101 Ways to Photogragh Pencils - Complete!

Thought we'd lost you....loving that abstract #60(y)

Thanks Lynne.
No I'm still here.
Very frustrated aboutt he time that has passed since the last set, no plans this weekend so hopefully I'll get a few more done.

Did you switch the freezer on...:D

I did, but sadly I found my pencil in a bowl of water next to the sink before I went away last week, apparently the wife needed more space in the freezer and my frozen pencil was the first to go! I've explained things to her now and and reinstated her allowance so hopefully she's got the message, just need to refreeze another pencil!

I spoke to you by pm about freezing them as well great minds (y)

Nice to see more of your project your doing well :clap:

Thanks Dave.
Yes I recall your PM, Fire is on the list too!

Just came back to check on this as I think its fantastic. I wish I had the dedication to try something like this and the creativity to carry it through. Well done looking forward to the next photos

Thanks for looking in everyone, and I'm sorry I've not updated the thread in a long time.
Time is passing by and god knows where to!

We've got two French students staying with us now, so setting everything up of an evening is difficult for the next two weeks.

Following a trip to the tip last weekend, I noticed someone had dispossed of a fixh tank.
I'd be looking at second hand ones for a while now for my photography, so I was pleased to find one for free.
Needless to say that some of the next few pencil shots will involve it!

I promise I'll upload more soon, the ideas are there, it's just the time!

Not only is this an inspiring thread for different pictures with a supposedly simple object, as I was looking though it I thought what a great place to send anyone to learn about different lighting angles - wonder how well the pencils would burn?

Kind words, thank you Christine

Brilliant thread, enjoyed every single shot. Never thought of pencils as things of beauty, but they certainly are in the right hands.

Neil, afterwards im hoping you do a 101 ways to photograph felt tips?

brilliant work, especially love the water based pics

Great idea and execution Neil/Mentalblock....just when I think there can not be another way to photograph pencils you post a picture proving otherwise.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the comments.

So, after finding a fish tank at the tip the other week (which appears to have a small leak, but nothing that some tissue won't mop up!), it was time to try some splash photography with the Pencils (and a Spiderman - see my flickr!).

I confess I got carried away with these.
With each shot being unique, I could have finished the 101 this afternoon.
However, recalling previous comments, I've resisted and only moved the number on where I changed something, be it the way I dropped the pencils or dragged them and so on.

Hope you like, there are more on my flickr and more for the thread later today once I'v processed them - need to cut the grass while it's dryish!

Pencil 064 by Mental.Block, on Flickr

Pencil 065 by Mental.Block, on Flickr

Pencil 066 v1 by Mental.Block, on Flickr

Pencil 067 by Mental.Block, on Flickr

Pencil 068 by Mental.Block, on Flickr

64 was actually my set up shot for getting the focus!
I liked it so I kept it! It's a pencil suspended so the tip was just under the surface of the water.
The under side of the surface is like a mirror, so I was shooting up at the under side of the surface for some pictures.

#68 is simply two pencils dropped in to the tank at the same time in a cross shape, then I rotated the picture by 180 degrees.

As for the background, on most it's the reflection on the underside of the water surface.
In some shots the same white sheet, which wraps from the bottom of the tank (and reflects on the surface) to the back face forming a white background left a slight line where the background met the reflection in the shot, a simple bit of PS took the edge off and helped blend it in.

Neil - they are an excellent set of pics - might be worth trying with some food dye in the water as well?

Keep it going - only #29 more to go - you're on the back straight now (y)

Ah, it seems so easy the way you describe it!

They're all very clever, well done!

But oh no, now all I want to do us play with my old fish tank and camera :bonk::nuts:

Do it Marsha, it's very addictive.

Neil - they are an excellent set of pics - might be worth trying with some food dye in the water as well?

Keep it going - only #29 more to go - you're on the back straight now (y)

I tried the food colouring before packing away, but couldn't find my syringe!
Plus I felt it would be similar to the existing shots but just different coloured water, which wouldn't warant a new shot.

I'll be giving it a go though.
I saw a good tutorial with food colouring mixed in to glycerine which gave great effects in the water.

Your wish is my command Michael

Pencil 073 - v2 by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

I always pictured the image with both eyes and have to admit that I toyed with the crop of the one eye. But over all I think I prefer the two eyes, it's more natural and not so in your face with the pencil, although I realise it is 101 ways to photograph a pencil!

Thanks for looking.

Back