10.5 hours in the hide - 29TH JUNE ANOTHER BUZZARD ADDED

Glad you are enjoying this thread.

Did an early again this morning yep Buzz appeared but to far away and conditions not too good ISO up to 3200 so not posting shots, although it was being attacked by crows, poor thing.

Anyway, we have a family of squirrels that came and visited this morning all 5 came and were playing around took many shots and would like to introduce you to them.

Decided to call them all B's after Brian (Fernface) decided to call his one Benson yesterday :bang:

This is Bertie Big Balls (Dad) for obvious reasons :D

IMG_0894bertiebigballs.jpg

Big Bertha (mum) who looks like she is about to pop any day

IMG_0897Bertha.jpg

She does enjoy a Rich Tea biscuit in the mornings (y)

IMG_0899richtea.jpg

Calling this one Benson

IMG_0881Benson.jpg

"Just hanging around" (Terrible photo I know but wanted you to see the versatility of these vermin)

IMG_0867Hangingaround.jpg

"Mmmmmmmmmm just love Peanut Butter" :LOL:

IMG_0862MmmmmmPeanutbutter.jpg

2 others also but they look just the same :shrug:

Hope you enjoy and keep popping back to see developments.

I can't wait to visit, you have so many visitors (Of the wildlife variety) I love your kite shot too! :)

Could you or Brian take some photos of the hide, the view from the hide and give me a compass reading from your viewing "holes" please?

Will do Brian is up there tonight so will text him and ask him to do that for you.

Can I ask why :shrug:

Briony said:
Will do Brian is up there tonight so will text him and ask him to do that for you.

Can I ask why :shrug:

I'd guess so they can build their own version? You seem to be having a lot of success with yours, we all want to try it out!

Could you or Brian take some photos of the hide, the view from the hide and give me a compass reading from your viewing "holes" please?

Hides face West, south West, pictures from the hides can be seen further up i.e the long distance buzzard shots looks out over a grass field , ours, and view of the hides, they are stuck in a corner under a tree next to woods.

Only place for them, know it is not perfect, difficult with the light but busy hides.(y)

I have loads of other places where I can out hides but only myself can use them as on our rented land and don't want to abuse it.

I am going to move my bivvy up to the field here, then that will free up my portable to enable me to take it into the woods. Can't wait for that (y)

View from hide to the right, (No crit please as done nought to it just uploaded it and taken in bad light)

IMG_0485.jpg

Straight on is just grass

Last edited:
:D She? flew onto a post to avoid a crow that would just not leave her alone.
ISO was off the scale and i have some cloning to do:D

039.jpg

055.jpg

They were really about this morning, this one landed approx 80yds away in good light, so was really pleased.

115-1.jpg

105a.jpg

115a.jpg

Finally as part of its ritual, sure whatever it had was already dead, it went into an amazing jumping up in the air routine, of course i was focused on its flaming eye!!

079-1.jpg

All we have to do now is get it down 20ft away feeding, in good light then we can move on to another challenge!!!:D:D

Sorry Nicki, I meant your woodland hide where the nuthatches are visiting. Or is it the same hide?

Sorry Nicki, I meant your woodland hide where the nuthatches are visiting. Or is it the same hide?

Here you go Ade, think Nicki is feeding kites this aft:D, the Nutties come in from the woods behind the hides, mine on the left, Nickis portaloo on the right:D

124.jpg

The first set of Nutties was in the woodland but recent ones are where the 2and lot of hides are in my field just up behind me here at home.

Brian, to dam hot in the field even for me to play with them out there so had a little play on diving shots in the yard.:D

Out to play with Buzz later on with both my shooters in hand :D

The first set of Nutties was in the woodland but recent ones are where the 2and lot of hides are in my field just up behind me here at home.

Brian, to dam hot in the field even for me to play with them out there so had a little play on diving shots in the yard.:D

Out to play with Buzz later on with both my shooters in hand :D

Good luck Nicki, its 93 rotten degrees in here!!!!!!!!! ps thos Kites will get to fat to fly:D

Ta, thinking about it now.............don`t hold your breath, it isn`t generally a speedy process.....:D

Wow, what a morning, got into the hide about 5 a.m thought I would do a couple of hours before heading of to work for 8.30.

About 5.47a.m. barely light saw this going accross the field purposely like we had done a couple of mornings ago.

Edited and unedited versions

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1068edit1.jpg

Thought it was on its way home when 10 minutes later looked out the back of my "portable hide" not portaloo as it is so rudely called :shrug: :nono: to see it looking straight at me. Could not take a photo as I have camo mesh there and would not have come out.

Anyway, watched it play around in the woods burrowing around for little grubs etc when 25 minutes later it appeared in front of me with what I can only think was a chicken :eek: (luckily mine were shut up at this time) but on closer inspection we have decided it is a rabbit (he has his Easter Bunny) :D and headed off back towards the way it came in the corner of the field. I only hope it has little ones(y) and may one day bring them out hunting and to see us.

Was so lucky, but these were shot in very very poor light and have tried to make them look like a fox but wanted to share with you.

Edited and unedited versions

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1077edit.jpg

Just after this Mildred arrived for her daily hit of Peanut butter Didn't take any photos of him) then Benson came and started eating an old sausage roll which Fernface had left over, so his breakfast was enjoyed too. (y)

IMG_1081editsquirrel.jpg

All in all and eventful couple of hours in the hide but enjoyable.

These photos were taken in the very low light and high ISO so bad quality :thumbsdown:

You lucky, lucky b.......r.:D:D Well caught Nicki, difficult to assess but he looks a fair size. Thats not Mildred, she is a GSW!!!:D:D, could be its Ruby:D

You lucky, lucky b.......r.:D:D Well caught Nicki, difficult to assess but he looks a fair size. Thats not Mildred, she is a GSW!!!:D:D, could be its Ruby:D

I know it's not Mildred, it is Benson, did not take any photos of Mildred :LOL:

I think that due to the hide facing S/S/W, you are shooting into the sun which is not too good most of the time. Ideally, you need the sun behind you facing the subject, that would make things a lot easier for you Nicki. Shooting into the sun makes exposure tricky, maybe that is why your struggling a little?

This is one of my hides.

Birdhide.jpg

It faces damned near due north. The sun rises to the right of it, swings right round the back of it and sets to the left. If looking at the rear of the hide. So I get early morning light one one side, late sun on the right side and the rest of the day is slap bang behind the hide shining on the subject.

View from hide.

Birdhide2.jpg

I arranged the perches so that the majority of subjects are at eye level, which is generally preferable.The food is hidden around the perches and is in the feeders. Keeping food out of the picture is usually better.

From another angle, this one is under construction and faces due east. Which will make for pants photos in the morning due to shooting into the sun. But it isn`t a general purpose hide, it is for a evening hunter.

Hide1.jpg

Hide2.jpg

PS.....if birds are taking the whole peanuts, it would be best if you crushed them up for them..........(y)

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas Nicki.

Thanks, we have no option really with the hides here as wanted to situate them under the tree as the main reason for this one was the buzzard on the ground and this was the only place for it to be where it is inconspicous and has been there all winter.

Did not want feeders hanging all over the place as spoils the view out onto the field, as Kites,, buzzards etc were the main factor, and as the Barn owl was the other side of the fields this morning things are looking up.(y)

I know shooting conditions are not ideal here but the other hides are scattered all over 700 acres so making the all important decision where to go is the main factor :D

Thanks for the advice and nice hide for the Barnie :

Having had a walk around the 7 acres of grassland I have here outside the back door we have found another place for the hides, which is facing in the opp direction so should be great for the light, so we are going to erect a 2nd Hide here also and leave the first one where it is as this is the part of the field that the Buzzard usually comes in the morning.

The 2nd Kites hides can then pick up the Kites throughout the day and also the Barn owl as the far side of the field is where is does it's coursing.

Better light all day for that one. (y)

Spoilt and very lucky really :D

Last edited:
:clap: Pleased to announce that we have the Barn Owl :clap: visiting.

It has been 2 days every morning around th :clap:5.30 mark he/she courses the other side of our field. Took a snap shot (Bad !) of it when it decided to have a rest on the electric fence post.

26thApril007edit.jpg

So tomorrow morning I am going to situate myself in the corner of the field under a huge elder bush and lie in wait. Sooooooooooo excited, we know we have them in the barn on the other farm and that the female is/was sitting, so may see them more and more now.:clap:

Also it visited again not to close :bang: it will come closer I am sure jsut a matter of time,

26thApril001edit.jpg

Lucky you, still only list to get, good luck tomorrow :D

Well another early morning start and decided to go and see if I can get the Barn Owl which I had seen the last 3 mornings over the other side of the field. Parked myself under a tree and waited, waited and waited - No show:shake: then started to rain so called it a morning (after an hour by this time it was 6.30) but this little fella was shouting around in the field behind me so took a shot, (yep in bad light again, but played around with the setting )

MuntjacandBarnOwl019edit.jpg

Then this evening my other half went of spraying and I got a text saying the Barn owl was out, very quickly chucked my stuff in the car went down to the other farm and tried to catch this elusive little person. I know they are nesting in the barn as they live there all year round, very quietly walked round the corner and was quite shocked (so was he I think :LOL:) to see me so took this without having time to chnge settings, then off he flew, waited around and got a few more shots but again light was fading, so now I know wht time he comes out I can get there in good time and just sit and wait for him, I am sure the little ones will be hatching soon as not seen both out for a while.

MuntjacandBarnOwl024edit2-1.jpg

This is my first Barn owl and now want to perfect this one. (y)

Can't decide wether to have a morning in the hide tomorrow or go Barn Owl hunting, see what the weather holds. :shrug:

Well done Nicki:clap: Deserve it after this mornings disappointment.:)

Well done Nicki, that barn owl is gorgeous, can't wait to see some more images !!

Soooooooo excited, new proper hide went into position today, a converted shed, will take some photos when I can, portaloo can now be used for what it is designed for (NO Brian - not a loo !!!!:nono:) in fact it looks the bees knees, nicely done out with facilities to make drinks, put your feet up and relax. Windows front and back camoflauged and painted a noce shade of green.(y)

Birds don't seem to mind it and it hardly shows up - so Mr. Buzzard when you are ready :D

Have put another hide in the home field further along the field and the light is better also, and this afternoon when moving logs into place I saw a Buzzard taking a yroung rabbit from behind these hides so things are really looking up.

Fernface (Brian) has decided that he must go fishing this next week, :shrug: so hoping the Buzzard will give me a nice Birthday Pressie on Thursday, and come and visit me (y)

Last edited:
Briony said:
Soooooooo excited, new proper hide went into position today, a converted shed, will take some photos when I can, portaloo can now be used for what it is designed for (NO Brian - not a loo !!!!:nono:) in fact it looks the bees knees, nicely done out with facilities to make drinks, put your feet up and relax. Windows front and back camoflauged and painted a noce shade of green.(y)

Birds don't seem to mind it and it hardly shows up - so Mr. Buzzard when you are ready :D

Sounds like you need to set a price and start selling tickets! I'd pay to use it if the buzzard's a regular visitor!

Sounds like you need to set a price and start selling tickets! I'd pay to use it if the buzzard's a regular visitor!

I know (y) let us work on it for a while but there is plenty else to look at while waiting (y)

Excellent news re the new hide.
I suppose your other half will say that the hide is your birthday pressie !!!!

Saw a red kite yesterday whilst out walking the dog on Esher common, first one I've seen there this year, fingers crossed that they might spread down here properly.

Some photos of the new hide would be good when you get a chance Nicki.
Hope you are well.

Budgie

Amid great excitement and anticipation the green tardis hove into view, sporting its smart woodland green paint job, expertly applied by Briony, am i jealous, yes i flaming am:D It will be handy when the electric and water supply is sorted;)

Already had to complain about the noise of Briony clattering around in her high heels:D, but once she has her pink carpet down things should improve.
So with out further ado, may i present the Tardis:

177.jpg

This is the back view by the way.

Brilliant !

Better not leave that window open otherwise Nicki's buzzard will be setting itself up in there for the breeding season !!!!!

Just a Blackbird :shrug: I have never seen so many of them we nust have had aboout 20+ around the hide each day (well whenever I am there) so just thought I would post it.

MuntjacandBarnOwl063.jpg

Just a Blackbird :shrug: I have never seen so many of them we nust have had aboout 20+ around the hide each day (well whenever I am there) so just thought I would post it.

MuntjacandBarnOwl063.jpg

Absolutely spot on exposure and focus Nicky. Believe it or not, it's very difficult to retain definition in the feathers of a male blackbird, so great work (y)

Amid great excitement and anticipation the green tardis hove into view, sporting its smart woodland green paint job, expertly applied by Briony, am i jealous, yes i flaming am:D It will be handy when the electric and water supply is sorted;)

Already had to complain about the noise of Briony clattering around in her high heels:D, but once she has her pink carpet down things should improve.
So with out further ado, may i present the Tardis:

177.jpg

This is the back view by the way.

I hope there's room for a table to have cream teas at :D

I'm still trying to work out where the jacuzzi is situated.

Back