100 Strangers [Round 3] **Complete** 5th April 2018..

Stranger #81 - Lotti

Lotti was walking along towards the shopping centre when I asked her to be part of my project. I thought she had a friendly face and appeared very approachable, which indeed she was.

Lott lives just outside Norwich and works nearby but was in town for the day today.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"Make the most of every opportunity when you are young and before you settle down. I don't have any regrets but I know some of my friends wish they'd travelled more before starting their families. After I graduated from university, I spent 6 years in Thailand doing various jobs. I worked as a teacher amongst other jobs. I got my Masters whilst abroad. I have been back about a year and a half but I feel the urge to get away again. Possibly to Myanmar, I would love to work with an aid agency."

Thank you Lotti and good luck with your travels!

281 - Lotti
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Stranger #82 - Rosie

I noticed Rosie, particularly her sense of style whilst she was having a quick break from a nearby clothing store.

Rosie is from Ipswich but lives and works in Norwich since graduating university.

"In 10 years time, I would like to be living and working in London. My ambition is to be working for one of the large fashion magazines, Vogue would be my ideal job."

Thank you Rosie and good luck!

282 - Rosie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Stranger #83 - Claudia

I couldn't help but notice the wonderfully colourful Claudia as she walked past me near St Pancras Station.

Originally from the Venice region of Italy, Claudia told me she has been living, working and studying in London for 3 years.

Happily Claudia agreed to be a part of my project but did say;

"I'm normally very shy."

"What makes me happy is a difficult question, very philosophical. I would say a state of serenity would be my goal rather than happiness as it could change regularly."

"In 10 years time, I would like to still be living and working in London. Working with a big fashion house would be my ambition. London is so much better than Italy for fashion. Italy is so much more commercial. The college where I am studying encourage creativity. I know designing a coat for instance isn't really artistic but we are encouraged to explore our ideas beyond the actual creation of the coat. We are encouraged to be independent, more free thinking and not restricted in any way."

Thank you Claudia and good luck!

283 - Claudia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Stranger #84 - Sally

Sally didn't wish me to use her real name for some reason, a wish that I of course honoured. A shame really as her real name is quite lovely, unusual and distinctive.

Living and working in London, sally was heading home to her parents house in Essex for some home comforts.

"I'm a bit fragile [hungover], I've been partying last night and I am heading home for some good food and a bit of a rest!"

I detected a slight American accent and asked Sally about it.

"It is from my days at school, I attended International School but I've always lived in the UK."

"In 10 years time? I hope to be enjoying life, my friends and family as I do now, so I am happy to continue!"

Thank you Sally.

284 - Sally
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Charli - [Stranger #85]

Charli is originally from Essex but now lives in North Norfolk. Its a small world in fact, Charli spent a little while living in the neighbouring village to where I live.

"My life has changed significantly over the past year, I lost my Dad a year ago and my son went to live and work in Corfu for 6 months. I went from being a carer for my father, and mother one moment to having no-one depending on me. I haven't lived here long, I had been searching for somewhere to live near the coast when a friend said that their place was available in October, I thought it ideal and a sign it was meant to be." ..

What advice you would give to your younger self?
"Be kind to yourself, you are stronger than you know. Trust in your intuition and know that you are worthy. You don't have to be full of self-hatred. Just be you!"

"In the future, I see myself running a successful coaching/ retreat business helping women all over the world. Living near a beach, walking my dog and doing yoga daily. I see myself happy, free and in peace."

I believe in love, kindness, authenticity and spirituality. Life is bloody hard but always focus on the things you have to be grateful for, as life is so very short and precious. It can change considerably in just one moment. Kiss everyone and always tell people you love them, oh, and do not be afraid to tell the truth. It will set you free."

Thanks Charli for your time and your thoughts...

285 - Charli
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I love the different comments that you get from your strangers Iain, you must really make them feel relaxed, another great set of pics sinse my last visit (y)

Thanks Dean, they are all lovely people, some are more talkative than others.
It's the engagement/interaction side of the project I like the most, followed a close second by the photography of course!

You're a good photographer and smooth talker Iain.
I like your images.

:D Thanks Peter (y)
The talking bit comes easy, I've got a lot to say for myself haha!
The photography is the easy bit really, almost point and shoot with a little help from a reflector or off camera flash.

It feels like such a long time since I've been out shooting for my 100 strangers project so today I remedied that by visiting Cambridge.

I made one portrait which is posted below. Comments and critique welcome as always.

Geismante [Stranger #86]

Geismante was sitting in Cambridge watching the world go by when her style and colourful hair caught my attention. Geismante is from Lithuania but has been living in Cambridge with her boyfriend and son for 1 month.

"I have been living in Denmark for 5 years previously but moved to Cambridge a month ago. My boyfriend took a very good job opportunity. Cambridge is a lovely city, not too big like London but big enough. I like the weather in the UK, I like the people, its just perfect for me.

I hope to find work soon, I think a job opportunity will come along soon. I'm a psychologist and I would love to have my own practice one day.

My son immediately sprang to mind when I thought about what makes me happy. He is 7 years old and is my everything.

Britain leaving the European Union doesn't worry me at all. It'll take a while to work itself out, let's just wait and see what the future brings. I'm a risk taker, I always have been so will deal with whatever the future brings."

Thank you Geismante and good luck!

286 - Geismante
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice one Iain, liking the curved wall top on this one, perfect tones in the brickwork background with Geismante's attire and complexion too :)

Thanks Dean, Geismante was a lovely stranger, she completely 'got' the project.
Might have had something to do with being a psychologist haha, that certainly kept me on my toes when it came to hearing her story haha!

Thanks Dean, Geismante was a lovely stranger, she completely 'got' the project.
Might have had something to do with being a psychologist haha, that certainly kept me on my toes when it came to hearing her story haha!
I bet that sure helps when they understand your approaching them :)

Jade - [Stranger #87]

A visit to Felixstowe starting along the sea front was my intention. On setting out towards some beach huts, I couldn't help but notice Jade's brilliant red beret.

Jade was visiting Felixstowe with family. Living in nearby Hadleigh, Jade is a photography student in Ipswich.

On initially talking to Jade, I noticed a distinct Scottish accent.

"I moved from Ayrshire in Scotland when I was 2 months old." Jade told me. In conversation with Jade's father who was with her, he too was Scottish, so I guessed that's where Jade's accent came from.

"I don't know what I want to do with my photography, definitely not weddings. I shot a wedding a while ago and realised it's not for me. I shall just wait and see what happens, it's early days in my photography career. I think photography is something which you can pick up in later years after having family. Family is what makes me happy!"

Thanks Jade!

287 - Jade
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

JJ - [Stranger #88]

It was JJ's style which I noticed as she was walking along Colchester Christmas market arm in arm with her Mum. JJ was also clutching a hot water bottle, which was equally stylish against the cold.

JJ is from Colchester and was visiting town today for a walk through the market stalls.

"I've just changed jobs, I used to work as a carer for elderly people but I've moved on to a new job just recently. Making other people happy is what makes me happy."

"I suppose my advice to my younger self would be to try harder at school but then it's not that I've needed it. I'm very happy in life and don't really have any regrets..."

Thanks JJ.

288 - JJ
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Following what has been over a month since I last visited my 100 strangers project, I managed to get back out today and shooting.
Results are posted below, comments and critique welcome as always!

Sarah - [Stranger #89]

Sarah's fantastic sense of style caught my attention whilst she was walking along accompanied by her Mum when they were having a day out visiting London.

I never found out too much about Sarah but she gave possibly the best reply ever in 3 years of shooting portraits for my 100 Strangers project.

I asked Sarah what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Don't go out with Kevin!"

I asked Sarah if Kevin was a wrong 'un to which she replied:

"Yes, I shouldn't be so trusting."

Thank you Sarah for being a part of my project.

289 - Sarah
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Michelle - [Stranger #90]

It was Michelle's colourful hat which caught my attention as she walked along with her shopping.

Michelle is originally from Limerick, Ireland but has been living and working in London for 3 years.

I asked Michelle a few open questions to find out a little about her. I am aware that I do put people on the spot when I ask these questions and its not always easy to answer them.

Michelle said:
"I've read and seen these projects before and everyone seems to have these really deep answers. In 10 years time, I would like to be back home living and working but for the time being, I shall stay here. My boyfriend gets paid more money than me and his job isn't really transferrable. So for the time being we shall stay in London!"

Thanks Michelle for being a part of my project and good luck for your future.

290 - Michelle
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Today saw my return to my 100 strangers project. It feels like its been ages since I've been out shooting. I visited the Barbican today as it is mostly under cover as the weather was so bad today. The Barbican didn't disappoint, I made two portraits which will follow soon.

Jenny - [Stranger #91]

Jenny lives in The Barbican and was on her way food shopping when she happily agreed to be a part of my 100 strangers project.

I asked what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Don't take no for an answer!
I wasn't a quick learner, not that I had learning difficulties, more that I took my time but e people would tell me you can't do it. I had to believe in myself."

Jenny and I had a conversation around asking difficult questions. I said that in my strangers project, I tend not to ask 'negative' questions but Jenny said, "I work in casting, so I ask the difficult questions to see the reactions of the actors."

Where would you like to be in 10 years time?

"I just want to be happy.......and not dead!" Jenny said with a laugh!

Thank you Jenny!

291 - Jenny
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Andrea - [Stranger #92]

Andrea is from San Francisco and is visiting the UK and mainland Europe at the moment.

"I study architecture and that's what brought me to The Barbican today. I love the brutalist concrete style of the place!"

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"Hang in there, you will escape!"

Thank you Andrea.

292 - Andrea
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I have just been looking through this thread for the first time, : a lot of very good portraits, and I like the answers they give to the question about advice to a younger self. The lighting in most of the images works very well

Someone else mentioned that the images are mostly of women: I was wondering if this is because they are less intimidating to approach?

A great project, but personally, especially in view of the question you ask them, I feel it would be better with an even mix of the sexes (and perhaps even some of people of more obscure genders) to get a good cross section of modern society

I have just been looking through this thread for the first time, : a lot of very good portraits, and I like the answers they give to the question about advice to a younger self. The lighting in most of the images works very well

Someone else mentioned that the images are mostly of women: I was wondering if this is because they are less intimidating to approach?

A great project, but personally, especially in view of the question you ask them, I feel it would be better with an even mix of the sexes (and perhaps even some of people of more obscure genders) to get a good cross section of modern society

Thanks Jon.
I take your point about mostly female portraits. This isn't a conscious decision on my part. Having shot the project for over 3 years, I don't feel it is any more or less intimidating shooting men/women.
I may be projecting a little of my feelings when considering asking to make a man's portrait. I literally hate having my photograph taken and maybe assume most men are like that. I often wait around at a background I wish to use and will ask the first 'interesting' person that comes along if I can make their portrait. More often, that person is female.
I agree it would be 'better' to have an even mix of sexes within the project.
Your suggestion of more obscure genders intrigues me, perhaps you could expand on what you are suggesting?
I don't wish to target a specific gender, race, or ethnicity of person. As I said, I look out for interesting subjects, just something about a person which catches my eye whether it be colourful clothing, distinctive style etc.
Thanks again for looking commenting, much appreciated.

Loving the continuation of the project. It's inspired me to pursue my project on personal tatoos

How do you record the comments in your conversation?

Loving the continuation of the project. It's inspired me to pursue my project on personal tatoos

How do you record the comments in your conversation?

Thanks Byker!
I'm old school where the recording of information is concerned on my project, I use a notebook and pen to write down the comments immediately after the interaction.
The notebooks have become artefacts in themselves (well for me at least they have)
I have them as a written record of the 292 stranger portraits I have made so far.

Thanks. I've made notes on my phone notepad afterwards, was wondering if you use a voice recorder and if that put the people off.
It's not too bad is it once you've got past the initial 'fear' of speaking to people :D

I need to get a few more together first so I've something to show as a set.

Cheers

Thanks. I've made notes on my phone notepad afterwards, was wondering if you use a voice recorder and if that put the people off.
It's not too bad is it once you've got past the initial 'fear' of speaking to people :D

I need to get a few more together first so I've something to show as a set.

Cheers

I just felt a notebook the most user friendly.
Quite a few times I've asked the stranger to write their name down if its difficult spelling or pronunciation.
Yes, its not too bad after initial reservations. People are generally very friendly once they get over the initial surprise of being asked.

I look forward to your project Byker!

Pisuthpak - [Stranger #93]

Pisuthpak is from Thailand but is currently studying English in the UK.

"I have come to England to improve my English and look for inspiration to grow my design business!"

"I don't know where I will be in 10 years time, I love to travel so have no idea where in the world I will be."

Thank you Pisuthpak

Pisuthpak asked me after our encounter if I could understand her. I thought her English was perfect and told her so. I am so grateful to many people whilst shooting the 100 strangers project for their grasp of the English language. I would be at a complete loss otherwise as many of the strangers I have made portraits of originate from non English speaking countries. If it weren't for their wonderful language skills, to my shame I'd be a bit stuck!

A little about Pisuthpak's portrait. This was made in front of a light wall just inside the entrance to the Barbican's theatre complex. I feel it gives off a wonderful natural light which really lifts the portrait. The Barbican has become one of my most favourite places for photography.

293 - Pisuthpak
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

After over months lay off from my 100 strangers project, I got back on it today hoping that I may bring it closer to conclusion. With the prospect of two weeks off work, I visited Brighton today to kickstart the project. Brighton, as ever didn't disappoint, I managed to make 4 portraits bringing the total to 97/100. The portraits are posted below, comments and critique welcome as always.

Hope - [Stranger #94]

I think its quite obvious what drew my attention to Hope....her lovely colourful hair.

Hope is from Norwich but was visiting her sister in Brighton when I noticed her walking along on such a lovely spring day.

Advice to your younger self?

"It's OK that no-one gets it, they will one day!"

Thanks Hope.

294 - Hope
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Alexandra - [Stranger #295]

It was Alexandra's sense of style which I noticed and after a little explanation about my project, she was happy to be part of it.

Alexandra told me she is an artist, videographer and photographer (so no pressure then!) living and working in Brighton.

"There's not a lot of art in Brighton, it's quite parochial, very folksy. I am actually on my way to work at the moment, in a nearby studio." Alexandra told me.

I asked her advice to her younger self?

"Don't be scared!"

Thank you Alexandra.

295 - Alexandra
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Julie - [Stranger #296]

Julie is visiting the UK from Switzerland with her partner Gabriel. I had actually asked Julie earlier if I could make her portrait for my project, around the same area as Alexandra's stranger #295 portrait but she initially declined. I later saw Julie and Gabriel walking along a pedestrianised area in the city centre and cheekily asked Julie if she was sure she didn't wish to have her portrait made. Julie asked me what it was all about which I was able to explain further.

"Lets do it!" was Julie's reply this time.

We moved just under a shaded area of colonnades where I used some off camera flash just to lift the light a little.

I asked Julie what advice she would give her younger self? With a little interpretation by Gabriel, Julie replied:

"Be happy!"

Thank you Julie and Gabriel.

296 - Julie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Louis - [Stranger #297]

I was on my way back to the train station when I noticed Louis having his photograph taken by his friend. I liked Louis's style and asked if I could make his portrait too?

Louis is a Brighton resident and was slightly bemused by my request. He asked:

"You're not a freelance photographer are you?"

Having assured Louis it was purely for personal use in my project, we moved to the same background as Hope's stranger #294 portrait.

I asked Louis how to spell his name, he told me, "My name is really Steve but I go by the title of Louis Grey Magus!"

What advice would he give to his younger self?

"I've had such a dysfunctional life, it would just be to not keep making the same mistakes!"

Thank you Louis.

297 - Louis
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

With two weeks off work, I have managed to find the time to complete this, my 3rd round of 100 Strangers. It has only taken 13 months! To be honest, it was never a race to the finish, I knew it would take as long as it takes. Results are posted below, comments and critique welcome as always.

Antonio - [Stranger #98]

I noticed Antonio or in particular his yellow hat walking along Brick Lane with Francesca. I caught up with them just as they were about to board Antonio's Vespa scooter which was a star colour to his hat. Happily Antonio agreed to be part of my project, helping even further with his portrait by removing his trench coat to reveal his leather jacket.

Antonio is from Italy but lives and works in London as a Director Photographer and Studio Manager! I found this out when he handed me his business card with a smile. So, no pressure then...

Advice to younger self?

"Keep going, keep doing what makes you happy!"

Thank you Antonio and Francesca who helped with the reflector.

298 - Antonio
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Sarah - [Stranger #99]

Sarah's obvious sense of style caught my attention as she walked past me near to Spitalfields Market. Sarah was walking with some purpose when I eventually caught up with her as she was on her way to work.

As she was in a rush, I never really found out much more about Sarah but I did ask what made her happy?

"Cats and my friends!"

Thank you Sarah.

299 - Sarah
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Damara - [Stranger #100]

Damara is a fashion student, photographer, model and sometimes actress who was on her way to a casting for a part in a commercial for Mercedes when I stopped her. Damara like Sarah previously was in a rush but still agreed to be part of my project. It always surprises me when people are so giving of their time to allow me to make their portrait.

We walked a short distance to make Damara's portrait and she was very patient whilst I set up my off camera flash.

As Damara was in such a rush (as I suspect she was already running late for her casting) I didn't really find out too much about her but she was very pleased to be #100 in this round of my project.

On hearing this she gave an excited "Cool...! Is this going to be in an exhibition?"

Thanks for your time Damara, I hope the casting was successful.

300 - Damara
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Back