*** 7D Firmware Released Today*** Inc Video!

About to do this update, anyone know if its ok doing it using a grip?? Sorry if thats a stupid question, just cant afford for this to go wrong.

About to do this update, anyone know if its ok doing it using a grip?? Sorry if thats a stupid question, just cant afford for this to go wrong.

If you are concerend, why not just take the grip off?

Thanks Nigel (y)

David - because foolishly I didnt put the battery cover in its little storage place, and dont know where it is at the mo!

Did the upgrade yesterday and all seems ok. A quick play and I cant see any problems luckily. I managed several runs of 26 with a 10-22 at 3200 ISO f/8 and 1/250. Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s, these were indoors (no flash of course), not a very technical trial but it proved there is an improvement. Thats probably the most useful feature for me, plus the ability to auto set daylight saving time, I always forget to change the camera. The Auto ISO limit may be useful but its not something I am raving about, I have never used auto ISO yet. Everything else I will still do in PP.
I noticed you can also change the prefix (normally IMG_) to any three alpha numeric combinations ending with underscore that you chose, and you can have a choice of 3 prefixes.

I am sure I noticed on the Canon site that this upgrade isnt reversible, so even though the earlier firmware version is available you wont be able to downgrade.

Very Interesting, my 7D locked up twice yesterday while in "High Speed Continuous" Mode. I just assumed my Duracell 16GB (300x / 45Mb ps) CF card was not fast enough and locked up. Removing the battery for a short while solved the problem.

Also had the battery meter issues, a fully charged battery showing less than 50.00%.

I have just re-installed v.2.0.0 and wait to see what happens.

The story continues, we (Mrs W. H) and I went to the Wildlife Heritage Foundation (WHF) Open Day at Smarden today and had 3 more lockups, followed by 2 "Er 30's" and then it just died. Tried removing the CR1616 battery to do a reset and nothing.

It had a genuine Canon battery in & Canon Lens on so god knows what has happened. To say that I am not a happy bunny is a complete understatement as we are going away at the weekend so I need this like a bloody hole in the head.

I have not read all through this thread, but did you re-format the card immediately after completing the update?

I have shot in high speed continuous mode all day today with the new firmware without a problem.

I have not read all through this thread, but did you re-format the card immediately after completing the update?

I have shot in high speed continuous mode all day today with the new firmware without a problem.

I always format the card in the camera before going out with it in case I left any images on it.

I used the RAW-jpg in-camera conversion which was very convenient, however it would be useful if the conversion allowed exposure tweeks in the same way that DPP does - this is one of the main reasons I shoot RAW.

I do think I have found a bug though. In the RAW conversion, there is the magnify option. Pressing the magnify button does indeed magnify the image, however it locks the buttons and you cannot do anything. Touching the shutter button clears it though, so not a real issue just a niggle. Anyone else found this or know of a mechanism to report it to Canon (I wonder if they scan these forums for comments?).

I have tested he high speed mode and consistently get 22 frames before the buffers locks.

The story continues, we (Mrs W. H) and I went to the Wildlife Heritage Foundation (WHF) Open Day at Smarden today and had 3 more lockups, followed by 2 "Er 30's" and then it just died. Tried removing the CR1616 battery to do a reset and nothing.

It had a genuine Canon battery in & Canon Lens on so god knows what has happened. To say that I am not a happy bunny is a complete understatement as we are going away at the weekend so I need this like a bloody hole in the head.

To finish the story. I sent the 7D off to a Canon Repair Centre (CPS Silver Member) and got it back yesterday after having the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) replaced at a total cost of £234.00, they originally thought that it was the Shutter Mechanism causing the problem.

Did the firmware update cause the fault, who knows !!

Paul W. H said:
To finish the story. I sent the 7D off to a Canon Repair Centre (CPS Silver Member) and got it back yesterday after having the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) replaced at a total cost of £234.00, they originally thought that it was the Shutter Mechanism causing the problem.

Oh bugger!

I would say ask around, keep your ears/ eyes out for other 7D owners reporting similar faults post update, if a few develop the issue it would indicate a firmware issue and a base to complain!

Or it could just be bad luck!

I didn't up date mind straight away as I was going on a trip and didn't want any issues. I updated it after about a week and gave it a quick try out. Everything was fine

Went and switched it on yesterday, the first time since the test shots after the update, and the camera sounded like it fired off a rapid burst of shots twice and showed an ERR 20 code. Every time I press a button or move the switch on the lens from AF to MF same results, just a rapid burst of shoots. Not sure if it’s connected to the update but I had no problems before. It’s only 4 month old so it’s back to the shop today or tomorrow.

Harry, On a positive note at least you are still under warranty, inconvenient yes, but it will not hurt your wallet.

Harry, On a positive note at least you are still under warranty, inconvenient yes, but it will not hurt your wallet.

Never good news having to pay out your own pocket especially as these are sold as semi-professional lever cameras with alleged higher build quality.

Well the news on mine is mixed, I have just tried it before taking it to the shop and everything appears fine. All working as normal. I’m now wondering if the same thing will happen again in the future. Still not sure if it was the update or something else that caused the problem in the first place.

Am currently searching out the prev firmware to try to unbrick my7D.........

Not happy

:shake:

I am sure I noticed on the Canon site that this upgrade isnt reversible, so even though the earlier firmware version is available you wont be able to downgrade.

:shrug:

Not happy

:shake:

why has it gone wrong? if so plug your cam in to PC,Download firmware again to your desktop, open Utility and update with that, make sure you have formatted you card and have a full battery

As on the POTN thread the camera refuses to respond to any button, screens are blank, multiple times pulling & reinserting the battery resulted in no image recorded when shutter is pressed even though the camera seemed to be set to my usual AV mode etc and I heard the shutter release, then it froze up with blank screens again.

Anyone else in the same boat - is it the firmware or do I just have a random ***** up??

I usually d/l the firmware to PC & transfer it to a CF card & stick in the camera, you reckon a reinstall of the same v2 firmware is worth a try?

BTW can someone merge this into the 7d v2 firmware thread?

I usually d/l the firmware to PC & transfer it to a CF card & stick in the camera, you reckon a reinstall of the same v2 firmware is worth a try?

BTW can someone merge this into the 7d v2 firmware thread?

Use EOS Utility rather than a card reader some peps have had probs using card readers

ok will give it a try, nothing to lose at the moment!

Gonna get some sleep & try to sort it in the morning

It'll prob work fine then............

Last edited:
no its not a p+ssed up moment, lol! turned it on and no go, big work day looming :-(

Did you try setting the auto power off to longer than 1 min, or disabling it entirely?

I didn't think of the firmware but at last weeks wedding my 7D stopped working twice! I just switched lens onto the 5D2 and carried on but worrying that there is an issue!!!

They better fix it quick!

Ive not had any probs with mine since updating, if it is a firmware issue, hope its sorted soon off to do some googling to see if more folk have probs

Interesting reading:cautious: I haven't had any issues either, but may switch off the APO until this issue is resolved!

On a side note, did anyone notice the one liner on the other forum about the 40mm firmware update? I've googled it and found this I need to check my lens when I get home.

aren't firmware and software issues the norm for all consumer electronics nowadays
strange how only some 7d's are affected are these the earlier models
mine has been fine since the upgrade and it has APO 'd many times
the only error mine has is user error

Hmm, having left the batteries out overnight all seems well this morning.

Only time will tell, confidence in upgrading firmware has taken a knock though, will stick with v2 for now & watch for news from Canon.

Just Dave said:
Ah thanks I didnt know what Marsha meant by APO, now I know what APO is, I know how to turn that off thanks (y)
Many apologies, I'm too militarised everything is TLA's (three letter abbreviations) I took a second to figure out what others were saying so assumed everyone else knew too:bonk:

Back