weekly 2022 - 52's from Ecniv

Bread roll works for new, although personally I might have tried a slightly different angle to get more focus on the main subject. Second shot for the old.

Bread roll works for me. You can almost smell it.

For Old, I think I'd liked to have seen more of an effort to get some horizontal/vertical lines in it. Either in camera or in post.

I hope you don't mind, but for your chosen image I've tried a version where I've straightened it up.

It's problematic as it's not symmetrical, so it's hard to get the point in the middle.

I did try a version where I extended the wall to the left: But I didn't like it.

Vince 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

So I cropped it to make the point more deliberately off centre. I also lightened the windows a bit.

Vince 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But the grey of the lead? on the right would bug me - a mono conversion would help hide that.

Vince 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But then you lose the stained glass.

So I did a version where it's sort of selective colour.

Vince 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I understand why you went with the roll of New, but I actually feel I prefer the building site. I spent time looking around it and I guess I now know you're in The Netherlands.
What software are you using for your edits? I seems to have controlled the noise pretty well. Kell has done a pretty good job of straightening the shot, and it's something worth considering when taking a shot of something you're not on the same level as. You may find you want to apply straightening, and thus need to give yourself plenty of space around the subject to allow for it.

Really like the bread roll Vince but I also like the shot of the computer (?) cables.

I kind of like @Kell's selective colour version of your "old" shot.

@Kell
Thanks for the edits... I definitely need to think a little more on composition.
If I were to edit it would take me longer than ten mins... might feel like it but probably more like two hours :D
Not sure LR can do it easily and I have Affinity to play with too...

@LC2
I'm using Adboe LR, As I'm not replacing things (I'd use Gimp) it has sliders and things.. left mainly on a default for noise...
As to the shot I tooke a 28mm but had on a 50mm whilst walking through Amsterdam city center after lock down was released a little last saturday. I should have swapped lenses to do the Kell edits, but then its a crop and I prefer not to if I can help it. My usual problem is a 1-2 degree tilt, which when straightened instantly has crop...

@Darkslinger
Its an extension cord, new in package ready to put behind the refridgerator...

@Kell
Thanks for the edits... I definitely need to think a little more on composition.
If I were to edit it would take me longer than ten mins... might feel like it but probably more like two hours :D
Not sure LR can do it easily and I have Affinity to play with too...

I did all the edits in LR. I only switched over to Photoshop for the last picture. Where I pput the Colour image under the B&W one then cut out the windows, so the colour ones show through. It's possible to do this in LR too, by using the brush tool to desaturate parts of the image, but I find photoshop quicker in that regard.

That aside, using the guided Transform tools you simply draw lines of things you want either horizontal or vertical. It's very quick.

I’ll see if I can find a tutorial, but it’s a useful tool.

You could forgo the vertical straightening to keep some perspective in it.

Last edited:
Typically, once the week of new passed, I had some more new things...

Amazingly, still new as I havent opened it yet.
These would have fit well in the current theme!

Hey Vince, just wondering if you've been posting your submissions in the main submission thread. I don't see them there.

I like all of your collections Vince, I think that you've got a great eye. I especially like the last panning shot of the black car.

You've got some cracking shots packed up in those sets. Hard to pick a favourites from each theme, but I do like the B&W bottle shot.

I really like the black car, week 5 with tech, but I'm getting a bit confused as to which are your chosen shots for which theme.

The last of the bottle shots in B&W is my favourite for bottle, and I wasn't sure about the receptacle. I like the B&W with cyclists in but what is the receptacle - the tram? Or is this a snapper's choice?

Anyway you have some very nice shots in here.

I really like the black car, week 5 with tech, but I'm getting a bit confused as to which are your chosen shots for which theme.

The last of the bottle shots in B&W is my favourite for bottle, and I wasn't sure about the receptacle. I like the B&W with cyclists in but what is the receptacle - the tram? Or is this a snapper's choice?

Anyway you have some very nice shots in here.
Thanks.. Idea for receptacle is that it is a container. so smaller ones could be a tram, or the buildings.. bigger one: city (container of people).

@seaodyssey @SimonH @Darkslinger Thanks!

Back