Any fungi fans

4987787454_608ff4f434_z.jpg

Orange birch bolete.

Wow a thread for Fungi Fans, I like this :D

I have recently taken a very keen interest in fungi and find myself venturing out into the woods whenever possible (and weather permitting).

Over the last two weeks, since I got my camera back repaired, I have been doing some photography catch up, and what better time than now when there is so much seasonal activity. The autumn leaves and fungi make such a lovely combination for composition.

I had posted a thread of some of the fungi I have found so far, link http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=264201, prior to me stumbling across this one, so if you would like to pop past and see them, it will save me having to repost the photos here.

I will however contribute to this thread, both photos and information as I get more.

The photos that are here are amazing and an inspiration and give me a challenge to go out and find similar species.

Thanks for the great thread.

Take care

Dawn :)

ID required please :D :D (y)

img0758dc.jpg

img0759nd.jpg

img0760pw.jpg

all of these were found about 30 feet from the cliff edge at St.Govans a few weeks back, remembered this topic so thought I would snap them :)

Is it weird to find fungi out in the open on the edge of sea cliffs as they always seem like something you'd find in the damp dark woods?

Cheers

drew

Last edited:
A few more, any id's welcomed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Albi

#1 Glistening inkcaps - Coprinellus micaceus
#2 bracket mushrooms

never seen and dont want to the 3rd LOL

Thanks Dave, I'll update my flickr names for them ;)
The lens fungus was on my Olympus om10's 50mm lens.

thank you Dawn
one more

1. Cauliflower fungus

Cauliflower Fungus by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

Great stuff! I was just reading about this species today and was hoping to find some of this today, although I wasn't out for very long because I only managed to get out late afternoon.

One thing I did notice is that the fungi in the forests near me seem to be dying down now and it is harder to find them.

So well done finding this nice specemine of Cauliflower fungus.

Cheers

Great shots - few questions if I may; which ones can you eat and whose brave enough to eat it?!

Loving the shots though, I might go fungus hunting tomorrow and see if I can get some shots. Wheres a good place to start looking - darkish places in woodlands?

Hi I wouldn't recomend picking any to eat unless you are 110% sure what you are picking as some edibles can be easily confused with DEADLY species
As for where to find woodland is good just get used to looking down and you'll be amazed what you'll find. If you interested get yourself a book roger Phillips mushrooms comes highly recomended I've got quite few different fungi on my flickr site

I'll second that comment on edibility. There was a case the other week of a girl who was very lucky to survive having mistakenly eaten Deathcaps.

Shrooms are currently my favourite thing to photograph. I went into Epping Forest today with my husband and was pleased to find a few different varieties compared with my local woodlands :)

Having a sort through now as only just got home and want to see them on the screen :)

I found this under a tree in Sutton Hoo, Suffolk:
I think its a Fly Agaric.
129987210.jpg

I found loads of other types too I think 'stinkhorns' etc.

Mark

Last edited:
Last edited:
<snip>1st and 2nd fungi of the year quite surprised to find some in good condition considering the severe cold and snow recently <snip>

Hiya Andrew,

Nice find there and well done, they are fab pics.

Looking forward a good year of fungi foraging this year as I started a bit late last year.

I am really looking forward to the spring-time and summer.

Look forward to seeing your pics this year.

Cheers

Nice shots Andrew, I was surprised yesterday when I went out and found some, found some deadmans fingers in fab condition, and also a few others so looks like we are going to have a good year, had a look for the scarlet elf cups but no sign of them yet,

Last edited:
Jelly Ears

IMG_3054.jpg

Nice shot Ian, especially for this time of the year (y)

nice find havent found any of those my self but am determined to have a good fungi year here's a couple from late last year

Leaf parachute by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

this one was feautured on autumnwatch

Snapping Bonnet by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

one more this got loads of views on flickr and yes i know my sensor needed cleaning

Twig Parachute by Andrew Barrett UK, on Flickr

Wow Andrew, what can I say ..... I always look forward to your fungi shots :) and congrats on the 'autumnwatch' one.

All I can say is ..... watch out TP us fungi fans are back with a vengence and here is wishing you all a very successful 2011 fungi forage!

I can't wait to see the pics! Not to mention that my feet are already itching to get out walking in the woods for fungi hunting and my battery (that is the camera battery) is charged and ready for the take! :LOL:

I've even got another 6 weeks renew on the library books I borrowed last year (sorry to those who are waiting for them), but I need them to identify all the many species I hope to find this year.

Bring on the fungi fest I say!!!!

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I'm going to go on a fungi mission tomorrow morning not expecting much but you never know

Ditto! my wellies are waiting by the front door, camera charged and I am ready! I'm going to go the the places in the woodlands in front of my house where I found most of my species from last year, and see what kind of action is going on there. Want to get an early start this year, as it was quite late in the season when I started last year. I want to watch the progress and view how the woodlands come to life from winter to winter this year.

If there isn't much in the woodlands, I may just head off out in the car to Springwood (where I found quite a few others last year) and into the field accross from there.

It will be interesting to see if some of the ones I took last year, especially the Velvet and Fly A come back again :)

Good luck with you forage and look forward to any pics you get.

Cheers

D :)

First Fly Agaric I ever photographed was this one a few months ago. Had to get down in the dirt......

5047291688_5d0177b3b6_z.jpg

Allan

Hi Allan,

That is a nice example of a Fly Agaric and I like the angle at which you have taken it. Well done on you for getting down in the dirt to get it.

I can't wait to get out to do some fungi foraging, wanted to go last and this weekend to see what is springing up, but unfortunately the weather has not been on my side.

Cheers

I got these last week, love fungi but need help with identification, lol

Fungi6-Copy-1.jpg

Fungi2-Copy.jpg

Fungi4-Copy.jpg

Back