All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I have an 8 plus at the moment. It's a monster. The screen real estate on the 12 mini is similar and a higher resolution and it's much smaller physically.

I assume the cables with it let you plug in an existing lightening charger and charge the 12s?

Yes. Looks like it. Similarly, I have Qi charger dotted around the house, and had been able to charging and using lightning for audio. Their new iPhone Magsafe looks to work the same way as Qi, just quicker and more reliable.

My wife has a 8 plus, it's great. I'm thinking to upgrade her to 12 or 11 plus max whatever its name. Eitherway, it's going to be loads of money spent on Apple in the coming months.

I've been looking at the blurb on the new "iPhones" that were announced yesterday as I'm ready to upgrade from my "iPhone 7 Plus". I shall without a doubt go for the "12 Pro Max", the specs of these things look amazing. It seems to me that Apple are really going for it with regards to their photography side of things, with the Pro Max not only having three rear facing cameras but also having a 2.5 optical zoom on the longer 56mm camera/lens.

George.

One of the guys at work is going for the new biggun, and has found a nice way to keep the price down. Interest free credit for 2 years, from Apple, and then get a sim only deal. Which reduces his outlay by about £25 pm. Not a bad route, for those who cant fork out that amount of cash in one hit.

One of the guys at work is going for the new biggun, and has found a nice way to keep the price down. Interest free credit for 2 years, from Apple, and then get a sim only deal. Which reduces his outlay by about £25 pm. Not a bad route, for those who cant fork out that amount of cash in one hit.

And don’t forget you can trade in a phone against the cost of the new one.

Is it possible to create a link to a file in ios?
I use things as my todo list and would like to add a link in the task notes to a scan I have in a Files.

Is it possible to create a link to a file in ios?
I use things as my todo list and would like to add a link in the task notes to a scan I have in a Files.
See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph17f9f92a6/ios

it says you can, though it’s speaking of sharing link with others but the principle should be the same. I haven’t tried it and I’m not sure what you are doing. If your to do list is in Notes then you could put the scan in notes too.

Edit, I just realised you to do list is probably in Reminders :(.

Just tried it and one can link a file to a Note (in Notes!) . Linking to Reminders wasn’t offered as fas a I could see :(.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what “things” refers to here :(.

Apologies. Things refers to Things by Cultured Code.

But that part is not really relevant. I just want to create a link to a file and paste that link in another app so I can click on it to open the file.
I was hoping that copy in the share menu would create a link but no such luck.

I tried this recently with Notes without any success. But Microsoft OneNote can do it easily. Probably not the solution you're looking for, though.
But it works with Notes (as I mentioned, above). I Shared a Pages document to a Note and it put a link in that opened the document within Notes to read or edit, seems to work perfectly, on iPadOS 14.

But that part is not really relevant. I just want to create a link to a file and paste that link in another app so I can click on it to open the file.
That’s exactly the way it works with Notes via Share (not Copy) whether you can Share to another app it no doubt depends on the app :(.

Things Support FAQ produced this:
1603142381682.jpeg
so it looks unlikely at present :(.

If you Share a File and choose ”on the Cloud” (or simila) and then email the link (to yourself in this case) the link that is produced can be copied and pasted into other apps and open the original document in its current state. Whether it works in Things I don’t know :(.

If you Share a File and choose ”on the Cloud” (or simila) and then email the link (to yourself in this case) the link that is produced can be copied and pasted into other apps and open the original document in its current state. Whether it works in Things I don’t know :(.
It does! Thank you.

So did anyone order the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro?

Not as yet but I certainly will be going for an "iPhone 12 Pro Max" just as soon as they become available. Upgrading from my getting old "iPhone 7 Plus".

George.

That’s what I’m waiting for too.

I'll probably have to change one or two things as well, the main one being my "DJI Osmo 3" gimbal as the new cell phone just might be a little too heavy for it to operate smoothly. I'll obviously try it first but I don't really mind if it doesn't take it as it would be a perfect excuse to get the later "DJI Osmo 4" gimbal which has got stronger motors and a higher working payload.

George.

Not as yet but I certainly will be going for an "iPhone 12 Pro Max" just as soon as they become available. Upgrading from my getting old "iPhone 7 Plus".

George.

My one treat to myself (and I really don’t have many) is to upgrade my phone every few years. I had 3G, then a 5 and then after months of deliberation got the 7 plus which never felt anything like as big as it did when I first got to handle one in the Apple shop months before.

Since then my kids have all got “bigger and better” but I really have struggled to see enough differences to tempt me.

The 12 Pro Max might just do it but going to wait for real world reviews in the camera before I commit.

I was tempted by the 12, but having seen the poor battery-life results today I think I'll go get an 11 at a lower price point

Most of that is attributed to use of the 5G & can be toggled off.

I upgraded from a 6S to an XR almost 2 years ago & have not decided what to do; I might just keep the XR another year as it is still holding it's charge. I shall decide after I see what is on offer around Black Friday.... could be an 11, 12, or 12 Mini if I decide to change.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

I'm going to be getting the new "iPhone 12 Pro Max" just as soon as it becomes available, so I will need to transfer everything from my "iPhone 7 Plus".

Now when I've transferred everything before from iPhone to iPhone I've done it via a back up on a windows PC via iTunes. I'm now using a MacBook Pro and there is no iTunes so I'm wondering what the best way to back up everything is.

I've been told from Stormfront that it can be done via iCloud which I'm quite happy with but what I need to know is do I need the same amount of available space on my iCloud a/c as the amount of used space on my "iPhone 7 Plus" or is the back up heavily compressed. At the moment I get 50gb of iCloud storage with only about 5gb of the storage used, and have used about 75gb of iPhone space so if it is heavily compressed when creating a back up how can I work out the amount of iCloud storage I will need.

Many thanks for any help that can be offered.

George.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

I'm going to be getting the new "iPhone 12 Pro Max" just as soon as it becomes available, so I will need to transfer everything from my "iPhone 7 Plus".

Now when I've transferred everything before from iPhone to iPhone I've done it via a back up on a windows PC via iTunes. I'm now using a MacBook Pro and there is no iTunes so I'm wondering what the best way to back up everything is.

I've been told from Stormfront that it can be done via iCloud which I'm quite happy with but what I need to know is do I need the same amount of available space on my iCloud a/c as the amount of used space on my "iPhone 7 Plus" or is the back up heavily compressed. At the moment I get 50gb of iCloud storage with only about 5gb of the storage used, and have used about 75gb of iPhone space so if it is heavily compressed when creating a back up how can I work out the amount of iCloud storage I will need.

Many thanks for any help that can be offered.

George.
If you still have you 7 plus whe you get the new phone you just put it near the new one and it offers to collect everything from the old one. You hold the camera up and show it the ’magic circle’ on the old one and away it goes. Have to keep the old one nearby. Bluetooth I think. An ipad will do instead if it has the stuff on. Back up the old one first of course.

If you still have you 7 plus whe you get the new phone you just put it near the new one and it offers to collect everything from the old one. You hold the camera up and show it the ’magic circle’ on the old one and away it goes. Have to keep the old one nearby. Bluetooth I think. An ipad will do instead if it has the stuff on. Back up the old one first of course.

Hey Richard, many thanks for that its very much appreciated.

I will still have the "7 Plus" as I buy my cell phones outright and just pay for a sim card contract. Sorry to sound blank but what "magic circle" etc are we talking about and how or where do I find it ?

I'll obviously still need to do a back up so the question re iCloud storage that I asked I still need to find out about.

George.

Last edited:
Hey Richard, many thanks for that its very much appreciated.

I will still have the "7 Plus" as I buy my cell phones outright and just pay for a sim card contract. Sorry to sound blank but what "magic circle" etc are we talking about and how or where do I find it ?

I'll obviously still need to do a back up so the question re iCloud storage that I asked I still need to find out about.

George.
Don’t worry, you don’t need to ‘find’ anything the instructions on both phones are very clear. A shimmering blue circle comes up on the old phone and you hold in a frame (very brief) in the camera on the new one. Just like scanning those square code thingies :). I presume it contains some information.

When you switch on a new or wiped phone (including at least back to first SE) it detects nearby phones/iPads and asks if you want to use one of them to transfer stuff. There’s some alternative choices such as mixing in the latest backup on Wi-Fi.

Don’t worry, you don’t need to ‘find’ anything the instructions on both phones are very clear. A shimmering blue circle comes up on the old phone and you hold in a frame (very brief) in the camera on the new one. Just like scanning those square code thingies :). I presume it contains some information.

When you switch on a new or wiped phone (including at least back to first SE) it detects nearby phones/iPads and asks if you want to use one of them to transfer stuff. There’s some alternative choices such as mixing in the latest backup on Wi-Fi.

Many thanks for all of that Richard, I'm sure it'll be a big help to me.

George.

So did anyone order the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro?
Might sell my Xs on here and upgrade to an 11. Never really been one to buy the newest shiniest all singing and all dancing gadget. I usually wait a year or two till the price has dropped :)

Might sell my Xs on here and upgrade to an 11. Never really been one to buy the newest shiniest all singing and all dancing gadget. I usually wait a year or two till the price has dropped :)

I’d say moving from XS to 11 is a downgrade in some ways. I think you’d really notice the move from an OLED screen to an LCD one.

I’d say moving from XS to 11 is a downgrade in some ways. I think you’d really notice the move from an OLED screen to an LCD one.
Having just looked at tech specs, I see you're right. I'd assumed the 11 would be better in most ways but the XS looks a superior phone. I'd not realised the 11 was a slight downgrade, especially on the screen. Oh well, looks like I'll be sticking with the XS until I can afford the 12.

Having just looked at tech specs, I see you're right. I'd assumed the 11 would be better in most ways but the XS looks a superior phone. I'd not realised the 11 was a slight downgrade, especially on the screen. Oh well, looks like I'll be sticking with the XS until I can afford the 12.

The 11 was the newer version of the XR, the newer version of the XS was the 11 Pro.

The 11 was the newer version of the XR, the newer version of the XS was the 11 Pro.
Thanks for that. I'd only considered the 11 because of the ridiculously cheap deal my network provider was offering, I see why now, I bet the 11pro is considerably more expensive.

Guys, I need to download Itunes to reset an iPad (dreaded connect to iTunes message has appeared) but I cannot download a version that seems to work for my mac version; I'm on Catalina.. but every time I have downloaded iTunes it says not compatible.. am I missing a trick here?

Guys, I need to download Itunes to reset an iPad (dreaded connect to iTunes message has appeared) but I cannot download a version that seems to work for my mac version; I'm on Catalina.. but every time I have downloaded iTunes it says not compatible.. am I missing a trick here?
Yes there is no iTunes for Catalina, Your iPad will connect to finder which will do a similar job .

Back