Angela's 52, Week 26 night

Hello Angela :wave:

Letter - definitely a 'box, what box?' picture and a great play on words/letters (y) I also agree that while having stuff on thirds seems a more coherent composition I don't do it if I think it's going to leave something interesting out. :clap::clap:

Duo - It was worth the waiting for the right shot (y) and as has already been said, upping the contrast a little may give it more punch. Unfortunately these challenges don't take into account the weather :LOL: :clap:

Ok, just for you Jean. The shot definitely doesn't fall into the duo theme as you can see. I have just played with it a bit and am not sure I am happy with the results, but here it is anyhoo.
IMG_0884-copy.jpg

Fank ooo, Angela. :love::love::love: (to you and the giraffe). :)

Jean

Ooops - so carried away, I didn't say - I love the shot and well captured. :)

Last edited:
Ok, it's another doggie shot, so apologies. However, it just seemed the right thing to do.

We are having some work done on the garden at the moment, and if we let both dogs out as the same time, they tear round and dig up or trample everthing. They also churn up the grass and come in very muddy!!

So to combat this we let them out in shifts. When Lilly is out, Harvey just goes about his usual business, but when Harvey is out Lilly has taken to sitting on the windowsill of the conservatory window to watch what he is up to. She whines and is desperate to be out with him.

So here is Lilly longing for the day in which they can go out together.

DSCF0069_edited-1.jpg

Ok, alongside my week 16, I have chosen to reshoot week 1 reflection. In week one, I had only my sonycybershot and no experience. This Sunday I was at Beth Chatto's gardens and was hoping an opportunity for the reshoot would appear.

MG_1101-copy_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really really like the longing shot Angela, absolute corker for me. Represents the theme perfectly, and great you managed to get Harvey in shot too[my failing :LOL:] :clap: :Clap:

And your reflection shot is lovely,SO peaceful!

Lovely Shot, on theme. Well done:clap:
Jon

Oh bless her!

Love this shot - fits the theme perfectly and well composed :clap:

Chatto's Gardens looks lovely - I think you have done well with the composition here as well. There is a lot going on but you have controlled all the factors well (y)

Thanks guys, The window isn't too high up because its a dwarf wall, however she does use my footstool as a stepping stone :LOL:

The gardens are amazing, we (the camera club) were there all day practising macro flower shots. I did get a few landscapy type pics, but of those taken around the water, I thought this captured the peace of the place despite the fact that the picture is soooo busy.

Your longing is very good, really feel the dog longing to be out there.

I might have removed the plant and tried to crop out the green cover in the garden to the right. I think its very good though.

My wife said, "wouldn't it be great if the dog was looking at the plant pot" which made me laugh.

Longing is a great interpretation of the theme. You can almost feel the sense of longing to be outside too.:clap:

Your longing is very good, really feel the dog longing to be out there.

I might have removed the plant and tried to crop out the green cover in the garden to the right. I think its very good though.

My wife said, "wouldn't it be great if the dog was looking at the plant pot" which made me laugh.

Thanks, I agree about the plant pot and also think I wish I had gotten her tail in!! Trouble is it was one of those grab a camera quick opportunities (as normally when I get out the camera they both cease to do anything except lick the lens!! :shrug:

I do like your wifes idea about her longing to be a cactus :LOL: :LOL: my have more of my shoes intact if she were :naughty:

Longing is a great interpretation of the theme. You can almost feel the sense of longing to be outside too.:clap:

Yep, she wants to be outside reeeaaallll bad!! Of course what the camera can't portray is the whinening that went along with the position she was in, and Harvey took his time strolling around (sure he knew she was getting her paws in a twist!)

That's two for the price of one...I like a bargin...:LOL:

Longing...that's a lovely fitting theme, I first thougth the plant was a problem but after looking a bit longer...no it's ok and fills the spot nicely...as you said pity about the missing tail but when you see a shot you got to go for it before it's gone and you don't always get a second chance.

Re-shoot Reflection as said by Daysleeper40 fits the theme perfectly and well composed...(y)

But feel just a tad of of saturation to lift the colours a little and you would have a much stronger shot and a absolutely beautiful and stunning photograph...:clap::clap::clap:

Superb shot for Longing, it fits the theme so well (y) Good reshoot for reflection too (y)

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I took the light down in the reflection shot slightly, as the reflection off the water and the sunlight conspired to burn out the lilly in the top right hand corner. I guess I overdid it. Will definitely sort it out.

thanks again, as ever lots of useful and encouraging comments.:D

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I took the light down in the reflection shot slightly, as the reflection off the water and the sunlight conspired to burn out the lilly in the top right hand corner.

Ok I think it's time for you to try the burn/dodge tools...:naughty:

They can work wonders with tricky lighting...;)

Good luck...(y)

Ok I think it's time for you to try the burn/dodge tools...:naughty:

They can work wonders with tricky lighting...;)

Good luck...(y)

That sounds interesting, where would those be located then...I only have elements 6

Wish I had a garden like that :) Colours are lovely and it whispers 'tranquil' - a very nice reshoot!

And longing is great :) my cat sits on our window like that eyeing up squirrels :D and it suits the theme brilliantly - love the two 'frames' within the frame :)

A good pair of shots Angela :) (y)

Angela I love the Longing shot, what a brilliant piece of inspiration and a great shot as a result. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well done for doing a reshoot too, don't think I will manage this week. It's a good picture but I agree it's a little flat but just a step away from being great (y)

That sounds interesting, where would those be located then...I only have elements 6

Well your in luck then... I've only got Elements 6... but it's still great for what my standards are at the moment...

You will find it right below the Heart shape at the bottom of the tool bar...

if you right click you will have a select of three to choose...

it's a great one to add to your list of Photoshop skills...

Good luck...(y)

Yes I do shoot raw, the problem is that the lilly's were burnt out, and in trying to fix them (my poor photshop skills) have left the shot less than great. The good thing about raw is that I can always go back to it later when my skills have improved!!

Ok, stuck for inspiration this week, by the time it gets dark, I am alseep!! Harvey (being a black lab) is my dark prince, but resizing pictures of him leads to terrible loss of clarity!!

Then on a walk with the doggies through the woods, the term 'in the dark dark woods, struck me!

So here is my dark dark woods, on a moonlit night!

Dark_Dark_woods_edited-1.jpg

Lessons learnt!

It is easy to overdo changes and they need to be kept as suttle as possible.

I need to work out how to make changes in only one area of the picture so as not to affect the whole!

I really like photography!!!

I like the composition, perhaps a bit overdone on the green hue / saturation though.
I'm enjoying seeing how we interpreted the theme this week.
Mark(y)

I like it, there's an almost painting-esque feel about it (y)

:plus1:

It reminds me of the sort of picture you might see in a child's story book which started something like ....

"Once upon a time, in the deep, dark, dangerous woods lived a very ferocious ......"

Very atmospheric, and definitely fits the bill for 'dark'. (y)

Photography's great, isn't it!! :D:D:D

Jean

It reminds me of the sort of picture you might see in a child's story book which started something like ....

"Once upon a time, in the deep, dark, dangerous woods lived a very ferocious ......"

Very atmospheric, and definitely fits the bill for 'dark'. (y)

Photography's great, isn't it!! :D:D:D

Jean

This is what I thought too (y)

Good interpretation and it has some real atmosphere to it :clap:

Its a fine image, as has been said maybe a little oversaturated.

The composition is ace, nothing to fault there, you have a good eye.

I would have liked it to have been a little darker, B&W maybe?

Your leading line takes me to a bit of blue sky, maybe a more threatening sky would work?

Hope you can forgive me giving my (half) thoughts, heaps of potential in that image.

I like the composition, perhaps a bit overdone on the green hue / saturation though.
I'm enjoying seeing how we interpreted the theme this week.
Mark(y)
Fair point, :D I did try other treatments, but I liked this the most. (the original picture was taken in broad daylight on a sunny day)
Thanks, I hadn't looked at it like that, but I agree :D

It reminds me of the sort of picture you might see in a child's story book which started something like .... :LOL: Right up my street then!!

Very atmospheric, and definitely fits the bill for 'dark'. (y) thanks Jean :D
Photography's great, isn't it!! :D Yip! :D
Jean

Last edited:
screams book cover to me :D - love the lead in lines..

good work :D
:D Thanks Kenny :D

Its a fine image, as has been said maybe a little oversaturated. Fair enough! :D

The composition is ace, nothing to fault there, you have a good eye. Thank you! :D
I would have liked it to have been a little darker, B&W maybe? hmmm interesting thought. :)
Your leading line takes me to a bit of blue sky, maybe a more threatening sky would work? Ok, might have a play with it later for my own amusement. :)

Hope you can forgive me giving my (half) thoughts, heaps of potential in that image.
All thoughts welcome and greatfully received. There are always other points of view and fresh ways to look at things!! :D :D

OK, cheating a little as this photo was taken the same week as the giraffes shot, but it just cannot be anyhting else!!!! :naughty:

Simples!

Simples_0800_copy.jpg

I would just like to thank the lord for a simple week, as with essay and revision on the cards, I really needed it this week!! :woot::woot:

Wow here I am looking at your Dark and your already on the next theme...:eek:

I didn't know we had one yet!:D

The Dark works really well for me and reminds me of The Yellow Brick Road for some reason...it's great...brilliant lead in lines...:clap::clap::clap:

Lovely shot...:love:

Simples it's a nice capture but not enough in focus for me... if it was just a bit more sharper it would be better with the background more oof. Plus because of the way the ground is made up you could proberly clone out the one that's almost out of shot...(y)

Back