2010 Photo 52 - Week 04

I like this one! I have a few ideas already, which makes up for the fact I still haven't done a 'chopped' picture ... it's going to be a busy week!

Excellent. Gives me a good excuse to get into London on my day off this week and I need a waterproof jacket fron Blacks for my trip to the Lakes next week. I trust next week's photo will be equally accomodating with 'Landscape' ;).

I doubt it Neil, it'll probably be grunge... I'm stuffed...

Saw the title, 3 seconds later I have an idea for my shot, and it means I get to test out some kit I bought a while ago on a whim :D

'See, I told you I needed it.....'

Seeing as I'm in York everyday for work and get off the park and ride at the Shambles I was also thinking of this as one of my ideas too, it could get busy down there!! :)

thats the first idea that jumped into my head too :)

Well got a page of A4 full off ideas, now time to cross of the totally out of the box, You must be on drugs, and you really are stupid ideas and see what i come up with, can only get better then week 3's chopped.

Well that list didnt get much smaller, but i have my first photo, second one i'll get tomorrow, then i make sure they are better than the chopped effort then i might post them.

this is my first post on this 52 thing and look what we have to do thi time..have to get thinking cap on ...have a couple of ideas..

Absolutley no bloody idea what I'm going to do with this one!

What sort of lenses will everyone be taking on their quest, a long telephoto to hide out of the way or a fast prime and large set of cojones?
I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to have a go at for this... One requires the Sigma 10-20mm, and one requires at least the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, perhaps even the 300mm f/4 AF-S.

Hmmmmm this could be interesting . . . or completely disastrous!

"Street" in the normal sense of the word is one style of photography that doesn't appeal to me at all. Either taking the shots or viewing them.
Sooooo do I give it a try and see if I change my mind? Or do I try to something a bit more out of the box?

Either way it'll have to wait until the weekend if I want to do this in daylight . . . and leaving it to the last minute and rushing was what got me into trouble with chopped :bonk:

This may be a stupid question but can you join in a 52 at anytime? Say at week 4 :D

I have never done anything like this before and would love to give it a shot

Sure Keith, it's only for fun, so you set your own rules really.

But people have posted suggested guidelines to stick to :D

Cor, that was hard!

I've just been out on the streets of city centre Manchester to see what I could get. I took some where I asked people if they'd mind and some stealth ones.

Shaking like a blimmin' leaf - completely out of my comfort zone with this one! :puke:

I'll see what I've managed to capture when I get home. I'm sure they're all OOF 'cos I was shooting at stupidly low shutter speeds even at ISO800 in the crappy light. IS to the rescue, hopefully! :shrug:

I took some where I asked people if they'd mind

What sort of reactions did you get from people? Were most of them cool about it? suspicious of your intentions? downright aggressive?

It was obviously only a small sample of people, but my experience suggests that most people don't want to play. There was a really pretty girl sitting on the library steps whom I approached and asked, but she said no. I was gutted to get a refusal when I was trying to look all artistic and windswept too! :)

To be honest, just try it. It's quite exhilarating actually. I'm REALLY curious to see if it gets easier over time now I've dipped my toe in the water. :)

Five minutes after I was knocked back by the girl, a Romanian chap wandered over and struck up a conversation about the proposed development plans for the area. Once I worked up the cojones to ask if he'd mind being photographed it turned out he was more than happy to oblige. He even encouraged his friend to join him on the steps too.

On the way back I got a copper to participate too. Just goes to show - swings and roundabouts. :)

Interesting experience this week, certainly a little self conscious at the start but in the end I just pointed the camera at things and let fly. I ended up asking a guy on a market stall if he minded me photographing his stall, to which he replied no. Didn't get much there though.

The rest I just pointed the camera and took, ideally waiting until they were doing something. This was generally at a range of about 10-15 yards, far enough away not to be annoying but close enough to get some detail. It certainly gets you out of your comfort zone.

I has a rubbish shot for this, but don't know when I'll get to post it. Probably be Tuesday at the earliest.

It is quite daunting to go and point you camera at complete strangers. I had mixed reactions... The old gentlemen I photographed and used for my shot, was really curious why I would want to take photos at night! He did not believe it possible, especially hand held... :) I tried a few other people walking around, but nothing worked. One girl was upset... and asked me to delete the photo I took of her. I obliged... she gave me a talking to about asking permission first. But that would lose the spontaneity I was try to capture.

It was a hard for me... but at the same time, I enjoyed it. Something I hope to do a lot more of in the future. :clap:

I finally got it posted late last night ... now... week 5...

Back