10.5 hours in the hide - 29TH JUNE ANOTHER BUZZARD ADDED

Come on Brian, tell all what happened today unless you a busy scoffing an Apple crumble (y) :D

Well 6 hrs in hide today shots taken - zero!! No kites around at all, absolutely none. Had a buzzard on the ground , nice distance away but approx 8ft from pheasant/bait. Then had to decide whether to wait for it to move in or try for shot, decided on the latter, it spotted lens movement and was off before i could get it into viewfinder!!

Think chance is greatly improved when there no kites around, as they buzz the buzzards just like the crows do.

Not scoffing apple crumble, save till tomorrow when i have ice cream to go in it:D

That hare shot is a cracker Brian, though I cant help but think the WB has gone to far into the blue on the stubble and its rump

Thanks Ian, agree does look a bit blue:)

:D
Another session in the hide today, nice bit of sun for a change:D, i got a BUZZARD!!!, and a first for me a Greater Spotted Woodpecker:D

Like probably eveyone else i would liked to have had the Buzzard a tad closer, but plenty of time:D

Glad you are getting it tame for when I am able to get back out there. :D

Keep up the good work, must be all that feeding I do in between when I take the otehr dog out for a walk. (y)

All is not forgotten, hope to get out again over Christmas, not been too well, sent home from work, spent the last 2 days asleep in bed, there are loads of hungry kites and Buzzards about, still feeding them, and hope to be able to acquaint myself with my camera again very soon.

Have a great Christmas and stay healthy.(y)

Hope your not feeling to bad Nicki, got cold myself, struggling through Night Shifts, so feel worse, hope to see some great shots of the Kites etc. soon, have a great Christmas, Stu.

Hi,
I have just read this whole thread and really enjoyed hearing about your adventures and seeing the results of your hard (patient) work. Hope you are back to full health and enjoying the pursuit of your pictures again! (y)(y)(y)

Will be back soon been feeding them through the winter so hopefully there will be some piccys in the spring, but if not Buzzards then perhaps some kites will suffice.

Weather is getting better, hide field has been ploughed, bivvies need a spring clean then off we go again (y)

First 5 hours in the hide this year yesterday, not much about to be honest. Went back down again to day, primarily to photograph the little birds(and to find my phone which i left there yesterday):D. Nothing much showed, expect this fella who jumped on what was left of the pheasant from yesterday

040.jpg

This guy really wanted his picture taken:)

012.jpg

Reports of three buzzards chomping on the pheasant earlier this morning, BEFORE i flaming got there:D

Nice ones, shame about the Bokeh :LOL: but then hey that's farming, we call it a ploughed field.:D

5 buzzards not 3 so just may be go and have a look tomorrow :D

Is that pheasant wanting to come into the hide? or is he wanting to use the mobile (y)

Kite just looks a bit tad soft to my eyes, oh well, plenty of time to practice this year.(y)

I know about the flaming bokeh, flaming farmers, changes all the time:D:D

Just imagine you scuttling down there tomorrow morning, may i refer you to post no 244 in case you have forgotten what they look like on the ground:D

Yes think the pheasant would have come in the hide if it had been open

I know about the flaming bokeh, flaming farmers, changes all the time:D:D

Just imagine you scuttling down there tomorrow morning, may i refer you to post no 244 in case you have forgotten what they look like on the ground:D

Yes think the pheasant would have come in the hide if it had been open

Don't need reminding will get one of my own :D

Good to see this still going, hope you get the buzzard soon :D

Good to see this still going, hope you get the buzzard soon :D

Just a case of time and patience, reckon i will get it eventually, as long as i have enough years left!!!, not so sure about Nicki- she has gone "nuts" so to speak!!!

Last edited:
Should come up north- got my buzzard from a big red 4x4!

Had a 7 hour session in the hide yesterday. Hares aplenty around, showing up well against the cultivated ground

085.jpg

Few buzzard calls heard but none seen, Kites sitting in tree above me were driving me nuts at time, this one came down to feed on the rabbit that was SUPPOSED to be for the Buzzard.

159a.jpg

This one seemed intent on looking into the hide to see if anyone was in:)

161.jpg

Well with Brian ensconsed in his hide I thought I had better go down and check to see if my hide was intactr after the winter, (can't rely on the neighbours around here :D) and also had a call from the other half to say there were Roe deer out in the hide field, so thought I would go and investigate.

Well I can report that after a long hard winter all that was eaten in my hide over the winter was a kitchen roll, no new inhabitants, quite dry considering only a bit of mildew around the place, all that is needed is a quick spring clean with Cif and some J cloths and will be like new again (y) bought my stuff out of it home to wash and hey presto hide ready for another season.:D

Very Pleased:D

2011 here we come.

Watch this space folks.(y)

Update Geoff has just come in and seen 2 Yellowhammers near the hide(y)

Hope they are there tomorrow!!(y)

Forgot to say also found a Lesser spotted and a Green wood pecker locations today all on my doorstep, just got to get them next. (y)

Not to mention the red legged partridge (yet to photograph);)

:thinking: wonder if he got the partridge today :LOL:

Update!!!! another hide going up here in the house field to try and entice these nesting buzzards here by the house down. (y)

Well another six hours today and what did i get:

another flaming Kite:D

047.jpg

and the only bird on the feeder arrangement

022-1.jpg

The shot i didnt get was a kite picking up a complete pheasant, carrying it about a yard before realising it was just too heavy!!

A kite in the rain. (y)

These are getting a bit boring now :D have to start shooing them off for the Buzzards to come in.

These must be the best fed Kites in the area though (y) be nice to get soem down on the gras(y)s fields here better "bokeh" :LOL:

Another long session today, light was harsh, but i managed two firsts today.
I had never seen a fox in the wild, so was pretty taken aback when this fella came running in front of me, so much so that i...

051.jpg

cut its flaming tail off!!, then used wrong focus mode and this was the result;

048.jpg

just hope i get another chance sometime:thinking:

The (second) first was this pretty bird

042.jpg

pretty sure it is a Yellowhammer, but i have been known to be wrong:D

:LOL:The yellow feet which you thought were feet were not feet it was the fat on the back end of whatever it had nicked :shrug: looks suspiciously like a duck :thinking:

Yep Yellowhammer (y) you are right, this hide is throwing up numerous things which we thought we would not entice and is becoming very interesting and exciting.

Hopefully there will be a greater chance of getting a better shot as this must have little ones somewhere, as they don't usually hunt in the day time so will get back down there in the hope of seeing the family (y)

Kites today (Thursday) lovely blue skies forecast - yes (y)

Wow, sky and weather is perfect promise not too many Kites in flight photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hides No 2 erected now in the Home Field so lets hope for some nice piccys on green bokeh (grass) :D

Shame about those fox shots, like the boy scout motto Always Be Prepared, looks like it was the "don't focus just shoot" mode :LOL:

Thats the annonying thing Ken, i had been prepared (well at least for the first 5hrs or so, then i started to develop the "thousand yard stare":D Being a towny from Fareham, i was in a state of shock at seeing it. Do better next time, if there is one:D

Thats the annonying thing Ken, i had been prepared (well at least for the first 5hrs or so, then i started to develop the "thousand yard stare":D Being a towny from Fareham, i was in a state of shock at seeing it. Do better next time, if there is one:D

There should be, (y) one was spotted today out the back of where I shoot the Nutties :D so obviously a vixen with cubs somewhere (y)

No hares, no fox yesterday but had several visits by a woodpecker onto my feeder arrangement. He is so close, no more than 7ft, so thought i would try a cropped head and shoulders, hopefully not losing too much detail and it going soft. Not sure it worked or not (flaming eyes):D

139a.jpg

Day off today but missed being there:D

Back