weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

Those work a treat Kell :)

Fur
My choice is #3, I like the composition, with the pavement on the diagonal.

Clean
Adding the clarity has given it a nice gritty/grungy feeling.

Glass
It's the second shot for me.

Glass.. =#2 for me as its more abstract.

Snappers Choice.. points for bravery and and interesting shots. I'm still deciding whether I want to try this or not.

Week 36 Unnatural.

I have to say, I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers.

But, I rediscovered my old Mini-DV camera the other day and started to play back some of the tapes. There are two of my friends' weddings plus loads of footage of my daughter from when she was a baby.

However, the way to get the footage off there is via firewire - which is a discontinued tech. There are various methods to get this: From various external peripheries to sending off to a third party for conversion. But what seemed to be the most effective way was to install a firewire card and ports.

So I took a deep breath and went for it. Never installed anything in a PC before (other than software).

Still need some time to convert stuff - the card is working, but the PC is not seeing the camera - so nothing to report - other than actually taking the case off my PC and installing something felt very

UNNATURAL

Fairly standard shot (I pushed the saturation a bit and cropped a bit tighter).

TP52WK36 - Unnatural 1 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Then I tried one with some free-lensing and really pushed the saturation to give it a more unnatural feeling. This one (to me) more accurately conveys that dizzying feeling I got from actually doing this, so this is my submission for this week.

TP52WK36 - Unnatural 2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Desktops aren't really that tricky to work on - laptops are another kettle of fish (once you get past ram / drives).
I do like the free lens shot, it really focuses you on the card. I think the saturation takes it up a notch too.

Last edited:
Week 37: Natural

Went to Pub In The Park last night (my wife got a couple of free tickets as she's been volunteering at a vaccination centre).

Wouldn't have chosen to go as it was Ronan Keating headlining, but I have to say he was very good live and a complete NATURAL performer.

5D3_5982 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_5967 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_5973 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I went with B&W conversions as the lighting made everyone very Orange. I tried colour correcting them, with some success, but most were like:

242152067_10158057003276021_7584523848716670540_n.jpg

Natural
That's a great set of shots, a wouldn't like to choose just one. I do think the black & whites look better than the colour.

Good stuff - and you chose the right one!

Your choice of shot would have been mine too.
It would be interesting to see the colour version. I get what you say about the lighting turning everyone orange, but then that would actually have been the colour they were 9at least judging by the one you posted where the drummer seems natural as he's not in the orange light).

Snapper's Choice - works well. Very brave and I agree doing it outdoors you'd have to be extremely brave!

Unnatural. I really like the free lens version - great colours and I agree that the free lensing adds to the feeling of discombobulation. (love that word :) )

Natural - He is a natural performer. I believe he did a karaoke session at the Isle of Wight Festival this last weekend too. The third shot in the sequence is my favourite, although the first is a close second.

Week 38 - Autumn.

Was down in Devon for my mother-in-law's 80th, but still despite the fact that summer is over and AUTUMN is here, Croyde beach was still very busy. And yes, we all went in. Without wetsuits

Anyone who watched Grand Designs, you can just see the house that never got finished with the crane on the headland. I believe work has started again...

5D3_6354 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Great to see the lifeguards still doing their stuff.

5D3_6385 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But this was my favourite. The colours from that lens are just great...

Last of the Summer fruits by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

The colours are lovely as you say. If I'd spotted it, I'd probably have been tempted to move those errant bits of grass out of the way and maybe shift the composition off centre, but those blackberries turning look great.

Wow Croyde Beach was busy! The colours are lovely in your blackberry shot. Annoying when you notice things afterwards. Happens to me all the time.

Week 39 - Doors.

There are lots of very beautiful pics of very impressive doors, and I have nothing to compete. So I thought I'd chuck in something with a bit of humour instead.

Spotted a 'Beach toy Library' at Croyde beach. i.e. you can take the toys onto the beach for the day, then return them later.

But my wife decided to do this...

TP52:2021 - Week 39. Doors by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a great idea! Perfect for the theme :)

Your choice of shot would have been mine too.
It would be interesting to see the colour version. I get what you say about the lighting turning everyone orange, but then that would actually have been the colour they were 9at least judging by the one you posted where the drummer seems natural as he's not in the orange light).

The chosen shot in B&W and Colour:

I actually quite like the colour version. Yes there is orange, but then that's likely to be just one of a range of colour spots that are being used (obviously you would know if it's wrong or not).
One thing I did notice is that white balance was set to auto, so you are likely to have different WB from shot to shot.
Whilst I wouldn't know exactly what the right WB would be for the gig, I would have been liable to set the WB manually to a specific kelvin.
Even if it's wrong, you ought to then be able to apply a single WB change across all the images in post.

Thanks for taking the time to respond again.

WRT to white balance, I almost always leave it on auto as I am very, very forgetful. Case in point - the balckberry shot above was taken on an old 35-350 Canon lens. That lens is very soft below f/8. i know that, and yet the first 50 or so shots I took that day were at f5.6 and unusable. I did that, because I'd had a nifty-fifty on the night before and forgot to change the settings.

Not making an excuse, but TBH, it's not something I even considered. Although trying to think back to my photography courses it would have helped.

I don't mind the colour version - in some ways it helps isolate the singer as I'm pretty sure that in every shot they lighting was different on him compared to the 'bit players' in the background. I'm guessing that was deliberate on their part.

Last edited:
For your Door shot, well captured and your wife make the shot.

For the Roland Keating Shot I prefer the colour as that is what concerts are all about, as well as the Music of course

Pete

Week 40 - architecture.

There's nothing note-worthy near me at home.

But there's a few things nearby at work (Camden) that are interesting.

This are archive shots unfortunately, as I'm barely in the office these days.

But, if I was, these are the places I would have gone...

our work building - the old Carerras Cigarette Factory. Notable as it was lined up as being a Nazi HQ if they'd successfully invaded the UK.

Two different panos from the same photos:

IMG_7938-Pano by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_7973-Pano2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

The Grand Union Canal Walk housing:

IMG_7868 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Grand Union Canal Walk Housing, Camden by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
#1 & #3 for me Kell, both interesting looking buildings.

Interesting housing - certainly different.
I like the first shot the best

Certainly interesting architecture. Bendy pano No1 works best for me :)

From an aesthetic perspective, the Cigarette Factory architecture is far better, but then Art Deco :) :) :)
But then again, the flats on the canal are certainly a statement (not sure what of ;) ) .

I think #1 for me, except for the cars.

Wonderful pictures you have taken there. I especially like the summer fruits picture...its made me hungry!

Week 41 - Red.

Had a few ideas for this week. Being in High Wycombe, and loving the birds anyway, my first thought was to try and get a Red Kite. But the light was pretty dull and meant a much slower shutter speed than you might otherwise use and most of the ones in flight were too blurred. Luckily I got a couple while this one was taking a rest.

5D3_6483 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_6484 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Then I had a thought of a post box. I wanted to do it at night as I really wanted some red light trails in the background. But the angle was against me. And I forgot to switch the ISO off from auto - so this is at 12,800.

5D3_6510 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Finally, thought about the red lights trails you get from a long-exposure of cars. There's a motorway bridge not too far from us which is perfect for this. I had hoped this first one with the moon in it would come out well, but a 30s exposure meant even that created a starburst. I quite liked it and ummed and ahhed about using this, but in the end chose the one below it.

5D3_6492 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

So this is my submission:

Red Light Trails by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Works really well that - the lane changer makes it :)

Quite like the kite taking off always difficult to catch birds in flight.

Back