Anyone else in FP4party?

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Posting this a bit late, really; I meant to suggest it earlier. But, as per the title, is anyone else in F&C taking part in FP4party?

The general idea, for those who don't know about it, was to shoot as much FP4 as possible during "shoot week" (a couple of weeks ago now), then get it devved in "dev week" and post the results on twitter in "post week", which is this week, tagged with #fp4party. A group is forming a shortlist from shots each day, and participants will get to vote on the winner after the end of post week (24th December). The twitter account organising it is @FP4Party.

There are some very nice shots being posted (about 120 per day so far)...

They have other parties from time to time, so I will try to remember to suggest joining in. However there was a suggestion that next would be HP5party, and HP5 is not a film I like.

I also don't like HP5 but I really love FP4, so I'm sad I didn't know about it. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from it though, sounds like there's a lot to look through!

I also don't like HP5 but I really love FP4, so I'm sad I didn't know about it. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from it though, sounds like there's a lot to look through!

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier then!

I've just remembered that twitter seems to have a problem sometimes with images when searching for #fp4party. To see all the images, you might need to change your twitter settings to allow display of "sensitive" images (IIRC).

I've seen some great results from HP5 in larger formats, but sadly I shoot pretty much exclusively in 135, where I often find the grain too obtrusive. However, I suppose it would be worth a roll, which is part of the point I reckon!

If I'd known I'd have thrown a spanner in the works with another of my colour FP4 composites. If only I could find my spare dark green gelatine filter to replace the one that blew away and landed, of course, in long green grass where I could not find it.

If I'd known I'd have thrown a spanner in the works with another of my colour FP4 composites. If only I could find my spare dark green gelatine filter to replace the one that blew away and landed, of course, in long green grass where I could not find it.

You can enter anything that was shot in Shoot Week (4-10 December) on FP4+... no need to pre-register or anything, so if you've got one that fits, go for it!

From @FP4Party:

"* BREAKING NEWS UPDATE *
Day 1 - 120 images posted
Day 2 - 118 images posted
Day 3 - 129 images posted
Day 4 - 124 images posted
Day 5 - 114 images posted
Day 6 - 90 images posted

One day left in #FP4PARTY post week. Make it count everyone!!!"

So, last day of Post Week for FP4Party! I had aimed for one a day but threw in a few extra this morning (why not). Twitter search for #fp4party, but as noted above you might need to change Twitter settings to accept sensitive images to see them all (even definitely non-sensitive ones!). Seems like a bit over 100 images have been posted most days:

@FP4Party sent this tweet a little while ago:

"Judges will compile a shortlist for publishing (most likely in January) and party peeps will vote for their favorite from the list. Based on the results from our recent poll, the next party will be in January. Dates will be published within the next 2 - 3 days."

So yes, there will be another FP4Party soon. If there's interest, maybe we could make it a side challenge, adding a #TPFandC tag as well as #fp4party (I checked; it appears that #TPFC is used by a few different groups). Anyone up for that?

I got one in - (a reject from TPFandC - Reflections) @dmbloor

News just in from @FP4party:

"PR Newswire For Immediate Release JAN FP4 PARTY DATES SET The tribe voted for an encore therefore an encore the tribe so shall receive
1f447.png

ShootWeek: Jan 1 - Jan 7
PostWeek: Jan 15 - Jan 21

RT early & often & Par-TAY!!"

That's a bit earlier than I was expecting, but at least confirms I should load another roll of FP4!

Odd, FP4Party Retweeted it - but was not on my list of Tweets - so retweeted it to myself - I can see it now.

...and so can I!

...and so can I!
Apparently, according to my IT consultant (son), if you have the @ sign as the first character of a Tweet it goes as a semi-private message. So need to put any character except an @ or a space at the beginning. So that is today's lesson.

Apparently, according to my IT consultant (son), if you have the @ sign as the first character of a Tweet it goes as a semi-private message. So need to put any character except an @ or a space at the beginning. So that is today's lesson.

Ah yes. One corner of my brain new that, in days of yore, but I sort of thought it had gone by the board with the new ways of working... aka forgot!

I've added a thread with my FP4party shots in it over one the F&C images sub-fourm. D'you want to add yours, @dmb?

Here's a couple that I rather liked: one of the several Kenilworth Castle in the snow shots...

1712BPMXBW33 by Chris R, on Flickr

... and one of the sledging shots...

1712BPMXBW09 by Chris R, on Flickr

Both taken with Pentax MX, Vivitar 35-70 zoom and FP4+ (of course).

Thanks, Nige. I called it "Echo", with reference in my mind to the shape of the branch and the sledge. Cheesy I know.

News just in from @FP4party:"PR Newswire For Immediate Release JAN FP4 PARTY DATES SET The tribe voted for an encore therefore an encore the tribe so shall receive

ShootWeek: Jan 1 - Jan 7
PostWeek: Jan 15 - Jan 21

RT early & often & Par-TAY!!"

That's a bit earlier than I was expecting, but at least confirms I should load another roll of FP4!

So the next FP4party starts in 2 days time! All you need is to take pics with FP4 in those 7 days, choose the better ones and post them in the period Jan 15-21! That's not hard. We could also add the hashtag #TPFandC as well as #FP4party!

So the next FP4party starts in 2 days time! All you need is to take pics with FP4 in those 7 days, choose the better ones and post them in the period Jan 15-21! That's not hard. We could also add the hashtag #TPFandC as well as #FP4party!

Got the Nikon N8008 loaded. Will see what i can do.

This was the only one I had (and liked enough) shot in the December shoot window - a reject from Reflections

2017-12-06-0012e

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Yashica FR and Yashica ML f/1.4 - FP4+ ID11

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone! Found out a bit more about FP4party etc... @whatsbehindthat tweeted:

"#fp4party is done kinda monthly. February is redscale time #BIFscale18 (look at #BIFscale17 for examples) end of April I think is Pinhole day. in summer there is the #SummerFilmParty, that is done more or less with the same rules of the #fp4party. can't remember more :D"

And somewhere in there is #deltadefjam!

Not sure I can do FP4party monthly!

EDIT: and, I discover, #neopantastic and #Tmaxparty!

Last edited:
OK, massive thread revival here. The second round of 2019 #FP4Party on twitter has just finished; I put in 13 shots from 1 roll in total on the 7 days of Post Week (ending last Sunday). The third and last round starts Monday 4th March. Just as a reminder, the sequence is: week 1 is Shoot Week, week 2 is Dev Week, and week 3 is Post Week.

So how about a few more folk load a roll of FP4+ and get shooting next week? I remember @Carl Hall saying what a massive fan of FP4+ he is...

Posting is easy, you just post the images on one or more days of Post Week on twitter with the hashtag #FP4Party. Most people identify the day (in the past they've shortlisted images from each day), and something about the shot, camera, etc.

Although I exclusively shoot Delta and Fomapan ( exception made for IR film) I do have one roll of FP4 in the fridge that I was given.

I'm no longer really tempted by competitions of any sort tbh, however this event would I guess give me an excuse to shoot the roll through my M4

The biggest issue for me is I am not ( and don't particularly want to be forced to be) subscribed to twitter or any other social media.
I was with facebook for a short while ( somewhat pressurised into signing into it by family) and I hated it...still do!

I suspect there is no other way to be involved with this event other than being part of the twitter group, if not then count me out….Sorry!

I might have a roll somewhere, trouble is I don't really like FP4 but it might be a good excuse to run it through an old camera.

Although I exclusively shoot Delta and Fomapan ( exception made for IR film) I do have one roll of FP4 in the fridge that I was given.

I'm no longer really tempted by competitions of any sort tbh, however this event would I guess give me an excuse to shoot the roll through my M4

The biggest issue for me is I am not ( and don't particularly want to be forced to be) subscribed to twitter or any other social media.
I was with facebook for a short while ( somewhat pressurised into signing into it by family) and I hated it...still do!

I suspect there is no other way to be involved with this event other than being part of the twitter group, if not then count me out….Sorry!

I don't think it's really a competition, more of a celebration, of the film. I gather you can also post shots on f€cebook, presumably tag them with #FP4Party, but I've no idea how to do that!

I might have a roll somewhere, trouble is I don't really like FP4 but it might be a good excuse to run it through an old camera.
Don't like FP4???? Do try a roll, maybe it'll convert you ;)

Don't like FP4???? Do try a roll, maybe it'll convert you ;)
So I’m thinking this might be a way of getting more out of FP4 but either I’m completely think and a Luddite (no need for any comment @Asha ) but I don’t understand how you enter or how people vote or even find basic info, it maybe because I’m a bit Twitter-phobic but I’ve searched the twitter page and done a search on FaceSpace and I’m still none the wiser. Can you point me in the right direction Chris?

erm bit harsh Nick when millions over the years have used it...maybe you meant to say "I have used better films that suit me..........."

Nope, neither Nick nor I like fp4...... Nothing wrong with not liking something, millions of people like Justin Bieber, I can't stand the little twonk. :D

erm bit harsh Nick when millions over the years have used it...maybe you meant to say "I have used better films that suit me..........."
Millions may have used it and I’m one of them but I don’t really like it and yes I’ve used better films.

erm well guys it's just that I couldn't see anything wrong with FP4 and in the past went through a craze of most B\W films and different developers and settled on FP4 as a good all rounder much like Fuji Superia 200.
Mind you if better B\W films have come out since the 80s then I'm in a time warp of thought. :eek:

Tbh in defense of Nck, Andy and others, I am not keen on FP4 either hence why the roll that I have wasn't purchased by myself.

erm well guys it's just that I couldn't see anything wrong with FP4 and in the past went through a craze of most B\W films and different developers and settled on FP4 as a good all rounder much like Fuji Superia 200.
Mind you if better B\W films have come out since the 80s then I'm in a time warp of thought. :eek:

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just isn't a film I like using, I don't really like HP5 either however I do like Delta so I'm not against all Ilford films

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just isn't a film I like using, I don't really like HP5 either however I do like Delta so I'm not against all Ilford films
I don't like HP5+ in 35mm as it's too grainy, but it's OK in 120. FP4+ is my most used film (read - there's a lot of it in my fridge!), but Acros is the one I will miss when it runs out. I've tried Tri-X with HC110, but I don't get anything like the quality that Simon Ess gets from that combo. I've previously tried Delta 100 and 400, but went back to FP4+. I got a couple of rolls of Delta 100 and Fomapan 400 when I was in Ffordes last week, so they'll be getting trialed at some point and I guess I'm looking for Delta 100 to be an Acros replacement.

Ah, Acros, probably the greatest black and white film in my opinion. Fuji should be shafted with the rough end of a ragmans trumpet for discontinuing it. :bat:

I 'm not very keen on medium speed films, full stop. But when I moved to 5x4 the lack of PanF in that size meant that I started using FP4 and came to quite like it. That's not to say that I wouldn't prefer to use Acros in a Quickload, but I've only got one sheet of that left for a rainy day (subtle pun intended). I'll use FP4 in 120 when I want a fast film, otherwise it's PanF. I miss Adox KB14 :(

So I’m thinking this might be a way of getting more out of FP4 but either I’m completely think and a Luddite (no need for any comment @Asha ) but I don’t understand how you enter or how people vote or even find basic info, it maybe because I’m a bit Twitter-phobic but I’ve searched the twitter page and done a search on FaceSpace and I’m still none the wiser. Can you point me in the right direction Chris?

I agree with you, Nick, that any "instructions" are well and truly hidden. I think I worked it out by induction or some such weird process. However, this post on Emulsive (https://emulsive.org/articles/introducing-fp4party) gives you the gist of it.

Generally on twitter if you do a search with #FP4Party, you should get the posts with that tag, but of course that includes all the image posts etc. I just checked out @FP4Party (https://BANNED/FP4Party) and it gives slightly more accessible results including the information that the next shoot week starts tomorrow.

Back