101 Ways to Photogragh Pencils - Complete!

Nice Neil good to see you had a go at my inspiration with #22, I used glycerine to get the drop bigger, great to see fab idea #20 thats brill :clap:

Last edited:
Nice Neil good to see you had a go at my inspiration with #22, I used glycerine to get the drop bigger, great to see fab idea #20 thats brill :clap:

I was going to hold off usin it, but as I had the water out I thought why not.
The zip is still in the bank for a difficult day!

And thanks for the glycerine tip.

Fantastic photos! I look forward to seeing the rest!

May I ask what lens you are using?

Hi, Bud, of the latest set it's #25 for me. The shadows really add depth and dimension to the photograph. I'd like to see the red pencil perpendicular...think it would really boost the symmetry.

Reminds me of this place..linky.

Cheers.

Think you'll be hard pushed to beat #22. Awesome pic

That would be the one that's copying someone else's pencil shot :shake:
I bet I only beet it with the other suggestion Just Dave gave me!

I have to say I'm loving the ideas you've had since my last visit into this thread (y) some of them are just brilliant (y)

Matt

Thanks Matt

Hi, Bud, of the latest set it's #25 for me. The shadows really add depth and dimension to the photograph. I'd like to see the red pencil perpendicular...think it would really boost the symmetry.

Reminds me of this place..linky.

Cheers.

Been there, and yes, it has a similar look.
I could do the full 101 with just variations of shadows, but there's no fun in that!

Thanks for looking everyone.

One more for this evening...............

:clap: Brilliant idea Neil.

I tried something similar with apples last year, but ran out of steam and inspiration when life started to get too busy. Good luck in making it to 101.

Some cracking shots so far. No.13 is the stand out one for me at this point though - superb lighting (y)

:clap: Brilliant idea Neil.

I tried something similar with apples last year, but ran out of steam and inspiration when life started to get too busy. Good luck in making it to 101.

Some cracking shots so far. No.13 is the stand out one for me at this point though - superb lighting (y)

Thanks Sarah.

I remember seeing your apples last year.
The ideas are not coming to me as easy now, although I still have a few ideas yet to shoot.

LOL, looks like a tepee. I'd like to see the top of the smoke and there appears to be a wisp of white smoke in front of the top of the yellow pencil.

Not easy is it :D

Plenty more ideas though....(y)

Good work Neil

I really like your ideas and the simplicity of the shots (note I didn't say easy! :D)

Looking forward to seeing it through to 101.

Enjoying this project of yours immensely Neil and from the latest efforts I have selected the random effect of #27 as my favourite (y)

LOL, looks like a tepee. I'd like to see the top of the smoke and there appears to be a wisp of white smoke in front of the top of the yellow pencil.

Not easy is it :D

Plenty more ideas though....(y)

This was my fav of the smoke shots, but ye, I wish I'd got the smoke in the top!

Not seen the last few, brilliant, well explored just gotta hand it to you Neil :clap::clap::clap:

More with the water over the weekend!

Good work Neil

I really like your ideas and the simplicity of the shots (note I didn't say easy! :D)

Looking forward to seeing it through to 101.

Thanks Adrian
I hope I get there for you!

Enjoying this project of yours immensely Neil and from the latest efforts I have selected the random effect of #27 as my favourite (y)

Thanks Mal.
Things are slowing a little bit, but not out yet!

#25 is great. I like how you have got the shadows aswell as the pencils.
The shadows certainly give it a little something

Hiya Neil, a great set since my last visit. Good to see it is going well. Really like number 28, that is an excellent idea.

Thanks Michael

Ace this, i wish i had this much imagination lol keep up the good work :)

I hope I have enough, got a long way to go yet!

Thanks Mick, everyone has noted that about that shot.
I didn't see it at first.
I may have to look at more albums if I get stuck!

Those last set are stunning really inspiring!

36 is amazing, i was bored on thursday and the weather was rubbish and thought id have a go but really could do anything like what you have achieved! :)

HI matey....good to see you're still going.......

#32......love the shape you've created , must have taken a while :)

#32 is a cracker, really nice flowing lines. I rotated my laptop clockwise 90 degrees and angled it down so I was looking across the pencils...liked it. **I won't mention the lower left :D**

#36 is also another great idea. I really like the depth, colours and exposure of this one. Being very picky the top layer is slightly OOF, unless that's what you were after.

Keep it up and I can see sssooo many more ideas here.

Cheers.

neil - a good set - I like #32, 35 and 36 especially

Top marks for creativity from me for #32:)

It's been a couple of weeks since my last shots, mainly due to a few days hols and work!
Hopefully I'll get a few more done tomorrow, but until then hopefully these will please.

Pencil 038 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 039 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 040 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 041 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 042 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 043 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Thanks for looking and feel free to C&C

Neil

Great idea. Really nice collection.

A couple things. #6 doesn't have a tip that is in focus, just the edge of the first pencil. Also as I look through them, I keep being drawn to the quality of the pencils rather than the composition. Some tips are quite shabby. I might have used a better quality pencil with less imperfections if I was to invest this much time in the project.

Great idea. Really nice collection.

A couple things. #6 doesn't have a tip that is in focus, just the edge of the first pencil. Also as I look through them, I keep being drawn to the quality of the pencils rather than the composition. Some tips are quite shabby. I might have used a better quality pencil with less imperfections if I was to invest this much time in the project.

One of the things I like about the project is tat it's being done with cheap props, 45p per pack of pencils!

I want to focus on the different compositions, lighting etc., but I take your point.
If any really catch my eye when I finish, I may invest in a quality set of pencils and do a reshoot.

Thanks for looking, and the comments.

excellent shots- may even try something similar as it'l no doubt help with composition practise etc (my weakness)

I eventually got around to trying our the shot I saw in a magazine that gave me some inspiration for this - submersing the pencils in sparkling water!

Pencil 044 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 045 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 046 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 047 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 048 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Pencil 049 by HaplessClicker (aka MentalBlock), on Flickr

Back