All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I removed that Pillows app on the series 2 watch and have the watch not charged since 38 hours ago. It is now at 49% battery life. I'm started to think apples quoted battery life of 18 hours is screen on or something. This is already good enough for me for a smart watch but we'll see how long it lasts.

They usually quote usage and standby for phones so it's odd they haven't done the same with the watch.

Does the watch have a screen brightness setting? That often makes a big difference if it's set at the lower end.

They usually quote usage and standby for phones so it's odd they haven't done the same with the watch.

Does the watch have a screen brightness setting? That often makes a big difference if it's set at the lower end.

It does. I have mine set to maximum.

I have no idea what mine is set too :) It is how it came out of the box, its is fine indoors, and absolutely fine outdoors as well in the sunshine.

I've just looked, it is at two out of three bars. I see no reason to turn it up. It might be that in combination with it being a series 2.

I have no idea what mine is set too :) It is how it came out of the box, its is fine indoors, and absolutely fine outdoors as well in the sunshine.

I've just looked, it is at two out of three bars. I see no reason to turn it up. It might be that in combination with it being a series 2.

I turned mine up in June when in Spain because the light in Southern Spain is much more intense than here. Obviously forgot to knock it back down to 2.

Yes I can imagine - a sunny day overhere doesn't come close to the sunshine over there. I'll have to wait a while to try that out, winter sports first :)

One thing for business iOS 10 users..

PPTP VPN has been removed from iOS 10, which okay may be a fairly niche usage having VPN connection direct on device. However, Apple have also removed the ability to PPTP VPN from another device through an iOS 10 hot spot.

Useful.

I literally just now got the low power warning and whether I'd like to switch to a power reserve mode. So basically 10% battery left.

That was a whopping 63 hours until that message came up since I've had it on charge. So basically 2 days and 15 hours. That is ok in my book, very good indeed and I won't worry about taking my charger with me for an overnighters or weekend away.

PPTP VPN has been removed from iOS 10, which okay may be a fairly niche usage having VPN connection direct on device. However, Apple have also removed the ability to PPTP VPN from another device through an iOS 10 hot spot.

Ran this through "Google Translate" no answer was available, tried Double Dutch still nothing ??

Ran this through "Google Translate" no answer was available, tried Double Dutch still nothing ??
The double Dutch translator worked for me :) it's just the English one that is failing as I don't find the update useful at all but perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken.

I've used the devices in some extremely secure communications in the past so removing this kind of capability is weird. First I've heard about it though.

One thing for business iOS 10 users..

Useful.

The double Dutch translator worked for me :) it's just the English one that is failing as I don't find the update useful at all but perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken.

I've used the devices in some extremely secure communications in the past so removing this kind of capability is weird. First I've heard about it though.

God it helps if I read properly, it's just the pptp implementation hence we didn't get any issues ;)

Yes no point keeping that into the code base and there was plenty of warning that this would happen.

Translated in simple terms; old, bad and insecure way of making a vpn connection.

I need coffee before I post :)

Yes no point keeping that into the code base and there was plenty of warning that this would happen.

Translated in simple terms; old, bad and insecure way of making a vpn connection.
was there? i wonder how many infrastructure teams got the memo :D

granted its a bit legacy but its not "that" bad using MSCHAPv2 and trusted RADIUS.

was there? i wonder how many infrastructure teams got the memo :D

granted its a bit legacy but its not "that" bad using MSCHAPv2 and trusted RADIUS.
If you give me the URL or IP address, permission to have some fun, and a couple of days I'll show you how bad it is :)

All this talk of battery life is purely related to individuals use of the watch/phone.tablet. Trying to claim several days use is absolutely useless if you're using it heavily.

All this talk of battery life is purely related to individuals use of the watch/phone.tablet. Trying to claim several days use is absolutely useless if you're using it heavily.
Firstly I'm not trying to claim. Merely reports factual actual ownership experience. Secondly stating something is useless without qualifying what you call heavily is rather pointless.

Why not report your your experience with the series 2 watch and include how you are using it?

True to a point but I definitely felt a drop between IOS 9 and 10, although I am on the beta so not sure if that makes a difference.

In comparison with my old Galaxy S5, it doesn't feel like The 6s battery is significantly better.

Apple proving their world class service again (at least to me). My 6s Plus is now just over a year old and I downloaded a battery test app that showed battery wear as being 20% which I thought seemed high as my older spare iPhone 6 only shows 3% wear on the same app.

Popped it into my local Apple Store yesterday to ask if they could check the wear more accurately, the guy connected the phone to their diagnostic test system and it gave the battery a green light, but their system flagged up some other undefined error, guy asked me to leave the phone for 30 minutes and they'd do a full test on it.

When I returned he said they couldn't find any problems but as the undefined error was showing on the diagnostics to be on the safe side he would just replace the phone. I walked out with a shiny new replacement for my just over a year old phone.

I doubt any other phone manufacturer or retailer would do the same.

Apple proving their world class service again (at least to me). My 6s Plus is now just over a year old and I downloaded a battery test app that showed battery wear as being 20% which I thought seemed high as my older spare iPhone 6 only shows 3% wear on the same app.

Popped it into my local Apple Store yesterday to ask if they could check the wear more accurately, the guy connected the phone to their diagnostic test system and it gave the battery a green light, but their system flagged up some other undefined error, guy asked me to leave the phone for 30 minutes and they'd do a full test on it.

When I returned he said they couldn't find any problems but as the undefined error was showing on the diagnostics to be on the safe side he would just replace the phone. I walked out with a shiny new replacement for my just over a year old phone.

I doubt any other phone manufacturer or retailer would do the same.
Being able to walk in and make an appointment and talk to a person would be a great start for other phone brands ;) It is a very good experience.

Itunes/Music and Icloud music are really trying my patience today. I have a smart playlist with 3000+ songs. On the iphone it's showing 10% of them. All the other playlists show up as complete with all the songs in whether the music is on the phone or not. If I use the remote app to connect to the appletv the same playlist has the correct 3000+ songs in it. Ditto the duplicate play list I created. So why isn't the phone showing up the correct number of songs???

I duplicated the playlist which appeared immediately on the phone so I know it isn't a sync issue but that was also showing the same wrong number of songs. Oddly it isn't showing the same songs. It's showing a different set. Are playlists suddenly limited to a tiny 4GB now? I've set it to have a minimum of 16GB of music downloaded. It's ignored that and stuck with 4GB. I turned off the optimised storage thing and it's the same. Still not showing a full play list for this last play list.

Most of the time it works fine but when it goes wrong it is the most infuriating piece of crap out there.

It's the playlist I use in the car so it's doubly annoying as the car won't use a usb stick that has AAC files on it even though that is the default for itunes anyway. BT audio is flaky as hell and much of the time it stops after doing a few tracks. Other car doesn't have BT audio so I can't find out whether it's just general iphone/ios crapness or whether it's down to the specific head unit being poor.

I now have no idea whether it does know the entire play list and is hiding it or it doesn't and is stuck with a tiny amount of what it should have.

Itunes and the music database system apple use really is the worst. It doesn't offer any kind of error message or explanation as to why it is completely inconsistent across devices.

Firstly I'm not trying to claim. Merely reports factual actual ownership experience. Secondly stating something is useless without qualifying what you call heavily is rather pointless.

Why not report your your experience with the series 2 watch and include how you are using it?

It's nothing to do with product and all to do with principles.

It's nothing to do with product and all to do with principles.
So what are you experiences? Have you actually got a series 2 watch? Would be great to get another perspective.

So what are you experiences? Have you actually got a series 2 watch? Would be great to get another perspective.

Not got a watch - consider them a waste after two friends had them and sold after a month! They did say they were quite hard on battery life but again that's totally subjective and I expect they were using them constantly. Might be like new OS on phones where it seems to turn things back on that you already turned off to save battery?

Not got a watch - consider them a waste after two friends had them and sold after a month! They did say they were quite hard on battery life but again that's totally subjective and I expect they were using them constantly. Might be like new OS on phones where it seems to turn things back on that you already turned off to save battery?
Never found the need on iOS devices to switch things on and off.

Never found the need on iOS devices to switch things on and off.

Certain apps seem to put a high demand on battery power according to the "experts"

In iOS you can see which apps they are. If you don't like it, delete it and use an alternative.

I don't have the problem. Was only suggesting it might be an issue for some who suffer fast battery drain

I don't have the problem. Was only suggesting it might be an issue for some who suffer fast battery drain
Have you actually got any Apple product? I mean you haven't got the series 2 watch and you seem to 'know' a lot about it. You seem to suggest to turn things back on that were off but questioned it is now apps that are draining rather than the OS turning things on/off. Have you got actually any first hand experience?

Have you actually got any Apple product? I mean you haven't got the series 2 watch and you seem to 'know' a lot about it. You seem to suggest to turn things back on that were off but questioned it is now apps that are draining rather than the OS turning things on/off. Have you got actually any first hand experience?

He doesn't even have a series 1 watch, he's just offering a second hand opinion from someone who didn't like their series 1 watch...

OK for the record I already said I don't have an Apple watch which I personally feel to be a huge waste of money. I do have iPod, iPhone, iPad Air, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro and 27" iMac. I think that allows me to talk about potential IOS battery drain issues. Why do you feel the need to be so arsey? I said it was second hand info in my previous post.

OK for the record I already said I don't have an Apple watch which I personally feel to be a huge waste of money. I do have iPod, iPhone, iPad Air, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro and 27" iMac. I think that allows me to talk about potential IOS battery drain issues. Why do you feel the need to be so arsey? I said it was second hand info in my previous post.
lol so I'm the arsey one when sharing actual experience? love it how it's always someone else ;)

In case people didn't realise. MARIO has been released on iOS exclusively yay ;) and it is free as well.

Looks fantastic on my iPhone 7+

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 7 when my contract runs out it makes sense as I've got an ipad and macbook pro
Will be a while yet but looking forward to ithe not had am iPhone before
One question tho when I load photos onto my ipad with itunes it resizes them and I guess the iPhone will do thesame
Can I use airdrop to load up folders of photos to ipad and iPhone instead so that I can keep the full sized versions?

I honestly don't know. I just sync using iCloud and that seems to preserve photo sizes.

Back