weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

I can never decide it it's better to look through the thread and see what other people have done or not.

If you look, and see something similar to what you were going to do, should you do it anyway? Or use it as impetus to do something else?

There are more heavy plant images but they are all different too... I would always post my "take" on the theme and now worry if there were similarities.

Plant
They all for the theme, I rather like the idea of the rowers planting their paddles.

I think I may have gone with #2, as it's a take on the theme that no one else has had.
it's a good shot, with them on the diagonal and I especially like how the oars on the RHS of the shot are each in a slightly different phase of the stroke.

Week 29 - dominating.

Chinley, Peak District where these two viaducts hold a dominating view over the village.

TP52: Week 29 - Dominating 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52: Week 29 - Dominating 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

A-road over Chinley and Chapel on Le Frith, dominating the skyline.

TP52: Week 29 - Dominating 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

This bindweed is a completely dominating species. We have it in our garden too and I hate it.

TP52: Week 29 - Dominating 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice mono Viaducts! Are they still in use?

I agree, nice mono image of the viaducts

Dominating
I really like the second viaduct shot. It's quite abstracty.

I'm with your choice too. Those viaducts are definitely imposing. I wonder what the view is like from the cottage windows!

Week 30 - Snappers Choice.

EXBMX - Spotted this disused track while out on a bike ride with the missus (so only had my 'action' camera with me). Panorama made from about 5 shots.

Thought I might have seen a few people on it after the GB team's success on the track in the Olympics, but still overgrown.

EXBMX by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I almost put this one in from last weekend, but where possible, I do like to submit something taken for the theme...

Lunch by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a great BMX track as it is! Nice Spadger too :)

Snappers choice
So you were in your bike, did you have a little spin around the track?

Two nice shots there. I forget how pretty the sparrows are - captured beautifully. PS.. spuggies for me too ;)

Week 31 - (Look Ma, No) Hands.

Going to be busy this weekend, so getting in early.

Always found it weird that Apple Watches don't have hands until you raise your wrist or tap them.

Couple of versions - I prefer the one where they're angled - or at least I would if they were all at the same angle - so I'm using the one where they're more front on as I think it's neater.

Look ma no hands by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Look ma no hands2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think they are both great pictures. You certainly given it an interesting take on the theme. I reckon you’ve chosen the right picture for the main thread. It’s looks good in B&W

Two good shots and a take on the theme I'd thought of :)

I have a friend who's obsessed with only photographing churches etc when the clock hands are at 10:10 or 1:50 - he'd be cross that you were a few minutes late :D

The problem is: both those watches are self winding. the only ways to stop the hands is to completely unscrew the crowns. But that looks awful in pictures. The other option is to set them up, wait for the self-winder to run out, then very carefully (so as not to accidentally wind them up again) reset the time and try and screw the crowns down. As they were all shot separately, there was lots of moving about so they did keep getting wound up - as did I. ;)

Plus, in my original shots, I actually wanted them to be moving as I was trying to capture the sweeping second hand(s).

In the end I had to keep resetting them to 10:10. But by the time I’d set up the shot and taken it and got the one I was happiest with they’d moved.

Last edited:
PS - just in case anyone is at all interested, I bought an LED lightbox (this was so that I can trace images quickly for work, not photography related) and had that set up to the right as my light source. Sometimes held a piece of paper on the left to bounce a little bit of light back in that side.

This is the item in question - could prove quite useful for desktop shots like this.

But it lets me do quick scamps for visuals...

DR O026.jpg

Last edited:
Plants
I make a point of not looking at he images until I post my efforts. If someone else has done the same concept it doesn't bother me, everyone sees different views of the same subject. I like the `oar planting` image the best, not sure if the swan(?) is in danger from the approaching blades!

Dominating
Really nice viaduct which does "dominate" the landscape. Have you any images looking across them from above?

Snapper's Choice
Our local park has just a "pump truck" installed which is effectively how I remember the old BMX track looked in my younger days (30 ish years ago!) I'm sure it was replaced when it went out of fashion a couple of years later. Your panaroma works well, I did look at it on Flickr and didn't see any noticeable "joins"

Hands
Did you think about having the Apple Watch activated, it looks a bit strange having no face but given its modern would still look a bit out of place. I do like the angled one the best but prefer the Apple Watch lighting on the top down photo.

You have picked the right one out of the 2 to show, but the apple watch is the odd one out.
Shows the times I guess.

I had a sinclair black watch with red LED when they came out. not sure how long it lasted before failing.

Pete

Hands
Did you think about having the Apple Watch activated, it looks a bit strange having no face but given its modern would still look a bit out of place. I do like the angled one the best but prefer the Apple Watch lighting on the top down photo.

I did a couple with the face activated but that caused a couple of issues. The first was that I couldn't reset the time on the Apple watch and I took the shots mid-afternoon so it would have looked very different anyway. The second is that as I was messing about, it then occurred to me that it would be nice to deliberately single the Apple watch out because it doesn't have hands.

I like the take on the theme and the B&W pp suits well. Nice lighting too.

The second shot is tidier for me. I like the light from the RHS, although the smartwatch gets a little lost on its dark side.

Hands
Both shots are good, but I do prefer the straight, front on shot.

Week 32 - Fur.

Late entry for this one as I was away last week. I did read the theme though and laughed as I was in Spain and it was 30+ degrees. So bang goes any ideas of people wearing fur...

Beach just for dogs:

TP522021: W32 - FUR 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

No wonder the tongue is out:

TP522021: W32 - FUR 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Better to have less fur:

TP522021: W32 - FUR 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But this is the submission: Taken with a crappy PAS waterproof camera, so doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. But while the ones above could be taken on a sunny day in England, this one definitely says hot country and that's why the dog's in the shade.

TP522021: W32 - FUR 05 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Fur - #4 could be taken on Clapham Junction Station ;)
#3 for me though. I get what you're doing with #4, but due to wanting to get the whole palm tree in, I didn't see the dog originally.
Hands - #2 on here. The lighting on the apple watch in #1 doesn't do it for me. #2 is much more cohesive :)
Snappers - Pano works nicely. I'd be wanting to get my RC Car out on that track (y)

Fur - #4 could be taken on Clapham Junction Station ;)
#3 for me though. I get what you're doing with #4, but due to wanting to get the whole palm tree in, I didn't see the dog originally.
Hands - #2 on here. The lighting on the apple watch in #1 doesn't do it for me. #2 is much more cohesive :)
Snappers - Pano works nicely. I'd be wanting to get my RC Car out on that track (y)

It's definitely something I thought about on the Fur one. As it was only a PAS camera, it only takes JPEGs. So not too many options for recovering the shadows. I did do a close up, but it lost something (for me) by not including the palm.

Last edited:
Week 33 - (needs a) Clean.

Only one this week (unusual for me).

This is actually our toilet in the annexe attached to our house. Clearly, it never gets used (well, very rarely, and only in extreme emergencies), but it does all still function.

As you can see from the background and floor, the whole structure needs knocking down and rebuilding. Just don't have the funds to do it.

HDR shot from about 10 long exposures. Desaturated and lots of clarity added.

TP522021 - WK33: (Needs a) Clean by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bit of a crap photo that - I like it :D

I think the emergency would have to be very extreme! Am reminded of a friend who had an extreme emergency near to a part built house on the way back from the pub one night. Popped in through the wall to take care of business and cleaned himself up with something soft and fluffy on the floor nearby. Turned out to be loft insulation. He never did that again...

At least the bog roll is clean, so bang on theme! :)

I think the emergency would have to be very extreme! Am reminded of a friend who had an extreme emergency near to a part built house on the way back from the pub one night. Popped in through the wall to take care of business and cleaned himself up with something soft and fluffy on the floor nearby. Turned out to be loft insulation. He never did that again...

At least the bog roll is clean, so bang on theme! :)
I hope that wasn't the old fibreglass stuff...

Last edited:
Back