All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I know the transfer question has probably been answered, and the termination of iTunes has been mentioned, but I just wanted to add that you can back up iPads and iPhones to a Mac, plug your device in with an appropriate cable and it should appear as a device in the finder side bar. From there you get all the things you used to get in iTunes, backups, choosing what to sync etc.

edited for yet more auto-corrupt

Last edited:
Hey Richard, many thanks for that its very much appreciated.

I will still have the "7 Plus" as I buy my cell phones outright and just pay for a sim card contract. Sorry to sound blank but what "magic circle" etc are we talking about and how or where do I find it ?

I'll obviously still need to do a back up so the question re iCloud storage that I asked I still need to find out about.

George.
George it sounds like you aren’t backing everything up to iCloud, check your settings and you’ll probably see your photos etc. aren’t backed up.

Does anyone know when an update of the Mac mini’s will likely happen?
If you mean a new model, they have only just released one in July so normally not any time soon. However they did supply to developers Mac minis with Apple chip instead of Intel so maybe sooner. The next AppleEvent is 17 th November.

George it sounds like you aren’t backing everything up to iCloud, check your settings and you’ll probably see your photos etc. aren’t backed up.

Thanks for that Pete, but I don't actually back up my snaps etc to iCloud just a few that I want to work on. All I want to do is when I get my new cell phone is to transfer everything including all the apps etc from my old "iPhone 7 Plus" to my new "iPhone 12 Pro Max" when I get it.

When I've changed iPhones before I just made a back up via iTunes on my old windows PC and then installed that back up to the new phone and it was job done.

I don't keep all my snaps on iCloud, just a few that I'm working on. They are all kept on three external hard drives that are kept in separate places.

George.

Thanks for that Pete, but I don't actually back up my snaps etc to iCloud just a few that I want to work on. All I want to do is when I get my new cell phone is to transfer everything including all the apps etc from my old "iPhone 7 Plus" to my new "iPhone 12 Pro Max" when I get it.

When I've changed iPhones before I just made a back up via iTunes on my old windows PC and then installed that back up to the new phone and it was job done.

I don't keep all my snaps on iCloud, just a few that I'm working on. They are all kept on three external hard drives that are kept in separate places.

George.
Phew! I thought for a moment your photos weren’t backed up — which didn’t make sense. I don’t know the answer to your question about 75gb to 50gb storage, I suppose it depends what the 75gb is. It presumably includes the OS which doesn’t need backing up. You probably should look in Settings at what is taking up the space and you may be able to delete stuff. I‘m pretty sure you could back it all up on the computer in iTunes on Windows or Files on the Mac instead or in addition to iCloud.

Phew! I thought for a moment your photos weren’t backed up — which didn’t make sense. I don’t know the answer to your question about 75gb to 50gb storage, I suppose it depends what the 75gb is. It presumably includes the OS which doesn’t need backing up. You probably should look in Settings at what is taking up the space and you may be able to delete stuff. I‘m pretty sure you could back it all up on the computer in iTunes on Windows or Files on the Mac instead or in addition to iCloud.

Many thanks for that Richard.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you a little sooner but I needed to leave for work today at 04.00 the latest as I wanted to be there by about 06.15 so I needed to get my head down a little sharpish last night.

As I said in my last post all I need to transfer from one cell phone to the new one will be the "apps" that I have purchased and anything else that I have added to them ie notes, diary entries etc, contacts, and of course any music that I have stored on my phone. Snaps are all stored on external hard drives with as mentioned just a few in iCloud that I may want to work on but of coarse those too are backed up on the external hard drives.

Many thanks for all your help.,

George.

I think you will find that the job has moved on somewhat since then. I would definitely do a full cloud back up before starting to change things over and for the future its got to be worth getting a bit of extra capacity in the cloud as these things tend to have a tendency to need more and more storage. In the big scheme of things a few quid a month to ensure you never need to “delete a few old ones” before you can take the next one is worth it.

I think you will find that the job has moved on somewhat since then. I would definitely do a full cloud back up before starting to change things over and for the future its got to be worth getting a bit of extra capacity in the cloud as these things tend to have a tendency to need more and more storage. In the big scheme of things a few quid a month to ensure you never need to “delete a few old ones” before you can take the next one is worth it.

Thank you kindly Tony, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

Last edited:
Apple One has now launched.

It still says “coming soon” on the website, but if you go into “subscriptions” in your Apple ID, you’ll see the options to choose from there. For what I was paying for Apple Music and Apple TV, I now get Apple Arcade for no extra cost.

Most of that is attributed to use of the 5G & can be toggled off.

But isn’t that making a compromise that you shouldn’t have to make? I mean, the major part of the announcement was 5G, which is ironic given that in order to use 5G you have to put up with poor battery-life, as claimed by many reviewers.

I was also just watching the review of the 12 Pro, battery is even worse and there’s not many real-world benefits apparently. 12 Pro Max is supposedly the game-changer. Interesting watch anyway..

MKBHD - iPhone 12 Pro Review

Ok possibly slightly off topic but I have just got a Apple Watch 3.
As I am a roofer I would like to get a screen protector is there any particular type anyone would recommend please.

But isn’t that making a compromise that you shouldn’t have to make? I mean, the major part of the announcement was 5G, which is ironic given that in order to use 5G you have to put up with poor battery-life, as claimed by many reviewers.

I was also just watching the review of the 12 Pro, battery is even worse and there’s not many real-world benefits apparently. 12 Pro Max is supposedly the game-changer. Interesting watch anyway..

MKBHD - iPhone 12 Pro Review
Unfortunately the Qualcomm X55 modem (5G) chipset in the new iPhone 12's isn't that efficient when it comes to battery life, I suspect next years iPhone will get the better version and we'll see battery performance leveling off.

I'll probably have to change one or two things as well, the main one being my "DJI Osmo 3" gimbal as the new cell phone just might be a little too heavy for it to operate smoothly. I'll obviously try it first but I don't really mind if it doesn't take it as it would be a perfect excuse to get the later "DJI Osmo 4" gimbal which has got stronger motors and a higher working payload.

George.
Hi George,

hope you are well,
I am not 100% sure but I have seen online that the new DJI Osmo 4 is NOT compatible with the new iPhone 12 / 12 Pro designs (due to the square edges).
I am pretty sure DJI will release a updated version supporting the iPhone 12 / 12 Pro;s square design and using the MagSafe lock to attached it.
I would wait it out on the gimbal front ;)

Hi George,

hope you are well,
I am not 100% sure but I have seen online that the new DJI Osmo 4 is NOT compatible with the new iPhone 12 / 12 Pro designs (due to the square edges).
I am pretty sure DJI will release a updated version supporting the iPhone 12 / 12 Pro;s square design and using the MagSafe lock to attached it.
I would wait it out on the gimbal front ;)

Hi Riz, Many thanks for that matey.

I hadn't seen anything about that but I'd intended to hang on anyway until I've actually got the new "IPhone 12 Pro Max". In the meantime I have actually tried my "DJI Osmo 3" with my current "iPhone 7 Plus" with weights added to bring it up to slightly more than the published weight of the "12 Pro Max" and it worked just fine with no vibration or noise from the motors. I also added some card to the front & back of my 7 Plus to slightly larger than the published dimensions of the "12 Pro Max" and there was plenty of room for it to operate correctly. So I may not need to change the "Osmo 3" after all.

George.

Hi Riz, Many thanks for that matey.

I hadn't seen anything about that but I'd intended to hang on anyway until I've actually got the new "IPhone 12 Pro Max". In the meantime I have actually tried my "DJI Osmo 3" with my current "iPhone 7 Plus" with weights added to bring it up to slightly more than the published weight of the "12 Pro Max" and it worked just fine with no vibration or noise from the motors. I also added some card to the front & back of my 7 Plus to slightly larger than the published dimensions of the "12 Pro Max" and there was plenty of room for it to operate correctly. So I may not need to change the "Osmo 3" after all.

George.
I am looking to go down the iPhone 12 Pro / Pro Max route at some point.
Selling off all of my Fuij X100V gear :eek: in the meantime.

I am looking to go down the iPhone 12 Pro / Pro Max route at some point.
Selling off all of my Fuij X100V gear :eek: in the meantime.

Heaven forbid !!! :):):)

@Fuji Dave mentioned to me that he'd just bought the new "iPhone 12 Pro" and I said to him that I had treated my Ma & Pa to one each last weekend.

Now I've gotta tell you that these things are on the next level with regards to cell phone photography capabilities, I've tried my Pa's unit a couple of times and the quality of results that these things can push out is nothing short of outstanding. I just don't know how they manage to get so much detail into both highlights & shadows in a single snap in really contrasty lighting. Obviously some sort of software enhancement going on within the cell phone, but I for one certainly don't care how it does it I'm only interested in the final results.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading to the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" when it becomes available from my ageing "iPhone 7 Plus" (not long to wait now). I expect it will be quite an improvement as four years down the line with modern technology is quite a long time.

George.

@Fuji Dave mentioned to me that he'd just bought the new "iPhone 12 Pro" and I said to him that I had treated my Ma & Pa to one each last weekend.

Now I've gotta tell you that these things are on the next level with regards to cell phone photography capabilities, I've tried my Pa's unit a couple of times and the quality of results that these things can push out is nothing short of outstanding. I just don't know how they manage to get so much detail into both highlights & shadows in a single snap in really contrasty lighting. Obviously some sort of software enhancement going on within the cell phone, but I for one certainly don't care how it does it I'm only interested in the final results.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading to the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" when it becomes available from my ageing "iPhone 7 Plus" (not long to wait now). I expect it will be quite an improvement as four years down the line with modern technology is quite a long time.

George.
I think (not sure) they are taking multiple shots & ‘combining’ them. I remember seeing an account of the iPhone (not these & no doubt Androids too) that had ridiculously short shutter times and thought the only use could be for multi exposures of some sort.

George.

I’ll be ordering mine tomorrow and will be giving it a good test using the various cameras.

Ok all a friend asked me some advice but I couldn’t assist as I use Spotify.
He has a 1st generation SE and plugs it into his motorbike for music etc.
He would like to know how he could go about getting his music from cd’s onto it.
I don’t think he is wanting to pay for something to do it.
thanks in advance.

Has anyone used the mafrotto phone holder for taking selfies and videos im thinking of getting one or simialer if you guys have any better ideas thanks

New MacBooks announced today. New M1 chip. Would love to know in plain English though how unified ram is different to normal ram and if it’s so much better how come the 2.0ghz i5 intel older model (albeit with 16gb ram rather than 8gb) is still £300 more?

New MacBooks announced today. New M1 chip. Would love to know in plain English though how unified ram is different to normal ram and if it’s so much better how come the 2.0ghz i5 intel older model (albeit with 16gb ram rather than 8gb) is still £300 more?
And Mac Mini. I missed that about “unified RAM”. I believe the RAM is on the M1 chip.. MacOS Big Sur out too next week.

Very nice improvement in the speed of processing and the battery life, but 16GB max RAM? 512GB max storage? Only 2 Thunderbolt ports? I'm now pleased that I decided to go with twice the amount of each of those in the Intel version. But it would be nice to see an improved spec, maybe this time next year.

Very nice improvement in the speed of processing and the battery life, but 16GB max RAM? 512GB max storage? Only 2 Thunderbolt ports? I'm now pleased that I decided to go with twice the amount of each of those in the Intel version. But it would be nice to see an improved spec, maybe this time next year.
I expect you are quoting the Mini or Air, but it’s 32GB in the Pro. I agree anyway with the usual complaints about Apple crippling replacements/additions.

I expect you are quoting the Mini or Air, but it’s 32GB in the Pro. I agree anyway with the usual complaints about Apple crippling replacements/additions.
I’m talking rubbish as usual :(. It is 16GB max -- It’s confusing that both old & new are on the ”Buy” page :(.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book matey, can't wait to hear all about it. "ENJOY".

George.

Well, no, we dont want him to enjoy it and then post about how good it is do we, otherwise we will lust over one and get one! I hope he says its rubbish! ;)

Back