All things related to Apple phones & tablets

That's very interesting Chris, and thank you for reporting your findings.

"Just out of interest do you happen to know if "Affinity Photo" is compatible yet with the new M1 chip?"

No worries; Affinity works fine on the new iPad; doesn’t look like there‘s been any specific update since the launch though.
The more I use this thing the more I want to keep it but it still doesn’t get over the things that annoy me (that existed in the 2018 and 2020 models as well); the webcam is still irritating (being on the side rather than at the top in landscape mode) and Center stage doesn’t seem to help that much; the file manager is still horrendous; I miss being able to just copy and paste files into a folder!!!!!

No worries; Affinity works fine on the new iPad; doesn’t look like there‘s been any specific update since the launch though.
The more I use this thing the more I want to keep it but it still doesn’t get over the things that annoy me (that existed in the 2018 and 2020 models as well); the webcam is still irritating (being on the side rather than at the top in landscape mode) and Center stage doesn’t seem to help that much; the file manager is still horrendous; I miss being able to just copy and paste files into a folder!!!!!

Many thanks for that Chris, much appreciated.

Yesterday while in London for the day I managed to visit the "Apple Store" in Regent St in the hopes they might just have one of the new "iPad Pro 12.9 1TB or 2TB units available to purchase, but sadly nothing. However I did get to use a display model with the new "Magic Keyboard & Pencil" and must admit I am very impressed. The screen on that new model is absolutely stunning compared with my old 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 and the speed that it can do things is on the next level. I also did not realise until the sales guy told me that all of the iPhone apps will work with the new iPads that are equipped with the M1 processor which is another plus point for me. All together it sure do seem like an "Excellent" bit of kit.

Question if anyone can help.

I currently have an iPhone, iPad, & Macbook, all with the standard Apple note taking app obviously on them. At the moment I treat them as individual units ie if I make a note on one of them it does not show on the other two. I now want to combine them so if I make a note on one of them it also shows on the other two.

First of all :- How do I set this up ?
Second :- Some of the notes are exactly the same but entered separately on the three different units, so will there effectively be three copies of those particular notes and would it matter if I deleted two of them just keeping one copy of each note ?

Not very well explained but I hope it makes some sense as to what I want to do.

Many thanks in advance.

Question if anyone can help.

I currently have an iPhone, iPad, & Macbook, all with the standard Apple note taking app obviously on them. At the moment I treat them as individual units ie if I make a note on one of them it does not show on the other two. I now want to combine them so if I make a note on one of them it also shows on the other two.

First of all :- How do I set this up ?
Second :- Some of the notes are exactly the same but entered separately on the three different units, so will there effectively be three copies of those particular notes and would it matter if I deleted two of them just keeping one copy of each note ?

Not very well explained but I hope it makes some sense as to what I want to do.

Many thanks in advance.
hmm ok I can part help you with your answer.
with just reading this I knew my notes auto synced between my phone and iPad pro.
I gave my old iPad pro to the Mrs and took her standard iPad as a spare for me just when I want something smaller.
I just went onto notes on it for the 1st time ever since wiping then setting it up as a new iPad.
I opened notes it was empty and it self refreshed and all my notes appeared.
No 2nd copies etc, just 1 on each of each note.
I would assume it does it as I have the same account (Apple ID) on all ?

hmm ok I can part help you with your answer.
with just reading this I knew my notes auto synced between my phone and iPad pro.
I gave my old iPad pro to the Mrs and took her standard iPad as a spare for me just when I want something smaller.
I just went onto notes on it for the 1st time ever since wiping then setting it up as a new iPad.
I opened notes it was empty and it self refreshed and all my notes appeared.
No 2nd copies etc, just 1 on each of each note.
I would assume it does it as I have the same account (Apple ID) on all ?

Thank you kindly Peter, appreciate your reply that's very helpful.

"I was wondering if when iCloud syncs the notes just what does it use as the master copy, ie does it sync all the notes from for instance my iPhone to the other two and sync all the notes on the other two individual units to the other two if that makes sense"

Thank you kindly Peter, appreciate your reply that's very helpful.

"I was wondering if when iCloud syncs the notes just what does it use as the master copy, ie does it sync all the notes from for instance my iPhone to the other two and sync all the notes on the other two individual units to the other two if that makes sense"

I have a feeling there is no “master” copy. You can’t designate any of the syncing apps (like Notes, Photos etc) as such. I’ve alway found that annoying in similar situations to to yours.

I guess one thing to do is to back up each device before you embark on this. On duplicates, I guess it may depend on the title of each being identical but I bet Apple gives each note a cryptic title reference:(.

I don’t think you can export notes? You can import them from Evernote for example because I’ve done that. Maybe you can import to MS OneNote as a backup?

I have a feeling there is no “master” copy. You can’t designate any of the syncing apps (like Notes, Photos etc) as such. I’ve alway found that annoying in similar situations to to yours.

I guess one thing to do is to back up each device before you embark on this. On duplicates, I guess it may depend on the title of each being identical but I bet Apple gives each note a cryptic title reference:(.

I don’t think you can export notes? You can import them from Evernote for example because I’ve done that. Maybe you can import to MS OneNote as a backup?

Thank you kindly Richard, appreciate your reply that's very helpful.

Does anybody know of a method to save a Twitter post and replies to a text file?
I often see Twitter threads asking for recommendations that interest me and I’d like to be able to save the whole thread. I can’t copy the text as Twitter ems to just keep a handful of tweets in the browser so select and drag doesn’t work. You can normally save a webpage by sharing to Dropbox, but that doesn’t work either. Suggestions please!

eg
would like to save this tweet and replies

View: https://BANNED/laurasteven/status/1400061636073897984

Thank you kindly Richard, appreciate your reply that's very helpful.

I like Apple’s Notes app because it does what I want but there’s no doubt it suffers from the usual Apple problem of being unable to export etc to other formats or apps and Apple nay abandon it or radically reduce it’s functionality (eg Aperture & Pages etc) :(. Apple only provides the option of exporting single notes (and then only as pdf, I think).

On MacOS there are various scrips and apps that let you export some or all notes at once, saving as pdf/html/Markdown (texr) which may be useful as a safety backup but probably don’t retain the functionality of the Notes app. I’ve found, but not tried these on a quick Google:

The other way is to locate and save the Notes files on your Mac hard drive, there are instructions for that on the web.

I like Apple’s Notes app because it does what I want but there’s no doubt it suffers from the usual Apple problem of being unable to export etc to other formats or apps and Apple nay abandon it or radically reduce it’s functionality (eg Aperture & Pages etc) :(. Apple only provides the option of exporting single notes (and then only as pdf, I think).

On MacOS there are various scrips and apps that let you export some or all notes at once, saving as pdf/html/Markdown (texr) which may be useful as a safety backup but probably don’t retain the functionality of the Notes app. I’ve found, but not tried these on a quick Google:

The other way is to locate and save the Notes files on your Mac hard drive, there are instructions for that on the web.

The reason I asked was I had been using a notes app called "iDo - Notepad" as well as some others for different things. But that particular app cannot be used until the developer updates it to work with the latest iOS update, which has not been done. So I was trying to transfer all of my notes etc to something that Apple supply’s as standard figuring that being one of their own apps they would make sure everything stays working.

However I have found a very good basic app called "Simplenote" that more or less does everything I need and syncs with all three devices, I just don't want to be caught out again with perhaps the developer not bothering to update it to work with any future updates to the operating system.

The reason I asked was I had been using a notes app called "iDo - Notepad" as well as some others for different things. But that particular app cannot be used until the developer updates it to work with the latest iOS update, which has not been done. So I was trying to transfer all of my notes etc to something that Apple supply’s as standard figuring that being one of their own apps they would make sure everything stays working.

However I have found a very good basic app called "Simplenote" that more or less does everything I need and syncs with all three devices, I just don't want to be caught out again with perhaps the developer not bothering to update it to work with any future updates to the operating system.

Ah, right, I misunderstood your problem.I don’t know Simplenote but I think that would be the way to go if you are not already using “Apple Notes”. Many of the 3rd party apps enable exporting and importing. Microsoft One Note is free and unlikely to be abandoned, haven’t looked at it’s importing though and as I said Evernote, which may still be the best but subscription, definitely allows exporting because I’ve done it.

For notes, plain text is the most universal format. I’ve used nvAlt on my Mac for over a decade and it’s lightning fast to create and search. Save this to a Dropbox folder and you have a good selection of apps on iOS. My preference is Editorial or 1Writer.
If you spend a short time learning markdown, you can create a nicely formatted note with just a couple of symbols (# and *).
The other notes app I would recommend on iOS is drafts. I see it as the starting point for most text entry. For example I can enter a short diary note and at the press of a button it gets sent the Dropbox folder with a date and time stamp, coordinates and a clickable url that will open the location in google maps. Eg, if I type “Talk photography thread” into drafts, then click the diary action, I get a note in Dropbox with the text

# Diary - Wednesday June 02 2021 @ 6:08 PM

> Created Lat Long (53.4930537, -2.2465760)
http://google.com/maps/place/53.4930537,-2.2465760

> Modified Lat Long (53.4930537, -2.2465760)
http://google.com/maps/place/53.4930537,-2.2465760

Talk photography thread

really handy if I want to remember where something is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This “notes” query is probably sorted now but I found there is one “ official” way to export “Apple Notes in iCloud” and that from the “download your data” section in your Apple ID page, see:
View: https://youtu.be/iRaI8nuCvyU

They come out as text and images and not in an easily readable format but obviously can be converted but may be useful for some.

Capture One is Coming to iPad in 'Early 2022' | PetaPixel

> Capture One, which recently announced an update for native support on Apple M1 computers, has announced that it is currently developing an iPad app. In a note on its website on Instagram, the company says to expect the app to become available in early 2022.

They don't say (yet) whether it will be for the M1 iPad Pro only or not.

I don’t think you can target iPads based on the chip they have (yet) so it’s likely to work on any modern iPad :)

Capture One is Coming to iPad in 'Early 2022' | PetaPixel

> Capture One, which recently announced an update for native support on Apple M1 computers, has announced that it is currently developing an iPad app. In a note on its website on Instagram, the company says to expect the app to become available in early 2022.

They don't say (yet) whether it will be for the M1 iPad Pro only or not.

I do wonder if we might see some interesting announcements at Apple WWDC on Monday; hopefully making it easier for MacOS apps to be ported to iPad

I do wonder if we might see some interesting announcements at Apple WWDC on Monday; hopefully making it easier for MacOS apps to be ported to iPad
I do wonder how that will work out. wherever the same app appears on both, the iPad one has limitations, eg the Contacts can’t create Groups on the iPad only reflect ones made on a Mac. When a new version Pages was created that worked on both iPad and Mac it was severely crippled, presumably due to the limitations of the iPad — eg you could no longer drag contacts to a Pages doc for a Mail merge.

Air Pods Pro., (not Pro Max).

I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these "Air Pod Pro" in ear head phones. Just wondered if there is anyone on hear that has a pair and if so what's the latency like.

I currently have a pair of Senheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless units which are pretty good sound wise (though not as good as the wired units) but when watching a movie on my iPhone or iPad there is definitely an unacceptable latency which puts lip sync timing out with the movie, obviously with music this doesn't matter. The other thing is they are a tad bulky and after a while I find them uncomfortable.

I've read a number of comparison reviews and the Apple units generally favour quite well up against the Senheisers with in general the sound reproduction being not quite as natural, but every reviewer stated they are very comfortable in use. I however can find nothing about if they are better with regards to latency, for some reason I figure they should be being everything would be Apple.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these "Air Pod Pro" in ear head phones. Just wondered if there is anyone on hear that has a pair and if so what's the latency like.

I currently have a pair of Senheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless units which are pretty good sound wise (though not as good as the wired units) but when watching a movie on my iPhone or iPad there is definitely an unacceptable latency which puts lip sync timing out with the movie, obviously with music this doesn't matter. The other thing is they are a tad bulky and after a while I find them uncomfortable.

I've read a number of comparison reviews and the Apple units generally favour quite well up against the Senheisers with in general the sound reproduction being not quite as natural, but every reviewer stated they are very comfortable in use. I however can find nothing about if they are better with regards to latency, for some reason I figure they should be being everything would be Apple.

My £15 AliExpress earbuds are perfectly in sync with video, I think it depends on the Bluetooth version and / or codecs used.

My £15 AliExpress earbuds are perfectly in sync with video, I think it depends on the Bluetooth version and / or codecs used.

Thank you kindly Phil, appreciate your reply it's very useful & helpful.

Take a look at
They have loads of reviews and each one has some comments on watching videos/YouTube.

Take a look at
They have loads of reviews and each one has some comments on watching videos/YouTube.

Many thanks for that Phil, I'll take a look a bit later.

Never had any latency issues with mine, but I've not had latency issues with any alternatives I've tried either.

tbh, there's a lot of compelling options out there, and I think the sound quality from my old senn's was better, however the convenience and and comfort of my AirPods Pro are better.

Never had any latency issues with mine, but I've not had latency issues with any alternatives I've tried either.

tbh, there's a lot of compelling options out there, and I think the sound quality from my old senn's was better, however the convenience and and comfort of my AirPods Pro are better.

Thank you kindly Neil, appreciate your reply.

Apple AirTags. Has anyone tried them yet and have you found any (cheap) good third party key-ring holders etc?

I’m getting one to go on a dog collar (yes, I know the pros & cons but in this case it should work) but there doesn’t seem to be any good, cheap holder for this other than key-ring types).

I just remembered that I put my AirTag under the passenger seat of my motorbike last night.
I have just opened Find My and the bike location appeared immediately, so yes I’m happy with it.

Apple Watch charging away from home. What do you do about being prepared for your watch needing a charge away from home? Do you always carry a spare charging cable with you. It’s seems a problem since they are not compatible with other charging methods. I see there are some combined magnetic charger and battery packs available, are they a solution.

Apple Watch charging away from home. What do you do about being prepared for your watch needing a charge away from home? Do you always carry a spare charging cable with you. It’s seems a problem since they are not compatible with other charging methods. I see there are some combined magnetic charger and battery packs available, are they a solution.

If I’m going away I just take a cable with me. No big deal.

Yes, given I'll need a lightning charger for iPhone/iPad/earphones, I take a watch charging cable too. At 2 years old, the battery still lasts a long time, but not as long as it used to.

If I’m going away I just take a cable with me. No big deal.

But that‘s if you know you are going away! I guess I wasn’t clear as I mean unscheduled times away. One needs to carry a spare cable all the time I suppose :(.

But that‘s if you know you are going away! I guess I wasn’t clear as I mean unscheduled times away. One needs to carry a spare cable all the time I suppose :(.

Ah I see!

I don’t know why Apple don’t do reverse wireless charging so that you could charge your watch by placing it on the back of the phone, like Samsung do.

Ah I see!

I don’t know why Apple don’t do reverse wireless charging so that you could charge your watch by placing it on the back of the phone, like Samsung do.
Indeed, or just use the ‘standard mag chargers. It’s said the Apple Watch charger system is the same as the common one they just elected to make it incompatible in use :(.

Well I've had my new "Air Pod Pros" for a couple of days now and to be perfectly honest I'm absolutely bowled over with them. I couldn't believe how easy & instant they set up and paired with my iPhone, iPad Pro, & MacBook Pro.

All the other bits & bobs they do with ease such as switching between any of the devices and using them for calls as well as speech to text etc is excellent. And to cap it all I'm well pleased that there is no latency when watching vid's etc with the sound reproduction exactly what I like.

One Happy Bunny :) :)

Bit of a strange one. Whenever I download an app. on my iPhone 11, I get the message below

IMG_1428.PNG

Thing is, Low Data Mode isn't on! :thinking:

IMG_1427.PNG

Have you tried toggling it on for a while then off again? Have you tried turning mobile data off and back on? And powering down the phone for a few minutes before turning it back on?

[For further advice in a similar vein, see any episode of The IT Crowd.] ;)

Is there a way to prioritise contacts results in the search results on iOS?

Frequently i find that when I search by pulling down from the Home Screen, I need to scroll to the bottom then select search contacts to get the result I need. This happens with generic text like ‘doctors’, search offers results from tv programmes, suggested alternatives, safari search, Siri knowledge, podcasts etc. I would really like to see the contacts search results at the top!

I confess it would never occur to me to search contacts that way since the Contacts app is on my Home Screen anyway. I think I only use that pull down for starting apps if I don’t immediately see them or possibly for other things (maybe documents etc) if I can’t find them :(.

Is there a way to prioritise contacts results in the search results on iOS?

Frequently i find that when I search by pulling down from the Home Screen, I need to scroll to the bottom then select search contacts to get the result I need. This happens with generic text like ‘doctors’, search offers results from tv programmes, suggested alternatives, safari search, Siri knowledge, podcasts etc. I would really like to see the contacts search results at the top!

Having experimented … I tried “doctors” with the same result as you, but I have no entry for “doctor(s)” in my Contacts, only in the notes or job titles etc. If I search for anyone’s first or second name or the name of my GP‘s practice (which has a Contact of that title) then it puts the various contacts at the top. Or first few letters of course.

Having experimented … I tried “doctors” with the same result as you, but I have no entry for “doctor(s)” in my Contacts, only in the notes or job titles etc. If I search for anyone’s first or second name or the name of my GP‘s practice (which has a Contact of that title) then it puts the various contacts at the top. Or first few letters of course.

Yeah, it works fine for peoples names for me. Its just the generic entries I have. I have tried renaming doctors to the actual name, but that too is a common / generic name and doesn't appear in the spotlight search either.

Back