Anyone else use 500px?

Dont forget, you can change your URL so that you can link to your portfolio view in 500px... for example:

http://jamesoliverstone.500px.com

:)

When you do this, there is no link out of your portfolio to the rest of 500px or your other photos. Very useful indeed - gives you a very nice standalone portfolio with virtually no effort. Would be handy if they added password protection to galleries within your portfolio- unless it's there already and I just haven't found it yet.

When you do this, there is no link out of your portfolio to the rest of 500px or your other photos. Very useful indeed - gives you a very nice standalone portfolio with virtually no effort. Would be handy if they added password protection to galleries within your portfolio- unless it's there already and I just haven't found it yet.

The only downside to it, is you cant then sell your images. You can only sell them from your "main" 500px site not your portfolio.

Wow thanks for posting this, I'd never heard of the site before reading the thread and it looks to be a really great website. Thank you!

Been spending quite a bit of time doing my tags only to find that 500px does not search by tag, just title, anybody else found that?

Yep you are right. You can search tags once you have searched the word, but only the ones that come up beside the results, not ones the you specifically want.

Thats a little annoying as it does seem a little pointless doing the tags in the first place, hopefully they may sort this.

For example I have a image of Concorde but I don't necessarily want to put it in the title as I like giving my images a title related to the image. Even when you have search for the word 'Concorde' it does not come up in the tag list it produces.

I like how the 500px site seems to have incoorperated aspects of social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook (Following friends and posting on walls). It makes a great photography sharing site, I think they've done well and I can see their site being very successful !

Thank you for sharing.

The only downside to it, is you cant then sell your images. You can only sell them from your "main" 500px site not your portfolio.

That's a bit daft! I haven't enabled selling as I can't imagine anyone every buying one of mine but selling from your portfolio seems a complete no-brainer.

Last edited:
im in, scarletmango!

I am http://500px.com/amirkhan - have not uploaded any photo's there yet though. I will reserve it for my very best photographs I think - so it might be unused for a while lol

I believe it was started in 2005 but they have just launched version 2.0 which is the version you are using now. Now they are gaining a lot of publicity and lots of people are coming from flickr to 500px.

They are in constant development so features will be added all the time.

I've just added to the Blog feature. I've been thinking about doing a photo blog for a while now, with 500px it's easy :clap:

Steve

I have followed everyone who followed me. Please follow me if you would like me to follow you.
Cheers,
Dub

well ive signed up, put a few of my favourite photos up but they dont seem good enough after looking at the standard on there!
http://500px.com/bobsmith

Think I'm following everyone on here!

Last edited:
have you created a collection?

yea created a collection but it wont let me put anything in it, when it says add photos to collection it will let me select them but does`nt put them into the portfolio ?

UPDATE : Just sorted it .... opened it in Firefox instead of Explorer .... worked fine... microsoft b@@@### s

Last edited:
Nope. They arent really big enough for a decent print though.

there is some outstanding work on there, its a real pity we dont see some of that quality posted here more often!

Question for people who have turned on the selling feature: I have turned off exclusive download sales and I don't want to licence downloads for resale or distribution. Is there anything else I should turn off? Also are the default prices sensible?

Anyone tried putting a link from Facebook to a portfolio? As soon as I put the portfolio URL into Facebook, a whole load of 500px gobbledygook appears. It's horrible. Any way to stop it?

Think I'm up to date with everyone now.
I do wish some of you had posted those photos up on here - my friends feed definitely holds its own against some of the popular/editor's choice!

It's interesting to see that one of my images that never got particularly good crit here seems to be doing well on 500px. It just must be the wider audience that prefer different styles of shot. The voting system is quite good though, each vote is worth less and less as you get more of them.

[dream] One day I'll shoot images that are as good as some of those on there [/dream]

Steve

Yay, one of mine is on "upcoming" No idea what that means, but yay anyway!

Ahahaha ;)

btw peeps, I'd very much appreciate some comments on my photos.
I can deal with any criticism on my pics ! I'm sure I'll end up with plenty =D

try posting your comments here on the forum, ask for critique...;)

Back