*** 7D Firmware Released Today*** Inc Video!

Could only update firmware on my 7D from EOS utility. Try as i might the camera would not recognise the updated firmware file on various cf cards.:shrug: Downloaded update various times from US site and UK site but didn't work. And i did format the cards in camera and made sure it was in the 1st folder on card:LOL:
Just letting people know in-case they have the same problem.

Mine was the same in the end, an old 2GB Sandisk Extreme III, then a newer 4GB Ultra so not dodgy cards or anything! EOS Utility was fine.

And i did format the cards in camera and made sure it was in the 1st folder on card
It doesn't go into either of the folders on the card. In Windows Explorer, you just drag the file and drop it into the card drive. When it's done, if you click on the drive letter for the card you can see two folders and a single file.

for an update that takes less than 5 minutes a full battery seems a bit over the top
mine was around 55% and had no problems
maybe if it was a faulty battery that drained quickly then it would be a problem

ok update though not used any of it yet though

It doesn't go into either of the folders on the card. In Windows Explorer, you just drag the file and drop it into the card drive. When it's done, if you click on the drive letter for the card you can see two folders and a single file.

Now why didn't Canon explain it as you have.(y)
I did try it as you explained, but i didn't explain it as well as you did in my post. Apologies if i confused anyone. Probs down to user error as per usual....:) or maybe a dodgy CF card. Never mind updated now. Thanks for clarification.

Just downloaded and installed no problems. Biggest update i am looking forward to is the setting the max ISO. That is the only feature with the 7d that i have thought to myself would be useful when have been using the camera over the past year.

Just downloaded and installed no problems. Biggest update i am looking forward to is the setting the max ISO. That is the only feature with the 7d that i have thought to myself would be useful when have been using the camera over the past year.

I never use Auto ISO anyway, so that part of the update makes no difference to me

I never use Auto ISO anyway, so that part of the update makes no difference to me

I never use the auto ISO because there is no way to stop it jumping to something ridiculous. Being able to have set a maximum of say 400 I think will be useful.

I note that someone has reported AF changes for the worst with both Sigma and 'some' Canon glass. Here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=42216120

But most feedback here at TP and over at PoTN seems quite positive.

Think I’ll give it a week or two until people have actually used it in the real world and not just tested out the new burst rate. Not much in the update for me really and if the auto focus has not been improved I don’t think I’ll bother with the update.

harryweld said:
Think I’ll give it a week or two until people have actually used it in the real world and not just tested out the new burst rate. Not much in the update for me really and if the auto focus has not been improved I don’t think I’ll bother with the update.

Fired off a good few hundred shots at Santa pod yesterday with no issues. Auto iso was pretty useful in the changing light, no noticeable difference with AF, didn't try anything else...

Mine updated in a couple of minutes, battery was around 30% at start and 28% at the finish, no problem, some of the new quick menus look good, time will tell if I use them.
Auto asa limit a good idea because before I wouldn't have used it but now being able to set a limit I probably will.

Spoke to soon. In manual for camera has developed a problem. The dial on top of the camera and the back wheel will only alter the same thing.

If i go into custom settings to assign different functions to each dial it ignores one of them.

So I have to set the Aperture, then change the custom setting to Tv and then would change the shutter.

Please somebody come along and say I have missed something basic here. Never had a problem in Manual before this!

Tried to lenses Sigma 24-70 and 70-200.

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk: I cant believe what I have done. If it wasnt for the firmware update I would have realised what I was doing. "I had the Lock slider on" never use this function so didnt notice it was on.

Last edited:
Please somebody come along and say I have missed something basic here. Never had a problem in Manual before this!
Just tested this for you with mine (but the lens was a 24-70F2.8L) and everything worked as it should in Manual mode. I can swap TV and AV dials round in the menu and it works correctly either way.

My first thought was that you had not set the CustomFunction(IV) correctly, but you appear to know what you are doing there.

Sorry I can't help further but it doesn't sound like a lens issue.:cautious:

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk: I cant believe what I have done. If it wasnt for the firmware update I would have realised what I was doing. "I had the Lock slider on" never use this function so didnt notice it was on.
You edited your post as I was typing. Glad you've got it sorted.(y) I've actually disabled the lock function so I would never have found this.

Just tested this for you with mine (but the lens was a 24-70F2.8L) and everything worked as it should in Manual mode. I can swap TV and AV dials round in the menu and it works correctly either way.

My first thought was that you had not set the CustomFunction(IV) correctly, but you appear to know what you are doing there.

Sorry I can't help further but it doesn't sound like a lens issue.:cautious:

Thanks very much for looking into this for me but I have been an idiot! I think I panicked because of reading about other problems. I cant believe I had the Lock slider on! So of course one or other AV or TV wouldnt move. :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Now before you go off looking to disable the lock switch,..... you can't!

I knew I'd done it, but it's a function on my 5DIII which isn't there on the 7D.

:bonk: for me too!!!

The increased burst rate has come up trumps first time out, this heron was flying against clear sky I'd shot around 15 frames, then it suddenly swooped against the foliage, I had a few shots left and was able to capture this shot, which I would have missed prior the update.

I find auto-ISO so useful, that it's used around 90% of the time on my 7D, I was going to limit the ISO to 1600, had second thoughts and left it at 3200, I'm pleased I did as this was at ISO2000 (I didn't have time to tweak the shutter speed)

IMG_3219m.jpg

Traded my 50d in for a 7d and noticed the firmware was 1.0.9 i downloaded and installed 2.0.0 via CF card and installed with no problems and all working fine so far! Only alteration was time /date and location all other setting's remained.

Have installed latest Firmware but not sure if it will be of great use to me.....most likely I will only use the File Name change facility.

Updated on Tuesday morning and have taken a few hundred shots with no problems and everything works.

Canon seem to have got this one right.

All done - very nervous as the % increased on the back of the camera

All looks great and some nice features im looking forward to trying out

Steve

Hi, I'm just attempting to update my camera, I've downloaded the firmware and put it on my CF card, put it in the camera and gone to firmware but it just keeps saying 'you need to install a memory card containing new firmware'! ANy ideas what's wrong?

I formatted the card on my pc tried it that way, nope. I formatted it in camera and copied it across. It was a new file so I have since tried it in the DCIM folder, then in the DCIM/100EOS7D folder and in the misc folder, nada:|

If you format the card in the camera you need the file in the root folder, you should the see the file, aswell as the two (or more) normal folders. Then try update :)

Did mine straight through EOS Utility with no issues nice and quick and others say no loss of settings other than date and time

Just done mine everything still works as it should :)

Sorted, apparently I was being a bit special, I copied the whole downloaded file on to the CF card, whereas it should have only been the update file:bonk: Alas this lack of sleep affects ones brain function!
You being a bit special, nice way to put it :LOL:

Glad you got it sorted... done mine, just not had a play yet

Had problems with my camera after update......camera froze on me a few times....only way to unfreeze it was to remove the battery. A bit of research reveals this can be an issue. Solved it at the moment by setting the auto shutoff to "off". Hopefully Canon going to issue an update to solve this.

Thread on DPreview and has been noted quite a bit in Japan apparently.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not alone! Camera froze on me too yesterday.:(

Had to remove both batteries (genuine BG-E7 grip) to 'reboot' it.....

I've also noticed some spurious battery meter issues where the top LCD and the rear screen don't agree. Also had flashing (low) battery alarm with fully charged new batteries followed by a full battery symbol. :thinking:

Very Interesting, my 7D locked up twice yesterday while in "High Speed Continuous" Mode. I just assumed my Duracell 16GB (300x / 45Mb ps) CF card was not fast enough and locked up. Removing the battery for a short while solved the problem.

Also had the battery meter issues, a fully charged battery showing less than 50.00%.

I have just re-installed v.2.0.0 and wait to see what happens.

Last edited:
Dark Knight said:
Glad you got it sorted... done mine, just not had a play yet
I had a quick play with the in camera RAW editing but that's it for now.

Fingers crossed any issues raised by the update will be sorted soon by Canon. Although the original firmware is available on their website if the problems with the new update are unworkable.

As the card is only 30MB/s rated, it seems that the cameras buffer itself has been improved upon, rather than the interface speed towards the CF card.

Just as with Firmware 1.2.5 card speed has zero influence on the number of images it takes to fill the buffer. I compared a 60 MB/s Sandisk with a 1.5 MB/s no-name. Both shot 20 images before the framerate slowed. The time to clear the buffer was slightly different - 11 seconds vs 4 minutes.;)

What does affect the number of images required to fill the buffer is the compressibility of the image. An out-of-focus shot of a white wall at ISO100 is highly compressible and it takes a lot to fill the buffer (24 on the old firmware). A shot of a tree in full leaf at ISO1600 is not very compressible, so a smaller number of shots will fill the buffer (16 on the old firmware). My 20 images were the low-compressibility type.

To measure the max frame buffer you need to shoot at ISO 100 and 1/500sec or faster. It is pointkess measuring anything else because that will not be the max buffer size.

Higher ISO's and slower shutter speeds take more processing and can greatly reduce the buffer. Just compare RAW sizes or how long the write light stays active for pictures shot at ISO 100 vs 3200, or 1/500 vs 1/50sec.

Back