Any fungi fans

Id go with velvet toughshank (y)

took a few shots of some the other day, looks like were gonna have another fab year hunting :banana:

I'd second that one Dave, good call. Especially after the image I got last year and the research I had to do to identify it I would say it is Velvet-Shank (Flammulina velutipes)

According to the text they Season autumn-spring (so may be a good sign that spring is on its way :))

Interestingly it is one of the few agarics that survive frost, so very possible to see them at this time of year.

Indeed I hope this is going to be a good year for fungi foraging and can't wait to get my wellies on and head off out into the wild. Just hope we get some fine days as my camera doesn't like the wet weather.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Wow Andrew they are pretty impressive, never seen anything like that before (y)

Hiya Andrew,

That is a beauty of a Jew's Ear, well done, great photo!

Did you fire the flash for this one? Only asking because of the bits of light reflection.

A brilliant image though :clap:

Cheers

yes had to use a bit of flash as it was it up a bank darkish and couldnt use my tripod due to location

Wow so you took that handheld, amazing well done.

I actually think the light adds to the image, livens it up.

Well done!

Some great shots on here folk :D and at last I have found a resting place for my only Fungi shot.

p45.jpg

Some cracking shots here - and the ID's help too. You seem like fungi's and fungals to hang out with. Groan...

Hiya Rich,

Wow that is a lovely bright shot and a fab find.

Well done

Cheers

These photos were taken in my mum's garden last year. I'm not sure of the names of them. I'm glad i found this thread. I will be keeping a close eye on it to help me identify different species.

Hi all did'nt see this thread when I first posted my fungi shots. Some cracking shots here, found these today so I thought I would post it up !

Scarlet Elf Caps (Sarcoscypha Austriaca).

Scarlet Elf Cup by DUPONT7, on Flickr

Any comments welcome (y) :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Hiya,

I went for a walk in the woodlands a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get round to posting this till now:

5532680967_bc5f02e2e3_b.jpg

5532681525_7d6ff48756_b.jpg

5533264378_bd372cb0df_b.jpg

5533264016_906381cdee_b.jpg

5532682009_788c17d205_b.jpg

Glad the fungi season is returning :D

Cheers

hi...first visit here..........

afternoon walk in January.......beginner..dont know what they are
902c9d44.jpg
[/IMG]
and
8b5b1aa4.jpg
[/IMG]

my post #105

hi...first visit here..........
afternoon walk in January.......beginner..dont know what they are

anyone ID please...?

for fungi id the first thing is to know your trees, certain fungi only grow on or around certain trees so if you know what its on your halfway there !!, another is to try and capture the underside so that you can see whether it has gills, pores tubes, etc

examples
1. Amethyst deciever which is fairly easy to spot due to its colour but note the underside has gills

Amethyst Deciever by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

2. bay bolete note this has pores

Bay Bolete by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

3.There can be distinguishing features such as some type of ring on the stem which is found on all the amanita genus

Fly Agaric by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

4. then you have some weird and wonderfull

Stinkhorn phallus impudicus by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

Wrinkled club or Clavulina rugosa by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

any excuse to get my stinkhorn out lol
and get yourself a decent book Roger Phillips "mushrooms" is a good choice and be prepared to be confused and be careful if you're not sure leave well alone they can KILL or at the very least make you very ill

Last edited:
thanks...i shall be more observant on my walks...:LOL:

I love the edible fungi found in the woods around Somerset

Heres the most tasty Ive come across

GreatWoodSomerset014.jpg

and some definatley NOT edible

Ediblefungi.jpg

taken with an old bridge camera last Summer

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back