Any fungi fans

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Discuss any findings here finds this year where when what etc
Looks like being a good season here in Devon
In the last couple of weeks I've found plenty russula's boletes inkcaps and amanitas still waiting for my first fly agaric this season though

Last edited:
Found some nice Stinkhorns this morning and we're seeing a lot of fungi activity including some, unfortunately, well chewed Larch Bolletes.

I enjoy finding the poisonous ones as much as the edible ones. Last year I found Destroying Angel, Death Cap, False Death Cap, Panther Cap and Brown Roll Rim. As well as a wide variety of Bolettes last year we found Amethyst Deceiver, Hedgehog Fungus, Woodland puffball, various Honey Fungus and Oyster Mushrooms.

If you ever get up around East Sussex in the Autumn I can give you a guided tour of my favourite spots. The highlight of last year was finding several incidents of Lactarius quieticolor which was thought to be very rare.

Lactarius quieticolor by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

you can normally get some beautiful fly agaric around blackwater area in the new forest :)

see quite a lot of fungi on our forest walks, but for the life of me couldn't tell you what each one was

any good recommendable (cheap) books available?

see quite a lot of fungi on our forest walks, but for the life of me couldn't tell you what each one was

any good recommendable (cheap) books available?

Books-wise this is one of the subjects it’s worth spending money on a decent guide, as the cheaper ones only cover the most common species, and don’t give enough info for positive identifications.
The 2 below seem well recommended, I’ve got a decent book at home but can’t remember the title…
Someone else can maybe tell you more about these books as I’m interested enough to have bought a good book but not enough to eat what I think I’ve identified!

'Mushroom and Toadstools of Britain and Europe' by Courtecuisse and Duhem.
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=19970307940

Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and North-West Europe by Marcel Bon
http://www.nhbs.com/mushrooms_and_toadstools_of_britain_and_north_west_tefno_23882.html
New version due out in 2011

QS

I've got fly agaric ticked off now.

Lovely specimen in pretty good condition, saw it on thursday. No pictures though, it was tipping it down so I didn't have my cam with me.

I did get a shot of this beautifully coloured russula though

The rain has really kicked the fungi into gear in my area!

I took these last week in a wood in Herefordshire at the insistence of my 7yr old son - not too sure what any of them are though !

First time I've posted anything so hope it's worked

Here are some of mine but have no idea what they are lol
3107504756_7bf8d81967_z.jpg

3107510222_0e6215ab70_z.jpg

3106703909_5d20ede6d2_z.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
I posted this a few years ago and was informed it was Dryad's Saddle (Polyporus squamosus)

It measured some 50cm across, and was on the edge of a road I used to commute along daily, here in Northamptonshire.

Found this one last month near Loch Ard, by Aberfoyle. Don't have any way of identifying it or knowing why it is in that condition.

fungus.jpg

Plently of Laccaria amethystina around at the moment.

One of my favourite species.

Lots of russula about at the moment

This is one from the wifes big planter in the garden Hope It's worked..

004.jpg

H..:)

I took these last week in a wood in Herefordshire at the insistence of my 7yr old son - not too sure what any of them are though !

First time I've posted anything so hope it's worked

This is a Dog Stinkhorn, not found one yet this year

Edit LOL see someone already said it LOL

Mapping some of my areas out for the rut this yr here around Theford Forrest, and have come across what i would discribe as a plentyful of fungis, never have i seen so many in such a small area, at least i can keep myself busy photographing something as i move through...

One I shot the other day, I think it is Coprinus Plicatilis :Common Name: Fairy Parasol. Not 100% sure though so any positive ID welcomed please.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some very interesting shots in this thread. It is an amazing year for fungi. I have never seen so many.

BTW Albi, I am not an expert but I would probably have said yours is a Hare's Foot Inkcap - Coprinus lagopus. However, I am usually wrong!

If anyone is interested I have posted all my fungi shots in my 52 thread. You can see them by clicking here and navigating through the following pages.

Jenny

Last edited:
heres my three
p3030.jpg

p5005.jpg

p6055.jpg

i know two of these hoof fungus an elves cup but dont know the other
regards ian

Last edited:
Back