weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Hi Susie, those deck-chairs are great. What a good idea for the theme. I'd never have thought of it. Both work well for different reasons, but Sepia for me for the same reasons as mentioned before - square crop and it's got that "days of old" feel to it.

Hi Susie, I quite like the first image in sepia, great composition, the shadows, the sky, both give it a very warm sunny feel (y), certainly makes me want to sit there and I could, for hours :D I'll admit, I hadn't noticed it needed a slight cwr:thinking:.......I think looking at the iron railings takes the eye away from the fact the horizon isn't quite level so not much of a problem for me :)

Hi susie

the flower in the water drop shot .... stunning!

sepia deckchairs ... brilliant .. and I like the theme connection. ... (the colour version with it's sugary seasideness is truly excellent but there is something seriously dreamy, if sad, about the sepia).

Last edited:
Hi again Susie :)

Dream/Dreamy - Ooo I like this, the PP works well, crit the same as Andy (them Horizon Police are everywhere :angelic:)

It certainly works for the theme for me, really like the square crop, I could easily sit there for and dream away for a few hours (y)

Hi Susie, those deck-chairs are great. What a good idea for the theme. I'd never have thought of it. Both work well for different reasons, but Sepia for me for the same reasons as mentioned before - square crop and it's got that "days of old" feel to it.

Hi Susie, I quite like the first image in sepia, great composition, the shadows, the sky, both give it a very warm sunny feel (y), certainly makes me want to sit there and I could, for hours :D I'll admit, I hadn't noticed it needed a slight cwr:thinking:.......I think looking at the iron railings takes the eye away from the fact the horizon isn't quite level so not much of a problem for me :)

Hi susie

the flower in the water drop shot .... stunning!

sepia deckchairs ... brilliant .. and I like the theme connection. ... (the colour version with it's sugary seasideness is truly excellent but there is something seriously dreamy, if sad, about the sepia).

Dream - both images fit the theme, I am not going to offer any crit as your pp skills are far more advanced than mine.

Thanks so much folks for all those lovely comments :)
I really had my doubts about it ...I find that I get so far along the editing and sort of lose the ability to be objective any more.
Mandy my pp skills are very hit and miss, and very experimental, I literally just throw everything in until I end up with something that looks okay. I only use a free editing programme as I don't have PS.

A couple of 'straight shots' from me this week, apart from the tiniest sharpen they are just as taken. The first one I cant resist putting in, there are lots of verticals there, you just have to stand on your head to see them :) it was taken at Exeter Cathedral last week. I also wanted to put in something I had taken specifically for the challenge so I wandered around the garden and caught this Lupin in the early morning sunlight.

Why do Flickr keep changing everything :confused:

14490472704_fcc69239bc_b.jpg

14324536958_7bd94b3a18_b.jpg

susie that cathedral shot is a cracker, really bold composition with the mega angle, creates a fantastically striking image that not only invites you to look around, but also gives you more with each tilt of the head. I'd love to see it bigger.. :)

Great detail in the spiky bits at the front along the bottom, and I love the contrast between the dark of the lower areas and the light of the roof. :clap:

Just those two white things spoiling it for me. But they are easily disappeared! >> See here for result <<< :)

Last edited:
The one on the left wasn't too bad, just clone black over it from the area to it's right.... you could just do the same to the one on the right, but I used the "vanishing Point" filter in PS, and cloned from the one to its left..... The vanishing point filter automatically scales up in size the smaller one, according to the lines of perspective that you set. So I'd agree, slightly more complicated than I thought at first look.

Nice striking image for the house of worship Susie and love the edit Graham did too! Great angle and level of detail. I love that it was as captured as then it's a *photo* (!)

The Flower is also great, not as much as the first image, but nice DOF and complimentary colours going on there.

Both fit the theme nicely for me.

The one on the left wasn't too bad, just clone black over it from the area to it's right.... you could just do the same to the one on the right, but I used the "vanishing Point" filter in PS, and cloned from the one to its left..... The vanishing point filter automatically scales up in size the smaller one, according to the lines of perspective that you set. So I'd agree, slightly more complicated than I thought at first look.

Well I decided not to be such a wimp and to have a go at the edit, with no PS I had to try to clone it...It's not too bad, but not so nice and sharp as yours. Thank you for spurring me on :)

14326515158_d09d46bacd_b.jpg

Nice striking image for the house of worship Susie and love the edit Graham did too! Great angle and level of detail. I love that it was as captured as then it's a *photo* (!)

The Flower is also great, not as much as the first image, but nice DOF and complimentary colours going on there.

Both fit the theme nicely for me.

Thanks Simon....apparently Exeter has the longest vaulted ceiling of its type in the world, it's very impressive indeed, especially when you think of when it was built. I do like to make the effort and do one each week...hence the flower, but I do agree that the Cathedral outshines it.

Excellent shot of the cathedral roof Susie, it looks really impressive(y) its strange and I can't tell you why, but the angle works very well (y)

I did think that the two white poles? were a little distracting only to scroll down to see Graham had mentioned and got rid of them for you, then scrolled down some more to see you'd done a very impressive job of cloning them out your self :clap:

Hi Susie, have to agree cathedral shot very interesting, a very different angle than most people would have chose but i think it works really well
lots of verticals there and good detail(y) :clap:

Exeter Cathedral: :clap: ... love the detail, sharpness, textures & colour contrast. Strange angle but yes it works.

Hi Susie

Texture - #1 for me. Good colour and detail
Wild - good idea and well handled . Good colour and focus - #3 edit for me
Dream- excellent idea and works for me - not a nightmare in my eyes. Like the PP and the comp , the crop and the text. Must have taken you a long time to set the chairs out like that.:rolleyes:
Vertical - cathedral shot is super. Fits the theme, even tho not literally, and some great detail, textures and tones(y)

Excellent shot of the cathedral roof Susie, it looks really impressive(y) its strange and I can't tell you why, but the angle works very well (y)

I did think that the two white poles? were a little distracting only to scroll down to see Graham had mentioned and got rid of them for you, then scrolled down some more to see you'd done a very impressive job of cloning them out your self :clap:

Hi Susie, have to agree cathedral shot very interesting, a very different angle than most people would have chose but i think it works really well
lots of verticals there and good detail(y) :clap:

some really great images loving your 52

Exeter Cathedral: :clap: ... love the detail, sharpness, textures & colour contrast. Strange angle but yes it works.

Hi Susie

Texture - #1 for me. Good colour and detail
Wild - good idea and well handled . Good colour and focus - #3 edit for me
Dream- excellent idea and works for me - not a nightmare in my eyes. Like the PP and the comp , the crop and the text. Must have taken you a long time to set the chairs out like that.:rolleyes:
Vertical - cathedral shot is super. Fits the theme, even tho not literally, and some great detail, textures and tones(y)

Thank you very much all for taking the time to look...I do appreciate it. Yes that angle is strange isn't it but as soon as I saw it on the computer I really liked it.

Alan I did slightly rearrange the deckchairs, but I was getting some funny looks so they aren't quite perfect :)

Hi, lupins are nice. Lovely colours and detail. Pity about the slight shadow LHS.

The cathedral has plenty of interest to hold the eye but, for me, the tilt is a little top extreme

Cheers.

Hi Susie... I just love that cathedral shot. As others have said, there's so much (all good) going on there it's difficult to point out just a couple of great things about it.

The tilt definitely makes you turn your head, but I don't mind that, but do know what Andy's saying - if I had a sore neck I probably wouldn't want to look at it!!

Flower is nice but not a patch on the cathedral for me... but that's just because the latter is so good, rather than there being anything wrong with the former!

Hi, lupins are nice. Lovely colours and detail. Pity about the slight shadow LHS.

The cathedral has plenty of interest to hold the eye but, for me, the tilt is a little top extreme

Cheers.

Hi Andy ..thank you for taking the time to look...I always appreciate your comments.

Hi Susie... I just love that cathedral shot. As others have said, there's so much (all good) going on there it's difficult to point out just a couple of great things about it.

The tilt definitely makes you turn your head, but I don't mind that, but do know what Andy's saying - if I had a sore neck I probably wouldn't want to look at it!!

Flower is nice but not a patch on the cathedral for me... but that's just because the latter is so good, rather than there being anything wrong with the former!

Hi Paul...yes I think overall the cathedral was a success...I just really liked it because it was a bit 'whacky' I suppose and not what and angle that I normally take.

As soon as I saw YUM I wanted to find a caterpillar munching away, I searched the garden and greenhouse with no luck, then I tried some nettles that we allow to grow a bit wild and found this little chap......he is very tiny, less than 1mm wide by about 4mm long (although he can stretch to twice that at length).
I took this with my mobile phone with my macro lens attached, so it's very enlarged. I watched him for about 30 - 40 minutes afterwards through my lens as he plucked tiny fibres from the back of the nettle leaf and made himself a cocoon...quite fascinating :)

14367185768_9e8a775d36_o.jpg

mobile phone with my macro lens attached!! ... ahem ... must keep up.

lovely image

yum yum indeed.

That's pretty impressive from a phone camera, especially with a cheap thing stuck on the front of it. (y)

Detail looks really good in the little hairs both on his body and the nettle. Fantastic greens too. The central positioning within the square frame works well.

If you wanted to practice your new found cloning skills... The white oof dot to the left level with his head would improve things if it were disappeared :)

That's pretty impressive from a phone camera, especially with a cheap thing stuck on the front of it. (y)

Detail looks really good in the little hairs both on his body and the nettle. Fantastic greens too. The central positioning within the square frame works well.

If you wanted to practice your new found cloning skills... The white oof dot to the left level with his head would improve things if it were disappeared :)

Thanks Graham .... I was amazed with the lens for the cost, I have done a few good decent close ups with it, they are here Phone Macro Thread - Lets see how good we can all get.

I did clone out the bottom right corner as it was very bright..... in fact I am wondering if I put that one on :D

Much appreciate the comments as always :)

Last edited:
Hi Susie

Totally love your Cathedral shot.....fab angle , cracking detail & well exposed.......really great shot :clap:

Yum......flippin eck....phone & a lens ???? Great different idea that's worked really well (y)

Dream....yup<original works for me....like the sepia effect & the composition...(y)as mentioned a slight tweak cw...

Yep, great shot, colour and details good, very impressed Susie (y)

Yum: Wow Susie... that is insanely good for a mobile phone shot!! In fact, scratch that - it's good for any shot. Really nice macro with just the right DOF for me. Saturation is just right on my monitor as well - really punchy but not overcooked at all.

A tiny bit of cloning and a touch more blur/clarity reduction on the OOF areas for me and it's basically perfect! And from a mobile phone?!?! Remind me why can lug these expensive pieces of kit around again?? :clap:

Hi Susie,

Dream - I quite like the coloured version a very dreamy effect there after all your pp work

Vertical - wonderful angle fits the theme perfectly

Yum - macro lens on a phone what a great idea - lovely image detail is spot on

Thanks for taking a look and for your comments Craig....all much appreciated.

Yep, great shot, colour and details good, very impressed Susie (y)

Ta Phil :)

Yum: Wow Susie... that is insanely good for a mobile phone shot!! In fact, scratch that - it's good for any shot. Really nice macro with just the right DOF for me. Saturation is just right on my monitor as well - really punchy but not overcooked at all.

A tiny bit of cloning and a touch more blur/clarity reduction on the OOF areas for me and it's basically perfect! And from a mobile phone?!?! Remind me why can lug these expensive pieces of kit around again?? :clap:

LOL I was thinking that Paul.....It does produce some surprisingly good images. The only thing that may happen is that if you enlarged the image it may lose a lot of detail...not sure about that...but I still love my camera :)

Hi Susie, love your submission for yum, vibrant greens, super detail, good work (y)

Back