weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

Hi Alan

Got the loaves and fishes reference very biblical, good exposure and the composition works for me (y)
Of the 2 for speed the first one for me I like the blur of the ride rather than the BG, well done for getting some pics of it, is it the big one in Blackpool? I went on that once the initial drop is horrendous :puke:

Hi Alan

Got the loaves and fishes reference very biblical, good exposure and the composition works for me (y)
Of the 2 for speed the first one for me I like the blur of the ride rather than the BG, well done for getting some pics of it, is it the big one in Blackpool? I went on that once the initial drop is horrendous :puke:

Thanks Allan.

Yup that is the BIG ONE. I have not been on and am unlikely to but on the day taking these it was frightening to watch the slow crawl up to the initial high point, then there is almost a pause before that 'horrendous drop'. I think that people have to scream in order to ensure that their lungs don't pack up as they hurtle downwards. You are a brave lad for going on it. :notworthy:

Thanks Allan.

Yup that is the BIG ONE. I have not been on and am unlikely to but on the day taking these it was frightening to watch the slow crawl up to the initial high point, then there is almost a pause before that 'horrendous drop'. I think that people have to scream in order to ensure that their lungs don't pack up as they hurtle downwards. You are a brave lad for going on it. :notworthy:

Not so much brave more like stupid :wacky:

Plenty: Great setup works well.

Speed: Again nice shot, well done for trying something new!

Hi Alan, well done on your continued catch-up (y)

Plenty - I like the subtlety of your subject ;)
Technically very good too, a clean, fresh image, good work.

Speed - I am torn between the two actually, #1 gives a sense of speed certainly but I also like the people element of #2 :thinking:

Both are great submissions so I will sit on the fence with a vote :LOL:

Plenty: Great setup works well.

Speed: Again nice shot, well done for trying something new!

Thanks Lisa

Hi Alan, well done on your continued catch-up (y)

Plenty - I like the subtlety of your subject ;)
Technically very good too, a clean, fresh image, good work.

Speed - I am torn between the two actually, #1 gives a sense of speed certainly but I also like the people element of #2 :thinking:

Both are great submissions so I will sit on the fence with a vote :LOL:

Thanks Iain. Me torn too - was hoping for a bit of assistance :D

Hi, Plenty, rolls :D only the RH one loos like a mini loaf to me ;) nice detail,and interesting interpretation.

Speed #2 for me, good panning and an interesting subject.

Cheers.

Hi Alan,

Plenty: Great idea - plenty to go round and all that!
lovely composition and colours, very very nice. (y)

Speed: well I love the static shot, I really think that's great but then I saw the panned one and I liked the emotional feel of the people with their hands in the air but eventually I came back to the first one because it is just SO PERFECT. The static track and the streak of the ride - the blur in gaps between the cars really help with the feeling of how fast it's going - wow! it's a ten from me. excellent stuff. :clap:

Must admit to not seeing 'plenty' of rolls to start with. Then I saw the fishes and the loaves and fishes reference clicked. And actually there is plentyq there.

Speed has to be the second. Elevated by the difficulty factor. You have nailed the pan. I just 'expec5' the sharp focus (which is on a chap in thee middle of the cars) to be on the front car.

First one is perfect too. :clap:

Helloooooooo :wave:

Speed...#1 for me....really well caught action , nice n sharp where it should be , blue sky & I like how it goes in & out of the frame...top shot mister :clap:

Plenty...original take on the theme & very fitting ,nice n sharp , good colors & plenty of detail in those rolls....like it (y)

Hi, Plenty, rolls :D only the RH one loos like a mini loaf to me ;) nice detail,and interesting interpretation.

Speed #2 for me, good panning and an interesting subject.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Alan,

Plenty: Great idea - plenty to go round and all that!
lovely composition and colours, very very nice. (y)

Speed: well I love the static shot, I really think that's great but then I saw the panned one and I liked the emotional feel of the people with their hands in the air but eventually I came back to the first one because it is just SO PERFECT. The static track and the streak of the ride - the blur in gaps between the cars really help with the feeling of how fast it's going - wow! it's a ten from me. excellent stuff. :clap:

Cheers Brian - your thought processes mirrored mine - thus why I posted 2 cos they both seemed to fit the bill but for different reasons

Cracking shot with the roller coaster (blurred :) ) a real sense of speed.

Ta muchly

Must admit to not seeing 'plenty' of rolls to start with. Then I saw the fishes and the loaves and fishes reference clicked. And actually there is plentyq there.

Speed has to be the second. Elevated by the difficulty factor. You have nailed the pan. I just 'expec5' the sharp focus (which is on a chap in thee middle of the cars) to be on the front car.

First one is perfect too. :clap:

Thanks Graham. Plenty has to be related to the biblical reference I feel in order to fit the theme.

Panning is super difficult because I agree with you that the focus would be much better on the first few cars rather than the middle ones.

Helloooooooo :wave:

Speed...#1 for me....really well caught action , nice n sharp where it should be , blue sky & I like how it goes in & out of the frame...top shot mister :clap:

Plenty...original take on the theme & very fitting ,nice n sharp , good colors & plenty of detail in those rolls....like it (y)

Thanks Lynne

I really like mono - its just plain sinister and a great subject for mono.

Connection - now that is a bunch of connections, certainly no denying that :)

steps - super. actually quite like the modern pavement and crossing with the old fashioned clothing and footwear. And the red of that dress and shoes works perfectly.

mono - not really grabbing me, dunno why. :shrug:

connection I do like though - plenty of interest, nice and sharp throughout, well composed too.

steps - super. actually quite like the modern pavement and crossing with the old fashioned clothing and footwear. And the red of that dress and shoes works perfectly.

mono - not really grabbing me, dunno why. :shrug:

connection I do like though - plenty of interest, nice and sharp throughout, well composed too.

Thanks Graham
steps taken at a 40s weekend. Got a number of shots (army boots etc) but this had those generational features and, as you say, the red dress and shoes.

Mono - ok , no problem - ironic that this was the shot that I took the most thought and trouble over :bonk:

Connection - thanks , altho having seen Lynne's shot, mine is a bit of an also ran :D

Hi, I like steps but would prefer a lower angle and more symmetry in the crossing.

Mono, nice minimal feel and good lighting.

Connection, plenty of them but a tad busy for me.

Good catchup.

Cheers.

Hi Alan
Had to look twice at steps before i noticed the clothing, great idea, nice to see people in Lytham still carry gas masks, you can't be to careful ;)
Mono very sinister I think it could be smaller in the frame :thinking:
connection lots of them i take it is some kind of radio, more straight on would be a slight crit on it but might not have been possible.
Good catch up (y)

I'm not sure how I feel about steps, and I'm not sure why I'm not sure...

On theme and nicely done, and just the inclusion of the bottom halves nails it firmly to the theme. I think it might be the boy that niggles me... the fact that unlike the rest of the group, he's cut off at the shoulder.

Mono is a great choice for a conversion, a really simple, clean image, and the lighting works really well.

Connection is bang on theme, both from the physical connections and the idea of wireless connection. Nice and sharp, and lots to hold my interest.

Steps, nice image.

Mono, good lighting. I take it it's a mask.

Connection, bang on theme, nice strong lines throughout.

Hi Allan,

I too am a little unsure about steps :thinking:
I gathered that it was some sort of period costume but it seems to jar against the modern crossing, sorry cant expand on that.

Mono, I like this a lot, the lighting especially, the low key effect works really well. It does have a sinister feel to it but that's a big part of its appeal.

Connection, yes that certainly ticks the box but I think it just needs a little something else to lift it above a record shot IYSWIM

(y) good work on the catch up

Hey Allan :)

Steps - I like that, good splashes of colour, I like the tight crop concentrating on the lower bodies, good idea (y)

Have you got one with some space to the left?? would be interesting to see the full shadows in the frame but also think that would then look lopsided :thinking:

Mono - I'd like to see the straight top cropped off and a tad more space at the bottom, I like the feel of the shot though, a real nice colour and the edges blending into the background nicely

Connection - A cracking bit of kit that, well lit, good deep DoF and the angle works fine for me (y)

Good Catch Up :clap:

Hi Alan

40's events are great fun....the Steps shot is perfect...all those generations together , nice shiny shoes....love it :clap:

Connection......another 40's item ....can be a bit difficult to get the shot you want without any bg distractions so shooting close up is the way to go....plenty of detail & connections in there mister (y)I think you could make something of that in sepia tones as well...might have a little play if you don't mind ?

Mono.....ooohh very sinister , well lit , like how it fills the frame (y) maybe my screen but seems a little on the blue side ?

Mono is the pick of the bunch for me here. Nice use of light and a great combo of subject matter and picture style. (y)

Hi, I like steps but would prefer a lower angle and more symmetry in the crossing.

Mono, nice minimal feel and good lighting.

Connection, plenty of them but a tad busy for me.

Good catchup.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Alan
Had to look twice at steps before i noticed the clothing, great idea, nice to see people in Lytham still carry gas masks, you can't be to careful ;)
Mono very sinister I think it could be smaller in the frame :thinking:
connection lots of them i take it is some kind of radio, more straight on would be a slight crit on it but might not have been possible.
Good catch up (y)

Thanks Allan. Interesting point re the mono mask. Shot in a black box which only just accommodated the mask so I need to think about incorporating a black canvas in Photoshop around it. Might make a better shot tho. Thanks

I'm not sure how I feel about steps, and I'm not sure why I'm not sure...

On theme and nicely done, and just the inclusion of the bottom halves nails it firmly to the theme. I think it might be the boy that niggles me... the fact that unlike the rest of the group, he's cut off at the shoulder.

Mono is a great choice for a conversion, a really simple, clean image, and the lighting works really well.

Connection is bang on theme, both from the physical connections and the idea of wireless connection. Nice and sharp, and lots to hold my interest.

Thanks Nick. I see what you mean about the boy - just the nature of the sizes I suppose - I was trying to include the differences in the people rather than opting just or adults. The boy was one of very few youngsters that had been dressed for the occasion.

Steps, nice image.

Mono, good lighting. I take it it's a mask.

Connection, bang on theme, nice strong lines throughout.

Ta Mark

Hi Allan,

I too am a little unsure about steps :thinking:
I gathered that it was some sort of period costume but it seems to jar against the modern crossing, sorry cant expand on that.

Mono, I like this a lot, the lighting especially, the low key effect works really well. It does have a sinister feel to it but that's a big part of its appeal.

Connection, yes that certainly ticks the box but I think it just needs a little something else to lift it above a record shot IYSWIM

(y) good work on the catch up

Thanks Ian. I deliberately took the 40s shot on the crossing because I thought that it gave a better twist to the image than pavement or grass.

Mono was my attempt to get everything in shades of black rather than b&w

Hey Allan :)

Steps - I like that, good splashes of colour, I like the tight crop concentrating on the lower bodies, good idea (y)

Have you got one with some space to the left?? would be interesting to see the full shadows in the frame but also think that would then look lopsided :thinking:

Mono - I'd like to see the straight top cropped off and a tad more space at the bottom, I like the feel of the shot though, a real nice colour and the edges blending into the background nicely

Connection - A cracking bit of kit that, well lit, good deep DoF and the angle works fine for me (y)

Good Catch Up :clap:

Thanks Dk. No more to the left on the crossing shot unfortunately. good point re shadows.

Hi Alan

40's events are great fun....the Steps shot is perfect...all those generations together , nice shiny shoes....love it :clap:

Connection......another 40's item ....can be a bit difficult to get the shot you want without any bg distractions so shooting close up is the way to go....plenty of detail & connections in there mister (y)I think you could make something of that in sepia tones as well...might have a little play if you don't mind ?

Mono.....ooohh very sinister , well lit , like how it fills the frame (y) maybe my screen but seems a little on the blue side ?

Thanks Lynne. By all means have a go at sepia on the shot - I think that your shot of similar equipment converted to sepia is excellent.
Blue on mono? Not sure. I don't think that I can see it like that.

Mono is the pick of the bunch for me here. Nice use of light and a great combo of subject matter and picture style. (y)

Thanks Brian

Week 35 - Whimsical

I found this a tough theme but than I read this definition

"A word over-used by artists, interior decorators, and McKenzie Childs lovers too cowardly to say "fun, crazy, eclectic, amusing, child-like & fantastical".
This term is heavily pushed by the art academia world to describe objects or styles that are fun and fanciful in a higher-than-thou way.

Art student: This piece is fun, engaging, and reminds me of playfulness. The circles in the centre are very bouncy and vibrant.
Professor: Whimsical, you mean.
Art student: Huh?
Professor: Use "whimsical" or else no one in a gallery will give you a second glance."

I had this shot in mind but as the weather has changed for the worse, I have cheated and used one that I have taken before. :(

Whimsical -P1010625 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Beginning, :thinking: technically spot on, focus, DOF, composition all fine for me, you're able to conceal your surname, but there's no hiding your age now... :LOL:

I love the shot of the little fella, maybe not the traditional portrait, but the crop ups the interest for me. Nothing to fault on that for me, something about little'uns that just bring a smile to your face, yours probably more than most for this little man!

whimsical, I think that's a top quote / definition, one that would have helped me loads 2 weeks ago!! Imagine the light is quite critical on something as reflective as that - and I love the inclusion of the seagull, gives a sense of scale, and the blue against the sky works a treat!

(y)

Beginning, :thinking: technically spot on, focus, DOF, composition all fine for me, you're able to conceal your surname, but there's no hiding your age now... :LOL:

I love the shot of the little fella, maybe not the traditional portrait, but the crop ups the interest for me. Nothing to fault on that for me, something about little'uns that just bring a smile to your face, yours probably more than most for this little man!

whimsical, I think that's a top quote / definition, one that would have helped me loads 2 weeks ago!! Imagine the light is quite critical on something as reflective as that - and I love the inclusion of the seagull, gives a sense of scale, and the blue against the sky works a treat!

(y)

Thanks for the comments Graham.

As to age, after 21 months on these themes I find that more and more of people's backgrounds becomes apparent:D

Hi Alan

See where you where going with the book pic It is quite hard to make the book alone interesting, but the bright thing does detract a little.

Still good idea for the theme, what all parents want I remember when mine were babies the relief of them sleeping sometimes was bliss, the crop works fine you could even lose a little more off the top.

Curve what a great sculpture nice blue background I think you can be forgiven for using an older pic with the state of the weather this week(y)

Hi Alan

See where you where going with the book pic It is quite hard to make the book alone interesting, but the bright thing does detract a little.

Still good idea for the theme, what all parents want I remember when mine were babies the relief of them sleeping sometimes was bliss, the crop works fine you could even lose a little more off the top.

Curve what a great sculpture nice blue background I think you can be forgiven for using an older pic with the state of the weather this week(y)

Thanks Allan
Perhaps the book would have been better just against the black leather folder.
Pleased that you like the crop and I agree that it could be even more ' severe'
Just a small cheat on the sculpture :naughty:

Hi Allan,

Beginning, I like the idea behind it but am not sure about the execution for the reasons above. There is potential there if the brighter book was removed.

Still, yes, bang on theme. How long was the little one still for to enable you to take the shot?
I do like the crop, filling the frame has worked well, good choice (y)

Whimsical, again bang on theme. The seagull(s) peaking over the top just add to the whimsical nature. That looks a fantastic sculpture, very photogenic.

Good work on your catch up Allan (y)

Back