All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I’m looking to replace my aging iPad Air. 32gb is not enough so am looking at the 128 2020 iPad, or a 2019 air 64 which can be had for a similar price.
what are the main differences between them? The processor appears to be the same, the base ipad has double the memory, so not sure what the advantage is of the air.

If you’ve still got your old phone, can you back up to iTunes and restore to the new phone from iTunes?
Unfortunately it's on it's third day through the passage of RMSD Next Day to its new owner! :mad:

If you’ve still got your old phone, can you back up to iTunes and restore to the new phone from iTunes?
If he’s on Mac there’s no iTunes now.As I said earlier I’ve always found old stuff present in “purchased”. The only thing I can think of is if Apple or the developer has withdrawn it.

I’m looking to replace my aging iPad Air. 32gb is not enough so am looking at the 128 2020 iPad, or a 2019 air 64 which can be had for a similar price.
what are the main differences between them? The processor appears to be the same, the base ipad has double the memory, so not sure what the advantage is of the air.

Wife has just got an Air and it’s very nice (I have an old pro). Better processor and a few other differences but they may not concern you depending on how you use it.

Wife has just got an Air and it’s very nice (I have an old pro). Better processor and a few other differences but they may not concern you depending on how you use it.

Thanks Craig. I’m looking at the third generation air and it looks nearly identical apart from the front camera.

Just want to add more than a like - this software is excellent.
It has saved me a royal pain as the software that has replaced iTunes for audiobooks does not allow you to choose the location for your files, and since i have a lot of audiobooks that needs to be on an external or network drive.

EDIT
Many people say that Apple products are more limited / constrained than windows etc and i have rarely found that to be the case, but the replacement of iTunes has really caused problems for me. I think i was in the significant minority in that i really liked iTunes, have used it since my i bought my iPod mini a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has saved me a royal pain as the software that has replaced iTunes for audiobooks does not allow you to choose the location for your files, and since i have a lot of audiobooks that needs to be on an external or network drive.

EDIT
Many people say that Apple products are more limited / constrained than windows etc and i have rarely found that to be the case, but the replacement of iTunes has really caused problems for me. I think i was in the significant minority in that i replay liked iTunes, have used it since my i bought my iPod mini a long time ago.
Good point, I always found it a bit awkward but I had a lot of stuff ‘stored’ in it that I’d forgotten about till now, maybe it’s still there. I’ll have to re-install it and give it a try :).

Anyone using the new Magsafe charger and is it worth get for an iphone 12 mini?
Apple seem to sell them with a case but have noticed on Amazon they sell them without a case. Is the case a requirement for charging?

I don't actually have the Magsafe charger as I use a phone case that would not let me use a magsafe charger, but I'm looking at getting a better case then might get the magsafe.

IPad Air just delivered:pompous:
Still unsure what model to get, either the 2020 128gb 10.2 (£429), Air 3 64gb (if im lucky £399) or Air 4 64gb (£579)
The air 3 dissent seem to add much over the 10.2, and loses 64gb of memory. The air 4 is another £150 and while a definite step up, i am unsure whether the extra money is worth it.

The real issue is stock, not many places have the 10.2. If i could use my employee voucher scheme i can get 8% off if i use argos or curry's.

Still unsure what model to get, either the 2020 128gb 10.2 (£429), Air 3 64gb (if im lucky £399) or Air 4 64gb (£579)
The air 3 dissent seem to add much over the 10.2, and loses 64gb of memory. The air 4 is another £150 and while a definite step up, i am unsure whether the extra money is worth it.

The real issue is stock, not many places have the 10.2. If i could use my employee voucher scheme i can get 8% off if i use argos or curry's.

Found a brand new iPad air 3 64 gb for £363 on ebay which seems a pretty good deal.

Anyone here have the Home Pod Mini? Thinking about getting a 'plugged in' speaker and these seem to fit the bill.. Our only speaker so far is a UE Boom, pretty decent (I am not a hi-fi buff) but as no-one seems to have specs like how many watts etc... trying to understand how powerful it is in comparison?

The Boom is loud enough, so thinking the bigger HomePod is overkill for us. Plus I can get 2 of these for less than a homePod.

Apple have just launched the AirPods Max.

Only £549.

Lol, as someone with Airpods, Airpods Pro, Sony MDR-1000X, + many pairs of Sennheisers...spent thousands in headphones in the past. This is a HARD pass for me. I like Apple stuff but that price tag is unjustified. There is no way the Spatial and Siri integration is worth £200+ over the Sony or Bose in the £300 bracket.

Lol, as someone with Airpods, Airpods Pro, Sony MDR-1000X, + many pairs of Sennheisers...spent thousands in headphones in the past. This is a HARD pass for me. I like Apple stuff but that price tag is unjustified. There is no way the Spatial and Siri integration is worth £200+ over the Sony or Bose in the £300 bracket.

exactly this! AirPods are convenient but £549 for these is questionable tbh, think my 1000XM4’s will suffice and are tried and tested

If this were £399, then I may be inclined to give them a shot, £549? It's a HARD No. The reasons Airpods gets used over other ear phones are they are convenient, the fit in my pocket, they self charge.

I hardly ever use Siri with my Airpods, especially now I have an Apple Watch. I tried to pay attention to the Spatial thing with my Airpods Pro....I can't tell the difference!. The Sony gets 20hrs battery life too, plus I like the "hold the cover" and let sound in feature, makes listening to announcements on planes easy. Also the case covers the whole thing to protect every part of it, including the headband.

Something I guess some of you already know, but for those that don't hear's a little help.

As you probably already know the iPhone photography app doesn't exploit all the powerful capabilities of the camera's within. So I thought I might offer to steer you in the direction to get the very best out of the unit with regards to taking shots by listing some of the camera apps that I use and have found to be very good.

For Stills :- My first go to app is "ProCamera" it offers pretty much everything the camera is capable of including shooting in RAW. It also has a "Tiltmeter" various "Aspect Ratios" "Grids" "Self Timer" "Anti Shake" "Rapid Fire" "Histogram" separate "Exposure & Focus" "Flash" "Manual ISO & Shutter Speed" and many more facilities.

For Stills :- My second go to app is "ProCam" which offers pretty much the same but not exactly the same facilities as "ProCamera" and is a very capable app. I personally prefer the interface of "ProCamera".

For Stills :- My third go to app is "Camera+" which doesn't offer quit so many facilities as the other two but it does offer a very good "Macro Mode" and a "Portrait Mode" where the other two apps don't (or if they do I've not managed to fined them).

For Video :- My go to app is "Filmic Pro" and in my opinion there is no equal.

For editing Video :- In my opinion the only app worth using is "LumaFusion".

The designers of "Filmic Pro" also produce a stills photography app which is also extremely good but in my honest opinion is not as good as "ProCamera" or "CameraPro".

Other stills apps that I have found useful from time to time are "Cortex Cam" and "Slow Shutter" but neither of these are suitable as your main photography app.

George.

Last edited:
Something I guess some of you already know, but for those that don't hear's a little help.

As you probably already know the iPhone photography app doesn't exploit all the powerful capabilities of the camera's within. So I thought I might offer to steer you in the direction to get the very best out of the unit with regards to taking shots by listing some of the camera apps that I use and have found to be very good.

For Stills :- My first go to app is "ProCamera" it offers pretty much everything the camera is capable of including shooting ion RAW. It also has a "Tiltmeter" various "Aspect Ratios" "Grids" "Self Timer" "Anti Shake" "Rapid Fire" "Histogram" separate "Exposure & Focus" "Flash" "Manual ISO & Shutter Speed" and many more facilities.

For Stills :- My second go to app is "ProCam" which offers pretty much the same but not exactly the same facilities as "ProCamera" and is a very capable app. I personally prefer the interface of "ProCamera".

For Stills :- My third go to app is "Camera+" which doesn't offer quit so many facilities as the other two but it does offer a very good "Macro Mode" and a "Portrait Mode" where the other two apps don't (or if they do I've not managed to fine them).

For Video :- My go to app is "Filmic Pro" and in my opinion there is no equal.

For editing Video :- In my opinion the only app worth using is "LumaFusion".

The designers of "Filmic Pro" also produce a stills photography app which is also extremely good but in my honest opinion is not as good as "ProCamera" or "CameraPro".

Other stills apps that I have found useful from time to time are "Cortex Cam" and "Slow Shutter" but neither of these are suitable as your main photography app.

George.

Thanks George. Do any of the photo apps support live photos?

Thanks George. Do any of the photo apps support live photos?

I don't think so Phil, its something that I've never used so I haven't even looked into see if that is one of the facilities on any of the apps. I'm pretty sure they don't support that facility though.

Aren’t Live Photos a still and a movie, with the same name? Certainly when importing into Aperture I got two files.

noy sure how you get them in to other apps though!

"Heads Up"

Further to my post of Sunday about camera apps for iPhones etc, there has just been an update to my number one go to app "ProCamera".

ProRaw Capture And Editing : It now supports capturing & editing of ProRaw photos on "iPhone 12 Pro & 12 Pro Max" units.

Dolby Vision Support : 10-Bit HDR VIDEO, including Dolby Vision 4K HDR video recording.

Haptic Feedback For Shutter Button : gives a more analog feel every time you tap the shutter button.

Support For External Microphones : you can now use external USB microphones.

General Improvements : there are various smaller advancements and behind the scenes enhancements.

George.

May be of interest to some:

Does anyone really use Siri?

Only time I do is in the car to send a message, or call someone. By the time you have done the hey siri bit and asked a question, you could have probably looked it up anyway.

Only time I do is in the car to send a message, or call someone. By the time you have done the hey siri bit and asked a question, you could have probably looked it up anyway.

I use Siri to control my lights and HomePod.

I only really use Siri in the car but not sure how looking something up could be quicker than saying 'hey siri' and asking a question.

Quite a bit during the day, but especially when cooking.
"Remind me to put the vegetables on in 20 minutes."
"Remind me to put the plates in the oven in 25 minutes."

But it's also faster for things like:
"Show me photos of Bishop of Llandaff dahlias."
"Play The Lark Ascending."
"What's the temperature outside?"
"Is it going to rain in the next hour?"
"What is syzygy?"
"How do you say, 'chicken sandwich' in Spanish?"

For anyone who's interested in trying it out (on a new M1 machine perhaps?) here are a couple of articles on using Siri on a Mac (including lots of examples), and how to use Type to Siri (if you don't want to talk to Siri):

I use Siri loads, mostly on my Watch though.

I expect anyone who currently uses it has had the email, but 1Password is now available for Apple Silicon:

Back