weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hi Alan, No idea what that f*** that is but you have placed it well within the frame

love your reply to Mandy :giggle:

I feel the same way about mine, you have put into words my feeling for this week :clap:

I quite like this Alan, the outer rings leading into a simple swirl, colours good too (y)

oooh nice.... great red and liking the concentric circles from the plate radiating out from / in to the spiral. I was torn between this type of framing and the square I went with on mine.... both work well as Andy said too.

anorak on for me with my next 2 points!

looks like a spinny plate to me rather than PS radial blur... due to the dust bunny lower right not being radially blurred...

and why f/36? ISO 400?, if it's a flat plate no need for small aperture to increase DOF. Lower ISO, larger aperture?

and off with the anorak! :geek:

Last edited:
Hi ya

for post & be dammed that's a darn fine shot......minimalist with punchy color , like the framing......what's not to be really happy with :clap:

:)
Hi Alan,
Good work on both positive and time (y)
Positive is a great piece of observational photography IYSWIM, the backstory works with the theme, its not a literal take and I feel it captures the viewers interest.

Time, although a literal take on the theme, it does have that little photoshoppery twist ;)
A 'clean' image with some good detail in the strap and the crop works well with the subject. Good work Mister (as Lynne would say) :D

Thanks Iain
Really good image Alan, if i had one tiny crit it would be that the background on flickr is a bit grey at the front, but can't fault it otherwise (y)(y)
Thanks Judi - not seeing the grey myself but point taken
wayyyyyyyy to go Alan....

cracking shot for time.....excellent use of pp, well thought out idea, nicely placed in the box ( on the angle rather than vertical ) , plenty of detail in the strap & crackingly white whites.......love it :clap:

Cheers Lynne
Hi Alan, nice clean image as always, and get you with your photoshop skills ;)

And they say that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks

Hi Alan, No idea what that flippitybopwithguinness that is but you have placed it well within the frame

love your reply to Mandy :giggle:

I feel the same way about mine, you have put into words my feeling for this week :clap:

Can't hide the truth :)
oooh nice.... great red and liking the concentric circles from the plate radiating out from / in to the spiral. I was torn between this type of framing and the square I went with on mine.... both work well as Andy said too.

anorak on for me with my next 2 points!

looks like a spinny plate to me rather than PS radial blur... due to the dust bunny lower right not being radially blurred...

and why f/36? ISO 400?, if it's a flat plate no need for small aperture to increase DOF. Lower ISO, larger aperture?

and off with the anorak! :geek:

Thanks Graham.
Point 1 - it is a salad spinner with the basket in its plastic container with a piece of red cord coiled in the bottom. Then spun round on a 1/2 sec exposure. As to radial blur I would have to google that to know what it means:ROFLMAO:
Point 2 - if you were to red some of my comments from the early days of the 2012, you will see that I often commented that I needed to pay more attention to detail - but I don't learn:banghead:. I had been using what is an old body (lots of dust on the sensor) to experiment with a macro lens and the settings were made for that - I just forgot to change:eggface:

Like Andy I might have been tempted by a square crop or maybe even adding some more space on the right. Go on let us into the secret - what is it?

It is the Tokig salad spinner from Ikea. It is brilliant in spinning salad too:) and at £4 is a bargain. As to crop, I actually wanted more space to the right to give somewhere for the swirl to 'move into' Just got the b/g a bit small.

Ending - probably been said, but I think spoilt by the cropping of the bowl and the spoon, not sure the cup adds anything. Lighting and focus spot on (y)
Positive - different take on the theme, nice idea.

Time is a really cleaver idea, well lit too as others have said, but the image on the face of the watch seems a bit jagged around the edges to me due to the inner bezel (I realize it isn't from looking at the really large version) and I think it would have been even better if you could have kept the hands of the watch on it too :)

Thanks Chris - you have identified a difficulty that I had in choosing where to set the 'big clock' Orig it was at the outer level of the face but that looked more 'stuck on'.. I considered trying to reintroduce the hands of the watch but decided that it looked too much like one of those 'mickey mouse' children's watches.

Hi Alan

Time: Nicely done and I like the creative addtion to the watch face. The rest of the watch and box is technically very well captured. Good job

Swirl: THeres no denying theres a swirl in this one. I like the colours, reminds me somehow of strawberry & cream sweets. Another solid submission (y)

Week 12 - Linked

I tried many shots of chains, flowers, cuff links etc, all of which might have done but none of which really took my fancy.
This shot does please me tho. However I doubt that any of it is in focus :eek: and it might not be to everyone (anyone :)) 's taste but for me it has an impact and it fits the theme being the link between grandmother and grandson and a sense of shared awe (or is that too strong a word). Anyway please fell free to like, rip to pieces or post :meh: :indifferent::)

I just wish that I could have removed the blue on the bottom of the coat - but a bit beyond me.

Last edited:
Linked- I like this Alan, very surreal, looks like an aquarium with a big fish eye glass front :thinking:, well captured, the colours are great. I think the blue light from the back adds to it (y)

Step- Some good detail in there (y), just lacks a little interest for me :)

I'm happy to take something a bit different from time to time... maybe not OOF so much as movement blur / camera shake??

Any way up, the subjects are identifiable enough, and the colours really come through strongly. Also no probs with the blue light, it seems natural enough for an aquarium, with other lit tanks around casting different lights off.

Step - the clip on the right someone else would have mentioned if you hadn't, liking this too, nice "light" conversion and good light falling on the statue too, giving good shadows and highlights.

#1 is very psychedelic and fits the theme. It doesn't grab me as looks slightly OOF and a little dark. I suspect flash was not allowed anyway. I did darken the coat on iPad and looked a little better.

#2. Good detail and the conversion works well. Pity a it the slightly bright areas but no bumping deal.

Cheers

Hi Alan, LINKED i like it, it has a few faults but it works for the theme and its quite abstract in a way
Step i really like well spotted if I have to crit maybe a little more at the top as the crop is quite close (y)
but then again when have I ever known what I am talking about

I'm happy to take something a bit different from time to time... maybe not OOF so much as movement blur / camera shake??

Any way up, the subjects are identifiable enough, and the colours really come through strongly. Also no probs with the blue light, it seems natural enough for an aquarium, with other lit tanks around casting different lights off.

Step - the clip on the right someone else would have mentioned if you hadn't, liking this too, nice "light" conversion and good light falling on the statue too, giving good shadows and highlights.

Thanks Graham - good point re the 'fuzziness' - the camera got the focus but I shook :ROFLMAO: At 1/5 sec at my age it ain't easy to hold it still.:(

#1 is very psychedelic and fits the theme. It doesn't grab me as looks slightly OOF and a little dark. I suspect flash was not allowed anyway. I did darken the coat on iPad and looked a little better.

#2. Good detail and the conversion works well. Pity a it the slightly bright areas but no bumping deal.

Cheers

Thanks Andy - indeed, no flah allowed - but I was trying for a silhouette feel and psychedelic describes it accurately.

Hi Alan, LINKED i like it, it has a few faults but it works for the theme and its quite abstract in a way
Step i really like well spotted if I have to crit maybe a little more at the top as the crop is quite close (y)
but then again when have I ever known what I am talking about

Thanks Allan. I did mess up a bit with the comp - the statue was very close to the building and there was a window to the left that I wanted to omit but could not do enough with the dof. I agree about crop but the most to the top that i could keep is as below. I am still wondering which is the best crop:thinking:

HI Alan,

Linked I quite like it there is a fair bit going on there but it keeps me interested

Step - A nice image quite like the low angle but feel its missing some thing trouble is cant work out what...

Thanks - in both comments you have summed up my thoughts!

Linked - Not doing anything for me I'm afraid.

Step - I like this one. The conversion is nicely done giving a nice bright and sharp image. The crop of #2 is the one for me.

Nice image although the highlights are slightly bright. I know what you mean about that joint on the BG... maybe a slight vignette might hide it a bit more?

Hi Alan

Linked....importantly this image speaks to you & sometimes that's all that matters :)

Step....I really like this , it's simple ,almost minimilist & the lighting draws my eye to the statue...I didn't spot the BG till I read your words...so for me it's a (y)

hi Alan

Love your link, it speaks volumes (y)(y)
Step something very different, fits the theme very well :)

Thanks Judi

Linked - Not doing anything for me I'm afraid.

Step - I like this one. The conversion is nicely done giving a nice bright and sharp image. The crop of #2 is the one for me.

No worries Peter, thanks for looking

Nice image although the highlights are slightly bright. I know what you mean about that joint on the BG... maybe a slight vignette might hide it a bit more?

Good idea re the vignette - may try for my own amusement

Hi Alan :)

Step - Not sure on this one mate, keep thinking it's clipped/cropped too much, then I look again and it seems okay, I like the lighting in both shots and certainly prefer the second crop :)

Thanks DK - really wanted to capture this but maybe difficulties of the proximity of the the building defeated me.

Hi Alan

Linked....importantly this image speaks to you & sometimes that's all that matters :)

Step....I really like this , it's simple ,almost minimilist & the lighting draws my eye to the statue...I didn't spot the BG till I read your words...so for me it's a (y)

Thanks Lynne - agree with your comments re Linked - it is one of those that means more to me than the basic pic.

Lovely.... I've been starting to go off pure black backgrounds a little of late.... they seem to be a bit of an easy option sometimes.... (I'm sure they're not - I must try one day and I'm sure I'll see).

But here - it works a treat - really emphasising the lightness of the stick, and the purple and white of the flowers. Also appreciate the effort in finding a stick to echo (or t'other way round) the shape of the flower stem.

Nice juxtaposition :D

Lovely.... I've been starting to go off pure black backgrounds a little of late.... they seem to be a bit of an easy option sometimes.... (I'm sure they're not - I must try one day and I'm sure I'll see).

But here - it works a treat - really emphasising the lightness of the stick, and the purple and white of the flowers. Also appreciate the effort in finding a stick to echo (or t'other way round) the shape of the flower stem.

Nice juxtaposition :D

Thanks Graham
Agree re preponderance of black b/g but this seemed to shine out for me against the black. The colour of the stick works particularly well I feel.
Juxtaposition :rolleyes: March 2013 - seems like only yesterday :)

A great shot Alan, really like the detail and colour, especially in the top of the twig (y)

Hi Alan, I like a black BG myself, the twig and the flower work really well and compliment each other and the BG works in bringing out the detail (y)

Back