All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Question

I want to be able to play my music tracks from my iPhone & iPad via my Hi-Fi system using Bluetooth. What I do at the moment is to connect my iPhone or iPad directly into the back of my Hi-Fi amplifier (the Hi-Fi system is all made up of separates) via a cable which works just fine. What I wondered can anyone point me in the direction of a plug-in Bluetooth receiver/adapter (if there is such a thing) that would plug directly into my amplifier to receive a Bluetooth signal from my iPhone or iPad. Its quite an old amplifier my modern standards and has only the inputs where there is a centre pin that is surrounded by a collar (I think they might be called phono plugs).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Can’t comment on the 12 but went from 8-11 and loads better. Great screen. Faster and all round a great move. Jump to 12 will be even better.

I’m surprised you noticed a difference with the screen (other than size) because they are both LCD with the same pixel density and brightness.

Question

I want to be able to play my music tracks from my iPhone & iPad via my Hi-Fi system using Bluetooth. What I do at the moment is to connect my iPhone or iPad directly into the back of my Hi-Fi amplifier (the Hi-Fi system is all made up of separates) via a cable which works just fine. What I wondered can anyone point me in the direction of a plug-in Bluetooth receiver/adapter (if there is such a thing) that would plug directly into my amplifier to receive a Bluetooth signal from my iPhone or iPad. Its quite an old amplifier my modern standards and has only the inputs where there is a centre pin that is surrounded by a collar (I think they might be called phono plugs).

Any help would be much appreciated.

They certainly exist (and Amazon sell a number of them if you search on “Bluetooth receiver) but I’ve never bought one so can’t advise :(.

They certainly exist (and Amazon sell a number of them if you search on “Bluetooth receiver) but I’ve never bought one so can’t advise :(.

Thank you Richard, that's much appreciated.

I went from an iPhone 6s Plus to an iPhone 12 pro max. Very happy with it and blistering fast compared to my 6s. I prefer the bigger screens so that’s why I opted for the pro max.

I’m surprised you noticed a difference with the screen (other than size) because they are both LCD with the same pixel density and brightness.

I went 11 to 12 and can definitely see a screen difference, I had thought the LCD was pretty good but next to the AMOLED 12 the difference is quite stark.

Weirdly the 12 feels smaller in the hand because of the design change, and is a lot easier to use one handed.

Thank you Richard, that's much appreciated.

I’ve got a Bluetooth receiver plugged in to my amp via one of its phono inputs that I connect my iPad to for streaming Spotify etc.

It was basically plug and play and does the job.

As Richard says plenty to pick from on Amazon

My iPhone XS has been killing me lately! It’s running the latest OS but literally ha,f the day it will have switched off and be just displaying the black screen with the egg timer! Try charging and eventually it just forces off and makes extremely disturbing loud cracklings sounds from the speaker. Tried using battery case from Morphienand Apple but no joy.. can’t restore it as every time I try and back it up it quits… what can I do!

Possibly a hard reset?

I have done that a millions times, still no joy! Going to try and go to an apple store this week I think, it's not usable. I have even dug an old Kodak phone out of retirement to use as this is just useless!

There is also restore via cable to computer (with iTiunes on Oder MacOS versions) though it sounds like that wouldn’t work either :(. Probably Apple Store is your best bet. I’ve had 2 iPads fail with similar symptoms to your phone and both had to be replaced :(.

There is also restore via cable to computer (with iTiunes on Oder MacOS versions) though it sounds like that wouldn’t work either :(. Probably Apple Store is your best bet. I’ve had 2 iPads fail with similar symptoms to your phone and both had to be replaced :(.

Hmm I see! It's very off - wondering if a loose cable or something like that.. we shall see! I've had such a good track record with iPhone and apple stuff generally.. this is the first one ever to fail not user error!

"Heads Up"

Anyone using the "Pro Camera" app on their iPhone or iPad there's a new update out which brings several new useful features to the app.

Hmm I see! It's very off - wondering if a loose cable or something like that.. we shall see! I've had such a good track record with iPhone and apple stuff generally.. this is the first one ever to fail not user error!

Not sure what you mean by ‘loose cable’ but the common reason for cable not working is pocket fluff in the camera socket, removable with a sharpened plastic stick from a cotton bud thingy. Doesn’t sound like that is your problem though :(,

Not sure what you mean by ‘loose cable’ but the common reason for cable not working is pocket fluff in the camera socket, removable with a sharpened plastic stick from a cotton bud thingy. Doesn’t sound like that is your problem though :(,

I'm clutching at straws really - I was meaning because I know for sure it's not had water damage or physical damage, I was hoping it would perhaps be something some genius would look at be like - yep, done and done - good as new!

Does anyone know if inactivity would degrade an iPhone's battery?

I upgraded from an iPhone 6S to an iPhone 11 less that a year and a half ago and the 6S has been sitting in a drawer since. Mum has decided that she'd like to try a smart phone after seeing other people her age (she's 86) using them in waiting rooms when she's gone for hospital appointments so I though I'd give her the 6S but the battery has gone from 100% to 34% in just 3 hours without any use (battery health is 86%). It's in low power mode and there are no apps running in the background.

A tad frustrating as it's 2 weeks before she can go to a shop to have it replaced and no, fitting one at home isn't an option.

I upgraded from an iPhone 6S to an iPhone 11 less that a year and a half ago and the 6S has been sitting in a drawer since. Mum has decided that she'd like to try a smart phone after seeing other people her age (she's 86) using them in waiting rooms when she's gone for hospital appointments so I though I'd give her the 6S but the battery has gone from 100% to 34% in just 3 hours without any use (battery health is 86%). It's in low power mode and there are no apps running in the background.

A tad frustrating as it's 2 weeks before she can go to a shop to have it replaced and no, fitting one at home isn't an option.

Generally they say to store batteries half charged I think so permanently full or deep discharge presumably harms them, the latter maybe in your case. I did have a similar experience with one and turned off/deleted most stuff and it returned to ‘normal’, maybe something running in the background?

Worth trying the charge cycle a few more times? My SE will sometimes run down quite quickly, and sometimes goes for a couple of days including a long MapMyWalk session, no bother...

There is also restore via cable to computer (with iTiunes on Oder MacOS versions) though it sounds like that wouldn’t work either :(....
What is the thing about iTunes backup/restore? Daughter's just upgraded from old to new SE, and was complaining that she couldn't get backup to work. I had a dim recollection of something stopped working there...

Generally they say to store batteries half charged I think so permanently full or deep discharge presumably harms them, the latter maybe in your case. I did have a similar experience with one and turned off/deleted most stuff and it returned to ‘normal’, maybe something running in the background?

It was restored to factory settings. I can't remember if I turned it off or just let the battery run down. I'm pretty sure there's nothing running in the background as we haven't done anything but charged it up since I gave it to her.

Worth trying the charge cycle a few more times? My SE will sometimes run down quite quickly, and sometimes goes for a couple of days including a long MapMyWalk session, no bother...

I'll get her to charge it a few times and see if it makes a difference otherwise she'll get a new battery fitted.

What is the thing about iTunes backup/restore? Daughter's just upgraded from old to new SE, and was complaining that she couldn't get backup to work. I had a dim recollection of something stopped working there...

Except that iTunes doesn’t exist on the Mac in the latest versions, no idea :(.

"Well Pleased"

I use "Affinity Photo" on my iPad Pro and one thing that really annoyed was that Affinity (iPad version) would not open my Fuji-X files properly if they were Lossless Compressed which is something I do as try as I may I can see absolutely no difference whatsoever in the Uncompressed & the Lossless Compressed RAW files. If I tried to open a Lossless Compressed RAW file it would appear very magenta to the extent that I could not edit it out. Apparently it was something to do with the RAW engine on an iPad Pro that prevented this, but after today’s update to Affinity (iPad Version) they have changed the RAW engine that they were using to their own RAW engine and low & behold Fuji-X Lossless Compressed files now open perfectly. "VOILA" :) :)

I’ve given my iPhone a new look.

I’m sure I’ll get bored of it soon [emoji23]

IMG_1068.JPG

"HEADS UP"

I meant to mention this yesterday, there is a new update to "Affinity Photo" both for iPad & Mac (and probably windows) to version 1.9.2 with some very useful features on it.

Hi

Anyone on iPhone 7 that has updated to iOS 14?

If you have, has you phone been working fine or are there any issues you have found.

Thank you

Hi

If you have, has you phone been working fine or are there any issues you have found.

Thank you

I have an "iPhone 7 Plus" and an "iPad Pro 12.9" (2017 model) and both are on 14.4.2 and both appear to be without problems.

I have an "iPhone 7 Plus" and an "iPad Pro 12.9" (2017 model) and both are on 14.4.2 and both appear to be without problems.

Thank you, mighty just update my one this weekend.

Hi

Thank you

I got an iphone 7 to use while my 10s is being really weird - upddated to the latest OS and - damn its pretty good. It's a pretty good phone, the little iPhone 7. Got it with 256gb memory, so its a pretty serious one. Bargain of a lifetime of £150

Cool, thank you. Will try my one this weekend. It is only 32gb one so not as good as your one.

flykiller.jpg

Except that iTunes doesn’t exist on the Mac in the latest versions, no idea :(.
Ah. I'm on 10.14 and still have iTunes, at least for the purposes of playing my own music. What replaces it for that purpose in 10.15 etc?

Ah. I'm on 10.14 and still have iTunes, at least for the purposes of playing my own music. What replaces it for that purpose in 10.15 etc?

The app is still there, it's just called "Music" now and it no longer facilitates the iPhone back ups etc, that's all done through Finder now.

I've just been reading that the new iPads are going into production during April. Apparently the updated 11-inch and 12.9 inch Pros will feature an A14X chip with performance similar to the M1 Macs - the MacBook Air, the 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini. They are also expected to have Thunderbolt ports replacing the current USB-C ports. Thunderbolt ports should enable them to connect to a wider range of peripherals including external monitors and drives. They are also expected to have mini LED displays resulting in much better contrast & brightness.

Personally I see this as a possible game changer, with the apps etc that are available for the iPads now becoming very close to, and in some cases better than those that are available for the Macs. And if the iPads are equipped with a Thunderbolt port meaning they could link up to an external monitor etc I can see more & more people changing their computing habits and using iPads as their main units for computing.

Last edited:
Well I am waiting for the new one to be released.
My 10.5 pro is crying out for a upgrade + the mrs wants to claim it as a upgrade over her 7th gen.
I have the money sat waiting for release day and wanting the new pencil too. :)

Apple have confirmed an event named "Spring Loaded" starting at 10am PDT (6pm BST) on Tuesday 20th April, viewable online at the Apple site.

Hi, looking to replace my iPhone 8, any online sites that offer a decent Discount around?

Hi, looking to replace my iPhone 8, any online sites that offer a decent Discount around?

The iphone 8 still pretty good, I think you'd easily sell it for around £150 minium. I've got an iPhone 7 and its still absolutely fine (apart from the battery!)

The iphone 8 still pretty good, I think you'd easily sell it for around £150 minium. I've got an iPhone 7 and its still absolutely fine (apart from the battery!)

They can be had for around £120 now, unfortunately mine is also nearing the end as it gets quite sluggish and battery life is nothing short of shocking (82% health and rarely lasts a day without a charge 2/3 through)

I was tempted to get the battery replaced but it doesn’t solve the poor performance I get from time to time...

Worth trying the charge cycle a few more times?

This appears to have done the trick. The phone has finally been unlocked and the battery is much improved. I took it off charge 24 hours ago and it's still on 77%.

Back