weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

I really like the chimney although the sky is a bit bland.

I think you've done well with the daisies, the composition is great.

Hi, obviously the daisy is an inspired choice, i like the composition of the three of them in the frame
the second one no shoehorn required just not the most exciting pic, though it looks an lovely place to have a walk

Fresh air for me! I like your daisy shot too but the landscape photo is more original. I love the colours you have captured and brought out.

Hi Elaine,
The chimneys get my vote for twisted, well spotted (y)
The only critique is maybe taking a wider view of them to give a sense of place but other than that, well done.

Daisy's get my vote for fresh, i particularly like how you have filled the frame with them.

Hi, two two interesting posts for Fresh. I like #3 because there are 2 of them. Pity you could not isolate them, I refers to what's behind them.

Good show.

Cheers.

Lovely bright white daisies ... I guess the black BG helps. ;)

lovely bright white on the daisy petals, just thinking the one hiding behind the top one needed to be pulled out the way.

and the path through the woods looks lovely, great dappled sunshine coming through the leafs of the trees too.

Thanks to everyone who has had a look and commented. I do read them all and take in all the feedback and suggestions, even if I don't always have time to reply individually!

So, Week 19 already!

I really love the shape of this statue that somebody bought for me a while ago, so I knew I wanted to do something with it, but it was harder than it looked! After trying various different locations and positions, this is what I ended up with. I know the background could do with being a bit brighter and more uniform, but I didn't want to pump it up any further and blow the reflections. The idea is supposed to be reflecting the shape of the statue with the metal table support and its reflection, but I'm not sure whether that comes across very well.

14156353871_6b29609638_b.jpg

Hi, the left and right compliment each other, as does the table.

I'd like a much simpler photograph, by getting in closer to the statue.

Cheers.

Hi, the left and right compliment each other, as does the table.

I'd like a much simpler photograph, by getting in closer to the statue.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. This was one of my first efforts that I rejected, because I just thought it looked slightly odd on its own without any context

epi0hz.jpg

I even tried inverting the colours, but that looked even odder :eek:

npkqj6.jpg

Hi Elaine, the path through the woods is a lovely shot, composition, sunlight, colours are great (y)....... a far cry from the weather outside today
shakehead.gif

Shape I like, interesting, as Andy said, the glass shelf compliments it very well (y) ........:thinking: probably not possible because of the size of the shelf, but its a shame you couldn't have got all the reflection in the glass :)

Thanks Phil. Yes, I did try and get the whole reflection in, but the only way to do it was to get right over the table and that foreshortened the shape of the statue :banghead:

Hi Elaine
Like the first shape shot. The table support reflects the curve in the statue. Would have been nice to see reflection in glass but then we cant always get what we want :rolleyes:
Like the second shot too but would have maybe twisted statue a little to right? And yes the inverted colours one does look weird but sometimes weird is good?o_O

Hi, interesting sculpture, i think it does need to be a little simpler, don't think the tables adding anything, but have no idea how that would be achieved.

Hi Elaine :)

Sorry... looks like your thread is one of the ones I keep missing :(

Some excellent shots, I love the fresh shot, lovely spring greens and a track leading into the trees, makes you want to explore !!!

Fresh as a daisy - That's very nice, 3 main daisy's work really well, excellent detail and again well lit :)

Shape - Much prefer your first edit, I don't think an object like that needs context, the shape alone works perfectly well for me :)

Of the other I missed, I like the crop of the chimney and the Fireworks, have subscribed to your thread so I hope not to miss any more :)

Thanks for all the replies. The differing opinions on the table v no table really do show that photography can be very subjective and that you can't please all the people all the time :D

Anyway, it's been another wet and miserable day here, so having nothing better to do (or nothing better that I really wanted to do!) I've done an alternative shot for Shape

Shape Number Two-can (sorry couldn't resist!) :coat:

14146639846_f2d960e104_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks d00d. No idea where he originated from, because he was a wedding present from my late brother-in-law (along with a note saying "Toucan live as cheaply as one") and he's lived in various plant pots for many years now.

well done one this one keeping detail in the shadow side of the toucan even with teh strong backlighting. makes for a really striking shot.

good choice to keep the greens in colour too, they work well as a splash of muted colour with the black and the white.

Thanks Graham. I started off by desaturating the whole thing because I felt that the multi-colours of the toucan distracted from its basic shape, but then I decided to put a bit of green back into the leaves and thought it looked better. It's nice to know that someone agrees with me :)

Last edited:
Two-can...:tumbleweed:

;)

Potential and I like the clean BG, but the toucan needs to be better light or in complete shadow. As it is it looks under exposed.

Cheers.

Toucan for me. I prefer it as a subject. I like the diagonal you have created in the first submission though. Agreed about the toucan being a little under-exposed-looking.

Thanks for the comments Andy and Simon. I deliberately chose to backlight it to emphasise the shape of the silhouette, but found that using purely silhouette, even without the leaves, just made it look like an unidentifiable black blob. I added a little muted light in pp to bring out some of the detail of the carving to show what it actually was without detracting from the basic shape - hence the slightly under-exposed look.

Hi Elaine...I love the figurine in the first shot a really lovely shape there, I can see why you put the table in, but I do like it as stand alone image, maybe against pure white !!

The toucan looks cute...smashing pure white background....I have been trying to do a few of those, and it's not easy ...well done to you :)

Week 20 Number(s). Three from me this week.

1 The local Rotary club held their annual duck race on the stream in the park this morning. Spotted this little guy sitting on the bonnet of a police van, helping to keep the peace :)

999 - Fire, Ambulance or Duck?

14211388882_eac5f651d8_b.jpg

2 I liked the number plate on this Harley

Number Plate

14213810345_9eecc205af_b.jpg

3 This last one is our front door and yes, I know the numbers aren't properly aligned with the knocker, but they were like that when we moved in :rolleyes:

Unlucky for some

14233970093_702839f680_b.jpg

Last edited:
The ducks a quacker Elaine.........:tumbleweed:................good fun image :D (y)

No shortage of inspiration here this week Elaine, I'm another fan of the duck.

Well exposed too, in particular ref the white bonnet, also catching a small reflection under the duck. :)

Hahaaaa at Two-can :LOL:

Nice shot, nothing wrong with that at all, good to have a tenuous link, good colours, liking the black against the bright plant :)

Numbers - some great ideas again, I love the humour and set up of the 999 shot, but my choice goes with the number plate, really like the crop and again the angle, works really well (y)

Hi, has to be the duck, bit of a crop of the top grill thing but thats being picky, made me smile (y)

Back