weekly Adamcski 52 for 2022 Week 52 (new to photography) 2022 52 complete

Playing comment catch-up.

Snappers Choice - The dog image looks great for using flash, it's something I shy away from using.

One Half - I hope you were sharing the empty one first!

Post - I don't remember climbing frames being that good when I young (>40 years ago). Lots of nice textures with the bonus tick in the box for the technique.

Water - The leading lines of the second one is my favourite from your selection.

Handles - It still looks a clean image without additional lighting at your disposal, I would probably have aligned the handles to be more even.

Dusty - As others have mentioned the drains do spoil the scenery a bit, but I support they are a necessary element. Maybe there's to create a more aesthetically pleasing cover. I can't anyone ever dusts the drain cover so it will whatever Mother Nature does to it.

Food - Covers the theme, maybe some separation between your hand the dog would improve it slightly. Although I don't imagine you were able to hold it that position long thinking about the composition.

Sorry folks, I'm away and forgot to upload my idea for internal.

Now I had to use my mobile for this one as I do not currently have a macro lens for any of my cameras and my mobile actually does have a macro facility that I thought I could check out.

It's obviously not as good as a proper macro lens, but I've edited the photograph to try and show more detail on the internal watch movement.

I have a decent size watch collection but this Longines Master Collection Moon-phase 40mm is one of my go to watches. It is not the most expensive watch I own, but there is just something about it that I like.

For those interested some details on the watch and movement can be found here: https://watchbase.com/longines/caliber/l687-2 and https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch-the-longines-master-collection-l2-673-4-78-3

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_144559-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220819_144559-01.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Beautiful watch Adam, makes for an interesting image.
Thanks Darkslinger.

I'm waiting to go to the photography show to play around with the other cameras out there and test out the auto focus capabilities (as well as waiting to see what if anything Panasonic bring out to improve the AF on their cameras) prior to purchasing anything else, like a macro lens.

I will keep my G9 & GX9 as they will come to Disney next year, but the L mount S5 is possibly going to go.

I do love North Berwick :)

We've been here twice (this year and last). We were walking around and a gentleman asked us where we were from..he made us chuckle as he said this place isn't really Scotland...it's full of rich English people and to meet real Scottish people, people who would engage and talk to us, we had to go to Glasgow :)

Well for week 34 SMALL I went with:

I felt it was the better picture and thought the composition was okay. There is a small hut and a small island so fits the bill as far as I am concerned.

Now to start thinking about week 35 - Snappers choice and the new tech of shadows. Unfortunately it is raining here so no chance of me going out today (ssshhh I am supposed to be working still) but I aim to get out over the weekend hopefully.

I am also going to start thinking a bit more about what to take pictures of. When I started this challenge I took a lot of photographs of things around my house and I have slowly moved to trying to get out and shoot with the camera and capture things in the natural environment that I think meet the brief (and interest me).

So the weather has been pretty bad with all the storms but I wanted to have a go at some light trails. I jumped in the car and drove to a local (quiet) bridge overlooking the motorway and the below was the best one of the lot - 10 second exposure (in S mode). Pretty happy with it as I haven't done may of these and the camera was balancing on the metal work alongside the bridge :) Not sure if this passes the SHADOWS tech requirement but I can always look at something else with SHADOWS over the next week or so.

Last edited:
That's a great shot Adam - looks to have been excited perfectly, especially if you were balancing he camera rather than using a tripod!
This is something I quite fancy having a go at....where's my "To do" list?

Definitely a very nice shot, especially without a tripod. I'm glad you kept hold of the wrist strap!

Thanks @HelenC (I haven't commented on any other work from people doing the challenge but I do love your work).

I think the built in image stability on the S5 is pretty good. I took some hand held shots last night for another little project (petrol stations in the dark) and they were 2 - 3 seconds and were pretty good. I was trying to see how long I could hand hold it and produce something that looked okay.

I have a tripod but I don't get out with it much.

Fun shot Adam, I'd like to do something like that as well but haven't found the right vantage point.

Okay I managed to get out today, once early with the dog for a walk and thought I would take the camera as it was misty / foggy this morning. Then later this afternoon over to a local National Trust property. What do you think of these (unedited) - would they fit the landscape (a couple have shadows also)?

(I would try and edit out the flag pole).

(I like this one).

(some shadows).

(shaped trees - best angle I could find without people blocking the shot and capturing them in a landscape fashion).

(I like this picture the most and it has shadows).

Do these fit the bill for landscape?

I like the second one the most Adam, a well composed image with a strong subject that is isolated from the background.

I think that the last two would work for the 'scape challenge but they are just not as strong as the second image for a couple of different reasons.
The shaped trees shot doesn't have a well defined focal point for the viewer, while the shadows in the last image pull my eye away from the main point of focus.

Your motorway shot is really good, especially considering you had it balanced on the barrier. I tried a similar shot a number of years ago but it was so windy that the tripod was wobblying. The second picture for landscape would be suitable I think.

That’s very effective.
Thanks Alan.

It's the first time I have thought to go out early with my camera in those conditions and I enjoyed it.

I spent yesterday evening learning about focus stacking on YouTube and playing around with my G9 (need to look on my S5). This may be helpful for landscape work in the future but was something I had no idea about prior to yesterday.

I'm also reading a photography book (forgot it's title) that is about composition and things like that. So just trying to self learn now, but there is so much it's hard to know where to begin :)

Thanks Alan.

It's the first time I have thought to go out early with my camera in those conditions and I enjoyed it.

I spent yesterday evening learning about focus stacking on YouTube and playing around with my G9 (need to look on my S5). This may be helpful for landscape work in the future but was something I had no idea about prior to yesterday.

I'm also reading a photography book (forgot it's title) that is about composition and things like that. So just trying to self learn now, but there is so much it's hard to know where to begin :)
I haven’t looked at focus stacking as I thought it was really for macro and close work, hadn’t thought of it for landscapes etc.

I haven’t looked at focus stacking as I thought it was really for macro and close work, hadn’t thought of it for landscapes etc.

I'm no pro and I'm only going on what I've seen on YouTube and the internet.

There are some videos that show how the G9 uses its 6k photo mode to create in camera focus stacking (jpeg only output) and then I was watching some affinity videos to show how you can do it in post also. I believe macro is one area I will be keen to explore this with but some videos were showing it used for landscape and things like architecture and interior photos where you want all areas in focus but don't want to use F10+ for example.

Downside is I believe you need to use a tripod and some say to use remote trigger or timer to reduce the risk of camera movement...but as a father with two kids and ft work, I very rarely go out with my tripod lol

Last edited:
Nice shot Adam - shooting in misty/foggy conditions can be challenging to get the right result but you've nailed this one

Looking at some options for Looking up.

Out for a walk today, but it was too sunny really (and I don't have any filters to help with that) so decided to play around with sunbursts. Much harder than it looks as virtually every picture I took had flaring in it. I had the lens hood on and didn't point the camera directly at the sun / sky but I suppose it is something you cannot avoid when the sun is set high.

Think this was one of the better ones I took (I was aiming for looking up and shadows).

https://flic.kr/p/2nM43zh

Scapes - I like the second one. I think it works because it's a better angle.
Looking up - trees and shadows is fine.

Back