weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

HI Alan

interesting subject for Texture...lovely warm color & very on theme (y) Now what is it ??

Agree, interesting shot for texture, good colour (y)..............:thinking:.......I thought possibly a skin/hide of some sort :confused:

Hey Allan :)

Shape - Well mate, for a second idea I'd say that works, works well as a first idea for me, love your background, how have you added that soft transition between Black and White ??

A cracking subject, real nice composition and lighting, liking the shadow too, can't fault it mate, real nice shot :clap:

Numbers - An odd thing without knowing what it is, like your composition with the number in one corner and a line from the other, adding the story brings added interest to say the least, but the image it's self holds it's own for the theme in my opinion, another strong entry (y)

Strong - Not wrong with that, agree it's not special photography wise, but it still has good general elements throughout, good focus (on what to the greatest degree I'm not certain) a bit of foreground, good DoF, a low perspective and a cheeky looking character taking centre stage... hope you have a great couple of weeks :)

Texture - Nice colours, detail and texture, well lit, say no more... still trying to work out what it is though :thinking:

Shape - A high quality product shot. Super lighting especially on the object (cheese grater?) which gives is a real 3D effect. There's even a nice glow around the subject. Super shot.

Numbers - Well seen. This is very monotone but I think you did the right thing in not converting it to B&W. The touch of colour helps in my opinion.

Strong - Nice family shot of the little chap.

Texture - You've definitely captured the texture in this interesting piece of wood. The sheen adds interest as well

Hi Alan,
shape.... love it you have made it glow(y)
Numbers... on theme, and well spotted(y)
Strong... lovely shot,what a cutie!! being a very strong boy(y)
Texture.. lots of textures and lovely warm colours(y)

Thanks for the comments Judi

Hi Alan, texture i assume some type of wood though it looks a little like dried flesh, not that I dry a lot of flesh out you understand :shifty:
nice colour, texture and sharpness (y)

Cheers Allan. It is a living palm tree trunk about 18inches wide. No flailing of flesh took any part in this shot.

HI Alan

interesting subject for Texture...lovely warm color & very on theme (y) Now what is it ??
Hi Alan .... My first thought was that it's a thin piece of veneer, but I'm not sure ! Super colour and texture in there, an excellent choice.
Agree, interesting shot for texture, good colour (y)..............:thinking:.......I thought possibly a skin/hide of some sort :confused:

Thanks all. - It is part of the trunk of a palm tree about 18inches across. Looks much like leather or veneer

Hey Allan :)

Shape - Well mate, for a second idea I'd say that works, works well as a first idea for me, love your background, how have you added that soft transition between Black and White ??

A cracking subject, real nice composition and lighting, liking the shadow too, can't fault it mate, real nice shot :clap:

Numbers - An odd thing without knowing what it is, like your composition with the number in one corner and a line from the other, adding the story brings added interest to say the least, but the image it's self holds it's own for the theme in my opinion, another strong entry (y)

Strong - Not wrong with that, agree it's not special photography wise, but it still has good general elements throughout, good focus (on what to the greatest degree I'm not certain) a bit of foreground, good DoF, a low perspective and a cheeky looking character taking centre stage... hope you have a great couple of weeks :)

Texture - Nice colours, detail and texture, well lit, say no more... still trying to work out what it is though :thinking:

Cheers DK
Transition in first shot was just tweaking with the contrast(?) slider in PP and the line between became more vague.
Cheeky fella may have chicken pox now.:eek:

Texture - great! Fascinating shot and I could look at it for hours. Well, maybe not hours non-stop but I'd love to hang it somewhere where I could keep staring at it!

Thanks Paul - steady on :)
Texture, well spotted. Good detail and I really do like the curves in the lower left.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy
Shape - A high quality product shot. Super lighting especially on the object (cheese grater?) which gives is a real 3D effect. There's even a nice glow around the subject. Super shot.

Numbers - Well seen. This is very monotone but I think you did the right thing in not converting it to B&W. The touch of colour helps in my opinion.

Strong - Nice family shot of the little chap.

Texture - You've definitely captured the texture in this interesting piece of wood. The sheen adds interest as well

Thanks for the catch up Peter and the thoughts on the concrete blocks. i am not a big fan of monotone when the simple tones of the shot give a bit more subtlety.

Hi Alan, hope you had a good holiday excellent bug shot for "wild" looks like a mantis of some kind, nicely placed in the frame and good colour

Not too sure on dreamy nice colour in the beer, but maybe a little more OOF BG to add to the dreamy effect

Hi Alan, hope you had a good holiday excellent bug shot for "wild" looks like a mantis of some kind, nicely placed in the frame and good colour

Not too sure on dreamy nice colour in the beer, but maybe a little more OOF BG to add to the dreamy effect

Thanks Allan. I was trying for as much oof b/g as poss but I don't think that i have come to terms with the camera yet. Data shows that it was set to f4.5 at 10mm focal distance. I know that the f stoop alters with this camera and is at its lowest of 1.8 at 25mm - but given that the focus mechanism shows a minimum of 25mm, I am perplexed as to how I got to 10mm anyway.:thinking:

Hi Alan...well done for catching that little creature, he looks very weird and wild. I really like the glass shot too, a nice reflection in the beer...and a good one in the stem too...the sunbursts sit really nicely.
Thanks Susie
Hi Alan, sorry not popped in for a while

wild, cracking little creature and nicely composed.
dreamy, shame about the highlights being blown in the bg, unless it's my screen. The colours are good in the glass. Did you take any with a tighter crop just on the glass?

Thanks for the comments Michael. The b/g top right is blown but I was happy with the comp, the starbursts, the reflections and the texture of the f/g so this was the best of the shots. Altho for the theme, the blown bit does not bother me too much.

Hi Alan, I like the beer glass. The back lighting works well to show the colours. The subtle starburst works we'll too. For a shallower DOF it might have been more pronounced with a longer focal length?

Hey Alan :)

Cheers DK
Transition in first shot was just tweaking with the contrast(?) slider in PP and the line between became more vague....
Cheers... Very effective it is too mate (y)

Onto your latest...

Wild - Is it a grasshopper?? Liking how he is straddling the timber, exposure is handled well, with all that white the insect still shows plenty of detail (on my tablet), nicely timed shot :)

Dreamy - For me the sunshine is the dreamy element, looks like a tough call between a straight glass or level table line... liking the couple of sunburst, and a real nice colour in the beer helps it stand out nicely, along with eh DoF, sitting in the sun with a beer would be perfect at the moment (y)

I'm with Allan @alsjazzera , I thought Praying Mantis. Great shot Alan, good contrast between the green of the bug and white boards,good detail and well framed (y)

Beer glass I like, the dof works for me, good colour, little sun bursts really add and reflection, as Susie mentioned, in both glass and stem are excellent. (y)

I did wonder if it might have worked placed to the right of the palm tree in the bg and having the glasses shadow in shot as well :thinking:................but would that have lost the tree reflection in the glass? :thinking::)

Last edited:
Hi Alan - two great (different) shots. Like them a lot!

The insect is fab. Nice texture and detail on the table (?) and brilliant colours and focus/DOF on the beastie. Really well done. Pops superbly.

The beer glass is a great shot too. I like the lighting/bursts a lot. How the burst on the left work - was it refracted light coming through the beer?? There wasn't any PP trickery going on, was there? ;) Really nice though. Only tiny "improvement" for me might be a touch of space between the glass and the tree behind, so the latter frames it. But otherwise bang on!

nice detail in a pretty cool looking little bug thing... pretty small too judging by the gap between the table slats.

and who wouldn't love the glass of beer in the shade of a palm tree - dreamy enough for me....

We must presume the super composition of the reflections of the tree in the beer, and also the stem of the glass are not a co-incidence, the lack of colour in the real sky, just draws attention to the glass, where all the colour and the sunset is happening.

Starbursts are the icing on a very nice cake for me.

:clap:

Last edited:
Week 24 Dreamy is a pleasing image ... makes you want to be there. There's a lot going on whilst there's absolutely nothing going on! o_O

Wild, ooohh, always wanted one of them. The greens a works well against the white and I do like the sharp edge it's standing on.

Dream, lovely light and good refracted detail in the glass.

Cheers.

Hi Alan

hope you're having a fab holiday (y)

Wild...that is a corker of a shot......you couldn't have chosen a better background if you'd tried , perfectly sharp little bug...excellent capture mister :clap::clap:

Dream...oh yes, a cool bear in the shade of palm tree's....heaven (y)

Hey Alan :)

Cheers... Very effective it is too mate (y)

Onto your latest...

Wild - Is it a grasshopper?? Liking how he is straddling the timber, exposure is handled well, with all that white the insect still shows plenty of detail (on my tablet), nicely timed shot :)

Dreamy - For me the sunshine is the dreamy element, looks like a tough call between a straight glass or level table line... liking the couple of sunburst, and a real nice colour in the beer helps it stand out nicely, along with eh DoF, sitting in the sun with a beer would be perfect at the moment (y)

Thanks DK - apparently it is a mantis - "Mantodea is an order of insects that contains over 2,400 species and about 430 genera in 15 families worldwide in temperate and tropical habitats. Most of the species are in the family Mantidae."
What would we do without Wikipaedia? :rolleyes:

Dreamy - table is actually a wall and the angle to get the reflection - which to me is the dreamy bit - meant tha the base was at an angle

I'm with Allan @alsjazzera , I thought Praying Mantis. Great shot Alan, good contrast between the green of the bug and white boards,good detail and well framed (y)

Beer glass I like, the dof works for me, good colour, little sun bursts really add and reflection, as Susie mentioned, in both glass and stem are excellent. (y)

I did wonder if it might have worked placed to the right of the palm tree in the bg and having the glasses shadow in shot as well :thinking:................but would that have lost the tree reflection in the glass? :thinking::)

Thanks Phil - yes any further to right and the reflection would be lost - I had spotted it the night before in another glass and was able to set up next evening.

Hi Alan - two great (different) shots. Like them a lot!

The insect is fab. Nice texture and detail on the table (?) and brilliant colours and focus/DOF on the beastie. Really well done. Pops superbly.

The beer glass is a great shot too. I like the lighting/bursts a lot. How the burst on the left work - was it refracted light coming through the beer?? There wasn't any PP trickery going on, was there? ;) Really nice though. Only tiny "improvement" for me might be a touch of space between the glass and the tree behind, so the latter frames it. But otherwise bang on!

Thanks Paul - no photoshoppery there - I would not know how to do it. :)

nice detail in a pretty cool looking little bug thing... pretty small too judging by the gap between the table slats.

and who wouldn't love the glass of beer in the shade of a palm tree - dreamy enough for me....

We must presume the super composition of the reflections of the tree in the beer, and also the stem of the glass are not a co-incidence, the lack of colour in the real sky, just draws attention to the glass, where all the colour and the sunset is happening.

Starbursts are the icing on a very nice cake for me.

:clap:

Thanks Graham - I was pleased to spot the mantis - only about 15mm long so had to get pretty close.
As to the beer shot, I had spotted the reflection the night before in another glass and was able to set up next evening. Even then I used three different beers to get the colour that was not washed out by the sun. Mmm - 3 bottles of beer - what to do:rolleyes:

Wild, ooohh, always wanted one of them. The greens a works well against the white and I do like the sharp edge it's standing on.

Dream, lovely light and good refracted detail in the glass.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - the mantis was tiny - sits still a while and then shoots off at incredible speed for a few inches and then sits again. I was close with an XF -1, framing in the back screen - pressed shutter - nothing - it had moved :LOL: Took a few shots to get it

Hi Alan,
Wild...not sure that I 'like' your insect but it's a cracking shot like all the detail on the bg(y)
dream...The refractions do it for especially the one in the stem(y)(y)

Thanks Judi
HI Alan

Wild - the bug what ever it is looks fantastic great detail

Dreamy - excellent lighting and reflections, colour of the beer is spot on think it may need a little crow bar to fit the theme :)

Thanks Craig - "crowbar"? Naa I tend to use a bottle opener:)

Hi Alan

hope you're having a fab holiday (y)

Wild...that is a corker of a shot......you couldn't have chosen a better background if you'd tried , perfectly sharp little bug...excellent capture mister :clap::clap:

Dream...oh yes, a cool bear in the shade of palm tree's....heaven (y)

Thanks Lynne- was a truly lovely hol and a few 52 Challenge shots to boot - with good light !!

Wild - what a fab looking beastie very fitting for the theme zero crit from me.

Dream/dreamy - A nicely exposed image and very fitting for the theme, love the star bursts on the glass nicely done.

Thanks Mandy - the wee beasty certainly has brought some nice comments.

Week 25 - Vertical

Out of the house early to get some shots of the prom and took many of the lamposts but of the lot, this one into the sun took my fancy.
Pity that the sail of the windmill is clipped but I needed that angle for the windmill to obscure the radar globe of BAE Systems in Warton. Devil and the deep blue etc.
Marmite anyone??

Vertical- DSC_7834 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Thanks DK - apparently it is a mantis - "Mantodea is an order of insects that contains over 2,400 species and about 430 genera in 15 families worldwide in temperate and tropical habitats. Most of the species are in the family Mantidae."
What would we do without Wikipaedia? :rolleyes:
Cracking looking thing it is too... and what would we do without wiki :D

Dreamy - table is actually a wall and the angle to get the reflection - which to me is the dreamy bit - meant tha the base was at an angle
Ahhhhhhh say no more, that makes sense :)

Vertical - Certainly plenty there, and I like the lighting, but for me i'm struggling with all the elements involved, lamp posts, flagpole, windmill, bandstand/shelter thingy... maybe without the flag pole the line/flow of the lights would not be interrupted so bluntly, yep that's it, the flagpole needed to go, best you go there again early one day with a chainsaw :D yeah I really like the flow of them lights, the windmill and bandstand work ok with them, well I think so any way , I need to stop looking :D

Yum - Well he is certainly digging into that, beautiful capture of his eyes, direct contact would have been nice, but a lovely photo all the same (y)

... maybe without the flag pole the line/flow of the lights would not be interrupted so bluntly, yep that's it, the flagpole needed to go, best you go there again early one day with a chainsaw :D yeah I really like the flow of them lights, the windmill and bandstand work ok with them, well I think so any way , I need to stop looking :D

Heresy !!! The good people would never let me chop this down. :bat::ROFLMAO:

Vertical 2 DSC_7834 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back