Beginner AF variation between cameras?

Name
Pedro
Edit My Images
Yes
My friend and I both have the same model camera and lens, an EOS 4000D with 18-55 mm stock lens.
Whilst trying things out, we noticed that the sensitivity of Auto Focus seems slightly different between cameras.

We simply tried taking identical shots in auto (A+) mode with the same zoom setting.
When auto focusing, one camera typically lit up a couple more AF points than the other. So it seems that the AF sensitivity varies between cameras.
So I'm now wondering if one camera is faulty, or perhaps just down to a variation in tolerance.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this. Thanks for any input.

Well it could also be due to the fact that I auto mode there is some form of cpu algorithms that determine which points are more likely to achieve focus lock so even a small movement not detectable to your eye would mean a bigger difference in the AF sensor.

Totally not worth worrying about ,all cameras ,all systems will give different results .. stop trying to figure out what’s wrong and find out what’s right

Thanks for the comments.
I realise that the test was not very scientific - All we did was take the same shots standing in the same position. One camera tended to have one or two more AF points lit compared to other (which happened to mine).
I'll now accept that some variation is normal - I was probably being too picky!

I don't know anything about these cameras, but if I were to compare two examples of the same model I'd do a factory reset on each to make sure all the settings were identical, I'd run the test several times (alternating the cameras), and I'd do it in well-controlled lighting from a fixed position on a tripod with the viewfinder centred on a specific target. If any difference remained, I'd try swapping the lenses.

@HantsPete You realise that just like with computers, two identical camera models, are likely to behave differently because, like with each computer user who opts to customise the computer settings, each photographers would have customised the camera's settings too?

An example would be you have two identical camera models with two identical lenses, but first camera could have its AF focusing points set differently compared to the other camera, because it is the photographer who may have changed the setting via the menu. One camera could have been set to like 7 points AF focusing, but the other camera could be set to 11 points focusing. (Well, I know that the Nikon D200 could have that setting, so chances are the Canon could have something similar.)

I would have to agree with @Retune that both of you would have to do a factory reset, so both cameras' settings would be the same, then test them.

It will be much easier to test out of Auto mode. Try TV, AV or M and make sure AF is setup the same in each camera. I would start off with just the center AF spot. Choose the same subject, move the lens out of focus and check both cameras.

Back