We had a "Showcase" theme for week 52 of the 52 challenge to put up our best so I did end up looking through my images to see which ones I really liked. I'm going to pick three different ones :)

2021-08-14-washiS-645n-14.jpg
This taken at the TP F&C meetup at Astle Park. I like it because of the balance of bowler hat guy and the flag.

XT025879.jpg
This was taken for our village show/ The photography section had entries for "red & white" and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Picked up a 1st for it which was very nice.

2020-03-09-macoeagle-eos1v-proc.jpg
And this one was a happy accident. 2 photos were either side of the cut I made when scanning the negatives. The second image was scanned back to front. When I imported them into LR, I was scratching my head for a while to discover how it happened as they were next to each other in the filmstrip. Then I thought they would look cool blended together in a Pink Floyd "Two Suns In The Sunset" kinda way.

All three made nice big wall prints for the year too.

This one was for last years TP 52 photo a week and in infrared, just playing with the new to me camera a Panasonic G3 and off camera flash to see what I could do with it.
Quite happy with it as it made explore on flickr.
Week 1 - Fruit by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This one again was in Infrared and for the photo a week. Its not a perfect panorama by any stretch but as of about 6 weeks or 2 months ago these last 4 Stewartby chimneys now no longer exist after being demolished.
Week 4 - Tall by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

And my favourite overall is this of my 2 Border Collies, again IR on the G3.
Week 6 - Pair by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

AM-JKLWl8gduNCaQaHJwyAwy4yWXGxtSMgV17WpmstHhZYSVoRLbtdZxopqx4VmErKihay0OQspIuyAKba9mu8jFWqjOkKA7aibolOxF8HsoYiewvGLrMBRdaZ_3DVqbxld2LvxtM1rTAfQhVUZoC3bn45kZFg=w1186-h866-no

AM-JKLV8r2MURRbGnT5_tX5o-aQQFGTkX4TThPk9Z2dS7z15wKyFDBEXnE1zr4c4jC1hhi3u-RQPwFCeyHDjEcJ75rz3jpenfLELMmJfsKEzEogZRnllBWqw4yMNPCCczacR2JHN7JfAtWBQK7mV8tEPaXCC7A=w1059-h866-no

AM-JKLXRNjxjTb178GmhFTKk0BJpH2A48nmquT9Od7iAjjw2JYVvrTxM0EnzKu3b5yguMc4rQ7YKIBYmRlZCgRy13BNz2UaAm7uUZfp680HD27MiVex8He9zv-fAO0F7ewT1WxwQxPOjn1Jz2PsEEF0mc2Cbog=w1039-h866-no

Great thread!
These are three of my favourites from 2021. Not because I think that they are good, but that they gave me enthusiasm to do more.

The bench in our local country park. Taken on my 1955 Baldina, fun to use and gives nice images that I wish to work more with.
(Not the best time of year for light, but one that I am pleased with).

BaldinaBench1.jpg

One from the "disposable camera challenge". It has a look, was fun to play with. Now keep one in my bag at all times.
This is my much used camera test scene, but I haven't yet caught a train on the bridge when the light is good.
WaitingForTrain.jpg

I have enjoyed IR photography for many years, lone trees make great subjects... must find new scenes.
Full spectrum Olympus Pen EPL-1 on an orange filter.
treebw.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread, I'll add mine in order taken

I spend many evenings watching and recording Long-eared owl nest sites, have 1000's of photos from just record to close-ups in great light but this has to be one of my all time favourites taken back in March.

It's rarely I get eye contact with these birds but the turned head, wing position and facial expression has to be crying out for a comedy caption :)

LEO 2.jpg

Next the Merlin chicks and the reason for posting in this thread.

The shot was chosen by admin ( @sirch @Cobra @lindsay ) to feature in '2021, Review of the Year' thread and I wanted to say thank you, it was much appreciated.

I was very fortunate to get so close to these stunning birds and was honoured it was chosen to appear alongside some excellent photos, cheers

Merlin chicks 1024.jpg

Last one, far from technically perfect, taken in poor weather @12,800 ISO, but one of those moments most bird photographers wait for, a ( close 'ish) fly-by female Hen Harrier

Hen Harrier.jpg

Last edited:
What a great idea. My choices are those "I remember taking that shots"..

Just before I got a drenching...

086A4380 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

A rare day out in 2021 taken on a long exposure workshop..

PW6A6624 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

First photography holiday for 2 years with friends who I've been travelling with for over 15 years!

PW6A6807 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

So difficult :D but I've enjoyed looking at other peoples pictures so I should post something. I have a folder I put my favourite pictures in and I often set a slideshow going but this last year I've lapsed a bit and have a lot of sorting through to do, but from memory I'll pick these.

"Aren't you ready yet?"

S0elCjH.jpg

A valued and rare day out.

fuYFweG.jpg

One of my favourite haunts is the sea side but the lighting is often poor so I was glad to be there one day with decent light. So glad that I did a pano.

The beachcomber. I don't know who she is or what she was looking for but she looked to be being very thorough and occasionally selected something to put in her bag.

wyrMdEe.jpg

I did a best dozen somewhere else so here are three of them...

1. "Best" is always subject - but this is probbaly my favourite from 2021. Mrs Oy on her Birthday back in January.
I get a kick out of bucking the official right/wrongs of photography. This was one of my first outings with the Nikon 500mm PF. And of course "they" say you can't / shouldn't do portraits with 500mm. PAH!

50817768358_57694c7824_h.jpg

2. Flying Scotsman at Dandrymire Viaduct, Garsdale - a new angle discovered for this location.

51280559732_1d8f2d1e4f_h.jpg

3. Steamy Landscape. I loved the rural feel and lighting to this shot as steam locos 5643 and 7820 'Dinmore Manor' come around the corner on the approach to Irwell Vale on the East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala 151021.

i-hxzFnfn-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread, here are my best 3 in descending order:

Tryfan from Afon Lloer

Boscastle from above the harbour

Our new pup, Alfie (when he was not an adolescent PITA! :D :p:p)

Best is subjective, but these three are my favourites of the year…

1. My first trip out with my infrared converter A7R and I love everything about this shot
5A449B40-5163-4906-A750-483B8D316799.jpeg

2. Because I planned this location and shot over a month or so but as it was squeezed into a family holiday I needed to be lucky with the light on this specific day. Nature didn’t disappoint
0C47D3D0-9B63-4E0A-A3A3-6486AFCB4686.jpeg

3. Another image from the evening in Cornwall that captured shot 2, and my first experiment with stacking star shots. Really rescued me since there was so little foreground light I’d ended with quite noisy individual shots. Pity the Milky Way isn’t higher in the sky but beggars can’t be choosers, eh :)
4FF187C6-FC67-4C7B-9666-5731AA4DCFC4.jpeg

Some amazing photographs in this thread already.

Here are my 3 favourites from 2021 - 2 from Dorset and one from the Lake District.

Corfe Castle - it took me 5 years of trips to Dorset to finally get the castle in some mist :)
The Mists of Time by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Walking off West Hill after photographing the castle above - always keep your camera handy - just in case :)
Halcyon Days by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

I was waiting for some light to find its way through onto a scene in the Lake District and luckily glanced over my shoulder and managed to spin the camera round and capture my favourite shot from the trip
Golden by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
Difficult to choose, but here are three of my favourite shots last year - all shot using Olympus m4/3.

London Mini Marathon U15G race in Central London (September):

20211003_091219_345 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

U15B & U17B Surrey League Race in Richmond Park (October):

U15B & U17B Surrey League XC Race in Richmond Park, London, UK by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

U15B & U17B Surrey League Race on Wimbledon Common (November):

20211113_141659_063 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

These are my three faves from last year.

A new location, to me, in Wales. Visited thanks to a great book I got for Xmas.

Jubilee Tower Sunset by Jason, on Flickr

My local hills. The various restrictions of the last year or two have made me appreciate Shropshire, my home county, a lot more than I used to. Possibly the reason I like this shot.

Lawley Morning by Jason, on Flickr

Different day, (almost) the same location.

Clearing Fog, Shropshire Hills by Jason, on Flickr

I don't use Flickr as often as I do with Instagram, so I have decided to choose my best from Flickr as it's hard to decide on favourites, which ones are a decent photo or which one brings back fond memories.
1. When my son is home, he is resigned to the fact I may want a photo or 2
View: https://flic.kr/p/2kSf6M7

2. I take photos of Corfe all the time (as it is my view from the office window), but I like the simplicity of this one.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2kUbYat

3. The bluebells here were beautiful with the sun streaming through
https://flic.kr/p/2kWsCnA

Back