All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Nice, Stephen. This is the discussion thread and photos tend to be posted here as an illustration of some problem or other point of discussion. There's a dedicated photo-sharing thread here:

Thanks. Though I wasn’t specific, I was trying to illustrate that in suitable conditions older iterations of iPhone can still pr satisfactory images :)

I’m on the lookout for a laptop but in no urgent rush to get one. I’ve been looking at the new MacBook Pro. Is it likely a newer model will be released next year in 2024? Thanks.

It is always a rush, but the M3 family of MacBook Pros have literally just been released. Now is a good time to buy.

Not for me - but I have a friend who wants to take better images with their iPhone 14 but doesn't want to get into the technical side of photography just yet.

Are there any recommended YouTube channels that people have experience of to save me ploughing through hours of video. Subject matter will primarily be travel images with a bit of portrait

TIA

Not for me - but I have a friend who wants to take better images with their iPhone 14 but doesn't want to get into the technical side of photography just yet.

Are there any recommended YouTube channels that people have experience of to save me ploughing through hours of video. Subject matter will primarily be travel images with a bit of portrait

TIA
There’s a good video done by Scott Kelby.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqR_SGyf1Q

TIA

For anyone who wants to improve but doesn't want to get into the nitty gritty, I would always recommend iPhone Photography School. Their videos are always bit-sized shorts each of which shows you how to achieve one type of shot. Your friend could scroll down and pick out subjects that appeal or fit their goals. Later on, they can see if there are more technical themes, before moving on to the PhD stuff. ;)

For anyone who wants to improve but doesn't want to get into the nitty gritty, I would always recommend iPhone Photography School. Their videos are always bit-sized shorts each of which shows you how to achieve one type of shot. Your friend could scroll down and pick out subjects that appeal or fit their goals. Later on, they can see if there are more technical themes, before moving on to the PhD stuff. ;)

I'll second that Garry, it's surprising just what you can learn from looking at those vid's even if you do have quite a bit of photography experience.

We are looking at doing a major upgrade fro our current iPhones (I have an XR, the wife has an 8) to the 15 Pro Max for me, and either a 15 or 15 Pro for the Mrs. A couple of questions:

I know they no longer come with a charger, and that the charge connector is now USB C, but I take it the lead is a USB B at the charger end?

Are they set up for wireless induction charging out of the box?

Anything else I should be aware of? (We're a complete Apple House, iMac, MacBook, and a couple of iPads).

The cable as provided is USB C both ends.
You don’t need to do anything regarding induction charging, it just works.

I've just realised that our Bose sound system in the kitchen has regular Lightning connector on it too.... Must look for a converter of some sort.

Ah, that's a bummer, I don't have a C type charger.

Just get a MagSafe wireless charger, I rarely ever use the port now, apart from the car charger.

Plus it means you can use standby mode which is actually useful.

MagSafe twin charger for my phone and watch cost me about £30, and also charges my AirPods if needed.

I tend to use my MacBook charger for my iPad Pro and also my additional watch charger if needed.

The EU's policy to reduce electronic waste, fails to take into account that people do have kit that they re-use that isn't USB-C.

FWIW I use the MagSafe wireless charging most of the time, although you need a charger to plug it in to. The new GaN adaptors are really good though.

We are looking at doing a major upgrade fro our current iPhones (I have an XR, the wife has an 8) to the 15 Pro Max for me, and either a 15 or 15 Pro for the Mrs. A couple of questions:

I know they no longer come with a charger, and that the charge connector is now USB C, but I take it the lead is a USB B at the charger end?

Are they set up for wireless induction charging out of the box?

Anything else I should be aware of? (We're a complete Apple House, iMac, MacBook, and a couple of iPads).
I’ve gone from a iPhone XR to a new iPhone 15 Pro, it’s noticeably better.
I also have a ShiftCam which is a great for my photography needs.

A new bug-fix release, 17.2.1, though Apple isn't giving much away about it. Also iPadOS and also MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1.

Hmm... Having said that, while iOS and MacOS are now available, it looks like iPadOS isn't at the time of posting.

Last edited:
"Heads Up"

Anyone who's using the ProCamera app for their iPhone photography then there is a very useful update out today. For me its still the best third party photography app available.

"Can anyone help?"

I use "Affinity (1)" (iPad version) for most of my PP work, and one thing I use quite a bit is the "Inpainting" tool. For some reason on my later iPad Pro M1 version when I remove a blemish with that tool any previous edits that I've done with that tool on the same pic' also show until I've released the pencil from the screen. If I do any additional edits to the same pic' with that tool even on a different layer the previous edits show all the time I have the pencil touching the screen. This ever used to happen and doesn't happen on my older iPad Pro. Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening as I've obviously done something and just cannot find a solution to the problem.

I have just got myself a rather nice iPhone 15 Pro Max. Now, where do I find a gadget that will allow me to utilise my Bose sound system which has a Lightning socket on it?

I've ordered a charging mat to put next to the bed so it charges overnight.

I have just got myself a rather nice iPhone 15 Pro Max. Now, where do I find a gadget that will allow me to utilise my Bose sound system which has a Lightning socket on it?

I've ordered a charging mat to put next to the bed so it charges overnight.
Umpteen on Amazon and ebay. FWIW my 15 Pro Max only needs charging a couple of times a week!

Umpteen on Amazon and ebay. FWIW my 15 Pro Max only needs charging a couple of times a week!
We've also upgraded the wife's phone to a 15 Pro, and she likes having music on when in the kitchen. I don't want to give her a reason NOT to be in the kitchen :ROFLMAO:

I need a dongle or an iOS app that lets you print to any networked printer from an iPad. It can't need a Mac anywhere.

This is driving me crackers as I have a networked brother laser printer which I cannot print to. If you use the share function the printer isn't listed.

Printer has Ethernet not wifi but it's all on the same subnet.

Or is there some magic I need to do on the ASUS router to make it work?

I use Printer Pro to print to my Epson from my iMac. It's discontinued now so no more updates but it still works fine ... worth a try. :)

I'm having a real problem trying to find a converter for my Bose Sound Dock with Lightning connector, to USB C which supports audio. I've bought two different ones and neither supports audio, but they can me used as a charger. The only one I can find is from Apple itself and costs £30, and it's a cable, I'm looking for something to sit over the lightning connector and present a USB C for the phone to sit on.

Hi. I’m interested in purchasing the latest MacBook Pro M3 Pro 3 16” with 36GB and 1TB SSD. It’s a lot of money! Is there any way I can save myself a few quid buying this particular machine from anywhere else or other methods? Thanks.

Hi. I’m interested in purchasing the latest MacBook Pro M3 Pro 3 16” with 36GB and 1TB SSD. It’s a lot of money! Is there any way I can save myself a few quid buying this particular machine from anywhere else or other methods? Thanks.
Either look for them on Apple Refurbished or see if you can get an educational price, maybe through a relative?

Thanks. I did check refurbished ones but they only have M2 ones available at this moment.
Oh, do students get discounts ?

Thanks. I did check refurbished ones but they only have M2 ones available at this moment.
Oh, do students get discounts ?
I think so, but you need to check. I'm sure my daughter-in-law did, but that was a few years ago.

Updated my phone yesterday, but the watch update has been "preparing" since 10 this morning! It's on the charger and in range of my phone (on wifi).

Any ideas?

Back