notes.

Win, tortoises, gotta admire their gusto :D I like the low perspective, but it feels a little tight for me. Think I'd like to see a tad wider and a bit more FG. Nice DOF, though and (y) for getting in so soon.

Thanks for that :) The triptych for money is a fantastic idea; why didn't I think of that :bang:

Wider crop on Win below (as wide as my original framing will let me go), with more FG. I could also add more at the top, but the starting flags detract from the picture, and there's an ugly fence at the end of my drive that would come into shot. To be honest though, I think I'll stick to my guns as I like the original better.

Love the win shot, perfect execution. The money shots had lots of creativity too, Mandy

and;

Looking forward to swopping tips on the practical photographer modules!

Thanks Mandy :) I'm not sure there's many tips I'd be able to give you though, having seen your photography; you're streets ahead of me!

Really good image on theme and the border doesn't bother me, it works well (y)

I'm glad people like the border :) I think it adds to the picture, but there's always the danger of adding unnecessary PP.

Win, an absolutely cracking shot. Great take on the theme, dof spot on and the border works really well with the picture.

Thank you, that means a lot.

Like it a lot. Put a big smile on my face!

Perfect, that's the goal!!!!

Win - love this shot. Great idea and a well taken photo.

Thank you.

Here's the edit for Andy. If you don't like it, blame him!!!!!!

W10 - Win 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
ha ha lovely shot, did it look any good with all the flags in shot?

I was going to do a snail race (damp cloth, 13" diameter circle, some snails) but all the snails in my garden are in suspended animation and refuse to come out of their shells :LOL:

ha ha lovely shot, did it look any good with all the flags in shot?

Thanks! Having the flags in shot (they are in the original frame), also brings an ugly fence into view, so I thought it was better like this. The only options available to solve it were:

1) Knock down the house wall I was backed up to, or

2) Shoot from higher, which I think would have ruined the shot, or

3) Chop the start flags shorter, which I think would have looked naff, or,

4) Photoshop the fence out, which would have looked crap because I'm crap at Photoshop!!!!!

oh ok, so while I'm doing my spinning coin angular motion equations - you'll be knocking down your house :LOL: :LOL:

'Win' - love it ! best take so far I have seen on this theme. Very handy having a trio of tortoises (is that a creep of tortoises ? have no idea what the collective noun for them is called!). Great composition and cropping - brilliant !

Thanks everyone :)

Nick, it is a creep, yes, though many have suggested it should be a "rockery"! Two of them are ours (including the winner - we're sooooo proud :crying: ), and the other belongs to a friend.

i love the Win picture :D it looks like it could be one of those motivational posters you see in offices :D xx

Ha, good idea Carly! I hate slogans on photo's, but just for fun here it is. I see this being used by, lets say, "dynamically challenged" companies!

W10 - Win Motivational!.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Great shot for win, was thinking of doing a snail race, but unfortunately the only snail I could find went CRUNCH under my clown foot!!!!

win - cracking, nothing more to be said!

Hi Mark

now that did make me laugh.....fab idea for the theme & well shot :clap:

That's great Mark, I hope your models didn't got a nice treat after their race and a rossette of course! Maybe we could start a new sport - tortoise v snail race!!:LOL:

Well done and a great idea!:)

Excellent shot for win, made me chuckle! Like everything about this one.

Well done

Carol

Hi Mark, I seem to have not kept up here for some reason:bonk:

Secure - love the red stitching on the stamp, what a simple idea.

Industry - I like the four images combined, with the sepia tone I think it works really well(y) Although I actually prefer number three with all the little drawers!

Root - the close up of the roots is the winner for me. I like you set up, always interesting seeing how others do it.

Handmade - simple, clever idea nicely executed. I used to love putting photos in albums.

Money - I think I prefer number one, not sure why :thinking:

Win - Hahahahaha, brilliant shot! Although the dude on the left looks like he's got a little post growing out of his shell! But that's me being really nit-picky! I love it and think the border suits it well :clap:

Thanks Ladies, and Neil! I'm really pleased people like win, because I almost rejected it and waited for another idea, but now it's one of my favourites :)

Marsha, most people seem to like the first money shot best, which I find strange. I think it's probably best for the theme, but I like the feel of others better. If I ever have the time to do a reshoot, I'll do the triptych that Posiview suggested; I think that's the treatment I was hunting for.

Last edited:
Once I stopped laughing I had a proper look at your shot Mark and it is very well done.
I have a great deal of admiration for self portrait shots as they aren't easy.
Love the spray from the Mr Sheen can, it makes the shot for me.
Well done. (y)

Carol

Nice one Mark, very funny and I have the head for it too. I heard you do get a better shine with black boot polish if you aren't happy with Mr Sheen. :D

:LOL:
Great take on the theme, and really well taken.
I take my hat off to you good sir........you might want to wear it though :exit:

Thanks everyone:) Carol you're right - I couldn't believe how tough it was to get a decent shot. Things were either out of the frame, or badly lit, or I sprayed the polish in my eye, or something!

:LOL: hope you didn't spray the lens!

No spray on the lens Gramps. Everywhere else, yes, but not the lens!

No rash Barbara (see below), but i do smell quite nice!!!

Thanks Martin :)

My props for this one were:

- A pack of Tesco dusters
- A lip gloss for my head
- A can of Mr Sheen, label removed
- A can of Harmony hairspray, Mr Sheen label applied
- A Travelodge towel
- A Travelodge pull out sofa cushion to support the flash above head height
- Open windows to get rid of the girly fragrance!

The hairspray and Mr Sheen cans were EXACTLY the same size. I must have looked very odd comparing furniture polish with hairspray in Tesco's! Not sure what I'll use the hairspray for now; it's not exactly my thing!!!!

The things we do for art!!!!

Last edited:
:LOL: Nice one Mark
I too have the head for this photograph :D
A great fun image which works well, is bang on theme. Technically too, this works, its well lit and focussed. Good work (y) Iain

No spray on the lens Gramps. Everywhere else, yes, but not the lens!

No rash Barbara (see below), but i do smell quite nice!!!

Thanks Martin :)

My props for this one were:

- A pack of Tesco dusters
- A lip gloss for my head
- A can of Mr Sheen, label removed
- A can of Harmony hairspray, Mr Sheen label applied
- A Travelodge towel
- A Travelodge pull out sofa cushion to support the flash above head height
- Open windows to get rid of the girly fragrance!

The hairspray and Mr Sheen cans were EXACTLY the same size. I must have looked very odd comparing furniture polish with hairspray in Tesco's! Not sure what I'll use the hairspray for now; it's not exactly my thing!!!!

The things we do for art!!!!

hmm - I wondered what happened to all the Travelodge towels.:thinking:

Win - I love your tortoise shot. Makes me smile each time I look at it.

Shiny - Another smiler. I like your list of props but think it's a bit over the top to hire a Travelodge room especially for the shot :LOL:

Back