weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Hi Susie, second one for me, the leaf in the first one lacks any kind of shape and needs a little light in the middle of it.
the second one the light and colour are excellent :clap: the touches of red with the green really make it for me

I'm with Allan - I like the idea of the first but it definitely would benefit from more lighting (or even bringing up the shadows a stop) to lift the inside of that leaf.

The second is a lovely shot. I do wonder if it would bear maybe half a stop of an exposure lift, though? Lovely colours and nice POV. DOF works well too... not too narrow (which could have been the temptation here, perhaps).

the falling leaf is caught in a spiders web, right?

lovely idea, does still look like its captured in free fall though. Agree that the centre is a touch dark though.

Second is lovely too with the cris cross of the stems and the lovely backlighting through the leaves.

Think I prefer the first though.

Hi Susie

Fall#2 for me as well...lovely focus, real autumnal colors & just the right amount of light :clap:

Sparkle....Boat shot for me as well , really great capture for the theme ,not crit to add over what's been said before :clap:

Hi Susie,

Love both your shots for Fall beautiful colours but my favorite is your first one "Caught as it Falls" great light on the leaf, dof for me is spot on and love the soft oof background.

Sparkle again love both shots but the second one for me is an absolute cracker, no need to say anything else, except well done.

Hi Susie, second one for me, the leaf in the first one lacks any kind of shape and needs a little light in the middle of it.
the second one the light and colour are excellent :clap: the touches of red with the green really make it for me

I'm with Allan - I like the idea of the first but it definitely would benefit from more lighting (or even bringing up the shadows a stop) to lift the inside of that leaf.

The second is a lovely shot. I do wonder if it would bear maybe half a stop of an exposure lift, though? Lovely colours and nice POV. DOF works well too... not too narrow (which could have been the temptation here, perhaps).

Thanks guys ...I did just have a little fiddle about with the first one but i can't seem to get the centre any lighter without spoiling the rest of it :( I hopefully redeemed myself with the second one :)

the falling leaf is caught in a spiders web, right?

lovely idea, does still look like its captured in free fall though. Agree that the centre is a touch dark though.

Second is lovely too with the cris cross of the stems and the lovely backlighting through the leaves.

Think I prefer the first though.

Yes caught in a web Graham...I thought that one was probably the most appropriate for the theme...I did get this one too ...it does have more light on it so maybe I should have chosen this one. The natural light was fabulous ....I got some very pleasing shots :)

15167278841_36c1275d4c_b.jpg

Hi Susie

Fall#2 for me as well...lovely focus, real autumnal colors & just the right amount of light :clap:

Sparkle....Boat shot for me as well , really great capture for the theme ,not crit to add over what's been said before :clap:

Hi Susie,

Love both your shots for Fall beautiful colours but my favorite is your first one "Caught as it Falls" great light on the leaf, dof for me is spot on and love the soft oof background.

Sparkle again love both shots but the second one for me is an absolute cracker, no need to say anything else, except well done.

Thank you very much ladies ..... glad you liked them....much appreciate your comments :)

Hi Susie... I hope you don't mind but I just did a quick luminosity mask tweak in PS on your first leaf shot (because it's a really lovely take apart from the dark interior). It's not perfect but it's an indication of what's pretty quick & easy to do in PS if you want to selectively tweak (I used an inverted Green channel mask multiplied by itself 4 time to really pick out just the interior and then just painted a curve boost - aka dodge - over it): http://i.imgur.com/1q7KJ2b.jpg

Hi Susie... I hope you don't mind but I just did a quick luminosity mask tweak in PS on your first leaf shot (because it's a really lovely take apart from the dark interior). It's not perfect but it's an indication of what's pretty quick & easy to do in PS if you want to selectively tweak (I used an inverted Green channel mask multiplied by itself 4 time to really pick out just the interior and then just painted a curve boost - aka dodge - over it): http://i.imgur.com/1q7KJ2b.jpg

Hi Paul ...no problem with that whatsoever, and yes it has certainly brightened up that centre. Unfortunately I don't have PS and I'm totally lost on your explanation...but it looks good :) and thank you for taking the time to have a go with it.....much appreciated. Have you tried some raindrops yet susiejb 52 /2014 SPARKLE

Hi Paul ...no problem with that whatsoever, and yes it has certainly brightened up that centre. Unfortunately I don't have PS and I'm totally lost on your explanation...but it looks good :) and thank you for taking the time to have a go with it.....much appreciated. Have you tried some raindrops yet susiejb 52 /2014 SPARKLE

No probs - it's the way I improve my PS skills a bit and I enjoy mucking around (it took about 2 minutes start to finish, so not exactly a big chunk out of my day ;)).

Haven't managed any raindrops yet - although our house spiders are currently enjoying a sense of freedom now that we're focused on trying to resolve our current house slug problem :( I think I've narrowed it down to a great big hole the Sky man put in the wall of our family room... grrr!

Hi susie ...

Sparkle #1 is a gloriously cheerful sparkly scene, an Sparkle #2 excellent! another of those moody macros you do so well.

Fall #2 is a beaut ... great focus, depth, light ...

Hi Susie,
Sorry i've not dropped in lately

Promise.. This fits the theme very well, beautiful colours, love it.
sharp...Very nice I like them all but #3 draws me to it, maybe needs a little off the bottom, great:clap:
Pure... #2 for me,
Sparkle...The tall ships is the one for me, simply beautiful:clap:
Fall....#1 perhaps it is a little dark but the hint of the spiders web and lovely background get it my vote:)

Hi Susie, got to be the 2nd leaf shot caught in the web for me, back lit with the light coming through showing good detail, colour is very nice (y)

Hi Susie,
Sorry i've not dropped in lately

Promise.. This fits the theme very well, beautiful colours, love it.
sharp...Very nice I like them all but #3 draws me to it, maybe needs a little off the bottom, great:clap:
Pure... #2 for me,
Sparkle...The tall ships is the one for me, simply beautiful:clap:
Fall....#1 perhaps it is a little dark but the hint of the spiders web and lovely background get it my vote:)

Hi Judi...it's so nice to see you managing to hop in...I've missed you :) and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Hi, ready to fall for me lovely autumnal colours and nicely dof. I'd like a little more light.

Lovely red on the leaves.

Cheers.

Hi Susie, got to be the 2nd leaf shot caught in the web for me, back lit with the light coming through showing good detail, colour is very nice (y)

Thanks for dropping by Andy and Phil ...much appreciate you taking the time....and for the comments too :)

I wanted to get this week in as I had the idea for it and we're off to Devon tomorrow for a few days. I'll be in the countryside away from the sea, so it was literally a quick dash down to the beach tonight.

Communicate ....Message In A Bottle

15238276556_9c0b3da6ac_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Susie! That's a cracking idea :)

Love the sunlight on the water, the otherwise very dark image and reflections off the bottle. Just ideal. It might work well in mono as well (it almost is already) but possibly not. It's a shame you couldn't get a touch more light & colour in the sky itself, but otherwise absolutely perfect...

I have a test when viewing photograph, I work on the 'blink' principle, from Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, I tend to be able decide whether I like something or not very quickly, or in the blink of an eye.

Like this one. I like the idea that I have to search the scene, yet the bottle stands out.

Taken during the daytime would not have produced such a strong photograph.

Cheers.

quick dash down to the beach eh? ...

you old romantic you :)

Excellent idea and nice shot. Looks just a little too dark on my monitor so would like to see the shadow are lifted a tiny bit.

very nice susie, agree it is possibly a touch on the dark side, but all the highlights are nice and bright, and give plenty of information about the scene, like the hint of orangey colour in there too. not sure mono would work here.

overall, I really like it. :)

Sorry not popped in for a while, had a few issues with broadband.

Promise - a great sunset image and a cracking image for the theme.

Sharp - some lovely interesting takes on how to shoot glass, and fits the theme for me.

Pure - excellent take for the theme, no crit from me.

Sparkle - lovely take for the theme, nice to see the glimmer of light across the water, shame about the tiny little black dot in the image but I don't find it overly distracting.

Fall - some good images for the theme, a clear sign that autumn is on it's way.

Communicate - again fits the theme, composition works well and a nice idea, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Hi Susie, very nice its a touch dark at first viewing but having had a look again i think its just right, it has an excellent air of mystery about it :clap:

Hi Susie, I'm another that loves your idea here :clap:, great composition (y) ....but it is just a little too dark for me, would have liked to see just a bit more detail and colour :)

Nice one Susie! That's a cracking idea :)

Love the sunlight on the water, the otherwise very dark image and reflections off the bottle. Just ideal. It might work well in mono as well (it almost is already) but possibly not. It's a shame you couldn't get a touch more light & colour in the sky itself, but otherwise absolutely perfect...

Thanks Paul .... I did do a few mono but I didn't like them as much this one ... I didn't spend anywhere near as much time one it as I usually do ...it was a bit rushed.

I have a test when viewing photograph, I work on the 'blink' principle, from Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, I tend to be able decide whether I like something or not very quickly, or in the blink of an eye.

Like this one. I like the idea that I have to search the scene, yet the bottle stands out.

Taken during the daytime would not have produced such a strong photograph.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy .... just took a look at that book .... it looks interesting ....I think I'll read it.

Thanks Andy .... just took a look at that book .... it looks interesting ....I think I'll read it.

Please do. It can be read in a day. I found the section where they mention 'Fresh' fascinating - you'll know what I mean when you read it.

You can pick it up new on Amazon for a fiver, delivered.

Cheers.

Excellent idea and nice shot. Looks just a little too dark on my monitor so would like to see the shadow are lifted a tiny bit.

very nice susie, agree it is possibly a touch on the dark side, but all the highlights are nice and bright, and give plenty of information about the scene, like the hint of orangey colour in there too. not sure mono would work here.

overall, I really like it. :)

Hi Susie, very nice its a touch dark at first viewing but having had a look again i think its just right, it has an excellent air of mystery about it :clap:

Hi Susie, I'm another that loves your idea here :clap:, great composition (y) ....but it is just a little too dark for me, would have liked to see just a bit more detail and colour :)

Nice touch with the bottle Susie... may have even worked for sparkle... as has been said before, maybe a tad brighter...

Thanks very much folks, I really appreciate your comments ....I did try lightening it a bit PP but wasn't too happy so just left it as taken.

Sorry not popped in for a while, had a few issues with broadband.

Promise - a great sunset image and a cracking image for the theme.

Sharp - some lovely interesting takes on how to shoot glass, and fits the theme for me.

Pure - excellent take for the theme, no crit from me.

Sparkle - lovely take for the theme, nice to see the glimmer of light across the water, shame about the tiny little black dot in the image but I don't find it overly distracting.

Fall - some good images for the theme, a clear sign that autumn is on it's way.

Communicate - again fits the theme, composition works well and a nice idea, keep up the good work.

Hi Mandy ....really nice to see you again....much appreciate you taking the time to go so far back with the comments.....thank you :)

Hey Susie monster catch up from me - sorry

Promise - what a wonderful place to live , the sky is amazing think a crop along the bottom could improve it it does seem rather dark

Sharp - all three are nice excellent colours and different well done for thinking outside of the box

Pure - I really like you first image the open space works for me , load of detail in the honey :clap:

Sparkle - I missed the tall ship by one day :( think you have done extremely well to get the sparkle and some wonderful blue's in there

Fall - Ready to fall for me the lighting and colours are great

Communicate - love the idea and the darkness levels it adds a kind of mystery feel to the image

Hey Susie monster catch up from me - sorry

Promise - what a wonderful place to live , the sky is amazing think a crop along the bottom could improve it it does seem rather dark

Sharp - all three are nice excellent colours and different well done for thinking outside of the box

Pure - I really like you first image the open space works for me , load of detail in the honey :clap:

Sparkle - I missed the tall ship by one day :( think you have done extremely well to get the sparkle and some wonderful blue's in there

Fall - Ready to fall for me the lighting and colours are great

Communicate - love the idea and the darkness levels it adds a kind of mystery feel to the image

Thanks Craig for taking the time to look and for the encouraging comments. I fully understand that not everyone has the time to spend on here...it's very time consuming commenting on all the links, so it's very much appreciated :)

I went for a lovely walk in the local woods today ...soaking up the glorious autumn colours :) It was quite dark in places but every so often a shaft of sunlight pierced the trees and illuminated the leaves ...soooooo....here it is, my take on Dark

Nature .... brings light into the darkness.

dark by susiejb2, on Flickr

I do sometimes add a sunglow to some nature shots but this one is just as taken and totally natural.

dark2 by susiejb2, on Flickr

Back