All things related to Apple phones & tablets

If you can only run Catalina on a Mac are photos, iMessage, notes, reminders etc still going to work across iOS and macosx still after upgrading to ios14? My Mac is too old to go beyond Catalina. Sometimes they get broken if you're not on the latest of everything.

If you can only run Catalina on a Mac are photos, iMessage, notes, reminders etc still going to work across iOS and macosx still after upgrading to ios14? My Mac is too old to go beyond Catalina. Sometimes they get broken if you're not on the latest of everything.
That was the problem I had with iOS 13 and Mohave and iOS 12 devices when I installed the public beta of 13. The worst was the new Reminders app that (from memory) wiped all the old Reminders. There seemed to be some other syncing glitches (Apple Mail I remember) but I couldn’t pin those down.

I ran iOS 13 on ’spare’ ipad & iPhone for a couple of weeks and didn’t see any glitches with iOS 13 or Catalina. Of course, there aren’t any radically new versions of old apps this time but obviously it could happen in the future. I’m also stuck with Catalina on my Mac mini.

As mentioned elsewhere I have recently acquired an iPhone 8 and have in the last few days taken several images with it. I am struggling to find a way of transferring my images from the phone to the PC as I prefer to do any editing required on here. I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some hints as to how to do it easily and quickly. I have done it once but it was so complicated and, would you believe, I've forgotten what I did.

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Photosync?

Actually 14.2 (public beta) is out too, installing now (14.2 not 14.02!).

Also macOS Catalina 10.15.7

This new software seemed good for my X, but its literally been so buggy over the past week or so. Apps freezing, phone totally freezing, and literally having to be forced off, or when you pull down to look for apps the whole screen goes blurry.. So annoying when you need it in that moment of total stress!!

FCPX got updated too. Now it crashes randomly.

Keyboard input has gone hiccupy. Quite often you can start typing and nothing appears and then several words all do. Didn't used to be as bad as this. The Lock/unlock Screen also freezes so it won't unlock. Have to shut iPad cover and reopen it.

Keyboard input has gone hiccupy. Quite often you can start typing and nothing appears and then several words all do. Didn't used to be as bad as this. The Lock/unlock Screen also freezes so it won't unlock. Have to shut iPad cover and reopen it.
I’ve had this on occasion in iPadOS 13 and maybe even 12. Not sure what causes it :(

I think it's resources and task switching. It seems to give the impression the app at the front is ready before it actually is.

icloud mail server outgoing has not been working (for me in iOS/iPadOS) for 24 hours. Mails seem to go but then reappear in outbox, using various mail clients. Can receive stuff though.

There was an outage this week affecting Apple (including iCloud mail) and Microsoft today knocking out Outlook on everything (I think), and Google earlier.

Odd.

Edit to add, not sure much it covers but just tried it out in London and it’s streets ahead (sorry!) of Google Street View :)

Last edited:
it’s streets ahead (sorry!) of Google Street View :)

Certainly is. Have you found the new Flyover feature yet? I believe it allows you to fly over the terrain (rather than guiding you to the nearest flyover :)). I thought it might be in Satellite View but can't see it there.

Edit As you were. I found it.

Last edited:
Certainly is. Have you found the new Flyover feature yet? I believe it allows you to fly over the terrain (rather than guiding you to the nearest flyover :)). I thought it might be in Satellite View but can't see it there.

Edit As you were. I found it.

Flyover was launched a long time ago.

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

Hmm. I was losing GPS maps of activity, so I followed some advice and reset the phone and restored it, then reset the watch and restored it.

The phone started off in a hell boot-loop, and that required a text chat with Apple to fix. Now none of my App pages apart from the first two are showing - although all the apps are there on the phone.

And, finally, the GPS maps of activity haven't been restored, and new ones aren't being saved either..

Last edited:
Maybe, but what is hidden, and why should it be switched on (if that is what happened) after a software update?

In previous versions of iOS, all of your apps are on one of the home screens. In iOS 14 they can be on a home screen or not, but they're always in the App Library. When you upgrade, your existing app icons are left on the same home screens they were originally on and you can choose to leave them where they are, or remove them from the screen but leave them in the App Library. When you install new apps, you can have their icons placed on a home screen plus in the App Library, or just in the App Library. You can also choose to hide any of your screens except the Today screen. If you've got a lot of home screens but you only want to use the App Library, it can be easier to hide the screens than to go through all your icons removing them one at a time.

As for why it's switched on, it probably shouldn't be. But new OS versions are often buggy, and work differently for some people, depending on their setup. An OS update (which is what this was) can be more buggy than an app software update. Many people are complaining of very heavy hits to their battery with iOS 14, especially those who also have Apple Watch.

What many people seem to be doing, from what I've seen on Reddit and elsewhere, is setting up a minimal Today screen, adding a primary home screen with their most-used widgets, plus a secondary home screen with their most-used apps, and maybe a few folders for lesser-used apps. For some, it's faster to pull down on the home screen, tap the mic icon on the keyboard and say the name of the app they want. For others, "Hey, Siri! Open Mail" is quicker.

Last edited:
I think it has decided for me!

I did have too many apps anyway, so it's probably not a bad thing...

New iPhones to be announced next Tuesday.
Just had an iPhone 11 delivered, I decided not to wait ... the new “base model 12” is rumoured to have a smaller screen but around the same price. Let’s see if I’m wrong :(.

Just had an iPhone 11 delivered, I decided not to wait ... the new “base model 12” is rumoured to have a smaller screen but around the same price. Let’s see if I’m wrong :(.

With an OLED screen and 5G according to the rumours.

I’d welcome a smaller phone.
I have the Xr at the moment and whilst the 11pro was a little smaller, I didn’t want to pay that sort of money so the potential ‘12 mini’ as I hear it might be called could be spot on.

I’d welcome a smaller phone.
I have the Xr at the moment and whilst the 11pro was a little smaller, I didn’t want to pay that sort of money so the potential ‘12 mini’ as I hear it might be called could be spot on.
The new SE might suit, Gareth? Two of my 'kids' have them, slightly larger than the old SE (which would annoy me if I need to upgrade), but I think has much of the new goodness except not having 14 cameras...

The new SE might suit, Gareth? Two of my 'kids' have them, slightly larger than the old SE (which would annoy me if I need to upgrade), but I think has much of the new goodness except not having 14 cameras...

my work phone is an SE but I prefer the full screen and Face ID of my phone. I’ve no desire for a better phone camera. Ha.

New iPhones to be announced next Tuesday.

I've been waiting for these for some time, I'm still using an "iPhone 7 Plus" and although its still as good now as when it was new I think its about time for an upgrade.

George.

Plugged my phone into the car for the 1st time since iOS14 today, I see we now have traffic lights and speed cameras.

Plugged my phone into the car for the 1st time since iOS14 today, I see we now have traffic lights and speed cameras.

Marc, maybe I've missed something there but what app do they appear on then?

George.

Yes, but I am very happy with my current 7+ screen. The 11 is slightly smaller which I will find convenient (pockets etc) but the screen is no smaller. I’m pleased with it so far. There could be fairly radical improvements or lower price next week (but I doubt it) but I needed (or at least it was convenient) to change now for other reasons :).

Is it as good as Waze? See Google maps on car play “sometimes“ has cameras

I've only used it for one trip but, for some reason, Waze annoys me. I think it's because the graphics look cartoonish.

iPhone 12 mini is so good. All internal of Pro, but without the size baggage.

I've always bought the smallest most powerful phone. I had the original iPhone, skipped 3G because inside was identical. Had 3GS, had 4S, had 5S for a long time waited for similar size. Then gave up and bought the 8 because X was too big for my liking (SE wasn't a thing). Now the 12 mini will be the perfect upgrade.

Back