All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I honestly don't know. I just sync using iCloud and that seems to preserve photo sizes.
Thanks I'll try that
I havent looked at icloud yet but sounds like I ought to :)

Thanks I'll try that
I havent looked at icloud yet but sounds like I ought to :)

Big fan of iCloud.

200GB is £1.59 a month.

I can see my photos on my Macbook, iPad, iPhone and any PC from the iCloud website.

Works well for me and reasonably priced.

Turns out that I'm getting an iPhone sooner than I expected the screen on my Samsung s5 is playing up
I'm using my old s3 at the moment but tbe wifes sister is kindly giving me her old iphone 5 quite excited actually it will be my first iPhone
just got to get it unlocked and then sort out icloud then move everything over from the s3 to the iphone

Last edited:
One question how do you stop WhatsApp photos from being automatically transfered from iPhone to ipad
we use WhatsApp a lot for friends and family and send alot of pictures to each other and apparently all pictures from the iphone are sent to the ipad

EDIT ive found out how you can stop images being saved to the phone in WhatsApp

I don't want my ipad filled up with photos from WhatsApp tho
I'm getting my iPhone tomorrow

Last edited:
Evening all, could use a little help. I am looking to replace my ageing iPhone 5 as the battery is getting worse and the phone is starting to feel a little slow.

My problems (read struggling to decide) is as follows -

1. Weather to get a 6s or 6s+. Not sure if the plus would be too big or not, and just testing in the shop is tricky as I am not sure i could make a decision on 20 mins playing around, and the 6s/6s+ seem to be a decent price at the moment.
2. Weather i should bit the bullet and pay the extra little bit on top of the 6s/+ and get the 7 or 7+, is it worth it over a 6s/+?

I will guess that either will be a significant upgrade on my 5.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I have only ever had iPhones as smart phones and if honest i had seen John Lewis have a Galaxy S7 edge 32gb for £550 and storage is expandable with micro sd card, but I know nothing of android and realise I am asking about android in an apple thread.................

My advice, for what it`s worth is stay away from the Nightmare of the Samsung version of Android (I can hear the Samsung Police marching up the Drive already).

After the clean and tidy interface of Ios10 and a Phone that just get the job done Android is a pain in the you know what.

I for years stuck to Android through various Sony and Samsung Phones, Sony android is better than the Samsung version, I got so frustrated that I gave in and bought a Apple 6s.

Wow, everything just works, connected to my printer (Canon), my Car (Citroen) out of the Box, OK Itunes a bit of a fiddle but Hey Oh not a big problem.

With Android, set passwords, type in Numbers etc and hope it works and then try again and again.

So stick with what you got the (Android) grass may not be as green as you would hope.

My advice, for what it`s worth is stay away from the Nightmare of the Samsung version of Android (I can hear the Samsung Police marching up the Drive already).

After the clean and tidy interface of Ios10 and a Phone that just get the job done Android is a pain in the you know what.

I for years stuck to Android through various Sony and Samsung Phones, Sony android is better than the Samsung version, I got so frustrated that I gave in and bought a Apple 6s.

Wow, everything just works, connected to my printer (Canon), my Car (Citroen) out of the Box, OK Itunes a bit of a fiddle but Hey Oh not a big problem.

With Android, set passwords, type in Numbers etc and hope it works and then try again and again.

So stick with what you got the (Android) grass may not be as green as you would hope.

Thanks :) TBH, i think albeit I had passing thoughts about Android, I have been an iPhone user since the 3g. Like you say, it just works, iTunes agree is a fiddle sometimes but something that can be worked out with a little effort. I am not interested in "fiddling" with my phone, i just want it to work, make calls, use my apps, email, internet etc etc. Not interested in custom skins, launchers etc, doesn't float my boat anymore that kinda thing.

So the key question i guess is, 6s/+ or 7/+. Much difference? What would you go for if buying now to replace an ip5? On one hand the prices if the 6s/+ is a bit cheaper than the 7, is there tonnes of different? Or would it be wiser to buy the 7/+ as you can see, i don't tend to swap my phones every year. And the regular size vs plus is a tricky one for me.

I didn't have any difficulties with Samsung or passwords. One person's experience is not representative of everyone's. And people might think there is a genuine problem.
I'm not suggesting anyone buy a Samsung though, as it's not good to have a single company that is too dominant. But their product can't be that bad for them to become market leader.

Last edited:
My experience of IOS has certainly not been a "it just works" experience, I've had massive issues with my company iPhone ranging from app updates not working, mail sync issues and it's had to be factory reset MANY times.

My iPad has had few issues and generally not skipped a beat, the same can be said for my Nexus 5, so I wouldn't classify IOS any better or worse than Android in that respect.

Samsung have cleaned-up their act with the latest iterations though, the interface is nowhere near as cluttered or laggy!

Watch OS 3.1.3 arrived last night.

It seems to have had a beneficial effect on battery life, taken off charge this morning and it's currently on 77%.

Watch OS 3.1.3 arrived last night.

It seems to have had a beneficial effect on battery life, taken off charge this morning and it's currently on 77%.
What sort of usage, Dave? What were you getting before the update?

I get to around 10pm with 72% anyway, so just wondering if I'd see a drastic improvement.

Last edited:
What sort of usage, Dave? What were you getting before the update?

I get to around 10pm with 72% anyway, so just wondering if I'd see a drastic improvement.

All notifications are on, raise to wake on, no changes to try and save battery. It's around 20% better over 2 days, I used to finish day 2 at around 10-15% left, after the update it's at around 30-35% when it goes onto the charger.

Has anyone noticed an issue with their iphone not ringing for calls and the caller being sent straight to voicemail more often? Mine is doing it nearly all the time. If the phone is locked the person is sent to voicemail. DND is off. It's also set to all through calls from contacts anyway so they should still make the phone ring even if it were on. Sometimes a repeated call gets through and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm sure it wasn't an issue when I was on Giffgaff but now I'm on plusnet (EE) it's useless. I'm missing loads of calls and they're not being logged in the call log and the voicemail logo is often not appearing on the phone so I have no idea I've been called.

I don't know whether it is a plusnet issue or an apple issue. Since switching I did notice it was ages and ages before I could even call my own number and have it ring on the phone so for all I know it could be a specific plusnet/EE issue only.

In all the years I've had a mobile phone, I never activated voicemail. It's wonderful! You might like it.

Last edited:
Voicemail is off. Now the phone rings but there is a noticeable delay and change of outgoing ring when you try it. There's definitely something odd with it.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

Well the new iPad Pros are upon us, anyone got one?

I've got a 10.5 turning up tomorrow (although I'm currently in the US so can't get my hands on it until next week...), upgrading from an iPad 3, so I'm expecting to be blown away. Initial reviews seem very promising.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

I got a 10.5 on Tuesday upgrading from a mini retina (before it was rebranded Mini 2) it's a great device really impressed with the pencil also. Sure it's expensive for a stylus but I'm impressed all the same.

Does anyone know a way that I can have all my albums from photos in my mac sync to my other devices without the camera roll from my phone doing the same?
I also got Affinity whilst it's on sale. I don't use photoshop enough to make a subscription worthwhile.
I don't take decent photos with it and it just fills up with screen shots and memes, seems a pain to have to delete them off all the devices individually.
I haven't really used much of iCloud before now but being heavily invested in the Eco system now seems like the perfect time to use it.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="danny842003, post: 7858225, member: 58090"
Does anyone know a way that I can have all my albums from photos in my mac sync to my other devices without the camera roll from my phone doing the same?
[/QUOTE]
Isn't it just a case of turning off Photostream and iCloud in Settings/Photos and Camera on the iPhone?

[QUOTE="danny842003, post: 7858225, member: 58090"
Isn't it just a case of turning off Photostream and iCloud in Settings/Photos and Camera on the iPhone?[/QUOTE]

If I then lose my phone will my phone back up have saved any photos I did have on it? Although most are just rubbish I want to make sure I know to transfer anything that would get lost if its of any value.

Isn't it just a case of turning off Photostream and iCloud in Settings/Photos and Camera on the iPhone?

If I then lose my phone will my phone back up have saved any photos I did have on it? Although most are just rubbish I want to make sure I know to transfer anything that would get lost if its of any value.
You can set up Dropbox to save all your iPhone photos - cant remember if it syncs or just saves new ones but you can save the existing ones directly to Dropbox I'm sure.

Last edited:
Got a new 12.9 on Tuesday, and I like it a lot. :)

I am having a slight technical issue however, google maps street view isn't as fluid as on my 9.7. I can't decide if it's a bug, or if it's the fact it takes longer to load due to the screen size. If anybody has any input that would be good.

Looks like the new iPhones may be launched next month. I might be tempted to change my phone. Be interesting to see what they come out with. Lots of alleged leaks on the web.

Better battery life is what usually attracts me to a new model or an amazing camera.

Looks like the new iPhones may be launched next month. I might be tempted to change my phone. Be interesting to see what they come out with. Lots of alleged leaks on the web.

also considering it, I'm back on my old iPhone 6 after I sold my 6s Plus a couple of months ago so a 7S or whatever they decide to call the smaller version is likely for me.

I'm considering the new iPhone when it comes out, or if I'm hard for cash, maybe a cheap iPhone 7 when everybody wants to get the latest phone. The payment's between friends in the new iOS really looks cool!!

Just out of interest has anyone tried calibrating their iPad or iPhone with colormunki ?
I recently bought one from the classifieds on here to do my PC and MacBook and while I was at it did my iPad
It was very easy to calibrate the iPad just plug the colourmunki in a USB port on my pc and then the iPad picks up the colormunki on wifi
Just need apple to make iCloud compatible with the colormunki app to be able to view the photos on iCloud colormunki calibrated
I haven't bothered calibrated my iPhone 5 yet tho the screen is too small to be worth it

So this time tomorrow we'll know all about the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus and the iPhone X.
Looks like a new Apple Watch option too, as well as updated Apple TV with 4K capability.

So this time tomorrow we'll know all about the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus and the iPhone X.
Looks like a new Apple Watch option too, as well as updated Apple TV with 4K capability.

Not much left to reveal surely! Everything else has leaked via details in firmware.

I personally think the most interesting thing they've done in ages was AR, which looks great for a mobile device, but it's no Hololens

And our company iPhones have been freezing randomly recently (screen off, no response, requires hard-reset), iPhone 5s so not a recent model but still...

Can anyone recommend non-Apple watch straps please - looking to get a couple, probably 1 leather & 1 other (non metal) - lots out there but looking for decent quality.

iPhone 8 or plus might be on my shopping list. Depends on what battery life is like.

iPhone 8 or plus might be on my shopping list. Depends on what battery life is like.

Same here, 32mb is too small for me so getting a 128gb 7 is only £50 less than getting a 64gb 8.

Disappointed with the watch - had my 2 for a good year, maybe a year and a half but the cellular feature is very appealing!!!

Disappointed with the watch - had my 2 for a good year, maybe a year and a half but the cellular feature is very appealing!!!

If by 2 you mean a series 2 you couldn’t have quite had it for a year yet, it only launched on the 16th of September last year ;)

By the way, you know the cellular will only work with EE at present?

If by 2 you mean a series 2 you couldn’t have quite had it for a year yet, it only launched on the 16th of September last year ;)

By the way, you know the cellular will only work with EE at present?

Ok. Almost a year. Only in ee makes me feel better as in 3!

iOS 11 is now available to all and sundry. No sign of watchOS 4 yet though.

Back