The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

dont understand all the lighting info but love the shot.. fab textures on the drum, like the green of the t-shirt - fabulous composition.. not much more I can add really, a great set so far!

Perfect lighting mate, i like the way that the drum skin's texture makes it look like there are reflections of water dancing over it. Awesome (y)

Thanks, Rich. Appreciate your continued support. :)

Dean, that's another corker of an image... and again you've discombobulated me with the lighting... I mean... what the hell is gobo'd ....

Hehe! Thanks, John. A 'gobo' is short for 'goes between', meaning anything that blocks the light from the flash reaching areas you don't want it.

Aha.... I was thinking it was a technical term for something you'd done to the flash :LOL:

Thanks, Briony. :) Must drop into your 365 for a look. It's been a while.

Another amazing shot Dean.
And I disagree about it not being in the same league as mechanical. I think it's definitely comparable, and it's interesting to see how you've gone for a similar feel to last week, but managed to create a totally different atmosphere.

The vibrant green, the text on the T Shirt and the subject matter give this a much lighter feel, but you've still got the drama there.

The one thing that doesn't quite sit right with me this week is the one that Ian's already picked up.
The combination of the wide lens and the angle of the composition has created too much of a size difference between your hands.
I'm not sure how you could get around this though. I don't think that a straight on composition would have worked so well and I really love the effect that you're getting out of that lens :thinking:

There must be some sort of PP adjustment that you could do to tweak it, but it's not something that I've ever tried.

Thank you, Sarah. :)

I agree about the wierd size difference with the hands. I tried it shot face on, but it didn't have the same impact. Maybe a slightly different angle could have worked.

Here's week 10 - Chemistry.

I struggled with an idea I thought might work this week. I was going to go for the couple in love thang, but it'd been done before and I fancied a still life. I thought the chemistry and love angle was worth exploring so shot a piece especially for the bio-chemistry lovers out there. The molecular formulas here are for some of the chemicals scientist believe are implicit in the love reaction. I think breaking something so wonderful down to chemical reactions is cold and heartless though.

The idea, therefore, was to try and portray a scientist working alone and lonely on a formula for love, but starting to doubt his work.

clickable.

Me likey!

I like the way you've got texture in that paper, and I like the 'cold' feel to the image. If I were to do this I'd have liked some chemistry going on in flasks and test tubes in the background but I've no idea where I'd get the props from!

week 10 only another 42 going so fast well done on another great picture very different from your other images but still a well thought out picture and bang on the theme (y)

I'm just starting my 52 next week but I had that exact thought when I was told this week was chemisty.

Great work, and it helps me as I now feel a bit more comfortable about starting my 52, (well 42 and then 10 catch up!)

that works for me m8, well done

Cheers, mate. :)

Me likey!

I like the way you've got texture in that paper, and I like the 'cold' feel to the image. If I were to do this I'd have liked some chemistry going on in flasks and test tubes in the background but I've no idea where I'd get the props from!

Thanks dude. Texture comes from having the light at a really low angle. My other idea was to involve test tubes etc., but Charley doesn't have the chemistry set I thought he did!

week 10 only another 42 going so fast well done on another great picture very different from your other images but still a well thought out picture and bang on the theme (y)

Thank you. It did turn out better than I expected.

I'm just starting my 52 next week but I had that exact thought when I was told this week was chemisty.

Great work, and it helps me as I now feel a bit more comfortable about starting my 52, (well 42 and then 10 catch up!)

Good luck in catching up! It's been a real learning opportunity so far and I'm really glad I took it on. Hope you get plenty from it too.

I wish I'd started it too to be honest, I umd and ahhh'd about it but decided I didn't have the time to devote to it. Having seen how much you've got from doing it though, I may have to reconsider. You're an inspiration Dean!

Very nice Dean.

The lighting looks like it's from a window on a cold winters day (y)

Texture is brilliant and spot on theme.

Andy

What a brilliant interpretation of the Chemistry theme - I haven't been able to think beyond test tubes and stuff so far.

I like the lighting, the composition the texture in the paper but most of all I like the idea and thinking behind it all.
And the hint at further pages of fruitless work simply adds more sadness to the story.

Must admit, I had thought of doing something at one point.

PP work and clever use of DoF has made the image

Brilliant chemistry shot - composition spot on with great lighting.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your great comments. Makes it all worthwhile. :D

Another great shot for play just showing off you lighting skills (y)

I knew Chemistry would get peoples thinking caps on this week, looks like you put a lot of thought into the meaning of your shot this week. Nicely staged :cool:.

I wish I'd started it too to be honest, I umd and ahhh'd about it but decided I didn't have the time to devote to it. Having seen how much you've got from doing it though, I may have to reconsider. You're an inspiration Dean!

Sorry to hijack, but I'm only just starting the 52 properly next week. It's never too late to start!

Dean,

Like it a lot....... nice idea to get the formulas down - those hexagons are way too straight though - maybe that's why I only got a "B" in Chem "A" level....... (and my benzene rings used to look like washing machines on full speed!)

Did you get out for 9? I have had 54 over last 3 days and dont want to see a golf ball for a few days!

Thanks guys. :)

Lynton, no never made it out. Hopefully I'll find time next week.

Great idea Dean, I love it. Everything from the lighting to the composition to the processing works a treat. An idea I wish I had had :clap:

Week 11
okay, so I took this on Saturday, but I may not get a chance to shoot anything so it'll do for now. Shot with the Canon 10-22mm, which is fast becming my favourite lens. My nephew, Charley, hates having his photo taken so I grabbed this from the hip. He kinda noticed just as I pointed the camera at him.
clickable.

That made me smile. It's a great shot!

He's got that look of horror just drifting across his face as he realises he's been snapped.

Back