Affinity

One thing to note is your free updates will only last to V2. V1.9 released today.
I got my copy in a half price offer in 2015, still use it as my main ultimate PP engine today (not day-to-day PP, that's C1Pro no). Unless they increase the price hugely, I'll happily pay them for a version 2 update if, as @Retune points out, there's any significant benefit. This software has to be the bargain of the century!

I got my copy in a half price offer in 2015, still use it as my main ultimate PP engine today (not day-to-day PP, that's C1Pro no). Unless they increase the price hugely, I'll happily pay them for a version 2 update if, as @Retune points out, there's any significant benefit. This software has to be the bargain of the century!

More so then than now because you have had many updates over the term. Now its like buying a one off.

Reactions: TG.
Affinity should announce that 2.0 will only be available by subscription on April 1.

Their marketing team should consider it as an April Fool's prank, though, just to troll Adobe.

One thing I like about the Affinity licence is that it doesn't depend on online activation. Adobe have already killed the activation servers for the 'perpetual licences' of CS3 and earlier, and no longer provide activation-free alternative installers. So the old retail boxes are now worthless, even if you spent a couple of grand on the 'Master' editions. Affinity couldn't pull this sort of stunt even if they wanted to - you just need the licence key and the installer.

Reactions: TG.
I don't think we know if 1.9 will be followed by 2.0 or 1.10. But it's always safest to assume you won't be getting anything more than what comes with the software when you buy it (though there may be a few hints about updates in the 1.9.x beta section of their forum). Affinity 1.x is pretty mature at this point, so I don't get terribly excited about updates, but I guess for things like raw processing they may be important (I use other software for that, so it's not really a concern for me). Whether 2.0 will be worth a paid upgrade remains to be seen. I'd be surprised if there isn't a discount price at launch, or for existing users.
1.9 cant be followed by 1.10. 1.09 would be the designation to precede 1.10.

Well I think it's pretty good, since 2016 when I purchased it for £30 their has been no paid updates, so if I have to pay another £30 for version 2.0 I will consider that very fair in 5 years

Okay thought it better to post here than another thread but can do so if needed.

just downloaded the free 90day trial, and im having issues with extremely soft images, while editing. searching online I keep seeing people saying that its due to them applying zero sharpening, but don't this this can be the case.
the images on my a73 I can pixel peep the eye lashes on both the camera and raw on my mbp, put them into affinity and I can barely make out her eyes, putting the sliders for detail refinement just give an over sharpened blury mess.

any ideas?

Okay thought it better to post here than another thread but can do so if needed.

just downloaded the free 90day trial, and im having issues with extremely soft images, while editing. searching online I keep seeing people saying that its due to them applying zero sharpening, but don't this this can be the case.
the images on my a73 I can pixel peep the eye lashes on both the camera and raw on my mbp, put them into affinity and I can barely make out her eyes, putting the sliders for detail refinement just give an over sharpened blury mess.

any ideas?

90 day trial, thought it was 30. I'd uninstall it and then reinstall and try from there, it is nothing to do with zero sharpening, soft is soft is because it's not in focus so don't listen to that.

any ideas?
Images from raw files, or images in general?

any ideas?

I have said more than once when others are waxing lyrical about Affinity what a poor raw converter it is.
Presumably its advanced editing and effects features are the reasons people buy it.
When I converted the same raw file with several other software programs Affinity was easily the worst.

Last edited:
I have said more than once when others are waxing lyrical about Affinity what a poor raw converter it is.
Presumably its advanced editing and effects features are the reasons people buy it.
When I converted the same raw file with several other software programs Affinity was easily the worst.
Which raw converter would you recommend?
I've only ever used affinity, but would be interested to try some others and see if it makes a difference.

Which raw converter would you recommend?
I've only ever used affinity, but would be interested to try some others and see if it makes a difference.

My personal favourite is Photo Ninja, latest version has some nice new features.
Its purely a raw converter, no layers or erasing type tools, but includes the excellent Noise Ninja.
Might work well in conjunction with the advanced features of Affinity once the raw has been converted.
This chap seems to like it too https://www.andybellphotography.com/blog/2019/08/09/raw-converter-shootout-2019-2/
The newest version has up to date camera profiles so ignore what he says about the dng converter.

Last edited:
My personal favourite is Photo Ninja, latest version has some nice new features.
Its purely a raw converter, no layers or erasing type tools, but includes the excellent Noise Ninja.
Might work well in conjunction with the advanced features of Affinity once the raw has been converted.
Thanks,
I'll have a look....

There are free but surprisingly capable versions of Capture One Express for Fuji, Sony and Nikon:
Note that Capture One would like to upsell you to their paid products, so the installers double as time-limited demo installers for the full or camera-specific Capture One suites. You need to select the Express licence when you install to get the version that doesn't expire (though with more limited features).

Nikon also has Capture NX-D:
and Fuji has RFC:
The last two are based on Silkypix (both free).

I use one of these for Nikon or Fuji raw conversion in preference to Affinity (or ACR). Raw conversion feels like a bit of an afterthought with Affinity, but it's a much better editor than these converter packages offer, so they complement each other well.

There are free but surprisingly capable versions of Capture One Express for Fuji, Sony and Nikon:
Note that Capture One would like to upsell you to their paid products, so the installers double as time-limited demo installers for the full or camera-specific Capture One suites. You need to select the Express licence when you install to get the version that doesn't expire (though with more limited features).

Nikon also has Capture NX-D:
and Fuji has RFC:
The last two are based on Silkypix (both free).

I use one of these for Nikon or Fuji raw conversion in preference to Affinity (or ACR). Raw conversion feels like a bit of an afterthought with Affinity, but it's a much better editor than these converter packages offer, so they complement each other well.

Silkypix also do a Panasonic specific package, I find the editor on it to be very good and the raw converter works well too.
https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/ext/special/dsp10pana/

I bought the Panasonic version 9 and then got a great offer to upgrade to the all models non specific version 10 in the link

Last edited:

any ideas?

Not in any way doubting or arguing with either of you guys, but I "personally" have no issues whatsoever with the RAW conversions I get from Affinity both from my Fuji & Sony files.

Last edited:
Change of topic if that's OK... I have Affinity 1.9.0 via the Mac App Store. It's told me that 1.9.1 is available (free, yeah!), but every time I try to update, I get a spinning wheel and nothing else happens (literally, AFAICS, Activity Monitor shows no change in CPU, Disk or Network!).

Has anyone managed to upgrade via the App Store?

Change of topic if that's OK... I have Affinity 1.9.0 via the Mac App Store. It's told me that 1.9.1 is available (free, yeah!), but every time I try to update, I get a spinning wheel and nothing else happens (literally, AFAICS, Activity Monitor shows no change in CPU, Disk or Network!).

Hi Chris, my one updated fine. Try logging out of the App Store, back in and try downloading.

Som

Somebody fixed a similar problem last time by dragging the app to the trash, triggering a fresh install:

Chris, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever updating my version on my MacBook Pro.

That's what I'm using. I find it very good for what it is. It covers most of my needs. I know there are some open source ones around too. Raw Therapee springs to mind. I think I used it briefly. It seemed to have decent functions, but I didn't use it for long enough to gauge it properly.

Hi Chris, my one updated fine. Try logging out of the App Store, back in and try downloading.
Somebody fixed a similar problem last time by dragging the app to the trash, triggering a fresh install:

Thanks for these. I'd tried logging out of the App Store several times without result. Tried putting AP into the Trash, still only a spinning wheel.

Then, I remembered: my Mac has an intermittent problem where it does weird networking things when it has not been restarted for a while (where a while could be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks). Restarted, back in the App Store and Affinity Photo downloaded happily and is updated to 1.9.1!

Thanks everyone, for indirectly jogging my memory. It really helps to know this isn't a common problem!

"Well Pleased"

I use "Affinity Photo" on my iPad Pro and one thing that really annoyed was that Affinity (iPad version) would not open my Fuji-X files properly if they were Lossless Compressed which is something I do as try as I may I can see absolutely no difference whatsoever in the Uncompressed & the Lossless Compressed RAW files. If I tried to open a Lossless Compressed RAW file it would appear very magenta to the extent that I could not edit it out. Apparently it was something to do with the RAW engine on an iPad Pro that prevented this, but after today’s update to Affinity (iPad Version) they have changed the RAW engine that they were using to their own RAW engine and low & behold Fuji-X Lossless Compressed files now open perfectly. "VOILA" :) :)

"HEADS UP"

I meant to mention this yesterday, there is a new update to "Affinity Photo" both for Apple Mac & iPad (and probably windows) to version 1.9.2 with some very useful features on it.

"Well Pleased"

I use "Affinity Photo" on my iPad Pro and one thing that really annoyed was that Affinity (iPad version) would not open my Fuji-X files properly if they were Lossless Compressed which is something I do as try as I may I can see absolutely no difference whatsoever in the Uncompressed & the Lossless Compressed RAW files. If I tried to open a Lossless Compressed RAW file it would appear very magenta to the extent that I could not edit it out. Apparently it was something to do with the RAW engine on an iPad Pro that prevented this, but after today’s update to Affinity (iPad Version) they have changed the RAW engine that they were using to their own RAW engine and low & behold Fuji-X Lossless Compressed files now open perfectly. "VOILA" :) :)
George it comes as default afinity raw engine,I think before it defaulted to Apples raw, well I have same magenta from Canon cr2 files in apples raw engine in photos but the Fuji files are just fine.I’m thinking now if it’s the 14 bit file or something, got apple working on it right now,if you google magenta hue in apple photos it’s been an issue with some people over a few years

George it comes as default afinity raw engine,I think before it defaulted to Apples raw, well I have same magenta from Canon cr2 files in apples raw engine in photos but the Fuji files are just fine.I’m thinking now if it’s the 14 bit file or something, got apple working on it right now,if you google magenta hue in apple photos it’s been an issue with some people over a few years

Its strange though as Fuji-X compressed RAW files have always opened correctly using Affinity on my MacBook Pro. I'm just so pleased that they now open correctly on my iPad Pro.

"I'm sure there must be someone on here that knows how to do it"

I have downloaded the free version of "Nik Effects" software for the purpose of adding it to my "Affinity Photo" (Mac Version) software. But just how do you get it into the plugins or wherever it goes into Affinity?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I have the old Google Nik plugins working with Affinity on a PC. I don't have a Mac, but there are various sets of instructions for making this work, e.g.:

I have the old Google Nik plugins working with Affinity on a PC. I don't have a Mac, but there are various sets of instructions for making this work, e.g.:

Many thanks for that I'll give it a try later.

Its strange though as Fuji-X compressed RAW files have always opened correctly using Affinity on my MacBook Pro. I'm just so pleased that they now open correctly on my iPad Pro.
George is it because your macbook pro Afinity has default Serif raw engine?

Back