Angela's 52, Week 26 night

Wow here I am looking at your Dark and your already on the next theme...:eek:

Simples it's a nice capture but not enough in focus for me... if it was just a bit more sharper it would be better with the background more oof. Plus because of the way the ground is made up you could proberly clone out the one that's almost out of shot...(y)

Ok, not much I can do with the background (my skills arent up to it I'm afraid) but I have sharpened and cloned out the little guy in the front! Is that any better?

0800_Modified1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow your doing some fantastic stuff with Photoshop now...:clap::clap::clap:

That is soooooo much better...

Brilliant...you have turned this shot around...

Well done you...(y)

Top marks from me...:woot:

Love your dark shot, fantastic composition :clap::clap::clap: You've developed tremendously in a very short time (y)

Simple - the second one is much better, although I'm not sure the little critter would like to be called simple :D Great DoF and well done on the PP too. I like it a lot :clap:

Wow your doing some fantastic stuff with Photoshop now...:clap:

That is soooooo much better...

Brilliant...you have turned this shot around...

Well done you...(y)

Top marks from me...:woot:
Thanks Spartacus for both taking the time to explain things and suggest improvements, muchly appreciated. :D

Love your dark shot, fantastic composition :clap: You've developed tremendously in a very short time (y) Thank you, it feels like a real struggle sometimes but I am enjoying it. :)

Simple - the second one is much better, although I'm not sure the little critter would like to be called simple :D Great DoF and well done on the PP too. I like it a lot :clap:
I agree meercats are sooo clever, it's just a play on the advert. Even when we went to the zoo, all of the kids kept repeating "simples" in front of the cage! Makes you wish they were like parrots and could say it back :naughty: still its a nice advert.

Last edited:
I love your Simples - the edited version is excellent. Well done on the shot, the pp-ing, and getting your shot in so early!

Looking back over your thread for the 52, you've made a huge amount of progress with your new camera and your processing. Well done. I hope the exams go as well! :)

Jean

I love your Simples - the edited version is excellent. Well done on the shot, the pp-ing, and getting your shot in so early!

Looking back over your thread for the 52, you've made a huge amount of progress with your new camera and your processing. Well done. I hope the exams go as well! :)

Jean
Thanks Jean, :D my exam is mid June, I am hoping to be able to carry on as normal. However, I may disappear for a while.

like your take on dark, very nicely done.

judging by the edit of simple your overtaking me with the photoshop stuff (y)

Simple was good, but the edit is superb. Wonderful shot :clap: and good PP.

like your take on dark, very nicely done.

judging by the edit of simple your overtaking me with the photoshop stuff (y)

Aaah Thank you. I don't have alot of time at the mo, but am trying to do a little each week. I took an amazing photo ( well I like it :LOL::LOL:) of some small monkeys at the zoo, but they had a big ugly rope in front of them. I enlarged the photo to 400% and have been painstakingly removing it.

Arrrrhhhhh, my idea has been stolen :sulk: and it isn't even a fresh photo either :shake: I know, sorry Simon, please forgive me!!:coat:

I had a weekend trip to Wildlife Oasis / Chester Zoo planned to get the Simples Shot - Mutter, Mutter, Mutter. :thinking: Why don't you do it anyhoo:D

:razz::razz:

Aaah Thank you. I don't have alot of time at the mo, but am trying to do a little each week. I took an amazing photo ( well I like it :LOL::LOL:) of some small monkeys at the zoo, but they had a big ugly rope in front of them. I enlarged the photo to 400% and have been painstakingly removing it.

sounds painful, i dont have the patients :(

You're edit is much better. Very clever thinking...simples:LOL:(y)

Angela, you are forgiven :D, I did get out to Chester in the end Meerkat hunting and came home with a reasonable bag. They aren't the easiest of animals to get right. Your edit is quite impressive to clone out an area that size (although there are some obvious cloning errors at the bottom of the clone area). I think the sharpening has improved it but it still not 100% pin sharp in the eyes although it is very close.

The edit is a definate improvement - as Simon says it is not completely sharp but if you did any more the processing would start to take over - I think you have done really well to know when to stop :clap:

I'm also carp at cloning - I don't have the patience - so kudos for that bit of PP!

Ok so first I had to look up what Linear meant, then as I was going walkabout with the camera club tonight, I focused on the linear. I chose this out of all my shots, at it is full of linear lines, but also different textures and ages of the buildings.

Week_19_Linear.jpg

I apologise for not commenting on everyone elses shots, My essay should be finished on Wednesday and I hope to catch up with everything after this.

oooops catch up time sorry :(

Dark - I love it! Somewhat spooky with a nice line to lead you in - but to what fate :)! (y)

Simple: 2nd version is the better for me :) If the eyes had been a little sharper then bingo! But a good shot that meets the theme nonetheless :D

Linear: Very nice spot - loads of interest - i love architecture shots! My only suggestion to improve on what you have is some use of the perspective crop tool to straighten it slightly especially to the left of the shot! But the idea and composition is spot on :D

Edit: Looking at this again in the cold light of morning and it looks even better :) The clincher for me is the wall running along the bottom which somehow ties all the elements together! And that cheeky second chimney that you have between the two buildings :) These buildings somehow have personality! (does that sound mad!:))

Last edited:
When I first looked at this I was about to say I think you need to crop in to just the brick building and the wooden one. Then I looked more and I saw more linear features and it grows on me and after a few minutes I really quite like it :clap:

I totally agree. At first my fingers were itching to go to the crop tool, but if you did that, you'd lose several interesting elements. I think it's one of those subtley clever shots, Angela, that the more you look at it the more you see. Apart from a very small amount of foliage every line is straight and there are loads of different angles. :clap::clap:

Well done on getting it done so early, too. My brain is still an idea-free zone! :LOL:

Jean

Wow, thanks guys. It is one of the oldest parts of Harwich (my home town) and the brick/wooden building is a new edition. The wall at the bottom is not very straight, and I took ages deciding where and how to crop, so I am really pleased you think it works. Hubby wanted to do some landscape shots, but it doesn't really do a lot for me, so I was concentrating more on the buildings and form. I cannot believe how many keepable shots came out of this walkabout and I will definitely be thinking more about architectural shots in the future.

I think this shots on the button and has the theme fully captured
Well done :clap::clap:

Jon

I think it's all been said...you managed to get this shot to work on so many levels is hard not to keep looking for more...:clap::clap::clap:

as a normal shot I wouldn't really have given it a lot of time, but add the Linear Title and it's superb with what's going on in the whole shot...:woot:

Well done Angela, that's great, lots of lines, in different directions, yet they blend together well.

This absolutely, whole heartedly, without a shadow of a doubt fits the theme. The composition is really good and there is nothing wrong as far as I can tell with the other technicalities... but I'm sorry it isn't grabbing me like it is everyone else. I think it might be an architecture thing - the subject just doesn't do it for me :shrug:

I really do like your composition though - it is bang on the money (y)

This absolutely, whole heartedly, without a shadow of a doubt fits the theme. The composition is really good and there is nothing wrong as far as I can tell with the other technicalities... but I'm sorry it isn't grabbing me like it is everyone else. Please don't be sorry, I feel exactly the same about glamour shots, and I am honest about that! I thank you for taking the time to comment anyway :) I think it might be an architecture thing - the subject just doesn't do it for me :shrug: Fair enough

I really do like your composition though - it is bang on the money (y)
Thanks, Its funny that for me architecture is something I am finding quite exciting and am hoping to explore further later. Different horses for different courses I guess :D

Emotion Lilly was one whole years old this week, and I acquired a new lens on her birthday and caught her hiding her new toy (debbieduck) from Harvey!!!:LOL:

He has a habit of ripping toys to shreds in minutes, whereas Lilly likes to mother them.

I wasn't sure which emotion she was displaying, but look up stealthy, and it states moving with secrecy!!! perfect:D

So here is Lilly who is moving with secrecy hoping she and debbieduck won't be discovered.

1393_Modified1.jpg

Catching up

Linear, definitely fits the theme, lots of linearity, a very clever interpretation, well done!(y)
Emotion, ahh she looks sad / worried that her toy is going to be discovered. Is there some weird banding going on with the light or she is a Zebra in her spare time? :thinking:

Keep on keepin on (y)

Mark:)

Lovely shot Angela, But as Mark says there is banding in the photo or is the Dog near a fence or something

Lily is 100% cute. :love: Give her a Happy Birthday hug for me. :)

You've caught her expression beautifully - she's obviously keen to protect her new toy. The trouble with dog (and cat) shots is that catching them unawares means you have to make the best of the light/background or whatever - hence the shadows. The only thing I would have done is clone out the label on the toy - it doesn't detract from the photo - I'm just anal about labels! :LOL:

Well done for catching the moment. (y)

Jean

Yes another good week from you...I agree about cloning out the label but other than that it's very nice and well done on getting the focus on the eyes...:clap::clap::clap:

Aww bless Lily - and norty Harvey!

She does look a bit sad - maybe she realises it's just a matter of time for Debbieduck :D

Lovely shot Angela, that 'hang dog' eye is soo sharp :)

I quite like that shadow/banding effect too :)

What emotion though? Hmmm the emotion that goes with 'not another picture of me - pleeeeasse' :D

Thanks for the comments guys, my revision is going ok, but I am going to take this afternoon out to comment on all your shots too!

I agree about the label, and the fact that she probably does get fed up with me sticking a camera in her face :D

The reason for both the banding and her expression is probably best explained by this shot!

1392_Modified.jpg

Here you can see that she is underneath a garden bed, and the offending norty (he's soooo not norty) Harvey has just passed!! :LOL::LOL:

I think we can all relate to a shot like this, great expression, fits the theme but a couple of things going on there that in an ideal world we would wave a magic wand and change.

I think you did well though, love the sad eyes.

Back