4K UHD TV Owners advice please.

Edit My Images
Yes
We are considering a 4K UHD TV, basically my question is are they worth it for what is shown on Sky.

In Currys all that was shown on these 4K Tv's was 'canned', there were no actual broadcasts.

When asked if I could see a Sky broadcast the assistant said 'sorry none of the 4K TV's are connected to an aerial or dish'

So.....Are 4K Tv's worth it for stuff being broadcast now.

TIA

DiW

Most of the Broadcasters have stated they're waiting for phase 2. Test results from the EBU, CableLabs and ARIB show marginal if any quality increases for 4k, but large increases for 4k + HDR + high framerate + better colours.

If your thinking of getting an 4K tv now,think more as an investment for the future,than for anything that being broadcast now :)

Since even a GoPro can record 4K now you might find it gets full use sooner than you'd think.
Our next main TV will definitely be 4K.

My friend just got the LG 4K oled(non curved),he's on his third in 2 weeks,this one seems to be without issues but they have had a lot of returns,anyway
he loves it and is awaiting the pirate 4 K films not too far away now :)

Since even a GoPro can record 4K now you might find it gets full use sooner than you'd think.
Our next main TV will definitely be 4K.
Can it?

It may have 4k images but under test, it struggles to resolve HD.

Definitely on my wish list for the future. I find the picture quality amazing.
I have asked this question in one of the stores selling them. It was a while ago now though.
They said there isn't much (if anything?) being broadcast in 4k, but it will upscale an ordinary broadcast to give a better image???
As I said, this was a while ago, so I may have it completely wrong (not the best on the memory front :().

Remember in a store, you're looking at it from a few inches. All the scientific tests show no real gains at normal viewing distances.

We have a Samsung 55 inch UHD 4K , and although we don't have Sky, the HD channels on Freesat definitely look better , as I understand it 'upscales ' them, I've tried a few youtube 4K videos and they look amazing, the amount of detail is very impressive.
So it's probably just a case of the Broadcasters catching up.

We have a Samsung 55 inch UHD 4K , and although we don't have Sky, the HD channels on Freesat definitely look better , as I understand it 'upscales ' them, I've tried a few youtube 4K videos and they look amazing, the amount of detail is very impressive.

by the time they cartch up (with 4K TV), you will be in the shops getting new 8K TV or even 16K :)

If like me your connection isn't up to 4K youtube, you can download them quite painlessly to view later
e.g. https://www.4kdownload.com/ is a safe way without loads of ads or piggyback attempts.

I have the LG 4K tv, whilst there is no real difference for standard def videos it's good for high res photographs. I needed a new TV anyway, so for a little bit more added a bit of future proofing. I am sure 4K will become more mainstream than 3D has.

I have the LG 4K tv, whilst there is no real difference for standard def videos it's good for high res photographs. I needed a new TV anyway, so for a little bit more added a bit of future proofing. I am sure 4K will become more mainstream than 3D has.
I'm not. UHDTV will, but not 4k.

Google EBU tr.028

Netflix streams some 4K freeview via areal never and I was told Sky will not be able to handle 4K

Bluray very little media and the hdmi handshake is not really yet sorted, amplifiers can now do upscalling

Guess for myself it's a bit soon and my internet is poor for hidef streaming would not like less than 20mbps for tv assuming no one else was using bandwidth at the same time in your household

Netflix streams some 4K freeview via areal never and I was told Sky will not be able to handle 4K

Bluray very little media and the hdmi handshake is not really yet sorted, amplifiers can now do upscalling

Guess for myself it's a bit soon and my internet is poor for hidef streaming would not like less than 20mbps for tv assuming no one else was using bandwidth at the same time in your household

Sky have actually been testing their 4K boxed for a while now. Launch isn't too far away.

Sky have actually been testing their 4K boxed for a while now. Launch isn't too far away.
That's cool shows what Currys knows just hope something other than maybe sport is shot in 4K I was always an early adopter my plasma is 4 years old now and going well maybe when it dies or better / more is broadcast I will jump. Like the new Panasonic sets in LED maybe the oled sets will be better value by the time I buy.

One thing for sure if you run plasma and like energy efficiency the 4K sets would save a few bob :ty:

That's cool shows what Currys knows just hope something other than maybe sport is shot in 4K I was always an early adopter my plasma is 4 years old now and going well maybe when it dies or better / more is broadcast I will jump. Like the new Panasonic sets in LED maybe the oled sets will be better value by the time I buy.

One thing for sure if you run plasma and like energy efficiency the 4K sets would save a few bob :ty:
I was doing that calculation yesterday, any savings are immediately eaten up by having to switch on the heating :eek:

cant beat a bit of world of warships at 4k on a 65incher, its like being captain of that ship :)

99% are to be fair. I always regretted getting on 1080p so early as there was little to watch at the time , BUT saying that 4k has had a price drop in the past 6 months and if you need a new TV then you may as well "future proof" your self
It's not future proof. Very few current 4k TVs have the high dynamic range or high framerate features. At best they'll show a down convert. At worst nothing.

Dunno about sky but most tv isn't even in HD nevermind 4k...

Bzz. Wrong. Very Wrong. Unless you happen to spend all day watching antique repeats and imports....

Everything Sky produces in-house is 1080i and has been for years. The days of random dodgy upscaleing went in 2011 when Sky Studios opened, and opened their first HD studio in 2005 (now upgraded...)
They have also done some test broadcasts in UHD but don't hold your breath for anything other than flagship sports and movies anytime soon.

BBC & ITV are better than they used to be, with most of their output now HD - after years when they would make it in HD and broadcast in SD because transmission wasn't up to it - but are still stuck with a very clunky regional opt-out system that means most people end up watching the SD version of their channels instead of HD because of the numbering sequence on the EPG (which is broken on all platforms)

It's not the resolution that matters, it's the quality of the panel.

If your budget can only buy you an entry level UHD TV, don't bother. You want the top of the range display. The resolution is only a marketing catchphrase.

So do your research on the panel you get from your future TV, whatever you do DO NOT choose a TV based on a single attribute.

Sky are launching their 4K service on November 18th.

Yeah....I bet that's not all plain sailing either.

The ideal scenario for me would be to fork out for a new box and pay an extra subscription.....but I bet it aint that simple.

Signing up to Sky broadband and phone will be necessary I should think. :(

Was in currys yesterday the had Samsung and Sony 4K TVs by the door in bulk, 499 for 40, 999 for 55 Sony and 1899 for 65 inch Samsung , think 55s my sweet spot 65 would be too big and wife would hate it..

Yeah....I bet that's not all plain sailing either.

The ideal scenario for me would be to fork out for a new box and pay an extra subscription.....but I bet it aint that simple.

Signing up to Sky broadband and phone will be necessary I should think. :(

Mates a sky installer and apparentlly its just a crappy streaming box called SkyQ or something and will stream 4k like netflix

Sky's press conference to launch the new product is at 9 this morning.

I'm a sucker for early adoption and will be getting one soon, this time I have held back until the hdcp had been sorted, as I understand early sets would not provide the handshake if (read when) the copy protection is turned on ... looks like 2016 will be a good year to go for it for me :)

I have a 48" 4K TV. It's the perfect size for our room but at 48". I think you really need a larger TV to fully appreciate it but having said that 4K on a 48" is still stunning. I've some content on a media drive that I bought but other than that I have no access to any other 4K material. As previously said, you need upwards of 20mbps for 4K but since I'm lucky to get 5mbps I'm unable stream Netflix until they upgrade our cabinet in 2 years time!!
Viewing my photos on the TV is great btw.

Back